Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There are always going to be some units that are more valuable than other units, in a given tournament meta. Thus I agree, some units have fundamental power advantages. But that's just how it's going to be in reality. The goal isn't to remove power advantages, because that's impossible. IMO, the two goals are:

2. Make the power advantageous units the troop choices (or severely regulate so armies are NOT dumb poo poo like 9 plagueburst tanks or 9 demon princes).

I mean yeah, a game with this many variables at this update rate is going to have imbalances. But my point was not that this isn't going to happen, but that ANY unit that is being spammed is being spammed because it has an advantage and it needs to be fixed. It doesnt matter what role it has - just because it's a "troops" doesnt mean it's okay. Troops should not be inherently imbalanced and if you're taking more of them than other units (which most armies ALREADY do) then it's because of a specific role they're playing in the army.

That shouldn't be controversial as GW is already committed to rebalancing at least once a year with minor rebalancing at the half mark.

Also, let's be clear, if we're justifying "fluff" as the reason troops spam is a good thing then like half the armies have the wrong units in their troops categories.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I hear you that a unit being spammed means it’s the best. But there’s always going to be a best unit in an army.

Whatever is the best unit in an army, will be the unit played the most. Thats only a problem if it’s easily stomping other armies.

“There are lots of venoms, troops, and ravagers in Drukhari lists” is only a problem if they steam roll all other armies.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40,000: 8th Edition Copiarum Imperio Delenda Est

According to Google Translate that's "Supreme Command Detachment" in Latin

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There's always going to be an "X" though. The design structure of the game is such that, for a given tournament meta, something will be the most efficient. At which point people will take as much of "X' as they can. When that allotment is full, the they will then take "Xii".

It doesn't matter if "X" is 1pt more efficient or 1000 pts more efficient, because the observable behavior in list building is ordinal preferences.

Actually if it's 1pt more efficient the game outcome then chalks up to the RNG and skill way more than the list building.

You're essentially arguing it can never be perfectly balanced so why try. The answer is because there IS such a thing as 'relatively balanced'. Will the meta still be dominated by spam and theory crafting? Probably, but most of it will be for little realized gain if it's for 1pt effeciencies.

Do you ever get to stop and say "okay it's balanced now"? No. Even the original StarCraft still gets balance patches I think. Is this game monumentally more difficult to balance than StarCraft? Probably, there is a shitload more asymmetry in this. Still, at the core if you can dial in costs you can be reasonably balanced.

Recost stuff, see what gets spammed, recost stuff etc and so forth.

The more things costed appropriately the better for the game as a whole.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Technowolf posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40,000: 8th Edition Copiarum Imperio Delenda Est

According to Google Translate that's "Supreme Command Detachment" in Latin

Call it High Gothic and then pretend that whatever butchered Latin phrase Google spat out was totally intended.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, that's the Primaris Kill Team I was talking about in that post. You'll still be able to take a squad of just Reivers or whatever, just like you can take a squad of just Vanguard Vets or Bikers.

Sure, but if I can also take them as Troops why wouldn't I?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Quite possible that the special ammo will make them cost more?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

Quite possible that the special ammo will make them cost more?

Unless the price is exorbitant I would gladly pay it for Aggressors or Inceptors that can add +1 to hit stuff in cover, wound non-vehicles on 2+, add 6" and get -1AP, or subtract 6" and get -2 AP. Inceptors dropping in and shooting something with 6 S5 AP -2 shots each would be pretty brutal.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The new kill team is likely to model itself after the normal space marine one. You'll be able to take the variants, but you'll need a base of standard dudes first.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

The new kill team is likely to model itself after the normal space marine one. You'll be able to take the variants, but you'll need a base of standard dudes first.

That wouldn't be surprising. A core of 5 Intercessors wouldn't be too bad, especially combined with Aggressors. I'm not sure how well Reivers or Inceptors would synergize, maybe Hellblasters.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There's always going to be an "X" though. The design structure of the game is such that, for a given tournament meta, something will be the most efficient. At which point people will take as much of "X' as they can. When that allotment is full, the they will then take "Xii".

It doesn't matter if "X" is 1pt more efficient or 1000 pts more efficient, because the observable behavior in list building is ordinal preferences.

That seems like an odd thing to say. Most units aren't generically good, they're good at something. Hellblasters are fine, but if you made them a few points cheaper they wouldn't suddenly become a hard spam unit. You'd see more and they'd be better but it wouldn't be much better against melee stuff or hordes or whatever. If you made them 5 points each though, then I'd make an army of hundreds of the guys and it'd probably be point efficient to use them as a melee only force.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TTerrible posted:

Remember when Warhammer threads on SA mocked people like Dr Thunder instead of harbouring them as top posters.

The good old days™

Neurolimal posted:

I just find it fun to debate stuff. If you keep an open mind at best you'll persuade someone towards your line of thinking, learn something new (be it in general or the people you're talking to) and at worst you realize you're wrong and can now have a more informed stance. I dont see any benefits to letting yourself be shouted down.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded. Now, gently caress off with your flimsy rationale for fetishising robot skeleton toys you weird arse.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Being able to put some ablative wounds in the way of your aggressors would massively improve them. They're deadly but lord they die in a stiff breeze.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

General Olloth posted:

Actually if it's 1pt more efficient the game outcome then chalks up to the RNG and skill way more than the list building.

You're essentially arguing it can never be perfectly balanced so why try. The answer is because there IS such a thing as 'relatively balanced'. Will the meta still be dominated by spam and theory crafting? Probably, but most of it will be for little realized gain if it's for 1pt effeciencies.

Do you ever get to stop and say "okay it's balanced now"? No. Even the original StarCraft still gets balance patches I think. Is this game monumentally more difficult to balance than StarCraft? Probably, there is a shitload more asymmetry in this. Still, at the core if you can dial in costs you can be reasonably balanced.

Recost stuff, see what gets spammed, recost stuff etc and so forth.

The more things costed appropriately the better for the game as a whole.

I am 100% arguing for balancing the game as best as it can be. In this case 'relatively balanced' as you said. I also agree that iterative balancing should occur. But you just admitted the meta will still likely be dominated by spamming the best units (however we define "best" for a given meta). I think it's cooler and more fluffy if it turns out that the core troop units are the units people spam instead of 9 demon princes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded. Now, gently caress off with your flimsy rationale for fetishising robot skeleton toys you weird arse.

Not sure how "sentient robot has a disposable body and can do with it however they want, because they can resurrect" is a filmsy rationale. It's not like Necrons are practical designs in the first place.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A German version of kill team benefits have leaked. Inceptors give the squad fall back and shoot, Reivers the LD debuff, Helblasters just the gun, and Aggressors remove the penalty for moving with Heavy Weapons and advancing with Assault weapons.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unless the price is exorbitant I would gladly pay it for Aggressors or Inceptors that can add +1 to hit stuff in cover, wound non-vehicles on 2+, add 6" and get -1AP, or subtract 6" and get -2 AP. Inceptors dropping in and shooting something with 6 S5 AP -2 shots each would be pretty brutal.

Aggressors and Inceptors don't get SIA, and that's probably for the best.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They're not Troop choices? I honestly don't understand.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 2, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A German version of kill team benefits have leaked. Inceptors give the squad fall back and shoot, Reivers the LD debuff, Helblasters just the gun, and Aggressors remove the penalty for moving with Heavy Weapons and advancing with Assault weapons.

Aggressors and Inceptors don't get SIA, and that's probably for the best.

They're not Troop choices? I honestly don't understand.

Whoa, those seem like strong buffs for Aggressors

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
On the other hand, anchoring a 5-man Intercessor squad around an Aggressor for a heavy base of fire that gives no fucks about anything sounds awesome.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Motherfuckin mandrakes, goddamn those things are tough. 17 points for deep strikers with 18" weapons that mortal wound on 6, tons of attacks, 8" movement, 5+ invuln. Yikes

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Whoa, those seem like strong buffs for Aggressors

5 Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles, 4 Plasma Inceptors, and an Aggressor will have a lot of mobile firepower, with 10 effective T5 wounds for protection.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MasterSlowPoke posted:

5 Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles, 4 Plasma Inceptors, and an Aggressor will have a lot of mobile firepower, with 10 effective T5 wounds for protection.

5 Intercessors with Stalker Bolt Rifles, 4 Heavy Hellblasters, and an Aggressor will have a poo poo load of more-mobile-than-usual firepower and truly absurd AP all around.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Probably not worth the reduction of shots.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Probably not worth the reduction of shots.

I mean, you say that, but I think wounding all Tyranids on 2s potentially rerolling 1s with AP-2 might make up for a lot of bullets not fired. Against smaller targets you can get up to AP-4. They'd definitely be the "heavy/elite infantry surgical removal tool" version of the kill team.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is it safe to assume that Sisters will be based on 32mm because Veridyan and the Geminiae were? Eisenhorn and all the AoS stuff is going 32 so it seems like a no-brainer.

I found my pile of metal SoB's (:woop:) and they're about all I need to bring my guard from 1k to 2k.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

moths posted:

Is it safe to assume that Sisters will be based on 32mm because Veridyan and the Geminiae were? Eisenhorn and all the AoS stuff is going 32 so it seems like a no-brainer.

I found my pile of metal SoB's (:woop:) and they're about all I need to bring my guard from 1k to 2k.

If it's in Power Armor it'll be on a 32mm.

Mechanicus and Sisters and Scions are all kind of calling to me as an Imperial army, though. Ugh.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Motherfuckin mandrakes, goddamn those things are tough. 17 points for deep strikers with 18" weapons that mortal wound on 6, tons of attacks, 8" movement, 5+ invuln. Yikes

Oh I forgot they get -1 to hit them

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Not sure how "sentient robot has a disposable body and can do with it however they want, because they can resurrect" is a filmsy rationale. It's not like Necrons are practical designs in the first place.

alien skeleton robot has a ribcage => alien skeleton robot has tits is a hell of a stretch you loving weirdo.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, if you really want more than 30 Terminators (which in fluff terms represents nearly a third of the entire Deathwing I think?)

Only for the purposes of the Inquisitor standing there with a tallyboard.

It's long been hinted that the Dark Angels ignore the 1000 man limit for the purposes of an expanded Deathwing and Ravenwing. The current codex is quite explicit about this in that the composition for each of companies three through ten add up to 100 Space Marines. But companies one (Deathwing) and two (Ravenwing) have "undisclosed" numbers of squads.

Two Beans posted:

Aren't there also veterans in power armor in the DA 1st company?

1st company Deathwing are always in terminator armour.

There are Deathwing members who are not assigned to the first company, and they can wear power armour. For some reason, in this edition Dark Angels Veterans don't get the Deathwing keyword, so they don't get the Deathwing buffs. Outside of their bodyguard rule, they don't seem to serve much of a purpose. So pointless, in fact, that they're not actually listed in the (fluff purposes) force organization chart. It isn't clear if that's an error by GW or more ignoring the 1000 marine limit.

Safety Factor posted:

Don't forget the 30 tartaros terminators and 30 cataphractii terminators. It's simply IMPOSSIBLE.

We can rehash this again I guess. All Deathwing armies were part of 40k from the 2nd edition up until the rule of 3. Games Workshop released the rule of 3 in a rushed response after their dev team was repeatedly crushed by spammy armies. They forgot that Deathwing existed, possibly because terminators aren't used competitively.

Players could work within the rule of 3 and go buy Cataphractii and Tartaros terminators to fill out a "Deathwing" army. But Deathwing models are better, people already have them and no balance benefits arise from prohibiting 4+ Deathwing squads.

It'll get fixed once Games Workshop remembers Deathwing exist. And in the interim it doesn't matter because no one is taking terminators to a tournament, or objecting if someone did.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Let me guess, you play skyrim/the sims/whatever with all the nudity and sex mods you possibly can because "they can do whatever they want and it's more realistic" you creepy weirdo. At least people who do that are doing it in the privacy of their own homes rather than forcing other people to play with their weird fetish models.

Your argument also doesn't hold up given your long effortpost on alternative sisters, of which your favorites were the ones with giant power armor tits because "their armor is fancy and gothic and baroque not practical, it makes sense"

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I am 100% arguing for balancing the game as best as it can be. In this case 'relatively balanced' as you said. I also agree that iterative balancing should occur. But you just admitted the meta will still likely be dominated by spamming the best units (however we define "best" for a given meta). I think it's cooler and more fluffy if it turns out that the core troop units are the units people spam instead of 9 demon princes.

Okay I'm with you there actually, I was making the same argument the other day in person. At least then all the armies will LOOK like armies with actual footsoldiers.

Yeah I know it would mean elite armies are less good in the meta, but also, :shrug:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Okay I'm with you there actually, I was making the same argument the other day in person. At least then all the armies will LOOK like armies with actual footsoldiers.

Yeah I know it would mean elite armies are less good in the meta, but also, :shrug:

In my opinion, a perfect world would have troops units being the most efficient by something like 3-5%. Perfect balance is an impossibility, but things being that close means that you're less likely to win simply by virtue of a netlist, and the netlists would actually look like armies and be interesting to play against.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
How much money has been blown on Neuroliminal's avs?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Terminators are pretty expsensive points wise and power lv wise. You could fit more than 30 into an average list but I'm not sure it'd be functional plus you can only deep strike half that now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

Terminators are pretty expsensive points wise and power lv wise. You could fit more than 30 into an average list but I'm not sure it'd be functional plus you can only deep strike half that now.

I usually keep a unit of shooty termies around to deep strike with Lysander but I'm considering going with inceptors to pop in and soften up the targets for him to follow up instead. Less commitment for the same purpose, shielding the big guy till he can drag that hammer over

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Impaler posted:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Like an IG army's worth at this point

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I usually keep a unit of shooty termies around to deep strike with Lysander but I'm considering going with inceptors to pop in and soften up the targets for him to follow up instead. Less commitment for the same purpose, shielding the big guy till he can drag that hammer over

Getting Lysander in as safely as possible is aces for a plan. You rarely see him so when he starts doing poo poo people just poop when he hits at like strength 10 on 3s. Surrounded by rerolling terminators. Give them plasma for funsises.

I did Abbadon with ten slaanesh terminators with plasma, an a term sorcerer with prescience. With the shoot twice strat they hit on 2s with two rounds of shooting, with rerolls, so they can safely overcharge. They ripped the primaris tank off the field in one round along with everything else in 12 inches.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

The Impaler posted:

Get well Lowtax!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

Getting Lysander in as safely as possible is aces for a plan. You rarely see him so when he starts doing poo poo people just poop when he hits at like strength 10 on 3s. Surrounded by rerolling terminators. Give them plasma for funsises.

I did Abbadon with ten slaanesh terminators with plasma, an a term sorcerer with prescience. With the shoot twice strat they hit on 2s with two rounds of shooting, with rerolls, so they can safely overcharge. They ripped the primaris tank off the field in one round along with everything else in 12 inches.

Marine terminators can't really take plasma except I think on tartaros sergeants, which really sucks. I'd love a unit of combi plasma + lightning claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Booley posted:

Marine terminators can't really take plasma except I think on tartaros sergeants, which really sucks. I'd love a unit of combi plasma + lightning claw.

Space Wolves can. All other chapters forgot that other Combi-weapons for Terminators was a thing