Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fun thing about D&D gods is that you can use whichever ones you actually like while ignoring the rest and making up your own, and it's pretty accurate to how real-world polytheism generally works. (Apparently it confuses western Christians a bit that people in Asia will visit a Christian church on certain occasions, then a Hindu temple or Shinto shrine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun thing about D&D gods is that you can use whichever ones you actually like while ignoring the rest and making up your own, and it's pretty accurate to how real-world polytheism generally works. (Apparently it confuses western Christians a bit that people in Asia will visit a Christian church on certain occasions, then a Hindu temple or Shinto shrine)

Counterpoint: Dragonlance Gods are horrible people, and are all in cahoots. Even the good ones and the evil ones. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bedlamdan posted:

Counterpoint: Dragonlance Gods are horrible people, and are all in cahoots. Even the good ones and the evil ones. :colbert:

Just like the real world.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Martin Snazz posted:

Yeah, seriously. Unlike Onyx Path, it would appear that they can deliver a product on a decent timetable.

Ah, yes, like...

... wait, what have they delivered, again, outside of a dodgy pair of visual novels and a licensed slot machine?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most D&D settings have people usually be Henotheistic actually. Picking up one guy in the pantheon and acknowledging the others and even revering them but not in the same level as your main guy.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Didn't the Wraith 20th PDF drop for Backers a while back, with some of the delays being "Literal last minute approvals being held up by White Wolf?"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ah, yes, like...

... wait, what have they delivered, again, outside of a dodgy pair of visual novels and a licensed slot machine?
A lot of edgy casual racism/sexism? That is kind of a thing they promised!

My favorite part of Eberron is that it is very spelled out that you can in fact worship yourself as a deity/divine entity and get cleric powers, but it's one of those "it's a secret to everyone" things. Would also make a good plot hook: a cleric of Steve, gently caress You Yes I Can, going around teaching people to be their own god and get whatever domains they think are most fun to have.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Would also make a good plot hook: a cleric of Steve, gently caress You Yes I Can, going around teaching people to be their own god and get whatever domains they think are most fun to have.

This is the Blood of Vol, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked Droaam, because the idea of a nation of "monsters" is cool. And the fact that a hobgoblin empire once stretched across the continent was neat too. I should run an SotDL game using Eberron as the setting.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Serf posted:

I liked Droaam, because the idea of a nation of "monsters" is cool. And the fact that a hobgoblin empire once stretched across the continent was neat too. I should run an SotDL game using Eberron as the setting.

Yes, yes you should.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is the Blood of Vol, though.
BoV is more about venerating the concept of the self rather than you personally being the source. I was envisioning a more "aggressively atheist cleric" type dude.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's an upcoming Deadpool limited comic series coming out soon, and its cover design may be relevant to the interests of this thread:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh god the Paranoia cover is perfect.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

The lovely fonts make their invocation of the 1984 TSR Marvel Super Heroes game cover just :kiss:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

dwarf74 posted:

The only way it could've possibly been better is if they found Jim Holloway and had him draw it.

That being said, the Paranoia cover is still really, really goddamn good as is.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

FMguru posted:

There's an upcoming Deadpool limited comic series coming out soon, and its cover design may be relevant to the interests of this thread:

Keep in mind these are variants if anyone wants to get hard copies

In case anyone is wondering this one is a reference to Diceman, a gamebook spinoff from the UK comics magazine 2000AD

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

Keep in mind these are variants if anyone wants to get hard copies

In case anyone is wondering this one is a reference to Diceman, a gamebook spinoff from the UK comics magazine 2000AD

I was really confused about this one. Wow, this is a seriously obscure reference. Good on them.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

dwarf74 posted:

I was really confused about this one. Wow, this is a seriously obscure reference. Good on them.

It's probably because the style of gamebook comic You Are Deadpool is was directly inspired by Diceman.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

quote:

The only other story in the comic which was not derived from 2000 AD was "You are Ronald Reagan in: Twilight's Last Gleaming", a satirical spoof in which the reader, playing the part of the American president, must prevent nuclear war breaking out. In contrast to the strip Diceman, this strip also had a sanity score, but if it got too high, then the Secret Service assume that the president must have been replaced with an imposter (a comment on Reagan's perceived intellectual limitations). This game was exceptionally difficult compared with the others in the comic, as the player must make irrational decisions to avoid arrest and execution, while trying to make the right decisions to prevent a nuclear launch by either side.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I wanted to play in a particular system, but the goon games don’t have any of that type recruiting right now, what’s another good place to find groups? I want to avoid the insanity detailed in the Cat Piss thread so I’m wary of joining random poo poo on Roll20, but that doesn’t give me a lot of selection. IRL friends aren’t interested in starting a TRRPG campaign due to something I’ve never figured out.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

hope I'm not too late to Eberron chat, but it's definitely my favourite "established" setting in TTRPGs and I ran it a ton back in HS and undergrad and kinda always end up returning to it in some way

if they were to do a 5e campaign book it might end up being the only good thing about d&d currently

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

If I wanted to play in a particular system, but the goon games don’t have any of that type recruiting right now, what’s another good place to find groups? I want to avoid the insanity detailed in the Cat Piss thread so I’m wary of joining random poo poo on Roll20, but that doesn’t give me a lot of selection. IRL friends aren’t interested in starting a TRRPG campaign due to something I’ve never figured out.

Try RPoL? Although my experience there was kinda middling.

I think someone posted the whole book in LF

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Plutonis posted:

Try RPoL? Although my experience there was kinda middling.

In that case, is it a bad idea to try and GM a game myself if I’ve only played a TTRPG a couple times?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Pollyanna posted:

In that case, is it a bad idea to try and GM a game myself if I’ve only played a TTRPG a couple times?

I wouldn't host a game for randoms, but if you get some people you know and trust together, that might work nicely.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pollyanna posted:

someone has to always been the first in lots of groups, no reason it can't be you

just make it known that you're new at this and people should self-select for that pretty well i imagine

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you are gonna GM why not do it with goons you know then?

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Exalted 3E's Kickstarter was a debacle but lol if you think Swedish Dracula's magnum opus is going to be remotely worth paying for based on everything that's been presented thus far.

Show us on the doll where the Swedish publisher touched you.

This is hardly a "magnum opus," sparky. This is literally "the very first products from a newly established company" and includes a high end artisanal release for the serious collectors. For me, the important thing to take away from this initial announcement is that these books are actually going to show up in your FLGS, something that Onyx Path was unwilling to bother with. And being that these announcements are also filtering through ICV2, the trade magazine, this is an official solicitation in the industry, rather than some guy in Pennsylvania shrieking into the void.

Insofar as "everything that has been presented," I can only laugh. An art-free alpha preview has zero to with the the polish of the finished product, and since no one (that I have seen here) has had a beef with the rules presented, I'm guessing this is where the exhibited disdain is cropping up from. I feel about this much like I felt about the art-free alpha preview that FFG posted for L5R - it's a sampler for the fans to bitch about, but otherwise, it's not much to go on for the final layout.

And well, given the track record of Swedish RPG publications... I don't see too many people complaining about the quality of Tales from the Loop, Symbaroum, Coriolis, Trudvang, Mutant: Year Zero, Kult, etc. If nothing else, the Paradox White Wolf is going to have to live up to the standards set by the other Swedish RPG companies. And well, they recruited Ken Hite and Mark Rein-Hagen to develop it, and we all know those guys suck, right?

Yeah, it looks a lot like I'm carrying water for this company. From where I'm standing, I'm waiting to see how if they actually fail to deliver, rather than deciding - based on close to zero evidence, past a single press release and an alpha playtest document - that it's totally going to suck and everything is ruined forever and such as. But until August comes, all of this is rank speculation, rather than reasoned debate.

For what it's worth, I gave Onyx Path every single chance I could, and they managed to disappoint spectacularly.

Kai Tave posted:

I mentioned Exalted because of the "products they claim are written at the time of launch" dig, dude. I have no idea if they promised Wraith20 was done prior to it being crowdfunded though yes, it's been significantly delayed as well. Other than those two, have there been any other Onyx Path kickstarters with significant delays beyond the norm for a crowdfunded RPG project?

Rather than take all day to post this one reply, I'll go back and check the dates and the fulfillment on the Onyx Path Kickstarters that I was part of. Without looking, I think every single one took a minimum of a year and a half from funding to delivery. Exalted was its own particular subset of nonsense on that count, since it looks to have launched the Kickstarter early May of 2013, and the shipping notification was April of 2017.

I guess the question is "How long should a game revision take to bring to market?"

From my own library, I can immediately point to things like the Torg Eternity Kickstarters. The Living Land KS closed at 11:00pm EST, and I had the PDF's for three books on my desktop 14 hours later. Sure, we can debate about the audience of Torg Eternity or the relative merits of the game, but I already have documents in hand to use at my table, TYVM.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ah, yes, like...

Well, if we want to put them up against the previous computer game company that held the White Wolf properties, they've delivered press releases and images for a product. So, there's that.

Again, if August comes and there's nothing on the shelves to buy, you'll be right. Until then, it's all wild speculation.

Yawgmoth posted:

A lot of edgy casual racism/sexism? That is kind of a thing they promised!

Was this something from the alpha?

I mean, it's not Onyx Path, with their baked-in Rape Charm Set for Exalted 3e, so they can still reach for those stars.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Martin Snazz posted:

And well, they recruited Ken Hite and Mark Rein-Hagen to develop it, and we all know those guys suck, right?

Poster who hasn't read I Am Zombie detected

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

hope I'm not too late to Eberron chat, but it's definitely my favourite "established" setting in TTRPGs and I ran it a ton back in HS and undergrad and kinda always end up returning to it in some way

if they were to do a 5e campaign book it might end up being the only good thing about d&d currently

IMO, you are never too late for Eberron chat.

Tbh if they just released Eberron as it's own thing, that would probably be preferable.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

What system are you interested in?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying? Like, when you don't know what to do, what do you end up doing with a person? Why?

I tend to make them an rear end in a top hat, usually. Somewhat because I do feel that most players act like jerks in-universe, with few exceptions, due to the fact that, well, they're real and the NPCs are not, if you follow me. So, I think the jerk response is kind of normal. I also find it helps make the players emotionally invested, even if it is only in desire to get revenge.

In the future, I should probably shy away from it because of the same thing I mentioned earlier: players are real, NPCs are not. First off, this has, very rarely, annoyed some players. Secondly, players will not hesitate to do above and beyond in their revenge, including genocide, because they're real and the NPCs are not.

How about all of you?

Serf
May 5, 2011

so who bought swedracula an account

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012
Because I'm a moron and like the punishment inherent to backing Onyx Path Kickstarters:

Werewolf 20th -
Kickstarter: October 2012
Pledged: $120
Promised: January 2013
Shipped: November 2013
Time: One Year

Hunters Hunted II -
Kickstarter: February 2013
Pledged: $45
Promised: May 2013
Shipped: November 2013
Time: Nine Months

Exalted 3e -
Kickstarter: May 2013
Pledged: $110
Promised: December 2013
Shipped: April 2017
Time: Four Years

Changing Breeds -
Kickstarter: July 2013
Pledged: $50
Promised: December 2013
Shipped: July 2014

Anarchs Unbound -
Kickstarter: February 2014
Promised: December 2014
Shipped: December 2014
Time: Ten Months

Mage 20th -
Kickstarter: April 2014
Pledged: $135
Promised: March 2015
Shipped: March 2016
Time: Two Years

Book of the Wyrm -
Kickstarter: June 2014
Promised: June 2015
Shipped: May 2015
Time: Eleven Months

Dark Ages 20th -
Kickstarter: October 2014
Pledged: $100
Promised: November 2015
Shipped: November 2015

Wraith 20th -
Kickstarter: December 2014
Promised: November 2015
Shipped: NOPE
Time: Three and a Half Years... so far

Lore of the Clans -
Kickstarter: April 2015
Pledged: $55
Promised: March 2016
Shipped: April 2016

Shattered Dreams -
Kickstarter: November 2015
Promised: December 2016
Shipped: March 2017
Time: One and Half Years

Changeling 20th -
Kickstarter: December 2015
Promised: June 2017
Shipped: April 2018
Time: Two and a Half Years

Trinity: Aeon -
Kickstarter: February 2018
Pledged: $90
Promised: October 2019
Shipped: We'll see...

So, the takeaway is that they take forever to fulfill, but some are much worse than others. Also, I seem to be fairly bitter about the Exalted 3e Kickstarter, and that's colored my perception of how long it's taken for these books to actually arrive. Especially when this is the text offered in the Risks & Challenges bit at the end of the Werewolf KS:

Richard Thomas posted:

The writing is already finished and half of the book will have been laid out by the time this is posted. 99% of the art is in, and both outstanding artists are creators with whom I have worked since 1993 on WtA first edition. They had huge assignments but the art is coming in.

Even with all of this, it took five months for them to release the PDF's for Werewolf 20th, and those still needed proofreading and some editing, as I recall.

Exalted 3e claimed that the "writing is already more than half-way finished and we are contracting the remaining art at the same time as this KS." Similarly, the Wraith 20th KS was about halfway done at the time of the Kickstarter. And we know how quickly those projects delivered.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Poster who hasn't read I Am Zombie detected

Fair enough. Got a link for some proper hate, since the quick Google Search isn't turning up much negative criticism?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Covok posted:

This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying? Like, when you don't know what to do, what do you end up doing with a person? Why?

I tend to make them an rear end in a top hat, usually. Somewhat because I do feel that most players act like jerks in-universe, with few exceptions, due to the fact that, well, they're real and the NPCs are not, if you follow me. So, I think the jerk response is kind of normal. I also find it helps make the players emotionally invested, even if it is only in desire to get revenge.

In the future, I should probably shy away from it because of the same thing I mentioned earlier: players are real, NPCs are not. First off, this has, very rarely, annoyed some players. Secondly, players will not hesitate to do above and beyond in their revenge, including genocide, because they're real and the NPCs are not.

How about all of you?

i don't GM a lot but my NPCs tend to end up a lot like my PCs - loud, dorky in a cute way, generally happy people-persons who end up as the straight man more often than not. I don't think I've ever played a jerk or evil character on either side of the screen in over a decade

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Martin Snazz posted:

Rather than take all day to post this one reply, I'll go back and check the dates and the fulfillment on the Onyx Path Kickstarters that I was part of. Without looking, I think every single one took a minimum of a year and a half from funding to delivery. Exalted was its own particular subset of nonsense on that count, since it looks to have launched the Kickstarter early May of 2013, and the shipping notification was April of 2017.

I know we got the backer pdf in 2015

Martin Snazz posted:

I mean, it's not Onyx Path, with their baked-in Rape Charm Set for Exalted 3e, so they can still reach for those stars.

There isn't anything like a rape charm set in either the core or the other books. I mean, I guess you can call it that based on the Abyssals Preview shitstorm they walked back on, but then I reserve the right to keep calling the SA the rape forum even if they got rid of Aatrek or Shmorky too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
of course now plutonis is going to be like "ACTually you were evil or at least conniving in the ivalice game" to which i say there is nothing evil about explosions as long as you're suitably cute

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

I tend to have cartoon characters because funny voices are easy and characterization beyond 3 things is hard.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying?
I generally have a pile of ready-made NPC outlines on hand for when I need a quick personality to throw in front of the players. It's little more than a grid of name/race/class/quirk; everything else is determined on the spot as necessary. It's really handy when you just need someone for the PCs to interact with.

Edit: lol holy poo poo if martin snazz isn't actually martin ericsson and/or another zak s sockpuppet I would be mildly shocked at this point

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

of course now plutonis is going to be like "ACTually you were evil or at least conniving in the ivalice game" to which i say there is nothing evil about explosions as long as you're suitably cute

Calm down Megumin