Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

“webmd will replace doctors”

you say that but my pcp is always trying to say you're you own best doc, and get out of my office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

syscall girl posted:

you say that but my pcp is always trying to say you're you own best doc, and get out of my office

for a while i thought "PCP" referred to the drug and was really bummed when my insurance card said "medical PCP not required" on it, thinking it was some law where you have to have a pre-approved license to be treated with PCP

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean no, this (as in what that other moron was talking about) is literally about a computer completely replacing people, not just medical professionals using a rigid process and deferring to tools to diagnose people, but the medical professionals being completely cut out of the process and the patient interacting directly with the program. i think everyone agrees that making doctors follow more rigid processes and rely on the systems that you're describing is a good thing, but the doctors (or nurses, or someone) still need to be in the loop to actually do the stuff with the patient.

The reality is given enough time for the systems to be developed and processes designed we probably could significantly reduce the times a doctor is required and at some point maybe even eliminate a human from the process. It might not be now and it might not be everything at once, but its gonna happen.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i don't even go to the doctor :smug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and that's a problem that automated systems could help with. Just getting you to engage and provide your current vitals would allow a provider to decide if you should come in for a visit or not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Can we bill you for it?" -> "Looks like it's time to come in for a check-up!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well we also need to move to capitated payments but that's a whole other thing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

for a while i thought "PCP" referred to the drug and was really bummed when my insurance card said "medical PCP not required" on it, thinking it was some law where you have to have a pre-approved license to be treated with PCP

part of me wants to do pcp because it's a dissociative like ketamine and dxm* but i'm afraid i will lift my neighbor's car up and throw it through her window because how do you even leave a dog in there, dog is barking at all hours and just put it in your house ffs

*ask j290 about that one

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fun fact: doctors rely on webmd very heavily. they have a "professional" product with more detailed information and a lot less advertising

but it still helps a lot to have a doctor or nurse listening to your experiences, reading the material, and interpreting it for you

they also call it “consulting with doctor google” because it’s faster and more discrete than pulling a medical text off of the wall

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wasn’t it a huge pain in the rear end just to get surgeons to do checklists properly

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

syscall girl posted:

part of me wants to do pcp because it's a dissociative like ketamine and dxm* but i'm afraid i will lift my neighbor's car up and throw it through her window because how do you even leave a dog in there, dog is barking at all hours and just put it in your house ffs

*ask j290 about that one

i've been in a k-hole a couple times and was kinda-sorta addicted to DXM (and other things) at one of my worst points so i'm very familiar with both, yeah :sigh:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
dxm will gently caress your poo poo up

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

syscall girl posted:

part of me wants to do pcp

it just makes you feel like a very fuzzy guy for a fair while. definitely worth it.

i think the pos must remember that you might be smarter than the average bear when it comes to medical care and human doctors are extremely valuable to dumbasses who can't read or think with their own brains.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

i've been in a k-hole a couple times

I think it's probably more respectful to call them "Korean women" though?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Uptime Sinclair posted:

dxm will gently caress your poo poo up

a friend of mine developed epilepsy after a few years of heavy dxm use

he got himself a chemistry license so that he could order the stuff directly

it might not've caused it but it sure didn't help and now he's not allowed to drive a car because his seizures are bad enough

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fits my needs posted:

wasn’t it a huge pain in the rear end just to get surgeons to do checklists properly

my wife was part of the team that implemented digital charting at the hospital she works at. the amount of bitching and feet-dragging performed by the doctors was loving shameful.

my mom, who works at a much smaller hospital an hour or so away, faced even more pushback.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

my wife was part of the team that implemented digital charting at the hospital she works at. the amount of bitching and feet-dragging performed by the doctors was loving shameful.

my mom, who works at a much smaller hospital an hour or so away, faced even more pushback.

lol, most doctors that did rounds inpatient where I worked as a transporter didn’t even follow proper c-dif or other infection protocol. and got mad at nurses when they pointed it out

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

once i got bit by a rat and the dr sat there on her phone and googled "what to do for rat bites" right in front of me

i hate MDs they just cheat their way through med school anyway. medicine is a science my rear end.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a friend of mine developed epilepsy after a few years of heavy dxm use

he got himself a chemistry license so that he could order the stuff directly

it might not've caused it but it sure didn't help and now he's not allowed to drive a car because his seizures are bad enough

pure dxm is very easy to source, like it’s not illegal. you can source it locally, and overseas (japan has pure dxm tablets for example). if he wasn’t getting exotic precursors with that license then smh

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

crabrock posted:

once i got bit by a rat and the dr sat there on her phone and googled "what to do for rat bites" right in front of me

i hate MDs they just cheat their way through med school anyway. medicine is a science my rear end.

I mean, it's a bite by a mammal. Isn't it going to be handled like any other mammal bite: clean and dress wound, find the animal and have it tested for rabies, if this is impossible strongly consider prophylactic rabies vax, consider broad-spectrum antibiotic?

This is like Boy Scout 101 poo poo? :shrug:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, it's a bite by a mammal. Isn't it going to be handled like any other mammal bite: clean and dress wound, find the animal and have it tested for rabies, if this is impossible strongly consider prophylactic rabies vax, consider broad-spectrum antibiotic?

*thinks back to watching quincy, md as a child*

uh....

i think rat bites are the ones that make you dance to death??

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

four stomachs and an rear end in a top hat

what is: Jeff bezos' perfect meeting size?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

much like "increased access to information and exposure to diverse viewpoints will bring about an ideological golden age!" folks in the 90s the "machine learning is magic" people refuse to consider bad actors in their thinking

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Schadenboner posted:

she probably wasn't a boy scout.

it was a lab rat so no rabies. she just gave me antibiotics and it healed up fine. i mostly went in just in case something terrible happened i would have it on record

also because i can't prescribe myself antibiotics

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

dr bornstein, trump's doctor of 30+ years, hilariously revealed that he still doesn't use electronic medical records

someone in cspam looked him up and he apparently takes medicare which means that as of last year being paper only he's being dinged by 3% for all reimbursements

also he's now accepting new patients lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

crabrock posted:

it was a lab rat so no rabies. she just gave me antibiotics and it healed up fine. i mostly went in just in case something terrible happened i would have it on record

Well, you've still got to kill it pour encourager les autres, can't allow terrorism like that to go unanswered.

:sigh:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also he's now accepting new patients lol
he totally doesnt seem like a guy who would give you a 90 day oxy scrip or sign off on your handicapped parking permit in exchange for $600 no questions asked

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

he totally doesnt seem like a guy who would give you a 90 day oxy scrip or sign off on your handicapped parking permit in exchange for $600 no questions asked

i imagine that he didn't realize how much of his practice relies upon discretion and that since he's totally ok with announcing to the nyt about what his most famous patient's prescriptions are for hair growth and boners or how he just let goons come in and ransack his files, that this might have damaged his rep somewhat

"I couldn't believe anybody was making a big deal out of a drug to grow his hair that seemed to be so important. And it certainly was not a breach of medical trust to tell somebody they take Propecia to grow their hair. What's the matter with that?"

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i imagine that he didn't realize how much of his practice relies upon discretion and that since he's totally ok with announcing to the nyt about what his most famous patient's prescriptions are for hair growth and boners or how he just let goons come in and ransack his files, that this might have damaged his rep somewhat

"I couldn't believe anybody was making a big deal out of a drug to grow his hair that seemed to be so important. And it certainly was not a breach of medical trust to tell somebody they take Propecia to grow their hair. What's the matter with that?"

lol

seriously. what a shithead.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fits my needs posted:

it was a huge pain just to get them to wash their hands

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Also: Consider a statin.

(Epic joke :lol:)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duz posted:

it was a huge pain just to get them to wash their hands

germs are just a theory

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

crabrock posted:

just take fish antibiotics bing bong so simple

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OldAlias posted:

pure dxm is very easy to source, like it’s not illegal. you can source it locally, and overseas (japan has pure dxm tablets for example). if he wasn’t getting exotic precursors with that license then smh

you can buy it by itself here, not combined with other medications, in gel caps in every pharmacy and grocery store

they card you to see if you're 18 but I think that's a company policy thing not a law thing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

germs are just a theory

people in tyool 2018 still don’t believe in germ theory

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's also trivial to acid-base extract it from other medications that have it in combination with guaifenesin using only things you can find around the house if you want a fun weekend science fair project

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i had a rat bite some water and then i took that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

crabrock posted:

they were probably googling "differential diagnosis of adult autism"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a rat done bit my sister nell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

people in tyool 2018 still don’t believe in germ theory

yellow bile, black bile, and uh... bad humors.