Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah, I’m not too keen on the whole writing papers but I don’t think MFA would be doing that. Mainly focusing on photography and creating messages through art.

It’s insane learning how much poo poo like color has subconscious meaning, thinking how to speak in visual metaphors. The ideas are there, and I feel like I’m getting close to being able to execute. How framing a subject shows the desired relationship with them, the lighting, everything is on purpose.

Like, I have a series that mixes macro with landscapes but need advice on blending and explaining the semiotic analysis meant to be decoded from the art.

That and if I ever want to teach, I could fall back on it.

EDit: poo poo, never mind. Unless I can pull my GPA by .3 points. Every place wants a pretty high GPA apparently.

drat

Soulex fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Waiting for a decision on my transfer application, but somehow I got an email about campus tours specifically aimed at accepted students... Maybe left hand wants to actually start talking to right hand?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Soulex posted:

Yeah, I’m not too keen on the whole writing papers but I don’t think MFA would be doing that. Mainly focusing on photography and creating messages through art.

It’s insane learning how much poo poo like color has subconscious meaning, thinking how to speak in visual metaphors. The ideas are there, and I feel like I’m getting close to being able to execute. How framing a subject shows the desired relationship with them, the lighting, everything is on purpose.

Like, I have a series that mixes macro with landscapes but need advice on blending and explaining the semiotic analysis meant to be decoded from the art.

That and if I ever want to teach, I could fall back on it.

EDit: poo poo, never mind. Unless I can pull my GPA by .3 points. Every place wants a pretty high GPA apparently.

drat

Plenty of places make exceptions, it doesn't hurt to try 2-3 places.

Edit: I had a 2.59 in undergrad. I didn't make Dartmouth but I did make 2 top public stem schools and I think they were both better fits anyways.

If someone else is paying for it, the increased perspective is huge and totally worth it. Just be open to pushing yourself and the limits. Focus on the journey instead of the goal, even if that's a bit trite.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 20, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
For grad applications GPA is only a small component. Your letter of intent, or possibly interview (if your program does those) have much higher weight. That's not to say you can get into a R1 STEM program with a 2.1, but there's a little wiggle room.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Essays and professor recommendations were money in my case.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

Man, I think I figured it out.

I’m gonna graduate (next May) and apply for a MFA program at another college. It’d be UCSD, and the more I think about it, me trying to stay and get a bachelors in visuals arts is dumb when I can get a masters and really study what I got to.

I also had a paradigm shift. I was dreading a paper I have to write but my professor gave me an enthymeme that helped navigate a cool topic (semiotics in photography). I realized I get to talk to her about the stuff I’m excited about, not that I’m assigned some thing. Well that, but it doesn’t feel like work.

Photography has really changed my life. Seriously. I just applied to be the photo editor of my school newspaper. I hope I get it. It pays some stuff but It’ll either be campus cash, or money going towards getting a YMCA membership for my family. We live really close to one and my kids see this amazing playground every day. Stupid loving thing is like 70 bucks a month. I’ll make that an annual thing pending each semester.

I really need to get another lens, but the two I see are around 500 bucks. So I’ve been applying for scholarships, sucks my GPa doesn’t qualify me for some but I still try if I feel I can explain it. Even then, hard to justify spending money on equipment. I just started a website but gently caress trying to dive into “DBA” stuff right now.

The new editor has a mom who did broadcast journalism as a career and a Dad who did print. He is a philosophy major with a passion for it. Also physics minor. It was like “huh?” Super excites to work for him if I get the part.

Could the lens be considered a school expense under Voc Rehab?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I should probably elaborate a little: in undergraduate, the school is doing you a favor by letting you get a degree there. In a graduate setting, even in a terminal masters program that you're paying for yourself, it's not nearly as one sided. There's far, far less graduate degrees out there and they're much more focused. Graduate degrees either make a career possible, or in theory greatly enhance your existing career. The department (or even a specific professor in some cases) is looking for specific universal qualifications. They want someone that's smart enough to understand the material to a capable level, someone that isn't going to drive away other talent, and someone that they can expect a reasonable rate of return on. So that when you're out and about in industry you help build a reputation for your school/program and attract more talent; either talent that gives them money in the form of endowments or otherwise.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

Vasudus posted:

I should probably elaborate a little: in undergraduate, the school is doing you a favor by letting you get a degree there. In a graduate setting, even in a terminal masters program that you're paying for yourself, it's not nearly as one sided. There's far, far less graduate degrees out there and they're much more focused. Graduate degrees either make a career possible, or in theory greatly enhance your existing career. The department (or even a specific professor in some cases) is looking for specific universal qualifications. They want someone that's smart enough to understand the material to a capable level, someone that isn't going to drive away other talent, and someone that they can expect a reasonable rate of return on. So that when you're out and about in industry you help build a reputation for your school/program and attract more talent; either talent that gives them money in the form of endowments or otherwise.

This is a great point and totally misunderstood. There are a lot more levers you can pull when applying to grad school versus undergrad(networking, especially). I kinda blew undergrad with a 2.8 gpa and have a standardized test score 20% lower than median at my school and am going to a top 15 program. Just took a bit more legwork on my part, showing how I would speciifically use the program to accomplish goals, how I would add to the community in specific ways, etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My essay was something to the effect of "I've been doing this for a decade an apparently I need a piece of paper to validate this now" but much nicer and they let me in.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
mine was "people have died for the opportunity to get the GI Bill and i would be disrespecting their memory if i didn't take full advantage of this."

lol they fell for it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Could the lens be considered a school expense under Voc Rehab?

No. It’s been stated to me like this: unless there is a job offer and a letter stating I need such and such equipment (like how electricians need tools), it’s no good. I thought I was gonna get top of the line stuff but actually had to spoof my receipt to make it look like I paid lower than I did. My limit was my limit and there I couldn’t split the difference.

Also thanks for the explanation. I’m on the fence about the decision right now as it’ll add 2 years to being in CAli when the family wants to go to Europe. Maybe if I can get the GI Bill to work there.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

My essay was something to the effect of "I've been doing this for a decade an apparently I need a piece of paper to validate this now" but much nicer and they let me in.

This is more than likely what mine will be too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just finished a 5k word article that’s due mid May. Feels good to be ahead.

Called for 18 pages, I’m at 28 because I am trying my damndest to do objectively good work. To be fair, I use a lot of pictures as examples.

Was sick all weekend with some stomach cramps thing, and the kids had it too. Not a fun experience.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Pretty sure I was behind before the quarter started. There is no ahead, just varying degrees of behind.

I need to figure out how to make a bunch of components in Eagle for an entirely voluntary lab I am sitting in on and it's the current focus of my stress.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My anxiety came and beat the gently caress out of me and now I feel like I'm way behind in my classes

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You eat a whale one bite at a time. Just start with making some meaningful progress and get yourself going. You'll be back in the driver's seat just in time for exams

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I hit the wall a couple weeks ago too man. Even just getting your reading done helps.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I hit the wall a couple weeks ago too man. Even just getting your reading done helps.

This was my biggest obstacle. I wrote 5k words this weekend for it.

I’m just happy that I did my first academic paper (first draft). I have some touching up to do I am sure, but basically everything is done except compiling the references page.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I have to create a to-do list on Thursdays after class ends for the week and then sit in the library until the big stuff is mostly done. Stuff still slips through however I can mostly track and cover.

I'm really unsure about this quarter system though. If I'm not running full speed with a project or experiment by the 3rd week it's a huge crisis.

Also, Adderall helps.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Finals week halfway done :suicide:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress Capsim. And gently caress terms. I want my semester classes back.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 26, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Finished my finals today. To celebrate, I bought a musket on Sunday.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone else not get paid today? Wondering if it's a timing thing or they screwed up my stuff again.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

mine was "people have died for the opportunity to get the GI Bill and i would be disrespecting their memory if i didn't take full advantage of this."

lol they fell for it.

This got me into a mid-tier MD program, y’all should try it some time if you haven’t yet. Took my pre-clinical comprehensives yesterday, hardest loving exams of my life by a wide mile, much tougher than the MCAT. But god/graders willing I will begin my clinical years in June. Making moves.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Booger Presley posted:

Anyone else not get paid today? Wondering if it's a timing thing or they screwed up my stuff again.

Cash in my account per usual.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Got my cash. Probably failed a final.

Pro tip: don’t pick a major that requires math if youre awful at math.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was just given the position of photo editor at my school for the newspaper

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Booger Presley posted:

My disability was late by a day. I know its the first, I just usually have it available today. It’s still pending.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If he missed 30 classes they probably won't recognize each other.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Missing 30 classes in an average semester course means he attended something like 1/3rd of the lectures right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Assuming standard undergrad course of 3 semester hours over 13 weeks (13 + midterms + finals for total of 15) on a M/W/F class, they would meet 39 times for regular classes. That's a ~24% attendance rate.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Aaaaand no money, I was dropped from the program. "They're looking into it."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

If he missed 30 classes they probably won't recognize each other.
He should have a different prof. sit in for him.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Booger Presley posted:

What the gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Booger Presley posted:

Don’t spend any money that may have been deposited into your account by the VA.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

boop the snoot posted:

Don’t spend any money that may have been deposited into your account by the VA.

This. Sounds like you're about to get turbo hosed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Lol! There's no money to spend as I haven't been paid in two months. I fully expect more loving before this gets fixed. IF it gets fixed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

How long ago did you start classes? Maybe you forgot to register with your VA certifying official. Happened to me and I didn’t get paid for the same.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Nine months, second semester. There's some real fuckery afoot because they paid for a summer school class during the time they were not paying me. It was info from an unrelated school official who let me know I was no longer in C31 which caused my visit to the VA confining the drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Booger Presley posted:

Ohshit.... Yeah man, turbofucking incoming.