Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft's console has been out for 4 years and nobody's running pirated games on it

Yeah. They're pirating the PC ports. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was pretty cool that a lot of indie games were able to get a second life on the Switch. It's a shame piracy is going to gently caress that up too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think it will be a major issue. It sounds like a huge hassle, you gotta put on a thing and load a bunch of poo poo from USB every single time you want to boot up in the mode where you can do that stuff. It goes completely against why you would want to play any of those games on the switch in the first place.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to buy my games legit on the Switch unless they don't give me the option

like, if you give me the option to buy an indie game, I buy it
if you give me the option to buy LttP, I buy it
if you don't, then im putting loving LttP on my switch and im playing it god drat it nintendo

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

eonwe posted:

im going to buy my games legit on the Switch unless they don't give me the option

if you don't, then im putting loving LttP on my switch and im playing it god drat it nintendo

Why would you want to play LttP when ALBW is superior in all ways.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
"Oh, you wanted me to pay for your games? Well, maybe the platform holder should have re-re-re-released a game I already have six copies of, not counting the portable GBA port I have three copies of. :smug:"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

eonwe posted:

yeah, what the gently caress, why did Nintendo make it so hard to play Link to the Past?!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

both good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah, what the gently caress, why did Nintendo make it so hard to play Link to the Past?!

those aren't the Nintendo Switch, the console i am now playing, and would like to carry around with me and play my games of choice on

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Cause you probably can't emulate ALBW on the Switch
(But if you could, hoo boy)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

There isn't ALBW Randomizer.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was pretty cool that a lot of indie games were able to get a second life on the Switch. It's a shame piracy is going to gently caress that up too.

Do you mean like how the 3DS was killed off by its massive homebrew scene, causing Nintendo to prematurely stop making games for it?

You should try reading your posts out loud sometimes, this is like the fifth time you've complained about the Big Bad Hackers. We get it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

Do you mean like how the 3DS was killed off by its massive homebrew scene, causing Nintendo to prematurely stop making games for it?

You should try reading your posts out loud sometimes

3DS piracy was way harder to do than it seems like Switch piracy will be. Plus the specific thing I'm talking about, Indie ports, is different. Looking at the way people in this thread justify their piracy, I assume a lot of them will also be like, "I already bought a copy of *3 year old indie game*, why should I have to pay for it again to play it on the Switch when I can just 'homebrew' it?" which will negatively effect the sales of Indie ports in the future. Which is a shame.

You should try not being how you are

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Guy Goodbody posted:

3DS piracy was way harder to do than it seems like Switch piracy will be. Plus the specific thing I'm talking about, Indie ports, is different. Looking at the way people in this thread justify their piracy, I assume a lot of them will also be like, "I already bought a copy of *3 year old indie game*, why should I have to pay for it again to play it on the Switch when I can just 'homebrew' it?" which will negatively effect the sales of Indie ports in the future. Which is a shame.

Oh gently caress, I didn't think about that. Yeah, there's going to be a poo poo ton of "I bought this for 99 cents on Steam. They already got my money."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Kins posted:

"Oh, you wanted me to pay for your games? Well, maybe the platform holder should have re-re-re-released a game I already have six copies of, not counting the portable GBA port I have three copies of. :smug:"

this seems reasonable imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i just want yoshi's island and viewtiful joe on switch! i already bought them in 1976 so its cool

pirates do what nintendon't

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Jusging by how anti-piracy people are lately for some reason I doubt its going to be an issue. Personally a better UI and emulation potential would be dope

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guy Goodbody posted:

3DS piracy was way harder to do than it seems like Switch piracy will be.

Nah, Browserhax and the later stuff was really, really easy, as was Freeshop.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you can pirate a brand new release game with 0 impunity, you can bet your arse most people will do so regardless of what moral high ground they choose to put forward on the internet.

Emulators are to be expected, but what everyone really wants to ask is if they can pirate Switch games with this hack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Infinitum posted:

If you can pirate a brand new release game with 0 impunity, you can bet your arse most people will do so regardless of what moral high ground they choose to put forward on the internet.

Emulators are to be expected, but what everyone really wants to ask is if they can pirate Switch games with this hack.

No most people won't. Most people won't ever even bother or even be aware of it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm just worried about cheating. People have datamined the hell out of Splatoon 2 at this point and the word is that it literally has zero anti-cheat protection built into it lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

No most people won't. Most people won't ever even bother or even be aware of it.

Rephrase: most people who are aware that a paperclip is all you need for free games :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My only real question is what Nintendo's response is going to be. They could detect if people are going online with cracked Switches, but what do they do then? Do they ban them outright? If they did that, they could turn someone who is just running emulator software into somebody who's now pirating new first party games because they can't buy them legit anymore. Do they tolerate it? That person could already be pirating first party games and could also be cheating online, driving people away from the online service.

I would assume at the very least they're going to do a hardware recall and revision.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Infinitum posted:

Rephrase: most people who are aware that a paperclip is all you need for free games :v:

It's not though. Aside from the paper clip you have to do a whole bunch of work installing poo poo and getting the files you want and following step by step instructions, and on top of that you gotta do it every time you boot. It's a huge hassle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a rumored revision that will fix this which I assume will swiftly replace existing switches.

A recall makes no sense and wont happen

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

My only real question is what Nintendo's response is going to be. They could detect if people are going online with cracked Switches, but what do they do then? Do they ban them outright? If they did that, they could turn someone who is just running emulator software into somebody who's now pirating new first party games because they can't buy them legit anymore. Do they tolerate it? That person could already be pirating first party games and could also be cheating online, driving people away from the online service.

I would assume at the very least they're going to do a hardware recall and revision.

Nintendo would never block you from purchasing games, they'd just kill your online multiplayer access (Like they did with the 3DS if you were detected)

Theoretically the possibility of being deteched by Nintendo if you use a Switch bootloader/homebrew/pirate will be quite low.. that's just me talking out of my arse tho :v:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Barudak posted:

There is a rumored revision that will fix this which I assume will swiftly replace existing switches.

A recall makes no sense and wont happen

Nintendo can recall my Switch if they give me free stuff.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

nopantsjack posted:

i just want yoshi's island and viewtiful joe on switch! i already bought them in 1976 so its cool

pirates do what nintendon't

I know its not your point but yeah re-release Viewtiful Joe.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's not though. Aside from the paper clip you have to do a whole bunch of work installing poo poo and getting the files you want and following step by step instructions, and on top of that you gotta do it every time you boot. It's a huge hassle.

At the moment sure. Just like it was a pain in the arse to do anything on the 3DS for ages. Now it's super simple

But give it time and they'll probably simplify the process, get a homebrew app into the main Switch menu to circumvent the need for dual booting, allow custom app creation for emulators, etc, etc.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

A chipset revision is already in the works, as revealed by Firmware 5.0 datamining. No word on what it'll actually involve, but "cheaper to manufacture" and "not openly displaying its balls to the world" are likely on the menu.

They will likely try and ban accounts and console IDs from online play. Operative word being try. We all know what Nintendo's history with online services is like by this point.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Infinitum posted:

Nintendo would never block you from purchasing games, they'd just kill your online multiplayer access (Like they did with the 3DS if you were detected)

There is at least one version of the 3DS ban that blocks eShop access as well. I think it's the one that hit people who played Pokemon Sun/Moon online before the release date.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

My post was def more cranky than it was funky, but I still think the fears are a bit overblown. Nintendo is literally printing money from this thing and devs are scrambling to port something, anything, to get in on the feast. No need to get into gloom n doom territory for Indies til we see some actual damage

I think a lot less people pirate than you might think. Consumers are going to continue spending hand over fist on anything Nintendo switch for a while

I'm personally a massive homebrew nerd who also has ongoing subscriptions to Netflix, HBO, Spotify, etc and have probably spent over $1k on various Nintendo eshops within the last year or so. I'm just one person sure, but most people are not into nerdy poo poo like homebrew and those who are aren't necessarily sticking to piracy for most of their content consumption

Anyways I've yet to see piracy cause the kind of harm many gamers proclaim, and in fact have only seen it objectively improve an experience (emulators) or allow for completely unique creations like project M.

The worst of it is probably increased hacking in multiplayer games but the moneyed interests will survive this one

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's going to be terrible when piracy kills the Switch just like it killed DS, 3DS, Wii and PC gaming

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It does kill them in developing countries though. I remember the ps2/gamecube generation got pirated to all hell but nowadays losing multiplayer is a big deterrent for people who would otherwise pirate (broke teenagers). Sadly, the Switch has two games with good multiplayer on them... so, I don't know.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 2, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wasn't there at least one PSP game that injected a multi-minute rant about piracy into the English version script, with a "do you understand" prompt that defaulted to no and forced you to sit through it again? I swear I heard something about that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The SNES Classic is trivially easy to put games on with helpful apps already designed with decent UI"s, but even that is kind of a hassle I wouldn't recommend to a layperson, and if you look through threads about it on other forums, they are full of people doing it wrong, getting errors, and asking for help.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

gmq posted:

It does kill them in developing countries though. I remember the ps2/gamecube generation got pirated to all hell but nowadays losing multiplayer it's a big deterrent for people who would pirate (broke teenagers). Sadly, the Switch has two games with good multiplayer on them... so, I don't know.

Yeah but most of those pirates literally don't have money to give to these companies in the first place so I'm not really sure how much they actually "lose" here

They undoubtedly lose out on some sales I'm sure but companies will always hyperinflate these figures

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

i wont

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're overestimating the reach of console piracy, the vast majority of Switch owners won't even know, care or think to try. It'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I stopped pirating games and music when I got a job. The other main issue was ease of access/purchase. Now that I can digitally download anything I want, it's easier than pirating.

• Locked thread