Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Lotta chat in this thread about how sellers are dicks for not taking up slack that buyers could have taken up themselves.

If you're looking to close on some date and you are also thinking that you're moving all your poo poo into your nice shiny new home on that date and so you've terminated leases, no longer have an apartment, and only have a moving van and your shiny poo poo, you've left yourself no recourse if anything goes wrong. That's your decision as a buyer.

Yeah you can save money on not renting one place while buying a second home, but you are also the one deciding to engage with the risk of being literally homeless, and so you, not the seller, are the person who has to eat it when things go other than according to plan.

I think it can be tricky, like friends of mine had to close on the home they sold and the home they bought on the same day and the mortgages couldn't overlap or some poo poo. Or if you're relocating to another city and don't have a backup place to sleep the night. But if you're coming from an apartment, by all means overlap your lease termination and your home closing. Otherwise it's no better than canceling your internet the same day your new service is being turned on and being surprised when Comcast misses an appointment or fucks up an install.

Also people can be dicks buying and selling homes and you need to assume no one has your best interests at heart. When the sellers on a home my sister was buying got cold feet they decided to refuse basement entry for the home inspector and make vague comments about radon. She backed out and they immediately sold the house for like 10% more.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

axeil posted:

A GWM tip: always leave a week or so on your old lease/owned home in case anything gets screwed up with the move.

That's going to be tough if you need the money from the sale of your current home to purchase your new home.

Content https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8gbfw9/parents_lied_about_paying_my_student_loans/

quote:

Hi reddit, I am trying to take complete control of my finances for the first time in my adult life but I just checked my credit score and it's poor because all through college my parents urged me not to worry about paying for school they would "take care of it" and did not do so. I owe a big debt that hasn't had a payment made on it in years. What should I do and where could I go from here. I know it seems absurd an adult is just checking on this stuff for the first time but my family purposefully never taught me how to be on my own so I could never leave them. We have a complicated relationship. How can I bring my credit score back up? Also, noticed I have a small old doctors bill I forgot... should I just pay that right now? Thanks in advance!

How come I've seen this a bunch of times where the parents purposefully sabotage their kids finances?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

How come I've seen this a bunch of times where the parents purposefully sabotage their kids finances?

People are terrible?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think it can be tricky, like friends of mine had to close on the home they sold and the home they bought on the same day and the mortgages couldn't overlap or some poo poo. Or if you're relocating to another city and don't have a backup place to sleep the night.

Buying a home while selling an existing home is, of course, a very common situation - not everyone is coming from renting - and there are many reasonable and thought out processes for sales contingent on another sale closing. And as Dwight pointed out last page, it's the responsibility of the buyer to make sure their living arrangements during the closing period/move are handled correctly. I've done two cross country house buying moves as an adult (not counting when I was in the military) and they both involved a short stay in a hotel and some extra storage fees. If you are buying a new house and can't afford that relatively minor expense, or if you can but you just whiff planning for it, you probably shouldn't be buying a house.

In any case it isn't on the seller to accommodate the buyers transition from old place to new. Maybe it seems like a hard world, but get your good nature taken advantage of just once and you'll see why.

I feel like there is a lot more to this story than just "my parents said they had it covered than dumped it in my lap and I found out years later".

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

There's a tv in the locker room of the gym in my office building where I go to work out that's always running one of the bigger news networks. To be honest I don't pay attention to which. Most of the time when I'm in there it's running sports content, but occasionally (like this morning) they were going through their finance section. After that, this commercial ran:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkI9rdf-HFc

"Five Pitfalls of Mutual Funds." And I laughed, and I laughed, and I googled this guy. BWM is any person who has given him money, apparently:

Chances Are You're Outperforming These 3 Well-Known Money Managers

quote:

Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher is the CEO and CIO of Fisher Investments, which oversees more than $60 billion in assets. He's a renowned author and a noted contrarian who has called numerous market reversals, and he firmly believes in his "Fisher strategy" of identifying information that isn't widely known or understood and using that to his firms' advantage.

How has that worked out for investors? Judging by the performance of Fisher Investments' Purisima Total Return Fund through April 2016, not so good: The mutual fund wound up losing to the S&P 500 by 21% over a three-year period, 52% over a five-year period, 54% over a 10-year period, and 17% over a cumulative 15-year period. Granted, the Purisima fund only represented a small fraction of Fisher Investments' assets under management in April 2016, but it seems that Fisher's contrarian style appears to be hurting, rather than helping, his mutual fund investors over the long run. At the end of June 2016, Fisher wound up pulling the plug on on the Purisima family of funds.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of my friends is a medical technician in a hospital and started making extremely good money with overtime + night shift differentials.

The first thing he did was go out and buy a ~$42,000 Ford F-250 to commute down the highway to the hospital.

It has a 48 gallon gas tank. If his tank is at least 2/3 empty, then he has to go to multiple gas stations to fill it up because of the $75 dollar limit on credit cards at gas pumps.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of my friends is a medical technician in a hospital and started making extremely good money with overtime + night shift differentials.

The first thing he did was go out and buy a ~$42,000 Ford F-250 to commute down the highway to the hospital.

It has a 48 gallon gas tank. If his tank is at least 2/3 empty, then he has to go to multiple gas stations to fill it up because of the $75 dollar limit on credit cards at gas pumps.

I'm shocked that the $75 limit at pumps is still a thing, is this at tiny mom + pop gas stations? I thought that was a relic from the past. Tons of vehicles cost more than $75 to fill now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm shocked that the $75 limit at pumps is still a thing, is this at tiny mom + pop gas stations? I thought that was a relic from the past. Tons of vehicles cost more than $75 to fill now.

Shell, Exxon, Valero, and local stations all do it.

The only one I can think of that might not do it is BP.

Some of them "compromise" by having a $125 or $150 limit if you use a Visa and $75 for all other payment networks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some of them "compromise" by having a $125 or $150 limit if you use a Visa and $75 for all other payment networks.

This must be the behavior that I've been seeing. Thanks for the info!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can always go inside the store and buy as much as you want. Going to multiple gas stations like that is Bad With Time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

You can always go inside the store and buy as much as you want. Going to multiple gas stations like that is Bad With Time.

When I've run into this I've just pulled out another card and continued along........

It's not rocket science.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Motronic posted:

When I've run into this I've just pulled out another card and continued along........

It's not rocket science.

Could you really not just finish that transaction and start a new one at the same pump? Or worst case just go to the next pump?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hoodwinker posted:

There's a tv in the locker room of the gym in my office building where I go to work out that's always running one of the bigger news networks. To be honest I don't pay attention to which. Most of the time when I'm in there it's running sports content, but occasionally (like this morning) they were going through their finance section. After that, this commercial ran:

"Five Pitfalls of Mutual Funds." And I laughed, and I laughed, and I googled this guy. BWM is any person who has given him money, apparently:

Hey, I mean, the pitfalls he listed are true!

There's a lot of lovely funds out there with extraordinary fees!
Tax efficiency is a thing some people need to think about!
And uhh, I guess over-diversification could be a thing because it could throw your total portfolio balance out of whack and make you ineligible for Admiral shares or something if you're going really crazy.

It just so happens that his solution is just as bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elysium posted:

Could you really not just finish that transaction and start a new one at the same pump? Or worst case just go to the next pump?

Depends on the card. Lots of issuers will flag that and decline the second transaction from the same place in a very short time period. After that happened a couple times I just decided it was easier to rotate cards.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
When we bought our house, there were 11 mortgages on it (Iceland pre 2008 was stupid silly about handing out loans without collateral). The owners agreed to our price, but the realtor had to spend weeks negotiating the 11 mortgage holders down to that price so they could all get paid and old owners could walk away debt free. All of this was too much for the realtor to get done in the allotted time, so we had to meet him and the current owners and sign a paper that said we could move into the house, but if a deal couldn't be made with those mortgage holders, we'd have to move back out.

Luckily it all worked out, but we lived in our house for 2 weeks thinking we might get a call any day announcing his failure and us needing to move out. The day we got the call that he'd closed on the last one was such a huge sigh of relief.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

friends of mine had to close on the home they sold and the home they bought on the same day and the mortgages couldn't overlap

No, they didn't have to close on the home they sold and the home they bought on the same day. They could have:

a) delayed closing on the sale to give themselves breathing room
b) made the purchase close earlier
c) rented a storage locker and a hotel to cover the interval where they were in house limbo

They CHOSE to close on the home they sold and the home they bought on the same day.

That's going to be tough if you need the money from the sale of your current home to purchase your new home.

If you need the money from the sale of your current home to purchase your new home you maybe can't afford your new home, or should obtain a bridge loan, or should refinance your existing home to get the liquidity out of it.

I mean I know this reeks of blame the victim, but buying a home is something a vast amount of people can't afford to do and that noone will force you to do so it's really not a blame the victim scenario, and if you have some financial literacy and an ability to plan thoughtfully the nightmare stories are totally avoidable and almost entirely self inflicted by the buyers. Often times those self inflicted miseries are out of a misguided attempt to be cheap.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Those are less preferable options in an era of relatively cheap financing.

Refinancing to take cash out of a property you intend on selling in very short order seems bad for a variety of reasons, bridge financing is not likely to allow for many more people to buy a home than contingent would, and is likely going to come at higher interest rates.

Contingent sales, while tricky, are not uncommon at all. There are also likely plenty of people out there who go same day close and are called "contingent", just because it is easy enough to sign all your paperwork the same day.

Sure plenty of people out there make poor decisions in an effort to save a buck, but it is just as likely it is something where people don't involve themselves in enough real estate transactions over a life time to ever actually get savvy at it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Hoodwinker posted:

My wife saw that ad, turned to me and said “no way I’m trusting that guy”

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

gtkor posted:

Refinancing to take cash out of a property you intend on selling in very short order seems bad for a variety of reasons, bridge financing is not likely to allow for many more people to buy a home than contingent would, and is likely going to come at higher interest rates.

Contingent sales, while tricky, are not uncommon at all. There are also likely plenty of people out there who go same day close and are called "contingent", just because it is easy enough to sign all your paperwork the same day.

Sure plenty of people out there make poor decisions in an effort to save a buck, but it is just as likely it is something where people don't involve themselves in enough real estate transactions over a life time to ever actually get savvy at it.

I'm not saying that if everything goes smoothly there aren't preferable options.

I'm saying that people who have nightmare move stories are making foolish, brittle decisions. What other decisions might be classified as foolish and brittle in this, the Bad With Money thread?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Just chiming in to thank everyone for this thread. I'm not that great with money but when I read these stories I realize I'm waaaaaay above bottom.

To make a contribution: my mother-in-law insisted that her bank website "required" her to install the paid version of Adobe Acrobat in order to download her statements. Thank goodness she mentioned this in passing and I was able to cancel it, or she would have been on the hook each month for something she completely didn't need.

She's gotten better over time. I've at least trained her to ask me before she signs on with telemarketers. She spent an hour on the phone with a student loan scammer before saying, "Oh wait, I'm supposed to check with my son-in-law on these sorts of things. Hey Macaroni, my student loan company says they can cut my payments way down! Can you talk to them?"

"Hi there phone person, this is Macaroni. What student loan company did you say you were with again? [click] Huh, imagine that."

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

gtkor posted:

Contingent sales are quite common particularly where the contingency is the buyer needs to sell their current house first (in order to meet the down payment or other financing terms).

However that is a completely separate thing from letting buyers under contract move in before close. Normally, the deal closes when the contingency is satisfied. Contingent sales are meant to allow the seller to accept a buyer's bid and go under contract with all facts understood, and normally require an escrow payment that is non-refundable if the deal falls through. I made $5k off this very scenario once from escrow (and luckily found another buyer a few days later).

These short term rental agreements which get attached to contigency sales - which do happen - exist because buyers figure, well, why not rent short term where we are going to live, and then we can move in, etc. The agreements normally include provisions for not altering the house, repainting, etc. They are very convenient - for the buyer. GWM for them. For the seller, they are a potential nightmare and BWM:

For consideration of additional money in the form of rent (say, 1m) which is usually pegged to the existing mortgage payment and thus doesn't result in much if any net income to the seller, they take on the risk that the close may fall through, and now they have short-term tenants fully moved in to what is still the sellers house. And if a close falls through in this scenario, odds are these aren't going to be good tenants. Hence a seller agreeing to this in any form, even just a day, is pretty BWM.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

No, they didn't have to close on the home they sold and the home they bought on the same day. They could have:

a) delayed closing on the sale to give themselves breathing room
b) made the purchase close earlier
c) rented a storage locker and a hotel to cover the interval where they were in house limbo

They CHOSE to close on the home they sold and the home they bought on the same day.

If you need the money from the sale of your current home to purchase your new home you maybe can't afford your new home, or should obtain a bridge loan, or should refinance your existing home to get the liquidity out of it.

I mean I know this reeks of blame the victim, but buying a home is something a vast amount of people can't afford to do and that noone will force you to do so it's really not a blame the victim scenario, and if you have some financial literacy and an ability to plan thoughtfully the nightmare stories are totally avoidable and almost entirely self inflicted by the buyers. Often times those self inflicted miseries are out of a misguided attempt to be cheap.

I had to double check and make sure John Smith was still on ignore.

There are other factors you know. In this case the buyers pushed up their closing date and they were trying to make everything work. Maybe they should have just hollered 'BOOTSTRAPS' and rode off into the sunset, but they worked with what they had.

And I'm going to go out on a limb and predict most people can't afford to buy a home while paying on another. And even good credit probably can't support two mortgages. Lenders are just as worried about loaning money while there's still another outstanding mortgage as a home seller would be of letting a prospective buyer move in early. It's all cool if everything goes well, but if the situation goes sideways there are lots of problems.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are other factors you know. In this case the buyers pushed up their closing date and they were trying to make everything work. Maybe they should have just hollered 'BOOTSTRAPS' and rode off into the sunset, but they worked with what they had.

And I'm going to go out on a limb and predict most people can't afford to buy a home while paying on another. And even good credit probably can't support two mortgages. Lenders are just as worried about loaning money while there's still another outstanding mortgage as a home seller would be of letting a prospective buyer move in early. It's all cool if everything goes well, but if the situation goes sideways there are lots of problems.

I'm no John Smith but I feel like you are still missing something. See my post above on how contingency sales normally work. People do them all the time, it isn't "the man" keeping the little fella down or some poo poo. Lots of people make them work. Buying and selling houses are processes people should take seriously, and not having a plan B for what happens if you (your friend in this case) move with all their stuff, and a sick baby, and the close gets delayed a day or two (which is very common) means not taking it seriously.

Edit: Not to go on and on about it because this isn't the house-buying thread but one common solution to solving the move-time problem with contingency sales is the buyer of the new house who is selling their existing house sets a post-close move out date on that house - a week is common - and pays the new owner rent. You might be thinking, well, how is that different going the other way? The difference is there are far more protections doing it that way because the financial risk is shifted to the people still occupying the house, rather than the other way around. The new bank/lienholder of the house, for example, will kick them out if needed (and on the drop of a dime, too) vs. doing it on the other end, whereby definition there is no new lienholder/bank if the deal falls through.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 2, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Good luck getting the seller to accept your offer around here if you load it up with contingencies. Most people don't even do inspection or financing contingencies any more. Seattle is nuts.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had to double check and make sure John Smith was still on ignore ... Maybe they should have just hollered 'BOOTSTRAPS' and rode off into the sunset, but they worked with what they had.
Class, meet the perils of creating a bubble. Not healthy, boys and girls, not healthy.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

welp i tried being civil and nice

your stupid friends are bad with money and if you think they aren't bad with money, you are a bad with money too

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

welp i tried being civil and nice

your stupid friends are bad with money and if you think they aren't bad with money, you are a bad with money too
I'm with Mr. President on this one: if you're involved in a several hundred thousand dollar business deal and you don't lock down all of that poo poo with at least basic contingency plans - even just making sure you have a hotel ready in case you need somewhere to stay - that is straight dumb. Ostensibly all parties involved are responsible adults and they should be able to handle themselves like one.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
If you can't afford setting up contingencies then you can't afford to buy a home. Affording a home is about more than just being able to make mortgage payments.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. I specifically said you shouldn't cancel one thing before the other with my brilliant Comcast analogy and that no one in the home buying/selling process has your best interests at heart so watch your rear end.

But also buying houses can be messy. It's not always going to go the way you want and there's always going to be risk. At no point did anyone I know risk homelessness had paperwork not processed on time, but they definitely had to close on one home before the bank finalized their funding for the next.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Wait wait, so...financial illiteracy...bad? :thunk:

e. This thread's premise is schadenfreude/smug superiority at the expense of those who make poor financial decisions, most of which could have been avoided. I'm sure it extends to houses as much as it does to 36% APR 96 month horse mortgages, but there's only so much victim blaming you can do when we're all the products of our idiot environments.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 2, 2018

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Guest2553 posted:

Wait wait, so...financial illiteracy...bad? :thunk:

e. This thread's premise is schadenfreude/smug superiority at the expense of those who make poor financial decisions, most of which could have been avoided. I'm sure it extends to houses as much as it does to 36% APR 96 month horse mortgages, but there's only so much victim blaming you can do when we're all the products of our idiot environments.

The latest discussion started with the post about the friend who had to spend the night at the posters house, sick baby in hand, and had use their garage because they showed up with the moving van on the day of closing and due to paperwork it was delayed until the following day. In the absence of the poster's favor (and no one is saying there was anything wrong with that) said friend would have been up a creek sans paddle, etc.

The poster opined that the sellers of the house were being dicks by not letting the friend at least store stuff in the garage, at which point several of us pointed out that it was the friend being dumb, and also BWM, by not having a simple contingency plan in place.

From that point discussion veered widely around the topic but that isn't anything new here. Just like closings getting delayed at the last minute is nothing new either. Hence the point.

As for it being a fitting thread topic, we're all just trying to get back to the original point the poster isn't grasping, not beating a dead horse....yet.

gently caress I just said horse!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/8gi6l0/moviepass_goes_back_to_offering_movieaday_monthly/dyc989s/

quote:

About three weeks ago a friend and I were talking about how great Movie Pass was doing, and how they must have a master plan. After about 17 beers we got overly excited and decided the next morning we would buy a bunch of stock. So we followed through, at noon that variety story came out. Instantly lost half of our money. Literally within two hours of buying the stock. If only I had slept in that day.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

MisterOblivious posted:

Oh, hey, while we're still sorta on the topic of "guys hauling not-street-legal-cars to the racetrack," how about this goon?

spoiler alert:
Goon Some Random rear end in a top hat just loving won at Talladega.

This one has looped back around to become a bit more BWM:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/23383493/nascar-issues-indefinite-suspension-spencer-gallagher-failed-drug-test

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

If your dad is CEO of the company that sponsoring your car I'm not sure how much it matters

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

Ixian posted:

I'm no John Smith but I feel like you are still missing something. See my post above on how contingency sales normally work. People do them all the time, it isn't "the man" keeping the little fella down or some poo poo. Lots of people make them work. Buying and selling houses are processes people should take seriously, and not having a plan B for what happens if you (your friend in this case) move with all their stuff, and a sick baby, and the close gets delayed a day or two (which is very common) means not taking it seriously.

Edit: Not to go on and on about it because this isn't the house-buying thread but one common solution to solving the move-time problem with contingency sales is the buyer of the new house who is selling their existing house sets a post-close move out date on that house - a week is common - and pays the new owner rent. You might be thinking, well, how is that different going the other way? The difference is there are far more protections doing it that way because the financial risk is shifted to the people still occupying the house, rather than the other way around. The new bank/lienholder of the house, for example, will kick them out if needed (and on the drop of a dime, too) vs. doing it on the other end, whereby definition there is no new lienholder/bank if the deal falls through.

This exactly. Best scenario ever for anyone buying a house in some weird sales situation.

The people we were buying from needed the equity from the house to put the down on their new house so they wanted some kind of 10 day rent back which I was fine with. However our realtor (about the only thing the realtor was useful for) structured it so that they paid us up front for a 30 day rent back and we would prorate back to them based on the amount of days they stayed. She said these things always take longer than expected and we would end up getting screwed over an extra 5-10 days.

Gave them some incentive to gtfo and also protected us and allowed us to time out apt notice better. I think they ended up staying 17 days, partially partly because they didn't have to rush out, but just made it easy for everyone.

Also I trust a seller who is trying to move out to get out much more than a buyer who is trying to move in with no other option.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It came from r/relationships:

Gf's [26F] new job brings in 0 income, but leaves her too tired for her regular chores/responsibilities. What to do?

quote:

We've been together for a little over 3 years and we've been living together for 8 mths.

So gf has started her own small business selling makeup supplies. The starting costs have been extremely high (buying inventory) and she isn't that great with sales, to be honest. She needs to buy new inventory every few months, and right now she is losing far more money than she's earning. The issue is she's part of a small community of similar women who sell the same stuff and encourage her to stick with it, so she says she loves doing this and won't quit anytime soon.

My issue: before this job, gf worked part-time in the mornings as a neighborhood dog-walker. She made a small, but decent amount of money for herself and we agreed that I would pay for rent, food, utilities, etc. if she is willing to do household chores (laundry, cooking, and cleaning once a week). It worked well for us because she didn't have to worry about bills (before she moved in with me she lived with her abusive parents) and I would come home to home cooked meals and a clean house.

However, now that she's working this "job," she is exhausted every day and has 0 time for any of her previous responsibilities. I've tried being supportive but it's been months and she has yet to bring in a single dollar. We've had fights over this because I told her if she doesn't bring in any profit soon, I don't understand why she would stay with it. She accused me of being unsupportive and that her job is just as legitimate as mine, but since it's a small business she needs more time before she can make any money.

I'm frustrated because now I feel like I'm doing my fair share and then a whole lot more. I have to do the cooking every night now because she has sales meetings nearly every evening with her online community group. There's no cleaning either, so I've had to hire cleaners which I pay for. When I ask if she can contribute, she says she's too busy and that when she has the time she will (she doesn't).

What can I do at this point? She's been losing a couple hundred dollars every month (I'm basically her accountant) and it's not getting any better. When I show her the numbers she ignores me. She's also not incredibly well-informed financially so she gets things like sales v. profits mixed up (she claims she's earning money but she's just counting sales without her costs taken out, so she's actually losing money). I don't know what to do and I'm getting resentful for feeling like I'm funding her hobby, not a job, but she's acting like her job is just as important/tiring as mine. What should I do?

tldr Gf's new job is costing her more than she's earning. However, our previous split of responsibilities (I pay for bills/rent, she cleans/cooks) is nonexistent now and I do everything. I'm getting frustrated and she accuses me of being unsupportive. What can I do?

quote:

[–]LowElephant [S] 492 points 13 days ago

I wasn't aware of the connection to multi-level marketing schemes. I asked her in the beginning if it was a pyramid scheme (because she buys her inventory from another woman, not directly from the company, which I've never heard of) and she said no because it's sales focused, not on recruiting people below you.

I haven't done much research on the products she's selling but I assumed it was something like those sales events you do when you're a little kid making money for your school, so I didn't worry too much about the fact that she's spending so much just on inventory.

[–]manfromanother-place 829 points 13 days ago

Yep, this is 100% a pyramid scheme. Do you know what the brand she’s selling is?

[–]LowElephant [S] 450 points 13 days ago

It's a company called Arbonn. I googled it a long time ago when she started and it seemed liked a normal company with legitimate products. Gf told me that most makeup companies employ this sales model nowadays of using freelance saleswomen and I guess I just took it as fact because what do I know about makeup?

[–]Siren_of_Madness 758 points 13 days ago

I just googled them. They are DEFINITELY a mlm and are currently facing at least one lawsuit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thank you for staggering this one a couple weeks so I'm not reading it in 2 threads on the same day.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

:sever:
It's not going to get better

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Massive debt spiral incoming:

(JP) Moving from US with debt, now in Japan but accumulated even more debt. Not sure what's next.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8gqw4j/jp_moving_from_us_with_debt_now_in_japan_but/

quote:

We're family of 3 (me, wife, 1.5 y/o son). I was let go of my job in US (which sponsored my H-1B) after 5 years. Since there was only 1 year left, we thought it made sense to move outside US to find a job and refresh my visa (I need to be outside US for a year).

I got a job offer in Tokyo, Japan as a software engineer. They are paying me 9 million yen annually (My old job was in Boston, $100k annually). 20% pay cut, but I was told that already was a "high rate".

And so we moved. We sold all our furnitures in US. We had to use credit card to pay for those appliances and furniture since we used those cash for security deposit. We're roughly doubling our debt.

Now, I'm looking at my cash flow, and I noticed that I made a huge, huge mistake.

Take home pay: ₯650k after all deductions
Rent: ₯245k (still in contract for 2.5 years)
Cash needing to send to US for minimum payment: ₯290k
So, roughly, we are left with about ₯100k which some of them need to go to electricity/gas/water too.

Before we moved to Japan, we were in $20k credit card debt. Now, we're in $60k debt.

And with that, here are my question:

Is it worth trying to look for a new job that'd pay me more than ₯9m annually? Is this really a high rate in Japan?
Would working remotely for US company actually be better for me in this case?
My wife is a full-time mom on dependent visa. Is there something that she could work on without breaking her visa?
I'm going back to read Money Makeover again ... and since we need to build new emergency fund, would ₯100k make sense?
Given we are planning to go back to US, does it worth to try to negotiate with CC companies about interest rate (average around 20%) or should I leave them be?
Crazy idea, but does it worth to try reaching out to banks in Japan to see if I can borrow some money to pay off debt in US (hopefully with lower interest rate)?
I know this is a long shot as my situation is in Japan, and I appreciate you reading my thread. I screwed this up very badly, and I really hope that it's not too late for me to fix it. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard to know where to start. I suppose that even I know that cost of living in Japan is sky high.