Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenomrph posted:

Did the Warhammer Fantasy Tomb Kings have any female characters?

One, and she was a tittymummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
In fairness the tomb kings mummy queen had ornamental bronze tiddies. And probably stuffed her wrappings to get any curves.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hustlin Floh posted:

she was full of sass and poison and she's awesome in total war

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Xenomrph posted:

Did the Warhammer Fantasy Tomb Kings have any female characters?

High Queen Khalida. She was a badass and made one hilarious TK gimmick build viable in 8th where you just took here and like 100 Archers and they shot a lot of poison at people.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Corrode posted:

High Queen Khalida. She was a badass and made one hilarious TK gimmick build viable in 8th where you just took here and like 100 Archers and they shot a lot of poison at people.

I ran that build for a while (in 6th / 7th). It was what convinced me to give in and get movement trays.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Hustlin Floh posted:

Anck-Su-Namun had some bangers, pre and post mummification

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ross Perowned posted:

I'm finally buying my first army, and I've decided on Tyranids. I'm looking to drop $400-450 on my first purchase, and I'm wondering what I should buy. What I come up with so far is this:

2 x Start Collecting! Tyranids = $150
2 x (12) Termagant box = $50
2 x (12) Hormagaunt box = $50
1 x Hive Tyrant = $45
2 x (3) Venomthropes = $110

Total = $410ish

I plan to make the Venomthropes into 5 Zoanthropes and a Neurothrope. I would by a Carnifex box, but everyone seems to be sold out. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

As a Tyranid player for nearly ten years, the best advice I can give you is not to buy 75+ bugs in one go unless you want to see all that stuff on ebay in six months.

Otherwise, Hive Guard are a key part of an active and healthy lifestyle for any growing hivefleet.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corrode posted:

Yes you can. They aren't affected by things which require drawing range to them because they aren't on the battlefield, but they can have stratagems used on them.

Thank you, goons forums poster Corrode.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TTerrible posted:

Remember when Warhammer threads on SA mocked people like Dr Thunder instead of harbouring them as top posters.

I mean, I think Hollismason is still banned from posting in this subforum.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

xtothez posted:

Otherwise, Hive Guard are a key part of an active and healthy lifestyle for any growing hivefleet.

And get them while they're still in stock, too.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Entropy238 posted:

– Whether you make Trygons or Mawlocs from the start collecting boxes is personal preference. I've never had much luck with Trygons but Mawlocs are amazing. YMMV.

I have not played for a very long time so maybe things have changed but the best mileage I got from a Trygon was Prime for synapse, and a pile of 20 Termagants in the tunnel with it sporting devourers. They pop up with a monstrous creature in the opponents face and 60 shots plus the prime lightning get to basically assassinate a high value target or clear away some bubble wrap.

Next turn the opponent either diverts both anti-tank and anti-horde fire into that pile, sparing the rest of your army, or takes it on the chin again. The first choice is normally what happens in my experience.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The LGT have published everyone's lists today. Find them here to see some filth. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QuVR2KdfKO08bBLYw9vobghM_xwhejofmtyXQ7LgQU8/edit

Particularly loving Josh Roberts' spin on "no more than 3 of the same datasheet":

ARMY FACTIONS: Chaos Daemons, Thousand Sons, Death Guard
TOTAL COMMAND POINTS: 9
TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 1999pts

Battalion Detachment – Keyword: Daemons [803pts] +5 CP
HQ1: Daemon Prince of Chaos with Wings (170), Nurgle (0), Pair of Malefic Talons (10): Powers - Virulent Blessing [180]
HQ2: Daemon Prince of Chaos with Wings (170), Nurgle (0), Pair of Malefic Talons (10): Powers - Fleshy Abundance [180]
HQ3: Spoilpox Scrivener [75]
Troops 1: 28 Plague Bearers (196), Instrument of Chaos (10) [206]
Troops 2: 3 Nurglings [54]
Troops 3: 3 Nurglings [54]
Troops 4: 3 Nurglings [54]

Supreme Command Detachment – Keyword: Thousand Sons [796pts] +1 CP
HQ4: Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch (166): Powers - Warptime, Doombolt, Death Hex [166]
HQ5: Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with Wings (170), Pair of Malefic Talons (10): Powers - Gaze of Fate, Weaver of Fates [180] RELIC: Helm of the Third Eye
HQ6: Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with Wings (170), Pair of Malefic Talons (10): Powers - Infernal Gaze, Diabolic Strength [180]
HQ7: Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with Wings (170), Pair of Malefic Talons (10): Powers - Infernal Gateway, Glamour of Tzeentch [180] WARLORD: High Magister
Elite 1: Tzaangor Shaman (82), Force Stave (8): Powers - Temporal Manipulation [90]

Patrol Detachment– Keyword: Death Guard [400pts] +0 CP
HQ8: Daemon Prince of Nurgle with Wings (170), Pair of Malefic Talons (10): Powers - Plague Wind [180]
HQ9: Daemon Prince of Nurgle with Wings (170), Pair of Malefic Talons (10): Powers - Miasma of Pestilence [180]
Troops 5: 10 Chaos Cultists [40]

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Should be interesting to see how the mixed Primaris unit thing works out. I wonder how easily it can be changed to just straight up units of those models.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Should be interesting to see how the mixed Primaris unit thing works out. I wonder how easily it can be changed to just straight up units of those models.

I mean, the Index allows them to take regular Primaris units already though doesn't it?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Corrode posted:

The LGT have published everyone's lists today. Find them here to see some filth. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QuVR2KdfKO08bBLYw9vobghM_xwhejofmtyXQ7LgQU8/edit

:words:
Happy and surprised to see a decent variety of Drukhari there. Still a lot of dipping the into Kabal of the Black Heart – Spearhead Detachment for obvious reasons.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
A new game store apparently has been open near me for a while now, and they have an amazing collection of tables, terrain, space, a good number of regular 40k players, and their 40k night lines up with my work schedule.

:shepspends:

If I haven't played since 5th, besides codexes for the races I play (Salamanders, Eldar and Tau), and their decks, what else do I need? Do I need the rulebook since it's free online? Do I need the indexes since everything I play has a codex?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Takkaryx posted:

A new game store apparently has been open near me for a while now, and they have an amazing collection of tables, terrain, space, a good number of regular 40k players, and their 40k night lines up with my work schedule.

If I haven't played since 5th, besides codexes for the races I play (Salamanders, Eldar and Tau), and their decks, what else do I need? Do I need the rulebook since it's free online? Do I need the indexes since everything I play has a codex?

You don't even need the decks unless you want them for keeping track of things a bit better. The rulebook contains a few items that aren't included in the free version and it's not a terrible thing to have generally and I like having physical copies of my media; you can certainly play the game without buying one. Codices for your armies are all better than their Index entries with a few minor exceptions. Unless you specifically want to field a model with a loadout that exists in the Index and not the Codex I'd probably save yourself $30+ on that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Takkaryx posted:

Tau don't exist anymore, sorry. They realized how terrible they were as a concept and walked in single file into the Eye of Terror. So long and thanks for all the Cows.

Unless you need to field something that is in the Index but didn't make it into the Codex (Check the 1d4Chan Tactics page) you should be good.

E:FB

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I find it hilarious that the Deathwatch “screw that thing in particular” table doesn’t have an entry for dedicated transports.

It’s not like two of the best xenos factions have exceptional DTs as some of their best units or anything.

Every imperial knows that filthy xenos minds cannot fathom the concept of riding inside vehicles.

That would be ridiculous,

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bird food bathtub posted:

I have not played for a very long time so maybe things have changed but the best mileage I got from a Trygon was Prime for synapse, and a pile of 20 Termagants in the tunnel with it sporting devourers. They pop up with a monstrous creature in the opponents face and 60 shots plus the prime lightning get to basically assassinate a high value target or clear away some bubble wrap.

Next turn the opponent either diverts both anti-tank and anti-horde fire into that pile, sparing the rest of your army, or takes it on the chin again. The first choice is normally what happens in my experience.

The latest iteration of the Devilgaunt Bomb is more or less the same – 30 Devilgaunts in with a Trygon Prime.

It's quite expensive though. 240 for the Gaunts and 198 for the Trygon Prime is 438 points, and for optimal efficiency you definitely want to be using the Single Minded Annihilation strategem to shoot twice with the gaunts. Hive Guard, if you're running them, will be competing for use of this strategem in the same turn.

You can almost get four Dakka Fexes with Spore Cysts (BS3+, 24 STR 6 shots 1D 0AP, T7/8W/3+) for around the same price as a Devilgaunt Bomb.

I've been burned by Trygons so many times. On paper they've got some quite good damage but they never make their from charge deep strike and the crumple under moderate anti-armour fire with T6/12W/3+. They degrade really nastily too.

e: There's also new beta rules restricting deep strikes in enemy deployment until turn 2, making Trygons even more of a wet fart.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 1, 2018

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

xtothez posted:

As a Tyranid player for nearly ten years, the best advice I can give you is not to buy 75+ bugs in one go unless you want to see all that stuff on ebay in six months.

So is this just a warning on burnout on assembling and painting these figures? My BFF, who's played for a while, says he has "gaunt parties" with his group where they help assemble and possibly paint, so I'm not too worried about that.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Every time I start to object to so many aliens being even humanoid, it gets preempted by my objection at enough aliens running on compatible amino acids for the tyranids to be able to eat everything. Or my objection at all the alien life running on what we’d call organic chemistry, for that matter. Really it’s “bad science fiction” all the way down. Clearly the 40k galaxy is a pansporia situation and most of the humanoid races were created and spread by the Old Ones.

:agreed:

Badablack posted:

I’ll put tits on my skeleton robots if I drat well want to, gently caress the police.

This gets a pass because she’s like that robot lady from Metropolis.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I really wish they would release a Kroot Shaper HQ. He (?) wouldn't even have to be good, just legal so I can bring my 15 year dream of a Kroot Merc force to fruition.

:sigh:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Ross Perowned posted:

So is this just a warning on burnout on assembling and painting these figures? My BFF, who's played for a while, says he has "gaunt parties" with his group where they help assemble and possibly paint, so I'm not too worried about that.

Man, I would totally go to a gaunt party. :( So much left to assemble/paint and doing it with others would be nice.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Corrode posted:

Particularly loving Josh Roberts' spin on "no more than 3 of the same datasheet":

Yeah, this is why I didn't like the 3-of rule. There are just too many cases where you can take a second or third army book and pick the same stuff.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, this is why I didn't like the 3-of rule. There are just too many cases where you can take a second or third army book and pick the same stuff.

At least this way there's an HQ tax you need to pay, it's better to force (HQ + 3) and (HQ + 3) than (HQ + 6)?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

At least this way there's an HQ tax you need to pay, it's better to force (HQ + 3) and (HQ + 3) than (HQ + 6)?

While also making it harder to use the Predator stratagem (requires 3), you can take at most 120 points of kroot hounds, Deathwing is illegal, Biker armies are harder, etc. It's a rule that doesn't really do what it's intended to and has a lot of collateral damage. It's totally possible to build armies around it but it doesn't have zero negatives.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

you're implying HQs are a tax

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NovemberMike posted:

Deathwing is illegal
:thunk:

No, it's not.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NovemberMike posted:

While also making it harder to use the Predator stratagem (requires 3), you can take at most 120 points of kroot hounds, Deathwing is illegal, Biker armies are harder, etc. It's a rule that doesn't really do what it's intended to and has a lot of collateral damage. It's totally possible to build armies around it but it doesn't have zero negatives.

I mean, if you really want more than 30 Terminators (which in fluff terms represents nearly a third of the entire Deathwing I think?) I guess you have a point, although you can still take Knights, Cataphracts, and Bulls?

I think it might have been better to just spike the supreme command detachment to be honest.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
For Deathwatch, I think the optimal 10 man squad for me will be 5 Intercessors, 4 Hellblasters, and an Inceptor. 10 abalative wounds that can deal damage on their own, and close combat protection by being able to fall back.

NovemberMike posted:

I think for most stuff it having the same name on the Datasheet is enough, so you can't have 2 Ultramarine Predators and 2 Dark Angel ones. The Daemon Princes all have different names, though.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, if you really want more than 30 Terminators (which in fluff terms represents nearly a third of the entire Deathwing I think?) I guess you have a point, although you can still take Knights, Cataphracts, and Bulls?

I think it might have been better to just spike the supreme command detachment to be honest.

Taking 7 hive tyrants is trivial without supreme command. The limit of 3 is good.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Schadenboner posted:

Limit of 3 is a solid start, but they should still drop SC from matched options. Death to the Supreme Command detachment.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

:thunk:

No, it's not.

No see I can only take 3 10-man squads of DW terminators and 3 10-man squads of DW Knights and sure that's 2,130 points of stuff with no upgrades but I assure you MY ARMY IS IMPOSSIBLE, SIR

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Master Twig posted:

Taking 7 hive tyrants is trivial without supreme command. The limit of 3 is good.

I was unclear: I think RO3 is at least a passably good idea and that the SCD should have gotten spiked.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, the Index allows them to take regular Primaris units already though doesn't it?

Maybe, it's been awhile since I looked at it. What's interesting is if you can make them all Troops.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

No see I can only take 3 10-man squads of DW terminators and 3 10-man squads of DW Knights and sure that's 2,130 points of stuff with no upgrades but I assure you MY ARMY IS IMPOSSIBLE, SIR
Don't forget the 30 tartaros terminators and 30 cataphractii terminators. It's simply IMPOSSIBLE.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

Don't forget the 30 tartaros terminators and 30 cataphractii terminators. It's simply IMPOSSIBLE.

Oh sure, let's take all the variants, but then I can only take 3 land raiders, 3 Crusaders, and 3 Redeemers to transport them! WHAT THEN, rear end in a top hat

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh sure, let's take all the variants, but then I can only take 3 land raiders, 3 Crusaders, and 3 Redeemers to transport them! WHAT THEN, rear end in a top hat
I... I don't know... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Safety Factor posted:

Aren't there also veterans in power armor in the DA 1st company?