Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
So basically the way you load homebrew currently on the Switch is if you're on 1.0.0 or 3.0.0 you can exploit and load a web browser that Nintendo disabled to prevent any exploits from happening

Everyone who uses the browser has the updates server blocked so it doesn't make you update when you go online and launch it, but in the last few days they somehow got most people who use the browser with a change to the browser that requires you to update to the latest firmware before you can use it, through a server that no one knew existed so it wasn't blocked

People are flipping out because they did this with a behind the scenes update that no one agreed to or noticed until they tried to launch the browser so they kinda hacked everyone back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Yes that's what I used.

It turns out the problem was contact issues, I was getting occasional crashes on the other systems so I used the 'paper trick'. I guess the n3DS cartridge slot has just slightly different enough shape that it wouldn't connect at all but now everything's working perfectly.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Nonviolent J posted:

So basically the way you load homebrew currently on the Switch is if you're on 1.0.0 or 3.0.0 you can exploit and load a web browser that Nintendo disabled to prevent any exploits from happening

Everyone who uses the browser has the updates server blocked so it doesn't make you update when you go online and launch it, but in the last few days they somehow got most people who use the browser with a change to the browser that requires you to update to the latest firmware before you can use it, through a server that no one knew existed so it wasn't blocked

People are flipping out because they did this with a behind the scenes update that no one agreed to or noticed until they tried to launch the browser so they kinda hacked everyone back

That's kinda cool. I mean it's bad, but still pretty cool. I would not have thought Nintendo competent enough for something like that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nonviolent J posted:

Is there a feature that was disabled in the browser or something? Because I was on 4.0 and I was able to get to Gmail through Facebook on my switch browser.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

Yes that's what I used.

It turns out the problem was contact issues, I was getting occasional crashes on the other systems so I used the 'paper trick'. I guess the n3DS cartridge slot has just slightly different enough shape that it wouldn't connect at all but now everything's working perfectly.

Did you try contact cleaner? When I busted out my Acekard a while ago it didn't want to work even in my DSLite until I scrubbed it with contact cleaner.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Did you try contact cleaner? When I busted out my Acekard a while ago it didn't want to work even in my DSLite until I scrubbed it with contact cleaner.

The contact problem is well-known, and one that's been there since I got it new. https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Solving_Acekard_2i_Contact_Issues#The_TK_Paper_Trick
I did the 'TK paper trick' using an index card. It recommends the thinnest paper possible and in the same breath suggests transparency plastic so idk... Copy paper didn't seem like it'd be effective.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Funso Banjo posted:

That's kinda cool. I mean it's bad, but still pretty cool. I would not have thought Nintendo competent enough for something like that.

It's 99% likely to be the same as the version check for the 3DS browser. It communicates with a server to check its version independent of firmware version and a 404 from that server is just an automatic pass. They likely never actually put the server up until now since there wasn't any real need to and either more people are using it now, they are worried about what people can do with it now, or are actually planning to add a normal browser now.

No actual update on the consoles was likely done.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
It does something, they've done digging and a certain byte is changed in the affected Switches and going offline and self hosting the exploit doesn't change anything

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Honestly nothing will ever beat a modded n3ds with the snes9x emulator

How well does that run games with special chipsets like Yoshi’s Island or Mario RPG? I usually do VC injects but would like to also play games that that doesn’t work for.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

How well does that run games with special chipsets like Yoshi’s Island or Mario RPG? I usually do VC injects but would like to also play games that that doesn’t work for.

I was wasting my time with VC injects. I noticed a few games had scratchy audio so I gave up and went with snes9x for 3DS

It runs everything flawlessly with no frames skipping. Even Super Mario RPG. Just make sure under options you change "SRAM Auto Save Delay" to disabled.

There's quite a few snes emulators on the n3ds. Just make sure you're using the one that looks like this

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So hearing all the news about the switch being hackable lately is making me antsy to play some of my favorite gba games again. I figure while I wait I might as well get around to modding my 3ds or Wii U, but hearing about people getting banned on 3ds for hacking their systems is giving me a bit of pause.

Does getting banned on a system count for your entire account? As in, if I mod my 3ds and get caught by one of these ban waves am I just banned from the eshop or from playing anything online on my 3ds? If I do get myself banned on 3ds, does that only count for 3ds stuff? Can I still get on the eshop on my Wii U/Switch or play online on either of those consoles?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Only your console is banned, not your account

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also you don't get banned from the eshop, just everything else (i.e. multiplayer).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Also you don't get banned from the eshop, just everything else (i.e. multiplayer).

So, nothing then :haw:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah, it's no great loss at this point unless you're really into Pokémon.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Switch homebrew launcher for all firmwares in 1 to 2 weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_f1HfEPpMs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

:bisonyes:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Only your console is banned, not your account

repiv posted:

Nice to know, thanks!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

Does that include “the pokemon bank”

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Does that include “the pokemon bank”

You can't access the Pokemon Bank on a banned system. However there are homebrew apps for importing and exporting Pokemon between games, so you can work around it.

It might take a while for a Pokemon Switch save editor to get developed though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If I'm reading this right it seems like the Homebrew Launcher is already running, but the CFW will be running 1 to 2 weeks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All I need is homebrew launcher so I can play my sweet sweet VC games

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Should I get RetroArch on Wii updated? I got the version that can handle the large Neo Geo games and I don't want to break that function but I want to try the general MAME and CPS2 cores.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chemical Bastard posted:

Should I get RetroArch on Wii updated? I got the version that can handle the large Neo Geo games and I don't want to break that function but I want to try the general MAME and CPS2 cores.

RetroArch would just live on your SD card, right? Just back up your SD card, update, and then if it doesn't pan out restore it back.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Is this the one that uses the 3D printed jig that is supposed to be undetectable by Nintendo since its hardware based?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Books On Tape posted:

Is this the one that uses the 3D printed jig that is supposed to be undetectable by Nintendo since its hardware based?

Unpatchable yes, undetectable I doubt it

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Books On Tape posted:

Pretty much. 4.0.1 and earlier might be softmodable at some point, but currently only 1.0.0 can just enter RCM from homebrew right now. You'll still need a USB-C cable that plugs into Switch and computer to actually launch any software from it either way. (Just get a Pro controller or something)

As for undetectable, the moment you boot back into the Horizon OS, software patches or no, all bets are off. Linux is undetectable because it never touches the OS, or even the NAND at all.

Flagrama fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 2, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Books On Tape posted:

The initial exploit that lets you boot unsigned code is undetectable, but anything you do to the system after that might be detectable.

Booting Linux from the SD card is probably safe provided you don't modify anything on the internal storage (since you're not running any Nintendo software, and not leaving any trace on the system to detect later) but as soon as you start tweaking the system software with CFW or custom bootloaders or whatever you're opening yourself up to detection. We don't know how aggressively Nintendo will check for this stuff, but they could, and we won't know they are until a bunch of people get banned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless you are fortunate enough to have an extra Switch, probably best to wait a while to find out if Nintendo can detect it, and a ban looks like. Considering that this thing still uses friend codes, it's probably the same as the 3DS. They will ban your friend code seed, but you can just get another one from another switch. Or just use a public friend code seed until it gets banned and another one pops up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I actually hope Nintendo does have a way of easily banning on Switch. I love homebrew but I don’t want my online games to be ruined.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If homebrew takes off and we get some good emulators, should consoles get banned for it I might just buy a second Switch for the sole purpose of homebrew and keep my current one for normal use/online play. A dedicated emulation machine with this form factor that I can play on my tv or pick up and use anywhere is incredibly appealing to me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll just stick with my 3DS for homebrew if Switches are getting banned. 3DS is arguably better suited for homebrew anyways due to having a dpad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ll just stick with my 3DS for homebrew if Switches are getting banned. 3DS is arguably better suited for homebrew anyways due to having a dpad.

Switches aren't getting banned, nothing has happened yet. I'm just cautioning people that they could get banned since fail0verflows comments have been quoted without context and given the impression that CFW will be risk-free.

Fail0verflow only said that dual-booting Linux and an unmodified Switch OS is undetectable.

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 3, 2018

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
[quote="Uncle at Nintendo" post=""483706682"]

[/quote]

snes9x is pretty great on old 3ds too. I mean, don't expect to play poo poo like Super Mario RPG or Starfox, but it works fine for most games without special chips.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pretty cool how we need a system released in 2014 to emulate a system released in 1991.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lord Frisk posted:

Pretty cool how we need a system released in 2014 to emulate a system released in 1991.

If you want to do it well, not just "good enough", you need more than that. [Ars Technica, a Conde Nast joint]

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lord Frisk posted:

Emulation is complicated. You still need a moderately powered computer if you want to emulate SNES games more accurately and even then it doesn’t quite match original hardware.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Nintendo consoles tend to attract games designed around local multiplayer more than online play anyway. Think of online bans as less of a punishment and more of a way to encourage nerds to congregate and at least play in the same general vicinity.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

general chaos posted:

Nintendo consoles tend to attract games designed around local multiplayer more than online play anyway. Think of online bans as less of a punishment and more of a way to encourage nerds to congregate and at least play in the same general vicinity.

Galaxy brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

As long as they don’t ruin my Splatoon and Mario Kart.:argh: