Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is extremely 90s, but also extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think the recent Houseki no Kuni has some of the Lain/Eva appeal though its very different from both.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Paperhouse posted:

I'm in the mood for something 90s as heck. I have watched and very much liked Eva, Utena, Lain and Escaflowne, and while these aren't all similar I feel like they're high quality, mostly serious shows with good/interesting plots/themes. What could I try next?

edit: someone will probably say Cowboy Bebop, which I have tried and couldn't really get into

Boogiepop Phantom :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Golden Boy, the most 90s anime.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Madlax and Noir are early 00's but have a very 90's Anime feel to them. Kinda slow paced and wonky outside the fight sequences though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Haibane Renmei yet. :hr:

Julias fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 2, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's insanely messed up that people keep mentioning 00s series when they said they want something 90s as gently caress!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

I think the recent Houseki no Kuni has some of the Lain/Eva appeal though its very different from both.

Yes, noted 90s as gently caress anime Houseki no Kuni :rolleyes:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

It's insanely messed up that people keep mentioning 00s series when they said they want something 90s as gently caress!

Plenty of early 00s series have a late 90s aesthetic to them, smdh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why the gently caress is nobody suggesting Outlaw Star? :colbert:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why the gently caress is nobody suggesting Outlaw Star? :colbert:

Because someone already recommended it?

Also it's not a very serious anime, imo. Cool as hell, but not really serious.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Giant Robo is the best suggestion because it started in the early 90s and ended in the late 90s. So you really get a taste for the entire 90s.

Also giant robo is the best anime.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AnoHito posted:

Because someone already recommended it?

Also it's not a very serious anime, imo. Cool as hell, but not really serious.

It's not Cowboy Bebop serious but it's fairly self serious. That's kinda part of the 90s aesthetic. Even early eva has some silly hijinks.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

DisDisDis posted:

I have seen it already and it is great. Thanks for the recs, I'll check a few of them out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paperhouse posted:

I'm in the mood for something 90s as heck. I have watched and very much liked Eva, Utena, Lain and Escaflowne, and while these aren't all similar I feel like they're high quality, mostly serious shows with good/interesting plots/themes. What could I try next?

edit: someone will probably say Cowboy Bebop, which I have tried and couldn't really get into

Darkside Blues, Night on the Galactic Railroad (I know it's 80's, shut up).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Paperhouse posted:

if you're okay with something that's not actually from the 90s, give MEGALOBOX a shot, it's consciously made to look like a show from the 1997-2003ish time period where digital ink and paint were just starting to cross over to anime.

also, re: Bebop, my advice would actually be to start with episode 5 if you're broadly familiar with all the characters. the first four episodes are good but, being pretty much setup, they're not as good as where the show eventually goes, and it can be a little tough to get through if you already know all the setup from pop culture osmosis and don't quite know what you're anticipating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, re: Bebop, my advice would actually be to start with episode 5 if you're broadly familiar with all the characters. the first four episodes are good but, being pretty much setup, they're not as good as where the show eventually goes, and it can be a little tough to get through if you already know all the setup from pop culture osmosis and don't quite know what you're anticipating.

There's actually a reason for that! Bebop was originally sponsored by Bandai's model division, and had a standing mandate of "give us ships we can sell as kits". Hence the heavy use of the fighters early on.

Then they got four episodes into production. Bandai's model division saw what was made, went "uh... we can't market these ships... :byewhore:", and pulled funding. Watanabe got very lucky though, because the video division of Bandai heard about what happened and decided to front the bill instead with no "must sell kits" mandate attached. Hence the sudden and mostly-permanent shift to character-driven plots :eng101:.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, it's less that (though you're not wrong that the general style of the show feels different) and more the amount of... table-setting, for lack of a better way of putting it. the first 4 episodes, aside from what you mentioned, are basically there to get the gang together and show the viewer who everyone is, and... if you already know who everyone is, that's not incredibly engaging.

meanwhile, 5 is the first Vicious episode and one of the best in the entire series. like, I bought CB at Best Buy when I was like 14, and I already knew broadly what it was about and who everyone was from seeing bits on Adult Swim and being on /a/, and the first 4 episodes were kinda cool but not really grabbing me... and then Ballad of fuckin' Fallen Angels happened and I immediately fell in love with the show because that might be one of the best single episodes of an anime ever.

e: holy gently caress, apparently when TV Tokyo first showed the series in 1998 they literally only showed half the series, and more or less a random assortment (apparently due to the show being too violent). they skipped Asteroid Blues (the first loving episode), Gateway Shuffle, Ballad of Fallen Angels, Sympathy for the Devil, Black Dog Serenade, Mushroom Samba, and every episode after Speak Like a Child, instead following that episode up with something called "Mish-Mash Blues" that was basically the production team's way of telling audiences the show got hosed over.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 2, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, it's less that and more the amount of... table-setting, for lack of a better way of putting it. the first 4 episodes, aside from what you mentioned, are basically there to get the gang together and show the viewer who everyone is, and... if you already know who everyone is, that's not incredibly engaging.

Nooo, this is direct from Watanabe himself. I know because I was actually there to hear him say it at his panel at the Madman Anime Expo. Episode 5 onwards was them slipping the leash and freely shifting the show away to what they wanted it to be, it wasn't all buildup leading to it.

Again; "Must sell model kits".

I also had my DVD boxset of Cowboy Bebop signed by Shinichiro Watanabe :smuggo:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 2, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like i edited in, i'm not saying you're actually wrong, more that it's not so much the basis for my statement

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why do people think Megalobox looks even remotely like late-90s early 00s digipaint? I feel like people are confusing their nostalgia for Cowboy Bebop with reality

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
reality is ugly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

or looks like a bad dvdrip of a 90's show, though you can still tell it's being done digitally instead of on cels so :shrug:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AnoHito posted:

Yes, noted 90s as gently caress anime Houseki no Kuni :rolleyes:

I can't in good conscience recommend an anime from the 90s since the first good anime, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, came out in 2006

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

I can't in good conscience recommend an anime from the 90s since the first good anime, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, came out in 2006

Uh excuse me but Elfen Lied came out in 2004. :colbert:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
wait unironically Witchblade came out in 2006 and might be of interest to OP

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

The first bad anime*

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is extremely 90s, but also extremely good.

so 90s it was released across the entire decade

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wanna watch some sort of genre show that doesn't take place in our (modern) world. no slice of life stuff, something plot and character heavy. isekai and technically not isekai but the setting is that same MMO-esque game mechanic drenched medieval fantasy need not apply

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i wanna watch some sort of genre show that doesn't take place in our (modern) world. no slice of life stuff, something plot and character heavy. isekai and technically not isekai but the setting is that same MMO-esque game mechanic drenched medieval fantasy need not apply

*Grins devilishly* Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like i edited in, i'm not saying you're actually wrong, more that it's not so much the basis for my statement

Ah gotcha, my bad.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

12 Kingdoms

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Might be too close to our (modern) world, but Concrete Revolutio.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

*Grins devilishly* Legend of the Galactic Heroes

This, but unironically.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A lot of fantasy stuff is somewhat isekai generally, even stretching back into the early 80s. I guess it depends how strictly you define it, is someone who gets transported from our world to another world an isekai, in your view?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also serious reply: Coffin Princess Chaika

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Shinsekai yori?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Moribito
Rainbow
Garo: Seal of Flames
Maria the Virgin Witch

e: i guess if even period shows in our world are disqualified, you can ignore Rainbow but it fits everything else.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

A lot of fantasy stuff is somewhat isekai generally, even stretching back into the early 80s. I guess it depends how strictly you define it, is someone who gets transported from our world to another world an isekai, in your view?

i'd be fine with something like escaflowne if i hadn't seen it, that was more a qualifier to avoid modern ln adaptation dreck that would technically qualify along the other critera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

i'd be fine with something like escaflowne if i hadn't seen it, that was more a qualifier to avoid modern ln adaptation dreck that would technically qualify along the other critera

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.