Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

UC is one of those ideas which is theoretically great, but the implementation and surrounding issues have made it totally toxic. Its a bit like the Poll Tax in that respect, idea is not that terrible at its core, its the implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Poll tax is absolutely terrible at its core though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Poll tax is absolutely terrible at its core though.

It was far better than the system it was replacing. Granted that's not saying much.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 26, 2018

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Aramoro posted:

UC is one of those ideas which is theoretically great, but the implementation and surrounding issues have made it totally toxic. Its a bit like the Poll Tax in that respect, idea is not that terrible at its core, its the implementation.

UC was conceived and intended to be a punitive measure against the poor and a way to attack untouchable protected benefits like disability, it was not in any way a good idea, or better than the previous system

the fact they borrowed the branding of a good idea doesn't make it a good idea, much like the tory living wage is not actually a living wage by any understood meaning of the term

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spangly A posted:

UC was conceived and intended to be a punitive measure against the poor and a way to attack untouchable protected benefits like disability, it was not in any way a good idea, or better than the previous system

the fact they borrowed the branding of a good idea doesn't make it a good idea, much like the tory living wage is not actually a living wage by any understood meaning of the term

A less confusing a simplified benefits system where people just get a unified payment instead of having to make 6 different claims for the same thing. The implementation is punitive and intended to force people out of the system whether they are able to or not. The previous system was incredibly bad, the lack of joined up resources making it hard for people to access all the benefits they were entitled to. Unifying the 6 major benefits into one is a good idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is anyone here affected by the introduction today of minimum alcohol pricing?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I spoke to someone who said a bottle of Frosty Jack was over £10 so I guess under age drinkers are impacted the most.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I spoke to someone who said a bottle of Frosty Jack was over £10 so I guess under age drinkers are impacted the most.

As expected respectable middle class alcoholics are unaffected, just the undesirables who will be hit by this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Independent had an article and it's actually even more for Frosty Jack, over £11! So guess that'll stop being sold in Scotland which is hard to see as a loss.

"Frosty Jack, previous price £3.69 for 3L, 22.5 UK Units – new minimum price £11.25"

Strongbow has gone up a bit, Glen's vodka is about 50p more per 70cl bottle. And whisky is already so extortionate to not be impacted.

Sucks for people who drink own brand booze and problem drinkers will probably just drink as much and buy less food or whatever. I'm not sure how much impact this will have, but I also don't think it's a bad thing to try change our hosed up drinking culture.

The best part though is clearly that a lot of the panic around bevvy in Scotland is around Buckfast and it's unchanged after this.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 1, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It just means our alkies will be doing bottle of vodka instead of frosties. Chronic alcoholics won't stop drinking because it costs more now. Will it stop people becoming alkies now? Not so sure, maybe just more hipster alkies now that a can of super costs more than a bottle of craft beer.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Aramoro posted:

It just means our alkies will be doing bottle of vodka instead of frosties. Chronic alcoholics won't stop drinking because it costs more now. Will it stop people becoming alkies now? Not so sure, maybe just more hipster alkies now that a can of super costs more than a bottle of craft beer.

there's quite a lot of medical research saying 'yes' though

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cerv posted:

there's quite a lot of medical research saying 'yes' though

The last BMJ article I saw on it said 'probably', that was study based on 33 other studies into the topic. The first country to implement it in Europe was Russia but they've put down the reduction in drinking down to change in demographics rather than directly tied to minimum pricing. Whilst deaths from drinking moonshine/sanitizers have risen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The last BMJ article I saw on it said 'probably', that was study based on 33 other studies into the topic. The first country to implement it in Europe was Russia but they've put down the reduction in drinking down to change in demographics rather than directly tied to minimum pricing. Whilst deaths from drinking moonshine/sanitizers have risen.

I thought we were the first country in the world to introduce this?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I thought we were the first country in the world to introduce this?

Canada (In from provinces), Russia, Belerus, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova and Ukraine all have minimum pricing. I think we're the first to have minimum pricing per unit, rather than a flat minimum price. In Ukraine a half bottle of vodka is a minimum of UAH 69.78, but that's not based on units that just the price of it. Same for Russia the floor price for a half bottle of vodka is 215 roubles etc. So it's pricing per litre.

Kyrgyzstan's seems to be variable based on their CPI so that alcohol always costs the same relative to the wealth in the country, but only applies to locally made drinks or something.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 2, 2018

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aha. Interesting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Have people started doing booze runs to Berwick-upon-Tweed yet?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Gan till Berwick, ring the polis on Theresa May, gan home on the coach.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

Have people started doing booze runs to Berwick-upon-Tweed yet?

you joke but they relatively recently renovated the spar in longtown to have a loving massive booze section - like, a whole room separate room that's bigger then the room full of convenience store. someone was planning ahead.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
The Sun has discovered the concept of "fire" god help us all.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Finnish people have been tweeting reassurances and no one knows how to explain to them why a paper would take a blowtorch to a baby box for lovely political purposes. It's embarrassing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Finnish people have been tweeting reassurances and no one knows how to explain to them why a paper would take a blowtorch to a baby box for lovely political purposes. It's embarrassing.

It’s interesting that you’ve used the word ‘blowtorch’ as I’ve seen this used by a number of nationalists about this article when he clearly uses a lighter. Was this how it was described in Wings Over Scotland and you’ve forgotten to form your own opinion?

I’m not sure why the flammability of a box that people are being encouraged to let their babies sleep in is a trivial matter it seems quite important.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"We set this thing on fire and it burned! It's dangerous!" Welp, guess you'd better not have dangerous copies of the Sun around the house because I'd wager they're more flammable than cardboard.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Scottish government isn’t advising parents use newspapers as bedding though.

I’m really not sure what connection isn’t being made in your brain that allows you to understand that flammability and babies is not a good combination.

If some company was giving away cot mattresses and it turned out they went up in flames within seconds of being exposed to a lighter I think there would be an understandable reaction.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 5, 2018

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

The Scottish government isn’t advising parents use newspapers as bedding though.

I’m really not sure what connection isn’t being made in your brain that allows you to understand that flammability and babies is not a good combination.

If some company was giving away cot mattresses and it turned out they went up in flames within seconds of being exposed to a lighter I think there would be an understandable reaction.

well quite a serious reaction. there are fire resistance regulations for domestic furniture going back to the 80s.
the reason that if you drop a lit cigarette on your bed it won't go up with you in it any more.

if these free cot -boxes are exempt from that it's a unfortunate loophole

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I hold the (controversial, I admit) opinion that toddlers should not smoke in bed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cat Mattress posted:

I hold the (controversial, I admit) opinion that toddlers should not smoke in bed.

I hold the equally controversial opinion that people shouldn’t smoke around babies but it happens.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
how do babies manage not to burn to death in finland? i have met finnish people before so I know a few of them must survive it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it is sort of numbing in a surreal way to wander in and finding someone defending flammable cribs. maybe that's something that the consumer was willing to accept during the postwar period in finland but the modern, discerning mother tends to prefer their childcare equipment flame resistant at minimum.

couldn't they have sprayed the loving cardboard or something? almost like dictating policy on "things that are popular in the magazine section of bbc news" is maybe not a fantastic idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

how do babies manage not to burn to death in finland? i have met finnish people before so I know a few of them must survive it.

People are over twice as likely to die in house fires in Finland compared to the UK so it seems not all of them do manage.

CoolCab posted:

it is sort of numbing in a surreal way to wander in and finding someone defending flammable cribs. maybe that's something that the consumer was willing to accept during the postwar period in finland but the modern, discerning mother tends to prefer their childcare equipment flame resistant at minimum.

couldn't they have sprayed the loving cardboard or something? almost like dictating policy on "things that are popular in the magazine section of bbc news" is maybe not a fantastic idea.

That's nationalism for you.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CoolCab posted:

laminated the cardboard yes. or used an entirely different material like a suitable plastic. (putting aside fire safety, how long are these things supposed to last against baby drool, piss, etc?)
if it turns out that the plain cardboard option was chosen as a money saver, that's got to torpedo the scheme in it's current form. either needs a proper cot or to stop promoting the box as anything other than packaging for delivery.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Fuckin state of youse, inventing flammable Finnish babies just to have a go at Scottish independence.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Fuckin state of youse, inventing flammable Finnish babies just to have a go at Scottish independence.

It’s not the babies that are flammable it’s the cardboard box.

This is like Father Ted teaching perspective and distance.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So how long before you're thread banned from this thread as well?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

So how long before you're thread banned from this thread as well?

Not sure if you're talking about Pissflaps or Coolihoon, both are a good idea.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If flaps gets banned from another UK thread I'm starting welshpol and ulsterpol for him to poo poo up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flaps never really does anything worthy of being banned he just upsets thr Nats back slapping contest they have in here. Like his point is good, as they stand baby boxes would be illegal to sell as something for a baby to sleep in. Thier masterful retort is 'ban pissflaps'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Babies being on fire is good, it builds character.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
clearly the epidemic of finnish babies set on fire by their boxes has been cleverly hidden by the conspiratorial SNP and we should all vote for richard leonard because the sun did their version of "we went and lied about being poor and look at all this free poo poo we got"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Agreed. It’s health and safety gone mad. Seatbelts and crash helmets are also unnecessary.

Aramoro posted:

Flaps never really does anything worthy of being banned he just upsets thr Nats back slapping contest they have in here. Like his point is good, as they stand baby boxes would be illegal to sell as something for a baby to sleep in. Thier masterful retort is 'ban pissflaps'

This line of thought isn’t restricted to Scottish nationalists or this thread unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Here’s an idea: instead of giving inadequate cribs and freebies to everyone why not give safe alternatives just to the people that can’t afford one for themselves?