Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tae posted:

So I'm still kinda confused on how to play defense. Is it always better to maximize move so you get 2 pips of evasion?

How do you get rid of evasion efficiently other than Sensor lock and melee?

Is there a damage indicator of how much you'll do in the preview menu?

Jumping adds even more Evasion than moving; jump whenever possible. Walking is for chumps.

Focus fire will get rid of evasion in short order. Save your highest damage output 'Mechs for last; use your guys who don't carry the big guns to whittle down your target's Evasion, then unload with the big guns when your target is more hittable.

Also, swarming the target with missiles is a good anti-evasion tactic, as the to-hit percentage is applied to every cluster of missiles (SRMs cluster in 2s, LRMs in 5s - at least in tabletop), so if you have only a 50% chance to hit and you unload an LRM20 you can be pretty well assured of hitting with at least ten missiles.

If you're the one playing defense, use cover whenever possible. Cover is seriously good, because on top of making it trickier to hit you it also reduces any damage that isn't coming into your back arc by 25%. Woods are your friends, use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Voyager I posted:

There's this weird meta-opinion appearing in the thread that AC's in general and AC/10s in specific are bad and that's not even remotely the case. It's really hard to find mechs with the right tonnage and hardpoint layouts to run spreadsheet-optimal builds, and even that tends to really underrate the value that comes from stability damage, doing damage in concentrated chunks, and breaching shot synergy.

LRMs are probably better overall but only because they are the the best weapons in the game.

ACs are good, though they are on the heavy side. A jaeger, the heavy mech of choice for this sort of thing, can only mount two ac/10s and they're otherwise very similar to PPCs. I get the dislike. That jaeger still has been my main mech for like thirty sorties though.

Tae posted:

So I'm still kinda confused on how to play defense. Is it always better to maximize move so you get 2 pips of evasion?

Is there a damage indicator of how much you'll do in the preview menu?

There are two ways to be defensive; either you can go down the piloting tree and be very dodgy, moving at a good pace, or you can take the first skill in the guts tree and sit still and take half damage from everything. Both work fine, though you'll eat poo poo if you can't move far/sit still. Otherwise yes, moving to try and work out evasion.

Every time an attack is performed a pip is lowered, flat out. You can use multi-shot out of the gunner try to shoot a bunch of things at once to lower evasion across the board if you feel that'd be prudent, but otherwise you just hammer them, yeah. A melee with support weapons takes off two pips (one for the melee attack and one for the support weapons) but this is probably a bug. Once you get a decent amount of gunnery going all those pips start to become a lot more managable, especially when you're shaving off four a turn by focus firing on the target anyway.

No, but your weapons all do a flat amount of damage. Where they'll deal it is the toss up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also, swarming the target with missiles is a good anti-evasion tactic, as the to-hit percentage is applied to every cluster of missiles (SRMs cluster in 2s, LRMs in 5s - at least in tabletop), so if you have only a 50% chance to hit and you unload an LRM20 you can be pretty well assured of hitting with at least ten missiles.

I believe I read somewhere that each individual missile is an independent roll in HBS BT, no concept of clusters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone tell me something fun to do with this Wolverine I salvaged.

e: Should I go for Ace Pilot or Master Tactician for melee warriors? I spec'd a guy to be Piloting and Tactics so it's one or the other. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2018

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

DiHK posted:

What is the .json to change the number of parts needed to reconstruct mech?

found it.

simGameContsants/DefaultMechParts

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

The nine point tactics skill might be too good. 84% to hit CT and 18% to headcap on called shots kinda breaks the survivability curve.
That could easily be an actual talent instead of just coming along with Tactics, and it'd still be really good.

Tae posted:

Missile barrages are nice for removing evasion while still doing some damage. If you can to enough stability damage to get a mech to unsteady, they lose all evasion. Also, if you have multishot, consider lobbing off at least one attack at speedy mechs if you don't NEED to commit that weapon to something else because any attack will strip an evasion pip, letting follow-up shots be more effective. A multi-shot mech can strip 1 evasion pip from up to three mechs, but only one from a single target.

Defense is either: jump if you can, move if you can't, unless you have bulwark and at least some kind of armor in which case, sit your rear end down and shoot things.

Voyager I posted:

There's this weird meta-opinion appearing in the thread that AC's in general and AC/10s in specific are bad and that's not even remotely the case. It's really hard to find mechs with the right tonnage and hardpoint layouts to run spreadsheet-optimal builds, and even that tends to really underrate the value that comes from stability damage, doing damage in concentrated chunks, and breaching shot synergy.

LRMs are probably better overall but only because they are the the best weapons in the game.
I really like ACs, actually. Them and missiles make up most of my armament. LRMs and SRMs are both just kind of better.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Should I go for Ace Pilot or Master Tactician for melee warriors? I spec'd a guy to be Piloting and Tactics so it's one or the other. :v:

Melee attacks are Movement orders, so you can't melee and then use Ace Pilot to move away. Accordingly, if it's specifically melee you're speccing for, go with Master Tactician.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I think my next project in this game will be to scout the Reach for as many KS backer pilots as possible and send out the ones with super-creepy bios as a damage-soak in a mech loaded with ammo they can't use

that one dude who is like "if only he could stop loving women BUT HE CAN'T" gets a zero-head armor/ammo in head special

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Are you trying to say stylish missile hats are a bad idea?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Melee attacks are Movement orders, so you can't melee and then use Ace Pilot to move away. Accordingly, if it's specifically melee you're speccing for, go with Master Tactician.

Sure is, thanks!

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Sensor lock is bad.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
My hot take on ACs is that even if they aren't ~spreadsheet optimal~ they're still good enough you can use them without regrets, and they do have their own advantages that you can exploit. The only exception it feels like is the AC/2. It's like what, 5x heavier (before ammo) than a medium laser for the same damage? I guess maybe if you desperately need that last bit of stability damage but don't have the tonnage for a bigger AC or space for a missile or something.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

I hope mechs eventually get the ability to equip giant axes and maces and poo poo.

Battletax:

Back in whatever tabletop version of Battletech was out in the early 90s, we made a gimmick mech with an axe in one hand, and every other weapon, including the entire other arm, was machine guns, because (if I recall) they didn't take up a lot of space and didn't generate heat. I don't think we ever tried it out, but I don't think we had to try it to know it would only be good in limited situations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay Yang, I get that you can take any three thirds of a mech and make a whole mech out of it. I dont see how you did that when all we brought back were asses though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Sensor lock is bad.
Having one on a punchmech on your way to Master Tactician isn't a bad use of their turn if you're really gearing them up for close-range combat, though. Its not worth getting entirely on its own, but having one isn't a bad idea if you want Master Tactician anyway. It'd be nice if lighter mechs could get closer before triggering sensor ranges, though. As-is LRM barrages really gently caress light/medium mechs up despite evasion and they can just get sensor-locked and hosed from outside visual range, which makes dancing around with a light just an exercise in frustration.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Sensor lock is bad.

Counterpoint. At least sensor lock skill actually works on assault mechs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Saddest Robot posted:

I hope mechs eventually get the ability to equip giant axes and maces and poo poo.

Battletax:

Hatchetman would be legit kind of nasty in this game? AC/10, 2 MLs, 4 JJs, 4/6 movement and a shitload of melee damage

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Speaking of the Autocannons, I don't think they are "bad" I really love AC-20's, I ran with a hunchback and a Yen Lo Wang Centurion for a long time before I got an Atlas.

I do want to know what is the Gatling Gun version of the AC-20, I thought I found it in a "Shredder" AC which I mounted on my Atlas, but it just fires three big shots instead of the gently caress you stream.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's probably an awful idea but I'm speccing this Wolverine for an AC20 because lmao I can

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay Yang, I get that you can take any three thirds of a mech and make a whole mech out of it. I dont see how you did that when all we brought back were asses though.

Look at this rookie who never heard of a Buttlemaster

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Assault mechs should be able to grab locusts and use them as clubs, and kick them like soccer balls. I also need a locust hat for my highlanders.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

i'm drowning in dragons what do i do with these piles of garbage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sandoz posted:

sell them, resume propitiating the dread god arengee for her favour

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

sandoz posted:

remember how in MW4: Mercs you got so many Arguses that they were basically a form of currency?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

People dont like the laser hunchback? That thing has been a staple of my lance so far, it chews through mechs and can take a fair amount of hits too

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

sandoz posted:

At best, with max jump jets, max front armor and a bulwark pilot you can use them as target practice for the AI. I'm not joking, until I had better heavies the dragon made a good AI bait, taking hits for the others.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I forgot to take a screen-cap, but I saw an recruit mechwarrior with 2/2/2/2 skills named "Garbage"

I think you need to find him to be your Dragon lance pilot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Insert name here posted:

My hot take on ACs is that even if they aren't ~spreadsheet optimal~ they're still good enough you can use them without regrets, and they do have their own advantages that you can exploit. The only exception it feels like is the AC/2. It's like what, 5x heavier (before ammo) than a medium laser for the same damage? I guess maybe if you desperately need that last bit of stability damage but don't have the tonnage for a bigger AC or space for a missile or something.

The draw of the AC/2 is basically range; it's got Gauss Rifle reach (though obviously it's objectively worse than the sweet baby Gauss in every other way). Being able to reach out and poke at something from halfway across the map isn't a bad thing.

That doesn't make it good, but it does have its place.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

sandoz posted:

I have turned mine into a pure melee machine. Max jump jets, max armor, a few light lasers. Rush in and start boxing. :black101:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the initiative system hurt dragons bad, I remember in a couple mechtek games I played they were solid, well at least my preferred PPC version.

In this in MW:O (due to hitboxes) they are kinda garbo.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The draw of the AC/2 is basically range; it's got Gauss Rifle reach (though obviously it's objectively worse than the sweet baby Gauss in every other way). Being able to reach out and poke at something from halfway across the map isn't a bad thing.

The problem is the maps and sight range in this game are so small that the AC2's range is mostly wasted.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Jack2142 posted:

I forgot to take a screen-cap, but I saw an recruit mechwarrior with 2/2/2/2 skills named "Garbage"

I think you need to find him to be your Dragon lance pilot.

lol, that was the randomly generated callsign I used for my first pc

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The problem with the AC2 is that LRMs do the exact same thing, for less tonnage, more damage and with indirect fire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The problem is you can't mount enough of them to really take advantage of that. If it was like 2-3 tons you could have a sniper mech loaded with it, but it's 6 per gun to do as much as a medium laser.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

HORMELCHILI posted:

People dont like the laser hunchback? That thing has been a staple of my lance so far, it chews through mechs and can take a fair amount of hits too
The drat thing doesn't need modification from stock, it's like the ideal medium.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just did Smithion and it was a nail biter. :stare:

Here's how it ended:

Behemoth in a Catapult suffered first -- it runs hot so I had her stand in the lake at the front of the base which made her a magnet for an incredible amount of abuse. Between blowing holes in every light mech on the field she got knocked over, lost both arms and both torsos, and still managed to take down a Jenner with a couple small lasers before punching out at something like 20 center structure left.

Dekker in the hunchback did good work except when he missed a single crucial ac/20 shot at a transport, but he made up for it by blowing off a Gryphon's PPC and oneshotting a spider before the Gryphon turned around and kicked him in the head. Stone dead. I'm surprised he made that far in this campaign -- he's been in and out of the medbay since his first mission. :911:

Tiger Claw in a Trebuchet cleared the board of turrets while getting swarmed by lights, then killed both a spider and a locust in hand to hand combat before he got picked apart.

Had to blow three of the ammo crates during the fight but it was all worth it. The shadow hawk's jump jets saved the day -- Gatsby mangled a Dragon by repeated called shots to the rear center torso, then boogied to the hill for a little sniping to end the day. Zero ammo by the end and no AC/5 so he picked apart a panther that could do absolutely nothing but run around and hope for a melee hit. I almost lost it right at the end because there was a turret offscreen I didn't know about but it only grazed off his armor. Holy hell.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

laser hunchback owns hard SO LONG AS you keep your left side facing the enemy

the AI is bad about this and it becomes very easy to blow right through the hunch and then they're reduced to 1 ML/1 SL

Jack2142 posted:

I think the initiative system hurt dragons bad, I remember in a couple mechtek games I played they were solid, well at least my preferred PPC version.

In this in MW:O (due to hitboxes) they are kinda garbo.

maybe they could be saved with equipment? say, a 1-2 ton Thing that you can only place on 40/60/80 tonners that moves them one slot up in the initiative order?

Would hugely benefit Dragons, Quickdraws, Cicadas, Victors, Zeuses (the Awesome is fine because of it PPC hurler niche)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

NmareBfly posted:

Just did Smithion and it was a nail biter.

yeah I also just did it and all I can say for it is "nobody died."

I did complete all the objectives so now I am space rich. Bonus?

HORMELCHILI posted:

I got a ton of mileage out of mine, too. Absolute monster at called shots and a high gunnery pilot meant I was pulling 90%+ shot odds at mlaser max range so it was reliable. Great combo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

Its too bad we don't have Optimus Prime the Grand Crusader!

You're thinking of the Grand Titan.

The Grand Crusader has metal joints, beat him up and earn 15 silver points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I went into Smithson with a solid lance of heavies and mediums, thinking it couldn't be that hard.

I came out of it with half of an Enforcer and Kintaro but at least no-one died.