Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Himuro posted:

It really isn’t my intention to argue. I mean, it’s the FF thread. Arguing about FF is tradition. What are supposed to talk about? How they’re loving up the VII remake? And I never leave and have a meltdown here. What you described only happens in your head.

Nice meltdown :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

Uh oh! You got me! :smuggo:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Prepping for floating continent. Teaching Terra vanish, got the rhodox rage, got water rondo, about to buy the last esper at the auction house, and going to get drill for Edgar. I’ve looted South Figaro, Doma, the Imperial Base. Am I missing anything for pre-WoR?

Edit: sweet Jesus. I just used rhodox and learned all the spells I wanted in two battles with Intangir. When I was a kid I made Intangir un-vanish and cast doom on him. This is so much better and easier way to grind magic!

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 2, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a great way to reduce the thread's Vitality to zero.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What odds will you give me that Final Fantasy XVI is announced before the end of the year?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

XVI will come after VII REMAKE is done.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

What odds will you give me that Final Fantasy XVI is announced before the end of the year?

XVI is just DLC for XV

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF16 is going to be an MMO.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My current status on XII: The Vaan Defender has logged on

I still hate his design (and I liked Tidus') which is a shame because there are so many cool looking characters in the game. He also lacks a lot of charisma but he definitely has an important role (along with Penelo) in the story.

lmbo

Speaking of other FF games the thing that confusedme most in FF games were not being able to control limit breaks in IX and that bit in X when they're all just breathing at the bottom of Lake Macalania.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF16 will be this thread.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EmmyOk posted:

My current status on XII: The Vaan Defender has logged on

I still hate his design (and I liked Tidus') which is a shame because there are so many cool looking characters in the game. He also lacks a lot of charisma but he definitely has an important role (along with Penelo) in the story.

lmbo

Speaking of other FF games the thing that confusedme most in FF games were not being able to control limit breaks in IX and that bit in X when they're all just breathing at the bottom of Lake Macalania.

I still didn't realize until Id's LP that the reason you could breathe was because you were ontop of Sin

EDIT: It is annoying it took them two games to fix his outfit, and they really only had to change a few things

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 2, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

I still didn't realize until Id's LP that the reason you could breathe was because you were ontop of Sin

:stare: What.

Is this even alluded to in game? It's been years since I played but I don't remember that ever being hinted at.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Don Gato posted:

:stare: What.

Is this even alluded to in game? It's been years since I played but I don't remember that ever being hinted at.

It's incredibly poor conveyed, But like you fall through the ice, wake up and you're somewhere weird and can breath and talk to everyone, and then like the cutscene hits and you see Sin and it's "Sin's here to listen to the prayer" And I thought for so long that Sin arrived and hit you guys from where ever you were and took you to the desert. No. You were on Sin the whole time and it just took you time to realize.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also the other major hidden thing is that dream zankerkand is a physical place south of spira.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah it's out at sea and you can literally visit it. That's how Jecht entered Spira when he was out swimming he touched Sin.

I always knew you were standing on Sin but before he teleport the Scooby gang they're definitely underwater

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Raxivace posted:

FF16 is going to be an MMO.

Nah, 16'll be a single-player thing. 17's the next MMO.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

It’s odd to say the paradigm deck creates player choice when the endgame deck invariably looks like this minus some esoteric setups for specific bonus content:

RAV/RAV/RAV
COM/RAV/RAV
COM/COM/RAV
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED
SAB/SYN/???? <- player choice!!!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Himuro posted:

It doesn’t help that IX has charm out the rear end while XIII has “moms are tough” and beach bums gone terrorist.

1. mom's are tough is part of the charm, we all know this

2. Beach bum gone terrorist? Do you mean...Snow? Cause his NORA group weren't terrorists so much as they were just local vigilante protection group. If I have my ff13 lore right, they didn't really fight the government until the purge happened, and that was defense, not an act of terrorism.

Dross posted:

It’s odd to say the paradigm deck creates player choice when the endgame deck invariably looks like this minus some esoteric setups for specific bonus content:

RAV/RAV/RAV
COM/RAV/RAV
COM/COM/RAV
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED

I played through ff13 multiple times and my deck only looked like that once near the end of one file when I already had most characters filled on secondary roles, and I think it was only something I used for Vercingetorix where as I had completely different paradigms for almost all of the other late game missions.

This also doesn't take into account character differences between roles which can matter a lot. A Com/Com/Sen paradigm for a Vanille/Sahz/Lightning order is gonna be completely different than the same paradigm for a Lightning/Fang/Snow order due to the different ability sets.

I think the difference that stats make for how much you need to give a poo poo about smart paradigm making is something people miss a lot. Even something like upgrading your weapons just up to Tier 2 goes a long way to making things stupidly easier. Which is generally how a lot of RPGs go when you think about it, but w/e

In the end, I'm not trying to say that FF13 for sure has the same amount of job variation that you can get with FF5 (since, even if FF13 counts as a job system, it's different enough that I wouldn't call it the same). But it does give a healthy amount of choice that most of the other ff13 players I talk to have some sort of favorite team for one reason or another that varies a bunch.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you arent using setups like SAB/RAV/RAV and SEN/RAV/RAV you truly havent experienced Ef Ef thirteen

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dross posted:

RAV/RAV/RAV
COM/RAV/RAV
COM/COM/RAV
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED
Random encounters want this setup:
RAV/RAV/RAV
RAV/RAV/RAV
COM/COM/COM
COM/COM/COM

because then you can stagger and com-juggle with the bar refills

source: watched too many speedruns, as in more than zero

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Onmi posted:

EDIT: It is annoying it took them two games to fix his outfit, and they really only had to change a few things

This looks so much better it's unreal. I suppose it's more piratey than street urchin but it's def a pretty clear indicator how they could have made him not look like absolute poo poo.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dross posted:

RAV/RAV/RAV
COM/RAV/RAV
COM/COM/RAV
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED

Considering I'm pretty sure the only variation on that bar I regularly used for the endgame was Com/Rav/Rav and Sen/Sen/Sen, I'd say 'invariably' is invariably hyperbolic.

I'd say my one big complaint about the system is that single Sen is almost entirely worthless unless you're using a specific party setup that lets you keep one person in front at all times (generally meaning one of Lightning/Snow/Fang probably under your control and the other two being some combo of Vanille/Hope/Sahz) because otherwise you don't get a lot of control over who gets punched even with SEN taunts, or your party's too grouped up and everyone eats the big attacks anyways. It does stifle the useful setups a bit, and kind of forces a triple SEN paradigm if you're worried about getting haymakered, which hurts bits where the threat is just one person getting bopped hard like Behemoth fights. It's not too big a deal because a setup with a SEN is a setup where a character is basically not doing anything, but there are moments where I wish I could have one SEN and be sure it's doing it's job without making everyone a SEN just to save one person.

(My MED setup was SAB/MED/MED, both to keep the break bar from depleting and to quickly redebuff the enemy to keep the incoming damage lower.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

This looks so much better it's unreal. I suppose it's more piratey than street urchin but it's def a pretty clear indicator how they could have made him not look like absolute poo poo.

The thing is it's not just the shirt, it's the contrast of the white vs the darkness of his pants. Because his pants and vest are dark and then Vaan is tan. So it's all meshed together with no real color break. So it looks dirty, and he looks dirty. But when you add the white shirt, it breaks up the black of the vest and the pants, and it makes him look clean and stylish.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Bongo Bill posted:

Odds of announcing FFXVI with a pre-rendered trailer before story/gameplay/game engine is nailed down and development team is staffed = 100%

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I hope in vain that FF16 is a 90s nostalgia role playing game, like how there's been so many 8-bit and 16-bit 80s Nostalgia roleplaying games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Isn't that just Bravely Default

e: oh 90s ok

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Help Im Alive posted:

Isn't that just Bravely Default

I don't own a 3DS.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do you own anything, because that type of game is coming out on every console

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tae posted:

Do you own anything, because that type of game is coming out on every console

I own a PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One (got it as a gift from my brother).

Thought of buying a Switch but they were always sold out and then I guess I just...forgot.

Never was much of a handheld gamer.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dross posted:

RAV/RAV/RAV
COM/RAV/RAV
COM/COM/RAV
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED

This is dumb and wrong.

You are dumb and wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

With regards to FF13, it is often forgotten that the crystarium is different per character per role. Their base stats vary as do when and what role abilities they unlock.

So, character must be taken into consideration when choosing Paradigm slots.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I thought the only setup anyone used was Lightning COM / Fang COM / Snow SAB because Snow makes the other two deal double damage.

Or have people broken that game enough to get like sub-10 second turtles or something ridiculous these days?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

I hope in vain that FF16 is a 90s nostalgia role playing game, like how there's been so many 8-bit and 16-bit 80s Nostalgia roleplaying games.

90’s was 16 bit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Himuro posted:

90’s was 16 bit.

Mid to late 90s.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Saint Freak posted:

Or have people broken that game enough to get like sub-10 second turtles or something ridiculous these days?

Not using shrouds/TP/death, I think something like this is around the fastest time

Though yeah, if you use Death and get the super low chances to work out, you can win in 8 seconds

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Covok posted:

I don't own a 3DS.

Covok posted:

I own a PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One (got it as a gift from my brother).

Thought of buying a Switch but they were always sold out and then I guess I just...forgot.

Never was much of a handheld gamer.

You really should have led with this, it explains so much about your earlier posts. The RPG library on the 3DS is absolutely massive, and even bigger if you consider the DS library it inherited. Even if you decide that 90% of it is trash, there'll still be plenty of stuff worth playing. I'm not even trying to be an rear end here, if you're looking for old school RPGs, handheld is where it's at.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

Mid to late 90s.

Well there was Cosmic Star Heroine which is an ode to mid 90’s Jrpgs.

The problem is, what do you define mid to late 90 Jrpgs to be? Because it’s a pretty diverse group. If what you mean is “Final Fantasy” that’s not really indicative of how other jrpgs of the era turned out. Do you mean mid to late 90’s Sqauresoff? Because that’s a diverse group too. You go from FFVI to CT to Super Mario RPG to FF7 to Tactics, FFVIII, Xenogears, Parasite Eve. It gets even murkier when you go outside of Square with stuff like SMT (Soul Hackers, Persona), Suikoden, Sakura Taisen, or even Grandia. What does a mid to late 90’s rpg even represent? It spans the entire gamut between 2d story based entries and dungeon crawlers to date sims and 3d cinematic RPGs.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 2, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tales of Phantasia was another big mid-90's one, and even something more modern like Berseria still feels like its clearly descended from that game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

Tales of Phantasia was another big mid-90's one, and even something more modern like Berseria still feels like its clearly descended from that game.

Right. Many of today’s bigger rpgs like Persona and Tales are sequels to jrpgs born out of the 90’s. I’m not going to say that means you should like the modern ones if you liked the older ones (I for instance don’t like P5 and I’m an old Persona fan). Just that there’s some options out there.

Your avatar is amazing Rax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I just hope Scarlet Grace really does come out in English, I care way more about SaGa than Final Fantasy anyway