Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The big question though, can I light candles in the bed of my truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While it's true that in old-timey times everyone burnt candles constantly, they also burnt their loving houses down constantly too. Setting one's clothes on fire was a leading cause of death for women, second only to childbirth, among europeans for centuries, too. Fortunes were made on innovations such as the hurricane lamp because they were literal lifesavers.

Homeowner's insurance still pays out more for fires than anything else, and while I'm sure electrical fires are the leading type now, tons of people still burn down buildings due to unattended or poorly cared for open flames.

Candles are fine but not totally safe and are worth being careful with.

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Top-causes-of-fire/Candles

quote:

From 2011-2015, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 8,700 home structure fires that were started by candles per year. These fires caused an annual average of 82 deaths, 800 injuries and $295 million in direct property damage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

No.

Candlepower and horsepower don’t mix.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Platystemon posted:

No.

Candlepower and horsepower don’t mix.

Poor old Freckles.

Thought of Yankee Candle and died.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

While it's true that in old-timey times everyone burnt candles constantly, they also burnt their loving houses down constantly too. Setting one's clothes on fire was a leading cause of death for women, second only to childbirth, among europeans for centuries, too. Fortunes were made on innovations such as the hurricane lamp because they were literal lifesavers.

Homeowner's insurance still pays out more for fires than anything else, and while I'm sure electrical fires are the leading type now, tons of people still burn down buildings due to unattended or poorly cared for open flames.

Candles are fine but not totally safe and are worth being careful with.

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Top-causes-of-fire/Candles
Although to put those numbers in context, there are 1,345,500 fire responses in the US, which cause 3,280 civilian deaths and 15,700 civilian injuries. So candle fires represent less than 3% of fire deaths.

The leading cause of structure fires and injuries are stoves and other cooking equipment, which account for almost half, but the leading cause of deadly fires is actually smoking (because it often happens when people fall asleep smoking and set fire to their bed/couch/etc.) Cooking and heating are tied for second place. Of course, you can't really avoid cooking or heating so those are risks we are kind of stuck with, while you can certainly avoid candles or smoking entirely.

Statistically, you should be more concerned about arson and other intentional fires than candles.

I grew up with lovely power service and regular power cuts, sometimes I did my homework by lamp or candle light. So I don't really get turning off all your functional lights and setting up candles, it just feels like re-enacting lovely parts of my childhood. I guess it's different if they're just a novelty and not something you ever had to rely on.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm going to set up a webcam looking at a lit candle 24/7, which will apparently drive a bunch of people here insane, and that is amazing to me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My neighbor's barn/garage burned down a few months ago (unattended wood stove) it was very scary and bad. The wind was blowing just right that the house was fine but his office still got smoked and he lost all his computer records :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Statistically, you should be more concerned about arson and other intentional fires than candles.

I agree with everything else you said, but this is ignoring how behavior modifies risk. It's like saying being struck by lightning is super rare, so it's fine to go walking on high hills during thunderstorms while using metal umbrellas.

Candle-caused fires are rare because most people don't use candles.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I wish I could accidentally burn down this thread.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Candles and other open flames are perfectly safe so long as you limit the weight of the total number of candles being burned at one time to less than 400lbs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

I'm going to set up a webcam looking at a lit candle 24/7, which will apparently drive a bunch of people here insane, and that is amazing to me.

How about a light bulb instead?

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

glynnenstein posted:

But it's an open flame... indoors!!!! :psyduck: :stonk:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
All my furniture is cast thermite powder. I can't believe you'd advocate an open flame in a house.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

This, but on purpose.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Some of you don't seem to get the distinction between "candle carefully set up intentionally in a way that ensures it won't light anything on fire" and "candle Jenny lights on her bedside when she goes to sleep because she wants a nightlight".

Jaded Burnout posted:

:emptyquote:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Before you bring an open flame into your house, please ensure that none of your candles are load-bearing or you may compromise the structural integrity.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Leperflesh posted:

Setting one's clothes on fire was a leading cause of death for women, second only to childbirth, among europeans for centuries
This was not due to candles. It was due to women wearing large full skirts and houses having open hearths for cooking and heating (the modern style of fireplace where all the fire is inside it is very modern; in medieval times they didn't even have a fireplace, just a hearth, and renaissance to early modern fireplaces were very shallow so most of the fire was still out in the room where a skirt could sweep it and catch fire)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

This was not due to candles. It was due to women wearing large full skirts and houses having open hearths for cooking and heating (the modern style of fireplace where all the fire is inside it is very modern; in medieval times they didn't even have a fireplace, just a hearth, and renaissance to early modern fireplaces were very shallow so most of the fire was still out in the room where a skirt could sweep it and catch fire)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axFFUdQdyJg

Also helps keep infant morality high, all those cooking fires at perfect height for a baby to fall into them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

glynnenstein posted:

Start this webcam so I can stream it to my six tablets set up in the room and finally have the ambiance of a candle with none of the fire!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Start this webcam so I can stream it to my six tablets set up in the room and finally have the ambiance of a candle with none of the fire!

What if I stream it to six Kindle Fires?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
also candles during History Times were wicked expensive and not as widely used for lighting as you'd think because most people couldn't afford to spend a ton of money on wax candles just to fuckin burn them, so that's TWO reasons you can't blame candles for high death rates from burning in the past, it's kind of like claiming that the reason so many americans die of automobile accidents is that lambo doors are unsafe

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Are we still talking about loving candles?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Makes you miss the pickup truck, huh?

We used to have a candle drawer for when the power went out. Then LED candles, LED headlamps, LED lanterns, and all manner of LED lighting that works for days on end without needing new batteries were invented... The LED candles the wife has spread around even turn on/off via remote.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Can someone good with threads please help me:

Concrete: 400 posts
Houses: 100 posts
Candles: 5000 posts
BWM: 50 posts

Help my thread is derailed.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Can someone good with threads please help me:

Concrete: 400 posts
Houses: 100 posts
Candles: 5000 posts
BWM: 50 posts

Help my thread is derailed.

Post less about Candles

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Post less about Candles

No!

Once I get home I’ll put together an effortpost of crappy construction/BWM content of some local apartment construction.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Gas lighting wasn't much better. Pressure from the mains would vary at times, so often sudden flare-ups and fires would occur as owners would crank the lamp to full at lower pressures.

Not to mention gas in general being dirty and not nice to breathe in.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

He also keeps putting my loving ice forged zantoku in the loving dishwasher. I may have to kill him with it.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Believe me, it's coming very close to being a deal breaker.

That knife is worth more than my car.

sneakyfrog posted:

i dont even have any knives remotely that nice but all my chefs knives are like reasonably nice, i would be livid to open up the dishwasher and find one. (sigh)

You guys realize even if you completely destroy the edge on your knife it takes like an hour tops to sharpen it yeah? Unless you got a wooden handled knife, which I really hope you wouldn't. Like your knife isn't going to warp in the wash, it's gonna get knocked around and the abrasive detergent might wear down the blade, but it's very simple to put the edge back on it.

I've had the same Chef Knife since my first day at Le Cordon Bleu, and I've ran it through the dishwasher, through all sorts of chemical baths and treatments, and even had a lovely roommate use it as a hot plate for a group dab, and I have never done untowards damage to my blade. People worry that the alkali in your dishwasher detergent will eventually eat away at the metal and make your knife, dull, brittle, and prone to breaking, but it's simply not the case for a properly forged blade. Hell most consumer knives are expected to be run through the dishwasher, one of the many reasons they have synthetic faux-wood handles.

I wouldn't normally bother since im one of SA's many resident dumbs, but people are much too careful with their knives, and spend far too much on them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Heating the blade above around 400 to 500 F (depending on the alloy) will alter or destroy the temper, but dishwashers don't get that hot so yeah, the only real damage you can do is to the handle material or any glue that is holding it together.

I don't like having to re-sharpen all my knives every time they go through the dishwasher, though, and it's ridiculously quick to hand-wash a chef's knife, so that's why I don't dishwasher them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jaded Burnout posted:

Somebody in BFC (I think it was Knyteguy) said he used to have a lovely truck with no defrost so he would light candles on his dashboard to help melt ice off the windshield when it was real cold.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This wouldnt be a problem if you tied the candle down with a 400 pound block.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Try finding your wife heated one of the knives on the gas hob to poke/burn a hole in something. It's completely lost its knife-like abilities. We had a talk. Now she knows to use the crappy soldering iron or a cheap metal skewer.

There are no words. :psyduck:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I find the fact that a table - a piece of furniture on which candles and other fire-based illumination devices have been used daily for literally thousands of years - is considered by some kid in 2018 to be completely unsuitable for that very task rather amusing.

It is not the table that is the problem. It is the attention span of your standard issue 2018 human being. Fire is a good tool but will murder your rear end if you don't pay attention and respect it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 3, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What’s BWM?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

StormDrain posted:

What’s BWM?

Horses

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

More confused than before

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

StormDrain posted:

More confused than before

Sorry. :v:

BWM is the Bad With Money thread. Horses feature prominently. A lot.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Synthbuttrange posted:

This wouldnt be a problem if you tied the candle down with a 400 pound block.

i'm not changing the drat thread title again

relatedly, my stepfather was german from the old country and whatnot and he was all rarin' to go to have a christmas tree with several dozen real candles on it. i mean, i've seen that, and it looks amazing, but like wow maybe not at home.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
We here in the old country still use live candles on the x-mas tree to this day. Very common. I thought the US was supposed to be an anti-nanny state?! Maybe it is and its the people that have become nannies. Seriously, led string lights on your x-mas tree? For shame.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

StormDrain posted:

What’s BWM?

Block for Weighing down Motorcycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Turtlicious posted:

You guys realize even if you completely destroy the edge on your knife it takes like an hour tops to sharpen it yeah? Unless you got a wooden handled knife, which I really hope you wouldn't. Like your knife isn't going to warp in the wash, it's gonna get knocked around and the abrasive detergent might wear down the blade, but it's very simple to put the edge back on it.

Wait, it's easy enough that I can probably do it? I got a couple of knives that need sharpening, but that poo poo cost money, and I don't trust those things you can buy in the store to run your knife through.