Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah with dealerships always negotiate on out the door price otherwise they do that BS

I went to a used small-town dealer because there was truly nothing good I could find on CL for my first bike.

Offered $2200 for the ex500 (not out the door, just the bike), it was in very clean condition and it was an '07, he balked at that. Told him his price was hilariously high, showed him examples, showed him the NADAguides value. Offered $2500 out the door (was $3000 + taxes fees originally). He took it. The invoice had $300-something in fees/taxes/things, and $21xx for the bike. :j:

edit: it probably helped that I'd been looking at that bike for 7 months on their website, and 95% of their business were used harleys, busas, and gixxers.

spouse fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Another goon ate it on gravel there this weekend without being an idiot. So yeah, it's hella dumb to go in blind turns like that.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
rip :mootmoot:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's loving April, and I've still got all my winter gear because on Monday it was 10 degrees.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's loving April, and I've still got all my winter gear because on Monday it was 10 degrees.

gently caress you it's mid 20s there now and English April Summer is in full effect and I still haven't seen double digit temps* here since last loving year.

*that's positive loving temps

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

gently caress you it's mid 20s there now and English April Summer is in full effect and I still haven't seen double digit temps* here since last loving year.

*that's positive loving temps

The official high was 24, but I live in the dystopian urban hellscape that is E14, with it's ridiculous microclimate, so it was loving stupid hot.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
At least it wasn't raining as well as hot, like it will be in a few months! :shepicide:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
My pop just got an Ultra and is pressing me hard to buy his Road King. I don't need money anyways.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’d own the gently caress out of a Road King at the right price, especially if it wasn’t my only bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

I’d own the gently caress out of a Road King at the right price, especially if it wasn’t my only bike.

It must be amazing having a bike where you can jump on, fire it up and decide to go for a ride to the other end of the country...

...and not having the immense disappiontment in yourself as a human being that comes with that bike being a goldwing.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

It must be amazing having a bike where you can jump on, fire it up and decide to go for a ride to the other end of the country...

...and not having the immense disappiontment in yourself as a human being that comes with that bike being a goldwing.

I chuckled. I'd own a goldwing. Those rolling couches (Ultras, too) are amazing in their own right.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've given some thought to the idea of renting a Gold Wing Tour so the girlfriend and I could go riding for a few days, as a way to see what a rolling couch was like. I was just looking at the specs and they only hold 5.5 gallons of fuel. I dunno what I expected, but it was more than that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

20L is a shitload though?

Keep in mind if you ride a goldwing as intended, the fuel mileage is like double what a harley big twin can manage.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Slavvy posted:

20L is a shitload though?

Keep in mind if you ride a goldwing as intended, the fuel mileage is like double what a harley big twin can manage.

I guess I had this mental association between the size of the bike and expecting something like a 7 gallon fuel tank. It looks like 40 mpg is the reported average rolling down the highway, so that's better than 200 miles which is nice.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I would love to ride one. I know they're pigs, but drat I bet when you pin the throttle on the highway it's like a goddamn freight train.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
In my limited experience the only thing the big tourers like a Goldwing have over the larger sport touring rides like the FJR/Concours/BMW KGT is passenger comfort and a little more fuel and/or luggage capacity. And, specific to the pre-2018 Goldwings, a fuckload of buttons and switches around the dash that you'd never use.

There's a reason so many Iron Butt riders go with those bikes over Goldwings or Ultras. I see old dudes riding Goldwings by themselves and wonder why they'd deal with an 800lb beast around town for solo riding when some bar risers and lower pegs would make an FJR just as comfortable (actually sold my FJR to an old dude with an Ultra who had the same idea).

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jazzzzz posted:

In my limited experience the only thing the big tourers like a Goldwing have over the larger sport touring rides like the FJR/Concours/BMW KGT is passenger comfort and a little more fuel and/or luggage capacity.

Well, that and 500cc and two cylinders.

That's the thing that I'm most curious about with the Gold Wing is that 1800cc flat six.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

In my limited experience the only thing the big tourers like a Goldwing have over the larger sport touring rides like the FJR/Concours/BMW KGT is passenger comfort and a little more fuel and/or luggage capacity. And, specific to the pre-2018 Goldwings, a fuckload of buttons and switches around the dash that you'd never use.

There's a reason so many Iron Butt riders go with those bikes over Goldwings or Ultras. I see old dudes riding Goldwings by themselves and wonder why they'd deal with an 800lb beast around town for solo riding when some bar risers and lower pegs would make an FJR just as comfortable (actually sold my FJR to an old dude with an Ultra who had the same idea).

It's cause old people only ride what other old people tell them to. There's an entire magazine dedicated to being old and having a goldwing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Well, that and 500cc and two cylinders.

That's the thing that I'm most curious about with the Gold Wing is that 1800cc flat six.

The Wing has a little less hp, way more torques, but is carrying around another ~200lbs too. K1600GT is the middle ground motor and power-wise between the examples I was using.

It all comes down to personal preference, but riding the previous-gen GL1800 felt like piloting a barn to me. The new one is way smaller in person but I haven't ridden one.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Naked goldwings definitely do it for me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
One great thing about Wings is how smooth the engine is, it's like an electric motor even at WOT

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The beauty of perfect balance. I'm told the I6 BMW is quite similar but with a lot more zing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Pulled the Hawk GT I sold Coydog off my insurance today and my annual premium went UP $40. "You lost your multiple bike discount" "I still have two bikes on that policy" "Call your local agent"

Must be time to go insurance shopping again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
tell em you changed your mind and got the bike back

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

nsaP posted:

tell em you changed your mind and got the bike back

eh they're trying to jack my home insurance rates too, so it's probably a good time to go talk to Jake from State Farm

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Insurance has gone all over the place for me over the last 6 months, with every company stating that the risk pool for our area is now higher for some weird reason. I’m talking Geico going from asking for $89 a month for a car to $130. State Farm pulled the same poo poo, raising the rate by 15% over 6 months with no change in driver history. :confused:

I’ve got the feeling some CEOs are looking at the historically “business friendly” political parties in charge so they’re figuring it’s the best chance they have at just screwing people and getting away with it. Even if we were to figure out companies are colluding in our areas, what the hell can we do about it?

That said, Progressive still thinks the Zero motorcycle is “1 cc” in displacement after I exhaustedly explained over the phone that there is no gasoline motor in the bike, so their risk pool calculation is all hosed up and offering me $120 a year for full coverage. :smugmrgw:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That is very good to know, I’m shopping for an fxs in the near future

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I just got back in town from a trip, get on my bike, start it up, and it vomits coolant everywhere. The outlet from the radiator is broken off from the housing and the radiator stay (a horizontal mount at the top of the radiator that connects the rad to the bike) is broken in half. No sign of any other damage. It was parked on a public street. It doesn't look like the bike fell over or was hit. What the gently caress?!

The damage is in between the cost of my comp and collision deductibles so I am torn on making a claim. I could replace the rad myself for under $400 but that's only assuming the fans are OK and nothing else was damaged.

I have no clue how this happened.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ripoff posted:

Insurance has gone all over the place for me over the last 6 months, with every company stating that the risk pool for our area is now higher for some weird reason. I’m talking Geico going from asking for $89 a month for a car to $130. State Farm pulled the same poo poo, raising the rate by 15% over 6 months with no change in driver history. :confused:

I’ve got the feeling some CEOs are looking at the historically “business friendly” political parties in charge so they’re figuring it’s the best chance they have at just screwing people and getting away with it. Even if we were to figure out companies are colluding in our areas, what the hell can we do about it?

That said, Progressive still thinks the Zero motorcycle is “1 cc” in displacement after I exhaustedly explained over the phone that there is no gasoline motor in the bike, so their risk pool calculation is all hosed up and offering me $120 a year for full coverage. :smugmrgw:

i'm confused are you saying you did something like correct them on that?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Razzled posted:

i'm confused are you saying you did something like correct them on that?

Progressive kept asking about the size of the engine in CC’s so I told them it’s fully electric, so I think they just assigned it a “size” of 1 cc and that may have messed up their risk pool formula. They have the VIN and everything so I have no idea why they can’t have their adjusters and risk analysts do a 5-minute google search to add a line in their systems. The person on the phone seemed genuinely confused but they got the VIN perfect, so I have no idea what’s going on there.

A MIRACLE posted:

That is very good to know, I’m shopping for an fxs in the near future

It’s a good bike, and Zero is crazy about pushing dealers to let folks go for a test ride.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"What's the bike called?"
"Zero. "
"Ok. How many cc's?"
"Zero. "

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tyro posted:

I just got back in town from a trip, get on my bike, start it up, and it vomits coolant everywhere. The outlet from the radiator is broken off from the housing and the radiator stay (a horizontal mount at the top of the radiator that connects the rad to the bike) is broken in half. No sign of any other damage. It was parked on a public street. It doesn't look like the bike fell over or was hit. What the gently caress?!

The damage is in between the cost of my comp and collision deductibles so I am torn on making a claim. I could replace the rad myself for under $400 but that's only assuming the fans are OK and nothing else was damaged.

I have no clue how this happened.

Post a pic. Bunch of my friends have used the ebay rads on anything from racebike to tourer and been fine. Also wouldn’t really ever make a claim for anything that’s not an mva.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

M42 posted:

Post a pic. Bunch of my friends have used the ebay rads on anything from racebike to tourer and been fine. Also wouldn’t really ever make a claim for anything that’s not an mva.

Thanks. Yeah I could definitely fix it myself on the cheap as long as there's no hidden damage, that possibility is the only thing that had me even thinking about insurance. I had what I thought was a minor crash a long time ago and then discovered frame damage, so I'm a bit cautious there.

In the first pic you can see the radiator is slightly bent. The second shows the broken fitting on the other side.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh hey VA buddy! Yeah that's a bizarre spot for it to break, even if dropped, since it's not sticking out to the side... I say just throw an ebay rad on honestly

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

M42 posted:

Oh hey VA buddy! Yeah that's a bizarre spot for it to break, even if dropped, since it's not sticking out to the side... I say just throw an ebay rad on honestly

Yeah it almost makes me wonder if it was vandalism.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I have never purchased a bike new from a dealer. I decided to do some price shopping at the local dealer and then CycleTrader for a 2017 FZ09, because I really like that bike and am probably going to sell my Multistrada in the next few weeks.

Local dealer has the bike listed for $7699, including the $750 rebate from Yahama. Initial price they gave me out the door is just shy of $9K, told them I had to do some comparisons and would let them know.

Go home, fire up Chrome, and find another dealer 5 hours away that has a 2017 FZ09 listed on CycleTrader for $7085, including the rebate. Out the door = $8483.18, INCLUDING TAX - breaks down to 450 for freight, 289 assembly (BS fee), 159 doc fee, 15 title + temp tag, and the remainder is tax. Sales guy on the phone was honest and easy to deal with, and if he were local I probably would've picked up the bike today.

Just for grins, I searched nationwide on CycleTrader and found a bike in Temecula,CA that's listed for $5999. OK - even if I pay $600 in shipping this will still probably put me ahead of the game. Call to get an out the door price, guy says he'll call me back - 3 hours later, he calls with the out the door price at $7839 (keep in mind there's no tax in that figure b/c I'm out of state). Wouldn't break the extra $1839 down. 25% in bullshit dealer fees? Sure, why not.

What is it about vehicle dealers, car or bike/powersports, that requires such douchebaggery? Enough with the BS, just mark the poo poo with a reasonable out the door price right up front and set yourself up for return visits from the customer to the parts and service department where you make your money anyway.

Also, if anyone is interested, there's a dealer just outside St. Louis (Holzhauer) blowing out 2016 XSR900s for $6757 out the door before sales tax. They have 3 left on the floor but they'll only hold one for 48 hours and make it damned near impossible to deal with them if you can't get to the dealership.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

TBH, I think all prices should be listed with tax etc. Anything else seems like a deceptive practice at best.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I just posted recently about a friend trying to buy a $5000 fz07 but the dealer wanting to add $2500 in fees. It's good though, it keeps me from ever doing something like buying a brand new bike.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

pokie posted:

TBH, I think all prices should be listed with tax etc. Anything else seems like a deceptive practice at best.

It is.

Curiously here in AU every sale on any goods or services that includes our equivalent of sales tax (GST) has to have the GST included in the declared up front price, but bike/car dealers still pull that poo poo with registration and other dealer fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

In Georgia if a dealer advertises a price they can only add tax and title. The dealer fees etc. they can blow out their rear end. I’ve tangled with the last dealer over that and got them to cut me a check for the bullshit fees after talking to consumer protection division of Georgia.

http://consumer.ga.gov/uploads/Auto_Informer_-Issue_12_-_2013-11-14.pdf

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 3, 2018