Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In case anyone is wondering, yes Stringent is drunk in the middle of the day, like he often is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
1) It's a holiday.

2) You're a loving cop.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The reason is because there's often extras after the credits.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yes. Although a movie like The Post doesn't have postcreds, yet people sat for that one anyway, but LimburgLimbo made me understand why it is that way.

I've thought more about it, and another reason watching all the credits seems wrong to me is that in local (Norwegian) cinemas, the staff wants the audience to clear out. They wait at the doors with cleaning tools, and occasionally they'll glare at people who don't leave. It'd actually be rude to make the staff wait by staying through the whole credits. There's an unspoken rule of it being okay on Marvel movies where there's often a postcredits scene though. I tend to ask one of the staff if there's a postcreds scene, both so I don't make them wait and so I don't sit there for nothing. Though there's been one time where I learned after the fact that they lied just to get us to leave.

Then again, making the staff wait isn't a Japan issue since trash cleaning isn't a problem. Your cinemas were as clean as everywhere else. I've only been home for a day, and I already miss both the cleanliness and the general courtesy to other people. Even my train ride home from the airport was depressing. A train car of 8 people was noisier than a Tokyo subway car with all the seats taken.

Oh, and I miss warm toilet seats. It's back to freezing my butt off.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 30, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

Oh, and I miss warm toilet seats. It's back to freezing my butt off.

As someone from the North in the US it now kinda blows my mind that this isn’t more of a thing in other countries.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, warm toilet seats should be everywhere, and I hope it's only a question of time before it happens.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

The reason is because there's often extras after the credits.

Marvel has taught the Japanese crowd a little too well.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Japan is outstanding, just a reminder in case anyone isn’t appreciating it enough currently

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

In summer you sit through the credits so you can enjoy an extra five minutes of airco.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If I'm watching a movie alone I always sit through the credits (unless I have to rush out to catch the bus home or something). I like to think Joe Lightrigger would appreciate it when I read his name :shobon:

I'm Norwegian as well and I've never experienced the staff actively wanting me to leave.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I sit through the credits, because I'd want people to see my worthless name in a list of thousands if I was part of a movie production.

Somebody crashed a Mario Kart into the fish and chips place where LimburgLimbo poured ketchup all over my shirt:

god bless

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

This is why you avoid banana peels.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

I sit through the credits, because I'd want people to see my worthless name in a list of thousands if I was part of a movie production.

Somebody crashed a Mario Kart into the fish and chips place where LimburgLimbo poured ketchup all over my shirt:

god bless

Hey that bottle had some issue and literally exploded on its own.

I only pour sauce over people when they pay me extra.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Going to Japan in a few days, but we are trying to work out if we can fit a night at an onsen in instead of staying in Osaka. Does anyone have any recommendations where you can reserve a private bath for the kiso Valley area? Worried it will be a bit touristy there. Near kobe or okayama would also work but I've struggled to fund places which are not >£300 a night or booked out at this short notice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hopefully this will be the straw that gets them to ban those stupid go-karts.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Stringent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dle0zFKFSTw

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
mr donut plains

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is there decent stuff to do in okayama? We're going to spend one day doing a day trip to neoshima but might have another day there

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

I’m a little curious if a “Singaporean woman in her 30s” had a Japan-legal driver’s license, but that’s me.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

There have been plenty of accidents involving the karts and gaijins in the past, anything special about this one? How does the incidence of gaijin kart accidents in Tokyo compare to that of gaijin car accidents in Tokyo?

The karts don't really bother me, I see them basically everyday. Then again I don't drive :shrug:

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 1, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Is there decent stuff to do in okayama? We're going to spend one day doing a day trip to neoshima but might have another day there

Okayama has a nice castle but the cute town views are in Kurashiki. Iirc there's a cat and/or rabbit island around there, too.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Hating on the go-carts is just another example of foreigners in Japan being annoying crybabies that have to complain about everything because they don't like to see other people have fun. Another example is all the hate for the Hub :guinness:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I don't like the Hub because my friends all turn into degenerates after 2 hours and I still haven't been taken to an Izakaya where I feel like a Unique Tourist Snow Flake with Japanese speaking internet friends guiding me across the country

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caberham posted:

I don't like the Hub because my friends all turn into degenerates after 2 hours and I still haven't been taken to an Izakaya where I feel like a Unique Tourist Snow Flake with Japanese speaking internet friends guiding me across the country

Didn’t you feel like a unique snowflake when the goon milf crew took you out?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

caberham posted:

I still haven't been taken to an Izakaya where I feel like a Unique Tourist Snow Flake with Japanese speaking internet friends guiding me across the country

Wow, this is bullshit and you know it.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pointsofdata posted:

I assume you mean Naoshima? If so you'll be going through the Uno port which is about an hour out from Okayama city, but if you have to go through Okayama City anyway, Korakuen is nice. I like the Bizen coastal area east of Uno but I don't know how practical it is without a car. Yubara onsen is a beautiful area, but it's two hours out of town in the opposite direction, so possibly not practical for you.

Comedy option: take the other ferry from Naoshima, come to Takamatsu and eat udon.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

caberham posted:

I don't like the Hub because my friends all turn into degenerates after 2 hours

Lol @ thinking the Hub makes people "turn into" degenerates, as though we weren't the moment we made the decision to buy a point card despite not being college students anymore

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just had onion broth ramen at a place in Osaka and it was sooo good

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just heated up some leftovers that were pretty good.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I did the gokarts while I was there and to be honest we had more problems with taxi drivers intentionally trying to split the group up than we did with people in the group not obeying the rules or driving like idiots.

Maybe I just got lucky and had a good group :shrug:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Gaijin gokarts might be safer than gaijin cars since there's nothing in the kart that changes from righthand- to lefthand-side driving (or so I assume). It's just the traffic rules you'd have to mirror in your head.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wow. Assuming all gaijins are horrible smelly loudmouthed American turds is racist.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wow. Assuming all gaijins are horrible smelly loudmouthed American turds is racist.

Uh oh. It is you who is racist now by assuming they meant Americans, when the vast majority countries drive on the right.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LyonsLions posted:

I assume you mean Naoshima? If so you'll be going through the Uno port which is about an hour out from Okayama city, but if you have to go through Okayama City anyway, Korakuen is nice. I like the Bizen coastal area east of Uno but I don't know how practical it is without a car. Yubara onsen is a beautiful area, but it's two hours out of town in the opposite direction, so possibly not practical for you.

Comedy option: take the other ferry from Naoshima, come to Takamatsu and eat udon.

Oops yes Naoshima, thanks for the advice.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Donnerberg posted:

Gaijin gokarts might be safer than gaijin cars since there's nothing in the kart that changes from righthand- to lefthand-side driving (or so I assume). It's just the traffic rules you'd have to mirror in your head.

Assumption is wrong - Driving on the left hand side of the road while you are seated on the right side of the car actually helps significantly, because it reinforces the feeling that "you are not on the same side of the road." People actually make mistakes when they feel comfortable without having practiced.

Ask anyone who's driven on both sides of the road, and they will tell you that actually learning to drive on the other side of the road is very easy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thought about doing a maid cafe then read up that the area is littered with questionable anime posters and the vibe is kind of creepy and it’s like yeah no. So no hauling an anime body pillow and going to a cafe with moe waitresses asking when I’ll be back home.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

There is no doubt that these maricar companies are counting down to the day that they wipe out a pedestrian, or get wiped out by a truck because they are invisible to trucks.

Wow, how can you oppose having some fun in Shibuya, the transit hub where millions of people have to commute and do business every day?

It's the heart of a city, not a theme park. This poo poo is going to correct, probably after some people get hurt. I'm just a bitter gaijin though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sale on Banksy art posted:

There is no doubt that these maricar companies are counting down to the day that they wipe out a pedestrian, or get wiped out by a truck because they are invisible to trucks.

Wow, how can you oppose having some fun in Shibuya, the transit hub where millions of people have to commute and do business every day?

It's the heart of a city, not a theme park. This poo poo is going to correct, probably after some people get hurt. I'm just a bitter gaijin though.

Ayup.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Assumption is wrong - Driving on the left hand side of the road while you are seated on the right side of the car actually helps significantly, because it reinforces the feeling that "you are not on the same side of the road." People actually make mistakes when they feel comfortable without having practiced.

Ask anyone who's driven on both sides of the road, and they will tell you that actually learning to drive on the other side of the road is very easy.

Fair enough. I'm biased by my father being bad at cars. When I went to England with my family a couple decades ago, my dad nearly got us in an accident when he exited into the wrong lane after a roundabout. And to this day he complains about slamming his hand into the drivers side door when going for the stick on the wrong side.

sale on Banksy art posted:

I have no idea how they get away with loving around on the big boy streets. Touring Akihabara I could understand, but we spotted them in Ginza too. You could say they stuck out a little between the fancy rear end stores and high end cars.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I've rented cars in Tokyo and have driven around the city a couple of times and yeah gently caress Maricar. Tokyo may be easier than driving in, say SF or NY or Beijing or Taipei, but it's still a crowded city.