Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I very much doubt it. I've not seen many OO languages which do.

Scala has the @tailrec annotation to require that a function gets compiled into a tail-recursive form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Kotlin has the tailrec keyword as well.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Some c/++ compilers on some architectures do it. I've noticed gcc on armv7 will reuse stack for tail calls.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phobeste posted:

Some c/++ compilers on some architectures do it. I've noticed gcc on armv7 will reuse stack for tail calls.

There's a big difference between 'might do it if the optimiser feels like it' and 'is guaranteed to do it' though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phobeste posted:

Don’t do recursive implementations without tco

Counterpoint : unless the maximum depth of recursion is bounded and small.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Does Java even have proper tco? I literally haven't used recursion (besides working on these problems lol) in years, when I wrote a custom parser for auditing some huge JSON requests.

No, but I believe it's a limitation of JVM rather than Java. Functional languages on JVM use special syntax for equivalent functionality.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Is it worth it to qualify skills in different tech on a resume? I've mostly heard "no" but to say I'm equally proficient in my best and worst tech is not at all fair. But on the flipside I really don't want to have a "skills" section anymore - my work experience pretty much speaks for itself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Is it worth it to qualify skills in different tech on a resume? I've mostly heard "no" but to say I'm equally proficient in my best and worst tech is not at all fair. But on the flipside I really don't want to have a "skills" section anymore - my work experience pretty much speaks for itself.

At most I'd say e.g. "fluent in C, C++, Java, Python, some familiarity with Go, Javascript, SQL". But yeah, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

I just list things in order of proficiency. So I list it like Python, SQL, R, Javascript, Go, C#. I leave off more esoteric languages that generally aren't part of what I work on like Rust or Haskell; just muddies the waters. But if I was applying to work on those languages I'd totally shift things around.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Do you guys leave yourselves breadcrumbs to help counteract context loss? If so what is your system for helping remember what you were up to before you left work/went on vacation?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

withoutclass posted:

Do you guys leave yourselves breadcrumbs to help counteract context loss? If so what is your system for helping remember what you were up to before you left work/went on vacation?

Write a plaintext comment into my source code, outside of a comment block. The code won't be syntactically valid until I remove the comment, so it's a good way to say "no dummy, you can't get any work done until you read me."

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Write a plaintext comment into my source code, outside of a comment block. The code won't be syntactically valid until I remove the comment, so it's a good way to say "no dummy, you can't get any work done until you read me."

This, or if it isn't specifically code related I'll open up a notepad full screen and say "Figure <X> out" with a few notes to point myself in the right direction

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If it's really important that I pay attention to it first, I leave a piece of paper physically covering part of the keyboard with the note on it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I break my skills section down into three parts: things I'm very good at, things I know decently well, and things I have some familiarity with (and can discuss a little bit in the interview).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I have a legal pad that I write in daily with what needs to get done. Mainly for keeping me focused but also to remind myself where I left off at the end of the day.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

ultrafilter posted:

I break my skills section down into three parts: things I'm very good at, things I know decently well, and things I have some familiarity with (and can discuss a little bit in the interview).

I just don't know where to put things like "SQL" and poo poo I'm not terribly familiar with at all, that I don't want to leave off but don't want to discuss in great depth because lol I've been asked detailed questions about things like that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

withoutclass posted:

It’s extremely rare that I leave myself no notes whatsoever. I employ all of these with varying frequency (and there’s probably patterns behind when I use what, but I haven’t paid enough attention to figure them out):

Commit message of the form "WIP doing the thing, got to the point where the doohickey works, next step is to whatever ALSO WRITE SOME TESTS GENIUS". Before continuing I’ll back out of the commit.

Make a reminder in the iOS Reminders app (with a due date, always set a due date).

New document in text editor, write notes to self, leave untitled document sitting atop everything. (This is a text editor that restores all open documents on relaunch, so a reboot or whatever is ok.)

Update my checklist in the iOS Notes app.

Update the Trello card.

Write a note with a pen on some paper and stick it somewhere I'll see it (atop the mouse and/or keyboard are good bets).

Write some // TODO: comments.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gonna add this to my arsenal.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Sticky notes for todos, and the Notepad application for a brain dump.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

withoutclass posted:

A notebook

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like to add TODO comments which my IDE conveniently gathers up into a list that I check prior to pushing my branch

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Pixelboy posted:

A notebook

I like to think on paper so I will often note down what I'm trying to achieve and how I'll go about it, I write down burning questions as they occur to me and cross them off once I'm pretty sure I've solved them.

Forget vacation, it helps from one day to the next.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Do none of you guys use task tracking tools like VSTS or JIRA etc? I just leave a comment on the open case if something is important enough to note.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Do none of you guys use task tracking tools like VSTS or JIRA etc? I just leave a comment on the open case if something is important enough to note.
I use a combination of a work notebook and tracking tools. The tracking tools are great for items related to the work I'm doing, and the notebook is more like a todo list where I can list out the basic items I'd like to accomplish for the day (and sketch out things that I might need to visualize and/or take notes or whatever).

Generally I like writing things down. A nice notebook and a nice pen are just part of my workflow now.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

genki posted:

I use a combination of a work notebook and tracking tools. The tracking tools are great for items related to the work I'm doing, and the notebook is more like a todo list where I can list out the basic items I'd like to accomplish for the day (and sketch out things that I might need to visualize and/or take notes or whatever).

Generally I like writing things down. A nice notebook and a nice pen are just part of my workflow now.

Oh I get it, yeah makes sense. I use a notepad for that stuff too.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

We use Jira but I treat it more as notes of record, or things I think would be relevant to coworkers. My notebook is more for my thoughts and personal process. It's a lot easier to quickly draw a rough diagram on paper than in a Jira comment.

e:fb

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Oh god, yeah quick diagramming is one thing that pen and paper can't be beat for.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Oh god, yeah quick diagramming is one thing that pen and paper can't be beat for.

unless you buy an iPad Pro and know how to use it well

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

unless you buy an iPad Pro

There are much better ways to waste money.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Cirofren posted:

We use Jira but I treat it more as notes of record, or things I think would be relevant to coworkers. My notebook is more for my thoughts and personal process. It's a lot easier to quickly draw a rough diagram on paper than in a Jira comment.

e:fb

This. Because the endpoints I write need to be somewhat documented so frontend can do its thing, I have a jira story with the change on my name where all that can be expected of the endpoint is in.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

There are much better ways to waste money.

Do tell. I’ve been considering grabbing an iPad Pro for notes and occasionally remoting in to a box (my mini needs a repair or abandonment)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

unless you buy an iPad Pro and know how to use it well

But according to the commercials I've seen they're only fit for ~creative~ schoolwork :confused:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

leper khan posted:

Do tell. I’ve been considering grabbing an iPad Pro for notes and occasionally remoting in to a box (my mini needs a repair or abandonment)

I did look at them but they're just SOOO expensive that if you even a little bit stack it up against a giant pile of top quality notebooks and pens it can't compete unless you are truly hardcore about your usage.

There was some "smart pad" thing which claimed to be like writing on paper but I'm still waiting for the second version before seeing about buying, since the first one had some lag issues.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Too many solid suggestions to quote but appreciate the ideas. I'm especially drawn to leaving uncommented text notes right in the code to force me to look at them. Thanks all.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

In other news, today an email came in from a really large company in my region, asking for a freelance "Ethical Hacker" with a rate indication of "as sharp as possible" which is newspeak for as "low as possible". I found this extremely entertaining.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Jaded Burnout posted:

I did look at them but they're just SOOO expensive that if you even a little bit stack it up against a giant pile of top quality notebooks and pens it can't compete unless you are truly hardcore about your usage.

There was some "smart pad" thing which claimed to be like writing on paper but I'm still waiting for the second version before seeing about buying, since the first one had some lag issues.

They're very good for having all of your notes in one location and easily sharable with teammates. They're great for follow ups to meetings with said notes and annotations, and even diagrams.

That said, you can also just whiteboard + write on a piece of paper and use Microsoft Lens (or I think the default camera on iOS) to "documentize" an image to a PDF. They do a pretty good job fixing lighting and aspects nowadays with that all.

I don't have one here at work but I too have been thinking about it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Microsoft Surface is a surprisingly good tablet. And the Book version makes it a decent work laptop.
I still prefer paper & frixion pens.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I keep a todo.txt open in my editor. It contains notes to myself, questions I need more detail about, code snippets, etc. Used to do pen and paper but I liked being able to copy/paste stuff (e.g. a logging snippet with ansi colors and linebreaks, usernames/passwords for testing various roles, etc).

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

We use VSTS a lot for general progress / sprint tracking. It rocks.

Occasionally notes will be passed here if a task is being handed off.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Started a new project two weeks back and I was super nervous they would find out I did not as much backend development as I made it seem (marketing, yay). Two weeks in, I asked for feedback on the two weeks and was told that they are impressed, happy to see the speed at which I see things that need to happen, don't display tunnel vision and consider impact of changes beyond the service I work on and best of all: while striving for quality accept that there is only so much that can be done now. I should do less: worrying about not knowing stuff (I freaked out about not remembering generated sources).

So I think I did well and really enjoy coding new stuff in existing code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Keetron posted:

Started a new project two weeks back and I was super nervous they would find out I did not as much backend development as I made it seem (marketing, yay). Two weeks in, I asked for feedback on the two weeks and was told that they are impressed, happy to see the speed at which I see things that need to happen, don't display tunnel vision and consider impact of changes beyond the service I work on and best of all: while striving for quality accept that there is only so much that can be done now. I should do less: worrying about not knowing stuff (I freaked out about not remembering generated sources).

So I think I did well and really enjoy coding new stuff in existing code.

Imposer syndrome strikes again!