Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So when running a Khaganate, how do I minimize the number of vassals who break off on succession? Is it something to do with vassal opinion? Because my guy is Jewish and most of my vassals are Sunni, which could make things difficult.

If you're talking about other clans, having high clan sentiment and making sure your horde is a good deal more powerful than they are helps. If you're talking non-nomad vassals, vassal opinion will help but there's a lot of factors working to make them hate you, so unless things go exactly right it's kind of a losing fight. Vassals for nomads are mainly good for the income boost when you can't afford, for whatever reason, to confiscate all their land and burn down all civilization to make more grazing lands for your clans.

If you haven't already discovered this, by the way, your clans don't care if you revoke a non-nomad title, and if I recall correctly the only real cost of revoking titles without a reason as a nomad is a little prestige and the chance of a rebellion against tyranny. If you're confident in beating down the rebellion, go ahead and revoke everyone's titles so you own everything personally, and then start pillaging everything to the ground. This is how you supercharge your horde and become the terror of the world, by burning everything down and turning all of Eurasia into your unspoiled grazing grounds.

Edit: Like, by the time I got bored of my last nomad game all of Central Asia was pasturage and I'd conquered an Indian empire stretching across all of Northern India in a single go and began burning everything, and the only thing that stopped me was the micro involved in revoking and burning everything and then assigning all the new land to the clans.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Coward posted:

Anyone got any ideas with this one? I'm seriously stumped on why I can't declare war for Rome.

Can you show us a screenshot?

I can only guess. Is it actually the Aztecs holding the county of Rome? Do you really currently have a strong claim on Rome? Those are the only things that make sense to me. If you can declare other wars on them, then they are not out of di9lomatic range.

So click on the county, then the person holding the county, and from there up their lieges until you see thr top liege. Is it the Aztec emperor?

Also, click on your character and hover over your claim. Is it really for the county of Rome?

As a last resort, you could browse CK2wiki/CBs to see if anything else could prevent you from pressing your claim.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Just started my first nomad run in 769 Magyar as the Khan. All's going... roughly (immediate war clusterfuck with every neighbor). Eventually my son and heir gets captured during a war and my ruler dies due to depression.

I tried to get my warscore up but my liege beat me to some territory so I believe we won with him having higher warscore. So my current character and brand-spanking new ruler is still imprisoned.

Is my only option at this point to wait either for my character to die in prison or for my money to build up to 250 for a ransom?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is the China expansion as wacky and broken as it sounds?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is the China expansion as wacky and broken as it sounds?

You can get very overpowered very quickly by sending away for artifacts that up your realm/ dynasty stats, and if you send away to China for wives/husbands they usually have good, inheritable traits. And what with the Han abilities to both take concubines and choose your heir, you can end up with a dynasty of godlike supermen without too much effort, plus if you have a Silk Road post or two you're rolling in money sooner than later. It's kind of ridiculous, but it can be fun as hell.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 26, 2018

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Amergin posted:

Just started my first nomad run in 769 Magyar as the Khan. All's going... roughly (immediate war clusterfuck with every neighbor). Eventually my son and heir gets captured during a war and my ruler dies due to depression.

I tried to get my warscore up but my liege beat me to some territory so I believe we won with him having higher warscore. So my current character and brand-spanking new ruler is still imprisoned.

Is my only option at this point to wait either for my character to die in prison or for my money to build up to 250 for a ransom?

Raid some stuff if you can and you'll get that 250 pretty quick. Inheritance when you're a nomad is decided by prestige so you can basically pick your heir by appointing them to several high ranking positions.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm really confused why I can't subjugate Sweden as Fairhair. I restarted my Norse game because I adopted feudalism without realizing A. The rest of your vassals need to get their holdings upgraded before they'll adopt it as well and B. My levies were basically halved.

So I start a new game and start the subjugation train on Norway and after subjugating a county, I can no longer subjugate Sweden. I can still subjugate Denmark including the island with 5 holdings and the holy site (which I typically use as my capital), but not Sweden. I'm not really sure why this is. I want to grab up Sweden before reforming the faith and adopting feudalism, but I don't think I can pull it off immediately on start. I guess I could immediately start raiding rather than subjugating and hire mercs to take it over, but I'm not seeing other way besides waiting for Fairhair to die.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm really confused why I can't subjugate Sweden as Fairhair. I restarted my Norse game because I adopted feudalism without realizing A. The rest of your vassals need to get their holdings upgraded before they'll adopt it as well and B. My levies were basically halved.

So I start a new game and start the subjugation train on Norway and after subjugating a county, I can no longer subjugate Sweden. I can still subjugate Denmark including the island with 5 holdings and the holy site (which I typically use as my capital), but not Sweden. I'm not really sure why this is. I want to grab up Sweden before reforming the faith and adopting feudalism, but I don't think I can pull it off immediately on start. I guess I could immediately start raiding rather than subjugating and hire mercs to take it over, but I'm not seeing other way besides waiting for Fairhair to die.

I think Denmark owns part of Norway, that's why you can subjugate them. You can only subjugate once per ruler, except in your de jure kingdom if you have the become king ambition. And I think you use up your one subjugation even if it's within Norway. But because Denmark holds land in Norway, you can subjugate them.

Fabricate a claim on the Swedish holy site to reform the faith.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The last few games I played, I screwed up horribly in the first 10 minutes of playing, so I figured I'd hold off on getting back into my Byzantine game until I get my groove back.

I thought I'd try conquering Britain from Wales instead of Ireland, which is a lot harder. What I really didn't expect was how gavelkind would both give me opportunities while screwing me over at the same time. On the senior branch of the family, my next heir had gone over to France and got converted to Frankish and had pretty lame stats, but he also managed to finagle himself into getting married to the duchess of Northumbria, meaning that's about a third of the work of conquering England done right there, and on the junior branch, the first son was a worthless poo poo who took half of Wales and then went into non-stop rebellion, but the second son was a genius with, who helped me take down his brother even if he was too far down in succession to plausibly become heir.

What really kills me is that gavelkind REALLY LOVES loving you over, and handed away 9 of my 10 counties on the next inheritance, which cut my max army by 75% including vassal levies, basically pushing me back down to the way I started out the game. It's one thing to lose half your territory to one guy, but losing everything is just too much. It led to me getting destroyed when Robin Hood, duke of Leinster rebelled for independence.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Torrannor posted:

I think Denmark owns part of Norway, that's why you can subjugate them. You can only subjugate once per ruler, except in your de jure kingdom if you have the become king ambition. And I think you use up your one subjugation even if it's within Norway. But because Denmark holds land in Norway, you can subjugate them.

Fabricate a claim on the Swedish holy site to reform the faith.

Okay I figured that had to be it. The subjugation stuff is weird but it's better thank trying to fight the claim/marriage system for catholics.

What should I be aiming to do before reforming the pagan faith and/or adopting feudalism? Besides the requirements, I mean. It seems like a far more painful transition than I thought it would be.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Gavelkind is so close to being a fun mechanic but it just isn't there. Losing your peripheral territories to siblings would keep things fresh, but in practice it seems like I always lose my core counties and get left with a tiny demesne and a bunch of high level titles leaving me much weaker than my vassals in practice.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah it pretty much inevtiably fucks up de jure borders and ends up with the firstborn holding a single county and kingship. Which isn’t even how works in the game history. Look at Norway after Hardrada dies, both sons have a powerful duchy and one has the king title on top. In-game gavelkind it’d be one megaduke inheriting the entire second duchy and a really weak king.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is the "Force Vassalization" CB a CK2+ thing? because that's my absolute loving favorite for Norse games. once you've vassalized enough of Scandinavia you can basically just declare wars, call all your allies in, and sit back and watch the fireworks and only personally intervene if the AI does something wonky.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is the "Force Vassalization" CB a CK2+ thing? because that's my absolute loving favorite for Norse games. once you've vassalized enough of Scandinavia you can basically just declare wars, call all your allies in, and sit back and watch the fireworks and only personally intervene if the AI does something wonky.

I think it's a Jade Dragon addition. I have that in my non modded game.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Yea, I probably wouldn't rush to get rid of gavelkind every game if it made even a lick of sense. I understand they're trying to keep things balanced, but it really feels like the inheritances are just designed to screw over your heir as hard as possible.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I mostly am okay with elective gavelkind because it works how I'd expect it to usually since it just creates kingdoms and poo poo for the others sons.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

My solution as Sweden is to go hardcore satanist and eat all but one of my sons.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: My solution is to go hardcore Satanist and eat all but one of my sons

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ahh, the Kronos gambit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I stayed tribal for a couple hundred years and at first summoning my tribal vassals as blue armies was annoying since you can only give them vague orders, but they were really good and stomping pissant peasant rebellions. I could just hit the call vassals button and they'd take care of it. My empire is spread out so it was nice not having to get everyone together and march them around myself.

Is there anyway to tell a green vassal army to just go stomp out the little rebellions themselves, I'm busy over here worshiping Hel and seducing and stuff.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Got to love the rage this game puts in my brother.

"You mother fucker went and got rabies and DIED to screw me over didn't you! You just had to go play with rabid dogs, get sick, die just to gently caress over my ONCE in a life time CB to subjugate your rear end! gently caress you! You saw my army coming and thought.. 'gently caress that invader! im going to get myself killed! with rabies!'"

:allears:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Torrannor posted:

Can you show us a screenshot?

I can only guess. Is it actually the Aztecs holding the county of Rome? Do you really currently have a strong claim on Rome? Those are the only things that make sense to me. If you can declare other wars on them, then they are not out of di9lomatic range.

So click on the county, then the person holding the county, and from there up their lieges until you see thr top liege. Is it the Aztec emperor?

Also, click on your character and hover over your claim. Is it really for the county of Rome?

As a last resort, you could browse CK2wiki/CBs to see if anything else could prevent you from pressing your claim.

I finally worked it out. Didn't notice that they'd gone full Agnatic, so my Empress can't push her claim. That's what I get for rushing Full Status of Women in my games and forgetting that other nations don't do that.

Ah, well, I'll just get the Empress achievement and then get Rome later with a male ruler.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I've got a Horse Lords question. I'm on the 867 Magyars start. Won the war against Bulgaria excellently, losing only 2k troops and gaining all the territories before any could revolt or be lost to other wars. Now my ruler has dozens of holdings. In the previous game, I held them all and immediately started pillaging them. Which didn't work well as they all rose up in revolt and killed whatever remained of my horde.

It seems like this time I should start by granting the counties with the least holdings to my clans. Then I should pick a duchy or two and start pillaging those until they're all grassland and then continue on. But I've got a poo poo ton of counties to raze to the ground; what do I do with the counties that I'm not pilaging while I wait for the pillaging ones to reset? It seems like I'm incurring a large number of "Wrong Holding in Demense" penalties.

Any other tips for horse lords / nomads that want to turn the world into a grazing ground?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any recommend mods for changing crusades? I do like the changes CK plus makes, but this is for a multiplayer game and I feel it slows the pace down too much.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I've got a Horse Lords question. I'm on the 867 Magyars start. Won the war against Bulgaria excellently, losing only 2k troops and gaining all the territories before any could revolt or be lost to other wars. Now my ruler has dozens of holdings. In the previous game, I held them all and immediately started pillaging them. Which didn't work well as they all rose up in revolt and killed whatever remained of my horde.

It seems like this time I should start by granting the counties with the least holdings to my clans. Then I should pick a duchy or two and start pillaging those until they're all grassland and then continue on. But I've got a poo poo ton of counties to raze to the ground; what do I do with the counties that I'm not pilaging while I wait for the pillaging ones to reset? It seems like I'm incurring a large number of "Wrong Holding in Demense" penalties.

Any other tips for horse lords / nomads that want to turn the world into a grazing ground?

Okay so when clans want more land it's based on empty holdings I believe, not total counties. It'll say you need to give away x amount of counties but that's really just an estimate of how many empty holdings you need to give away. Specifically giving them counties with a small amount of holdings in them will just result in you having to give out more counties, so it doesn't really matter which ones you keep or give away other than for some reason the AI never seems to pillage so you probably want to do that yourself first. I think the power of the rebellions due to pillaging in based on the number of buildings in that county. Once everything is completely pillaged there are no more rebellions, due to no one living there. So you probably want to park your horde on top of the most developed province you're currently pillaging. Otherwise yeah breaking your pillaging into pieces can make dealing with the rebellions more manageable. Don't worry about having the wrong holding type message there, it's just reminding you that you can't efficiently collect taxes or raise levies and stuff from them. It's not a negative penalty to anything you need to care about as a nomad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is there a way to mass revoke titles or mass pillage holdings? I subjugated the Byzantines and then spent like 45 minutes revoking everything and getting the pillaging going.

Then I spent like 2 hours putting down an Orthodox Uprising. They just kept springing up everywhere from Rome to Baghdad, poo poo was obnoxious.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
No. Just be lucky you didn't misclick and settle as feudal while playing on ironman. I've done that one before.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Okay so when clans want more land it's based on empty holdings I believe, not total counties. It'll say you need to give away x amount of counties but that's really just an estimate of how many empty holdings you need to give away. Specifically giving them counties with a small amount of holdings in them will just result in you having to give out more counties, so it doesn't really matter which ones you keep or give away other than for some reason the AI never seems to pillage so you probably want to do that yourself first.
Other way around, IIRC. Vassal khans only care about the number of counties, not the size of them. They're just as happy with a 1-slot podunk in the Siberian wastes as with a 6-slot paradise. Also, I believe you want as many weak clans as possible, so they don't pose a threat if they rebel.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
When you give out counties with a small amount of holdings sometimes the clans want more land counter doesn't go down because you didn't give away enough empty holdings. Also when you're pillaging the clans want more land notification will pop up because you're creating more empty holdings. I know the language says counties and a lot of people probably believe that, as I've seen people saying to give out like the two or three holding counties more than once, but based on those two pieces of evidence I'm pretty confident it's holdings.

e:the clan's max pop is also definitely based on empty holdings so it also follows that what clans really want is more of those to continue growing their population.

On the second part - You can go with the many small clans that all hate you because there's way too many route, sure, but it's kind of gamey and a good civil war every once and awhile is always fun. It also really helps to be able to call up 4 or 5 other clans with almost as many men as you when you're doing something like conquering the Abbasids.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 30, 2018

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

It's counties, not holdings. The reason you're getting that notification is that counties with less than 2 empty holding slots don't count and pillaging opens those up.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

:stare:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So which of CK2+ or HIP is the more preferred mod these days?

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 2, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Is this what those far right parties always talk about?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Piell posted:

I actually tried ck2+ last night and it really didn't thrill me. Maybe I was missing something but I tried an ol' Munster start and I could not make any headway at all.

I also gave Robert the Fox a shot but his kids all had 0s for stats at like age 11 so I don't know if it's bugged or what.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 2, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Piell posted:

After the End

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I favor Crisis of the Confederation, personally.

yes i do need to roll the game back to like 2.4.5 something, so what! its a good mod!

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Is AtE relatively bug-free at the moment? I kept getting crashes after an hour of play pre Jade dragon

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tomn posted:

yes i do need to roll the game back to like 2.4.5 something

it's been updated but the current build is hacky as gently caress so I'd wait for more work to be done on it

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I need some advice. I play as the doge of the most serene republic of Venice and also control Croatia. I have most of the DLCs, but not Conclave if that matters. I just won a war for control of Italy and now have a bunch of counties and duchies to distribute.

My question is: As a merchant republic, should I create new republics as vassals (and at which level, county or duchy?) or go feudal?

I know that vassal republics of a MR won't be MRs themselves, but will the tax income still be worth it? Or is the levy from feudal vassals better?

I also have a problem with vassal limits. Is it stupid to give a mayor more than one duchy?

Any advice is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
A while ago there was talk about starting another tutorial LP thread. Did that ever end up getting off the ground or did Oafaloaf's mega LP usurp it?

• Locked thread