Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Re:acidchat. I don't do these myself but we put in orders for these every single day in mining.

4-acid digest posted:

Multi-acid digestion uses a combination of HCl (hydrochloric acid), HNO3 (nitric acid), HF (hydrofluoric acid) and HClO4 (perchloric acid). Because hydrofluoric acid dissolves silicate minerals, these digestions are often referred to as 'near-total digestions'.

Multi-acid (4 acid) digestion is a very effective dissolution procedure for multi-element analysis at trace levels of detection. However, there can be a loss of volatile elements (e.g. B, As, Pb, Ge, Sb) during this type of digestion and some refractory minerals (especially oxide minerals) are only partially digested.

I guess the difference is that in mining the amount of money is so ridiculous, you can just use an 8-figure machine to do all this stuff for you as opposed to throwing grad students at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Memento posted:

Re:acidchat. I don't do these myself but we put in orders for these every single day in mining.

I guess the difference is that in mining the amount of money is so ridiculous, you can just use an 8-figure machine to do all this stuff for you as opposed to throwing grad students at it.

That's exactly how I assayed ore samples for a mine lab back in my early days.

You need a special hood/ventilation system for the perchloric acid else it builds up in the ductwork and goes boom.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Its a cop you doof, he's probably rushing to do cop stuff on site at an emergency

That's not a cop, just a regular dash cam.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FCKGW posted:

Undercover cop :c00l:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That trucker missed his dose of meth.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

KoRMaK posted:

Its a cop you doof, he's probably rushing to do cop stuff on site at an emergency

I missed the text up top, still not a smart move though.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

FCKGW posted:

In this particular case yes that is a civilian dash cam but there's nothing special about a "cop" dash cam.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

hackbunny posted:

:jerkbag: sorry I only had a C- in hypergolic non-cryogenic liquid propellants for high altitude all weather non naval tactical military applications

it's drier than *checks notes* anhydrous white fuming nitric acid

If you like your hand being held then perhaps stick to Popular Science, or New Scientist if you're feeling particularly adventurous.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

If you like your hand being held then perhaps stick to Popular Science, or New Scientist if you're feeling particularly adventurous.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat

Nerses IV posted:

I cracked open a three gallon jug of nitric acid putting my lawnmower back in to the garage on sunday

I use it to decontaminate metal, turns out it doesn't like concrete either, who would have guessed?

Dude I got questions. That sounds like an absolute shitload of nitric acid to be cracking up. How strong was it? Do you really need that much, at floor height, in something that'll crack from a lawnmower? And hell while we're at it, what is it that you do with it that you can't do with like phosphoric acid? You're not making fertilizer or rocket fuel are you?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Karate Bastard posted:

Dude I got questions. That sounds like an absolute shitload of nitric acid to be cracking up. How strong was it? Do you really need that much, at floor height, in something that'll crack from a lawnmower? And hell while we're at it, what is it that you do with it that you can't do with like phosphoric acid? You're not making fertilizer or rocket fuel are you?

It's only like 10%, you use it to remove inorganics from your groundwater/soil/etc sampling equipment and prevent cross contamination

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat
Ah, cool. I got mental pictures of billowing clouds of nitric gas.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

GotLag posted:

I like my hand being held so I got a girlfriend, you gigantic dork

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat
So you still have the use of one of your hands, that's so good for you!

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 2, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://local.theonion.com/mr-pretty-boy-farmer-still-has-all-his-fingers-1819570693

(some choice osha.txt stuff in there)

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 2, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ting-chernobyl/

quote:

Once the barge is wired into the electrical grid in the Arctic town of Pevek in 2019, it will be the world's northernmost nuclear reactor, capable of powering a town of 100,000 people (almost the population of Green Bay, Wis.) with what its manufacturer, Rosatom, calls “a great margin of safety” that is “invincible for tsunamis and natural disaster.”

But environmental groups have other names for the barge: “Nuclear Titanic” is one. Another is “Floating Chernobyl.”

quote:

The world will see who is right sometime next year.:smug:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Store your hazmat chemicals in cabinets please.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

In this particular case yes that is a civilian dash cam but there's nothing special about a "cop" dash cam.
Except for always malfunctioning before black people get beat, surely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I found a packet of chocolate hobnobs in a flamvault once.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The people complaining here don't seem aware that there's literally dozens of nuclear reactors both on and under the ocean in various navies already.

Not that I even remotely trust Russian engineering, but it's still a long solved problem.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat
Speaking of nox, back in chemistry class we were synthesizing a nox that had to be chilled or it would boil off in room temperature creating happy little nox clouds, inside the fume hoods. This was also a bit of a contest starting from equal amounts of reagent, and the team with the sharpest lab skills would win by merit of having the highest yield in the end, in their fume hoods. Then yay someone won, and then everyone had to clean up their glassware, in their fume hoods. These were the instructions:

"Your glassware is now covered in nox and therefore has to be cleaned meticulously.

This can be done by rinsing it thoroughly in cold water.

WARNING: This must be done inside a fume hood.
"

My friend who is the smartest idiot I know followed these instructions literally line by line and was perplexed when everyone started coughing. He hadn't gotten to the final line yet.

E: m-w won't agree with me on this one, but I think this is where the word "noxious" comes from.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 2, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Asimo posted:

The people complaining here don't seem aware that there's literally dozens of nuclear reactors both on and under the ocean in various navies already.

Not that I even remotely trust Russian engineering, but it's still a long solved problem.

They also call anything nuclear "the next Chernobyl", so they've kind of worn out that shock value.

On the new horizons spacecraft, Chernobyl in space!

quote:

CAPE CANAVERAL - About three dozen people assembled at the spaceport Saturday to protest this month's planned launch of a plutonium-powered space probe bound for Pluto.

The demonstrators made speeches, sang songs and carried signs with messages such as "NASA puts us all at risk!" and "Even mousetraps malfunction. Is a mini-Chernobyl in our community's future?" in opposition of the nuclear generator being used to power the New Horizons spacecraft.

On a train hauling nuclear waste, Chernobyl on wheels!

quote:

About 30,000 anti-nuclear protesters are expected to demonstrate tomorrow against a shipment of highly radioactive nuclear waste, nicknamed "Chernobyl on wheels", that is being moved across France and Germany by train.

Chernobyl is the never-nuclear crowd's Hillary.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 2, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nobody tell those folks about smoke detectors

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

Is there a mini Chernobyl hanging from your roof? The answer may shock you, more at 11.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What everyone's really afraid of is that the ship might be rigged to fire its reactor as a torpedo in case of an emergency.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

What everyone's really afraid of is that the ship might be rigged to fire its reactor as a torpedo in case of an emergency.

Why? So it can safely sit under miles of coolant?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Russia also still has 7 or 8 nuclear icebreakers working and plans to build more.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 2, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Russia also still has 7 or 8 nuclear icebreakers working and plans to build more.

They also still use this piece of poo poo.

I wonder which one green peace loves more.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Did Russia ever find their lost nuclear lighthouses? Seems like something someone should be looking for.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Powershift posted:

Is there a mini Chernobyl hanging from your roof? The answer may shock you, more at 7am when youre trying to cook breakfast and forget to turn on the extraction fan

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ak Gara posted:

Did Russia ever find their lost nuclear lighthouses? Seems like something someone should be looking for.

The people who find them usually don't end well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thank you, that was excellent.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SelenicMartian posted:

Haven't you seen Star Trek? In an emergency you dump the core. Once everything calms down you pick it back up, return it to service like nothing happened.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Actually I think the chain of events was :
*adjusts dash cam so it captures the full spectacle*
*speeds up*

We watch a lot of Russian dash cam footage in the PYF Schadenfreude thread and I've noticed that a lot of the time the people in those videos also don't slow down when a horrific accident happens right in front of them, but most cars in Russia seem to be really old and poorly maintained so I guess their brakes aren't worth poo poo anyway. Also they're almost always speeding like crazy so I guess their attitude is "If I try to swerve or brake at this speed I'll just roll the car or get rear ended by the car that's inevitably tailgating me and also speeding so I'll keep going and try to zoom past the accident to safety"

Honestly, some times your best option is to either coast at your current speed or speed up. I avoided one of the dumbest accidents I've ever seen by not doing anything and driving straight, some jerk off going about 90 flew past me on the left, tried to do a double lane change and clipped car which caused both of them to go spinning in different directions, hitting other cars, had i moved left or right I would have been involved, had I slammed on the brakes I would have been rear ended, so I coasted right through the middle of the carnage.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Powershift posted:

Chernobyl is the never-nuclear crowd's Hillary.

But her EM radiation!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

sneakyfrog posted:

Or their granite exterior at work and countertops at home. Or bananas. :ohdear:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MF_James posted:

Honestly, some times your best option is to either coast at your current speed or speed up. I avoided one of the dumbest accidents I've ever seen by not doing anything and driving straight, some jerk off going about 90 flew past me on the left, tried to do a double lane change and clipped car which caused both of them to go spinning in different directions, hitting other cars, had i moved left or right I would have been involved, had I slammed on the brakes I would have been rear ended, so I coasted right through the middle of the carnage.
Picturing a five minute slow-motion sequence backed by "What a wonderful world" of explosions, cars flipping over your head, and two pinwheeling trucks taking out the everything in front of and behind you as you Mr. Magoo your way to safety like some kind of reverse Final Destination.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat

Zil posted:

Or their granite exterior at work and countertops at home. Or bananas. :ohdear:

Or cigarettes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Splicer posted:

Picturing a five minute slow-motion sequence backed by "What a wonderful world" of explosions, cars flipping over your head, and two pinwheeling trucks taking out the everything in front of and behind you as you Mr. Magoo your way to safety like some kind of reverse Final Destination.

That's pretty much how it was, the whole time I was waiting for something awful to happen, or me needing to pull sharply to one side, but it just didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Asimo posted:

Yes, but all of the current reactors are able to move under their own power, and presumably avoid major storms. Subs can dive below storms, while surface ships can drive away. This thing can only be towed, and is far more subject to damage because of it.

Not that being able to move has kept Russia from putting several nuclear powered subs on the bottom anyways. We've(the US) done it twice, but not in the last 50 years.