Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

You used to play a lot of minecraft modding right? Is it easy going from that much content to survival games like this? I'm easily bored without long complicated tech trees, and raising farm animals. PixArk is currently eating my life right now.

Sorry to say, Empyrion isn't going to scratch the automated modded minecraft itch at all. The crafting system is like Applied Energistics, but you have it from the very start. You don't need to build up to it or anything.

Though you might enjoy the custom ship building. That part is a lot closer to modded minecraft, you have to design your ship for fuel efficiency and balance the weight and put rocket boosters in the right spot, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you're buying Empyrion now, I recommend sticking with 7.x and not enabling the experimental until they figure out what they're doing with 8.x. The starting experience has significantly changed and the two games I tried, I froze to death twice at the equator near evening. (15C or colder and you start shivering, no stamina and you have to stuff your face to avoid starvation)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

If you're buying Empyrion now, I recommend sticking with 7.x and not enabling the experimental until they figure out what they're doing with 8.x. The starting experience has significantly changed and the two games I tried, I froze to death twice at the equator near evening. (15C or colder and you start shivering, no stamina and you have to stuff your face to avoid starvation)

Protip: You can make heated drinks with you suit fabricator that warm you up

But yeah, the survival experience is very harsh at the moment, and they came out and said straight up that it is not properly balanced yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I started Empyrion. I grabbed a ton of ore and shoved it in the fabricator so I can now make solar panels, large fabricator etc. But what I actually need is food and biofuel, and I have no idea where to get them. The two garden plots are nowhere near enough and I can't build more without nutrient solution, and killing things does not seem to be an option with the starter pistol.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I started Empyrion. I grabbed a ton of ore and shoved it in the fabricator so I can now make solar panels, large fabricator etc. But what I actually need is food and biofuel, and I have no idea where to get them. The two garden plots are nowhere near enough and I can't build more without nutrient solution, and killing things does not seem to be an option with the starter pistol.

I'm not sure how different things are in Empyrion these days, but food becomes relatively easy once you level up and unlock the Assault Rifle tech. You can go and just shoot things whilst jetpacking away so they can't damage you. Once you have your first little ore mining ship / space faring ship, the gatling guns on that will tear through animals very easily.

I can't remember the recipe for nutrient solution though, but does it require spoiled food? If so, prioritize making large base garden plots. Work towards at least 10, and plant crops that work together that make bigger, more nutritious meals. In the meantime, you can subsist on raw veggies you forage whilst out and about : the corndog looking things, the alien fungus, etc.

For biofuel, does the recipe not tell you what it needs? IIRC it needs seaweed, and seaweed is found in any large bodies of water, you just gotta go diving and search for them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

I can't remember the recipe for nutrient solution though, but does it require spoiled food? If so, prioritize making large base garden plots.

But I need food to have spoiled food to make garden plots so I can have food.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

But I need food to have spoiled food to make garden plots so I can have food.

Go forage, my rookie friend. Just spam E on everything when you're out and about gathering mats. Fungus, corn dogs, corn, berries. Use what you need for food, leave the rest to spoil. But with your ration packs from your crashed shuttle, you shouldn't be worrying about food until things are set up and you're sustainable anyways. You're either sprinting everywhere, freezing cold, boiling hot, or something else that causes faster hunger degeneration. If things get serious and there's an Alien settlement nearby, you can go and loot all their stuff, or take a bunch of tools (chainsaws, mining drills) and trade them for cash, and then use that cash to buy food.

Animals are a really great source of steak. The big cow triceratop things look scarier than they are. The big ones attack, but once you wipe out the Alpha, the others start running. It's child's play with an Assault Rifle, but you just need to kite with a pistol.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks.
My plants died. Is that likely to be because they're not enclosed properly, or because my grow light was solar powered and died during the night?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dang thats a rad update, I need to poke my head in that game again. I really enjoyed busting caps in dinosaur domes and harvesting delicious wild grown corn dogs, and I love being able to say that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Thanks.
My plants died. Is that likely to be because they're not enclosed properly, or because my grow light was solar powered and died during the night?

I've never had plants die on me, but I'm leaning towards it being due to the solar panels cutting out at night. Build yourself a battery, or better yet, make a generator. It's been at least 6 months since I played this game, so I dunno how much harder it is to make a self-sufficient base, but I could get a decent one going within an hour or two.

Though in your defense, I prioritized research unlocking and almost all of my early bases and ships were held together with duct tape and jank. Once I hit the mid-game, I'd redo everything: I'd plonk a new base somewhere nicer and build it with aesthetics in mind, and I'd redo all my ships so that they looked nice and functioned better, instead of just being ugly rectangles with a poo poo tonne of modules stuck onto them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I turned xp progression to 'fast' so I could build stuff, now I've got a generator etc. But I wasn't sure if plants needed to be in enclosed greenhouses even on Akua.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Thanks.

It could actually be both! Being outside and lack of light will kill your plants, only grow plant inside. Don't use solar panels for primary power, they are only supposed to be a supplement. If it gets too cold/hot they die. You need a proper promethium powered generator to keep the lights on and the temperature correct inside.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The Lone Badger posted:

I followed the starter quest chain to the crashed titan pieces and salvaged either the front or the middle section for the growing plots in it. There's over 30 of them in it. When you find the right section with the growing plots, dig down around the front fins and you should find the core around the third or fourth fin on the bottom. Recore it and disassemble the plots.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there somewhere I can browse community blueprints by level / material tier? I'm going to ease myself into HV design rather than jump into it headfirst.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 30, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there somewhere I can browse community blueprints by level / material tier? I'm going to ease myself into HV design rather than jump into it headfirst.

Steam Workshop is the only place. You have to download them and look at them in game before you can find out what their level is unfortunately. Do a search for "cheap" or "starter" blueprints and you can find ones that only use basic resources.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Well, The Forest finally got 1.0 release. I recall playing it couple years back but it was a bit boring in the long run. Did it become a good game?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

For anyone who likes Empyrion you might want to try Planet Explorers as well. The atmosphere of the game is a bit more cartoony and it takes places entirely on a single planet (despite the name), but it has a really well done CAD-like editor. The editor lets you make anything from weapons (both guns and swords, with various receivers and calibres for the former), through custom armour and furniture to a wide variety of vehicles (quadcopters, helicopters, motorbikes, cars, submarines, not-space-spaceships, boats, tanks and just generally lots of stuff). It has really good npc gameplay as well, better than any other survival game I've seen.

On the other hand the graphics are done in this slightly off-putting Korean MMO style, and the voxels the game uses are really tiny and only have a single texture for each material by default (you can use custom textures and bumpmaps and specular properties to customise it though, along with simple brush-like painting), meaning it takes a relatively long time to build something.

e: Here's a tutorial on making a custom boat, which shows off both the editor and the problems with it. It's from a fairly old version though, the latest one has even more features for the editor. Notably the vehicle physics are fairly realistic (not quite KSP level, but good by the standards of survival games), and the material, shape and weight distribution of things you make determines their stats.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 3, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to manually fire turrets while continuing to fly? And/or manually fire multiple turrets at once?

Edit: Can anyone recommend me a blueprint for a ship to go asteroid mining in? Almost all blueprints require Cobalt, and that's what I need to go and mine.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 2, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fewd posted:

Well, The Forest finally got 1.0 release. I recall playing it couple years back but it was a bit boring in the long run. Did it become a good game?

There’s multiple endings now so in that way yes it’s become a much better game

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

How does The Forest compare to The Long Dark? For some reason my mental picture is that they’re basically interchangeable

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to manually fire turrets while continuing to fly? And/or manually fire multiple turrets at once?

I think so, if you open the ship control panel (K, I think?) you can access turrets from within the ship. Only caveat is: if you're the one flying, your ship will just hover (or start falling slowly if you've balanced all the thrusters badly). It's way better to have a passenger do it. This game is much more enjoyable with a friend, or group of friends. Set up your own bases, or build together, and have fun little PvP skirmishes when it suits you. Public servers are something I never really got into on Empyrion.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pathos posted:

How does The Forest compare to The Long Dark? For some reason my mental picture is that they’re basically interchangeable

I picked it up last night with a friend. It's not long dark levels of grog, survival is fairly easy once you figure out how to make a spear and can hit deer with it.

It's pretty scary though. We went cave diving and holy gently caress the things down there...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

If you have other players sitting in passenger seats its possible for each one to control a turret manually. My favorite implementation of this is the 100% functional Millennium Falcon that lets one player fly and two other players man the guns like the movie :D
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=926519792
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpm07C6HjJs

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wish I had half the skill, talent and creativity that these Steam Workshop people have. I just can't make ships look aesthetic. They always end up somewhat blocky and ugly. My brain just doesn't work that way. I always build the interior first, and then try and make the outside look nice, but it doesn't work.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Pathos posted:

They're not really that interchangeable. Long Dark is a very slow game where almost all resources are finite, self-sufficiency is a constant upward fight that you can never win the war with, just the battles, and your greatest foe is the elements. A much more grounded, somber take on survival. Extremely atmospheric at almost all times.

The Forest (Based on my ~3h playtime) is allot looser, is half a horror game at heart, your never really gonna be scrabbling to survive or find food or water save for the very start, and it throws combat at you fairly frequently. It's fun to build an encampment though, and the inventory system is fairly neat, despite mostly just being visually different from the standard than mechanically. Seems to have an extensive interconnected underground layer that is terrifying and I've yet to explore much because my only mobile lightsource is a piddly lighter still. A very arcadey survival game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Empyrion again: If I want to sell something, do I need to find a trader dealing in that specific item?

Edit: \/ hmm, sounds like I should take paper notes of who trades in what

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 3, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Empyrion again: If I want to sell something, do I need to find a trader dealing in that specific item?

You sure do! Finding good traders is one of the best reasons to explore the solar system. I think there is a trading system for players too, but I only play single player so I don't know how that works.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jawnycat posted:

Seems to have an extensive interconnected underground layer that is terrifying and I've yet to explore much because my only mobile lightsource is a piddly lighter still. A very arcadey survival game.

Trust me when I say that there are things in the darkness of the underground empire that you don't want to see. But if you're at the point in the game when your only mobile light source is the lighter, then you probably wouldn't be able to live long enough to get a good look anyways.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Describing Forest as an arcadey survival take is a pretty reasonable way of describing it. the easiest thing to mention is that Forest, by various tactics, encourages you to cut down trees, build things, and sprint like a madman everywhere through its stat system, and its stats actually matter in a lot of ways. the inventory is also much simplified; each item has a maximum number of things you can carry but each inventory item has zero bearing on each other. In Long Dark you might need to drop some meat to carry a tool because of the weight involved - in Forest, there's no such thing as weight, you can carry 3 lizards, 3 rabbits, 10 snacks, 3 small meats, 3 large meats, and that's your food allowance. Deal with it. Not that that's difficult, all of that is multiple days worth of food.

Long Dark forces you to do a lot of stuff that you'd actually want to do in a survival situation - plan ahead outings, WALK, not run, avoid moving over slopes, water, etc, and move deliberately. Forest says gently caress it to all of that and encourages you to chop down trees, build bases in absurdly short amounts of time, run around like a madman and poke crocodiles in the butt with spears. But Long Dark will never have Cronenbergian monsters hiding in the bowels of the land that take a special and particular offense to your existence.

Forest also is loving incredible in multiplayer, loving add me on steam if you want to play it I love that game.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 3, 2018

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Coolguye posted:

Describing Forest as an arcadey survival take is a pretty reasonable way of describing it. the easiest thing to mention is that Forest, by various tactics, encourages you to cut down trees, build things, and sprint like a madman everywhere through its stat system, and its stats actually matter in a lot of ways. the inventory is also much simplified; each item has a maximum number of things you can carry but each inventory item has zero bearing on each other. In Long Dark you might need to drop some meat to carry a tool because of the weight involved - in Forest, there's no such thing as weight, you can carry 3 lizards, 3 rabbits, 10 snacks, 3 small meats, 3 large meats, and that's your food allowance. Deal with it. Not that that's difficult, all of that is multiple days worth of food.

Long Dark forces you to do a lot of stuff that you'd actually want to do in a survival situation - plan ahead outings, WALK, not run, avoid moving over slopes, water, etc, and move deliberately. Forest says gently caress it to all of that and encourages you to chop down trees, build bases in absurdly short amounts of time, run around like a madman and poke crocodiles in the butt with spears. But Long Dark will never have Cronenbergian monsters hiding in the bowels of the land that take a special and particular offense to your existence.

Forest also is loving incredible in multiplayer, loving add me on steam if you want to play it I love that game.

I've been really busy and haven't gotten to play The Forest in 1.0. Did they remove the infinite/respawning resources?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Travic posted:

I've been really busy and haven't gotten to play The Forest in 1.0. Did they remove the infinite/respawning resources?

I've been playing a bit and things are respawning. Somewhere in the options I saw a checkbox for respawning trees so you can disable at least that if that's your thing.

Also, I'm playing on hard and cannibals are stupidly strong. Yesterday I hit one with a spear like 15-20 times and it just kept coming and killed me with couple hits. Maybe spear is just poo poo, dunno.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Spear is poo poo. You want a club (skull + stick, knock over an effigy to get the skull easier) and then using sap + booze up to 30 times to upgrade the damage. For bigger fights you also want poison arrows (arrow + poison berry, either twinberry or snowberry) and the occasional flaming weapon (stick + cloth, booze optional or club + booze). Flaming arrows are also nice but they can be a trick to use when you’re in the poo poo.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Hmmm okay this is super helpful. I’ll probably give The Forest a shot eventually but I think The Long Dark may be more my speed. I really enjoy the super punishing nature of it. It makes the victories (however minor) feel more significant.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pathos posted:

Hmmm okay this is super helpful. I’ll probably give The Forest a shot eventually but I think The Long Dark may be more my speed. I really enjoy the super punishing nature of it. It makes the victories (however minor) feel more significant.

I had to abandon the long dark after I got trapped in a Moose carouselle (moose murdered me over and over, couldn't get away fast enough). I just couldn't stand the lack of realism anymore, it just became too videogamey. The moose looked and functioned pretty poorly, and the bear was only marginally better, though could at least be planned around.

Frog Act posted:

I dont care about any of the weird wetness mechanics or anything, and I clicked on that expecting garbage, but they way the game is handling things like draw distance, perceiving enemies via outlines and camouflage, and especially movement in the environment all look really appealing after only ever buying, and playing, DayZ SA out of all the stuff in this genre.

DayZ SA was a better game with less/better survival mechanics. It was always first and foremost an other-people-surviver type game though, for good reason. Probably the only game I'd consider a proper pvp survival game, if that makes any kind of sense.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Can confirm that the spear is poo poo, but what you want the spear for is hunting wildlife, not cannibals. It's easily one of the better hunting weapons you can use since it will one-shot deer when thrown and gives you the ability to spear-fish in ponds and streams.

In a pinch, you could use one to set a big mutant on fire, but it's definitely not the optimal way to do so.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cannibals should be easier to kill than deer. Immersion broken.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Most Dangerous Game is not a deer.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Fewd posted:

I've been playing a bit and things are respawning. Somewhere in the options I saw a checkbox for respawning trees so you can disable at least that if that's your thing.

Also, I'm playing on hard and cannibals are stupidly strong. Yesterday I hit one with a spear like 15-20 times and it just kept coming and killed me with couple hits. Maybe spear is just poo poo, dunno.

Oh I like the respawning. I was worried they'd taken it out. Especially for things like cloth. There is not enough normally to make all the armor and rope I use.

The regular spear is crap as has been stated. Weak spears should only be used for killing deer. A thrown one will one-shot a deer. The upgraded spear is much much better. The club is very good as well. The katana is great at the start, but can't be upgraded. The modern axe is powerful, but too slow for me. Also make sure you are rocking a full set of armor at all times.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Jesus the flashlight in The Forest is such utter garbo, it's so incredibly bad it's really not worth using over the piddly lighter. I just honestly cannot get over how bad the flashlight is. Like, is it some weird setting/hardware/software thing on my end? It cannot possibly be intended for it to be so bad, especially when it uses rare batteries to work? :psyduck:

I probably should grab some screenshots next time I play so I can have a comparison shot between flashlight on/off just to show this, a 'see if you can tell the difference' dealy, because I am still in goddamn shock at how abysmal it is.

And I appear to have gotten far enough into the game that the underground things have migrated above ground and leaving the relative safety of my walled camp to even just go cut down a few trees nearby is tense and uncomfortable, the entire game world feels oppressive now that I know those things can be anywhere at anytime and I still don't have a good strategy for fighting them. Is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I had to abandon the long dark after I got trapped in a Moose carouselle (moose murdered me over and over, couldn't get away fast enough). I just couldn't stand the lack of realism anymore, it just became too videogamey. The moose looked and functioned pretty poorly, and the bear was only marginally better, though could at least be planned around.

DayZ SA was a better game with less/better survival mechanics. It was always first and foremost an other-people-surviver type game though, for good reason. Probably the only game I'd consider a proper pvp survival game, if that makes any kind of sense.

i feel like a less gamey version of tld would be a giant waste of time