Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I would but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I would but...

Lol. Ok yeah there's a guy is raging about the price.

He should do what myself and others are going to do and just buy the core set + 1 conversion kit at the start. There will be a shitload of new content from that one kit alone.

God imagine if they make A-Wings good.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Is it strange that with all the changes coming to 2.0 the one I'm most excited for is Dutch Vander's ability now being range 1-3 instead of range 1-2?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Force users regenerate tokens. The new Luke says "after you become the defender, you may recover 1 force token."

Not all of them, that is a Luke specific ability. Vader, for instance, doesn't mention anything about recovering force tokens on his card.

EDIT: Of course I'm a page behind, and someone mentioned that Force users might get a token back at the End Phase. Makes sense, as a Vader with a 3 use only ability wouldn't be all that great. Luke's recover lets him use his pilot ability the same way he used to.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 2, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You'll also probably be able to buy individual lots if you only want to upgrade specific ships (and those won't be too expensive because they can't overprice the individual sets).

I'm considering buying a Rebel kit for my Xs, As, Bs, and ARCs, then just selling individually bagged Falcons and Gunships and such. It won't pay for itself but it'll help offset the costs a bit.

Like, for every person who is saying they need to buy two kits to play 4x gunships, there's going to be a dozen of me trying to move them on eBay for $4.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 2, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Can Vader TL, pop his special to focus->BR? :stonklol:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yep. He can and it owns.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
At the cost of a stress, though? Which would fit with the idea that PTL became a core mecanic.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Lets break this card down.

6 Initiative, so highest.

2 attack, 3 agl, 3 hull, 2 shields, 3 force. I assume the little up triangle beside his force stat means 'regen one at the end of each turn.' Which means maybe there's other things like charges, maybe even shield or hull, that wind up regenerating as an official step.

Can focus, then push the limit to barrel roll. Or can TL. Or can barrel roll.

Can use force tokens to do additional actions. Doesn't say anything about how many times per turn. So, he could TL, force, focus, force, BR. Or TL, force, focus, take a stress, and BR.

He can, I'd assume, spend up to three force to modify three dice. I'm not sure if that's defense only, or also on offence; i.e. can he use a force to turn an eyeball into a hit, or only turn an eyeball into an evade?

So, now, instead of simply having two actions per turn, period, it's actually a strategic decision. It's a resource to be managed. Genius!

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 2, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Some Numbers posted:

Ask him if he'd prefer FFG saying that all 1e content is useless and you can't even use the old ships.

They could also just charge a more reasonable price for a box of cardboard. They had lots of options.

That guy should probably just pick one faction to buy and not buy any food for his kids for a month though

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

alg posted:

They could also just charge a more reasonable price for a box of cardboard. They had lots of options.

I play a lot of board games. Cardboard ain't as cheap as it used to be. Plus, I'd be surprised if each kit weighs less than 5 pounds.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

alg posted:

That guy should probably just pick one faction to buy and not buy any food for his kids for a month though

What would you consider a reasonable price for a box of cardboard?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Be careful of the line between observing that the Conversion Kits are probably the best we could realistically hope for and defending a corporation.

Anyway, if I could indulge in a bit of theorizing, maybe someone in this thread would be open to feeling out a kit-splitting deal with me?

I'd buy 1 Rebel Kit and 1 Imperial Kit. I would not want the following dials+bases+pilot cards:

Rebel:
1 - ARC 170 (I own 1, so 1 dial+base spare, keeping pilot cards)
2 – Auzituck Gunship
2 – E-wing
2 – Ghost
2 – HWK-290
2 – K-wing
2 – Phantom I
2 – Phantom II (I don't even know what these two ships are, like, even remotely)
2 – U-wing
2 – YT-2400
4 – Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial:
1 - TIE Interceptor (for this and the Bomber, I only own two models, so a spare dial+base)
1 - TIE Bomber
3 – Alpha-class Star Wing
3 – Inquisitor’s TIE
2 – Lambda-class Shuttle (not EU but I have a vendetta)
3 – TIE Aggressor
2 – TIE Defender
2 – TIE Phantom
2 – TIE Punisher
3 – TIE Striker (also not EU but never got one, won't now)
2 – VT-49 Decimator

That's 23/37 Rebel kits and 24/34 Imperial kits I wouldn't want. I would be keeping all the upgrade cards, though, unless the two kits together seem to give you an unnecessary number of something. Would someone consider it fair to buy the above kit lists for half a Conversion Kit's price, as those are more than half of the particular kits but I'd keep the upgrades? I'd also be open to adjusting the deal a bit to get Slave I and Y Wing Scum dials+bases, those being my only Scum ships, or to get more X Wing, B Wing, and TIE Fighter dials+bases (will be missing 1 or 2 of each to achieve perfect match to my models).

I feel like there's no harm in talking about it now. Nobody's signing a contract or nothin' and if I or another party back out before release there should be plenty of opportunity to adjust plans.

edited: I forgot I don't have 3x Ints or Bombers, could spare some more dials+bases

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 2, 2018

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I sold my X-Wing collection a couple of months ago for a good price, so I'm pleased.

2.0 looks like it's going to fix one of the things that I found annoying about X-Wing - namely having to buy random junk ships (or eBay) for cards that you need.

I'm actually considering buying back in when 2.0 comes out, but just sticking with one faction this time, especially since you can now just focus on what you want. 2.0 seems like a positive thing overall, and even if you were upgrading an existing collection with the conversion packs, $50 isn't really that bad compared to what other games force you to buy for edition changes. I get the impression that some X-Wing players only play X-Wing, so the whole spending money for the next version thing that is common in wargaming is a new concept to them.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The conversion kits will most likely let me sell off my scum ships that I don’t touch at all. Then I can use that money to buy empire and Rebel kits.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would you consider a reasonable price for a box of cardboard?

How about $25 or $30, FFG and Disney both make a nice profit, and keep a bunch of people buying and playing.

These same people have to buy another core too which is $40ish isn't it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

I feel like there's no harm in talking about it now. Nobody's signing a contract or nothin' and if I or another party back out before release there should be plenty of opportunity to adjust plans.

This is the kind of post that, in September, there's a reasonable chance I would offer you $10 for you to mail me the Defenders and an ARC (but I would probably beg you for one pilot card and base, just so I could fly the thing).

If you're just gauging what interest may look like in practice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

alg posted:

How about $25 or $30, FFG and Disney both make a nice profit, and keep a bunch of people buying and playing.

These same people have to buy another core too which is $40ish isn't it?

In raw materials, yes, that's a reasonable price. But there's no way that pays for the time spent designing, testing, templating, making graphics, etc.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

alg posted:

Do you have a source for either of these claims? I don't know the price of cardboard and ink at this scale, nor the time spent designing/testing/creating, and the response has been very positive so far.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

This is the kind of post that, in September, there's a reasonable chance I would offer you $10 for you to mail me the Defenders and an ARC (but I would probably beg you for one pilot card and base, just so I could fly the thing).

If you're just gauging what interest may look like in practice.

Haha OK let's stay on mutual radar. To clarify I didn't mean just dials, I'd part with dials, bases, pegs, and pilot cards for the unloved ships. Only with the ARC 170, TIE Int, and TIE Bomber would I keep pilot cards and send off excess dials, bases, and pegs. I bet at a minimum I'd have spare generic pilot cards to send your way :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Holy poo poo 2.0 looks great. I'm gonna go Rebels unless the Scum stuff looks really good. Game looks way better from core design up, and the ability to only buy one faction and get everything is fantastic. Medium ships is much needed and the turret changes are especially hot. Conversion kits for 1.0 instead of a clean slate is perfect too. Anyone mad about this is real dumb.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 2, 2018

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Also, the fact that they’re cannibalizing their own sales. Seriously, FFG is going out of their way to do right by the existing playbase.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

Haha OK let's stay on mutual radar. To clarify I didn't mean just dials, I'd part with dials, bases, pegs, and pilot cards for the unloved ships. Only with the ARC 170, TIE Int, and TIE Bomber would I keep pilot cards and send off excess dials, bases, and pegs. I bet at a minimum I'd have spare generic pilot cards to send your way :)

For sure.

Once this thing comes out, we should start a Buy/Sell/Trade specific thread like MTG has just for swapshopping all this stuff around. For the time being, it's going to be a long summer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So, we know that there will be 5 factions in this game very shortly (because resistance/FO are being spun out).
To me, that opens up two interesting possibilities:
1. Cross faction ship sharing. We already have this with rebel/scum overlap, but I expect we'll see it with Rebel/Resistance ships and Imperial/FO ships too. And with the points/upgrades behind the app, they can provide dynamic costing/balancing for ships crossing factions. I like that.
2. Clone/separatist faction possibilities. The prequels don't hold a special place in my heart, but some of the ships are cool looking.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've only played a handful of games in the last few months at league, and I kinda don't feel like it until 2.0. I might still hit up some tournaments but man playing this game without the coming changes is going to feel like a slog.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've only played a handful of games in the last few months at league, and I kinda don't feel like it until 2.0. I might still hit up some tournaments but man playing this game without the coming changes is going to feel like a slog.

I think the next couple months will be PERFECT to play some HotAC as a swan song for 1.0.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

:circlefap:

This owns. I guess I’ll stop buying rebel ships though cause I play them the least, but overall this is A Goode Thing™️.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

£30 for my legit cards takes the sting out a bit, I guess the site I used hasn't adjusted prices yet. The secondary market is going to be weird over the next few months.

For people planning to get the conversion boxes, I'd totally recommend grabbing 'ship only' bits while they're still cheap.

lofi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 2, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This 2.0 thing is gonna make FFG a mint. I just left my FLGS and as I was checking out with my comics there was a guy negotiating with the owner on a slight discount on him preordered 5 imperial, 4 Rebel and 3 Scum conversion kits, since he wants his entire fleet to be 2.0 playable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just a heads up, the conversion kit information (no details, just number of ships supported per kit (counted by number of maneuver dials per ship)) is back up over at FFG's site.

Expand the FAQ section here.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/

And there are some minor changes over the early, brief appearance of this list. For example, now there are only 2 decimator dials listed instead of 3. Three deci dials were a prime complaint of the angry faction, since (today, at least), there was literally no way to fit three in a list.

I'm not sure what else changed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm not going to be keeping more than like half my Rebel Conversion, so if anybody wants 70% of it for relatively cheap/to help me get enough for the rest of my Rebels/maybe the three Imperial ships I use I'd be down for that.

Edit: off the top of my head I only need

All of the X-wings (all of them)
2 Y-Wings
4 A-Wings
2 B-Wings
2 E-Wings
2 HWKs
2 ARCs
1 Falcon

And that's literally it. Everything else I'm down to give away/trade

Strobe fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 2, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm realizing that most of us will want the same parts of the Rebel conversion kit, so there's going to be a lot of E-Wing, HWK, K-Wing and Phantom spare parts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

From the new list, this covers almost my entire collection, which is on the large end.

If I get one of every box and the core set, there are only a couple of cases where I have more of a ship than comes in the box.

To fully cover my collection, I would need:
1 more TIE
1 more Y-Wing of each faction (I have three total, but boxes only have two per faction)
1 more Starviper

Literally everything else is covered by the three boxes. I'll have a shitload of extra stuff for many other ships for all factions too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also without knowing how the ships are pointed or what abilities they have, I have no idea what I'm actually going to use.

Imperial is my favorite factions in 1.0, but no way to know if that'll be true in 2.0. It might be Scum, or even Worse Scum (rebel).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm realizing that most of us will want the same parts of the Rebel conversion kit, so there's going to be a lot of E-Wing, HWK, K-Wing and Phantom spare parts.

Who knows maybe the E-wing and HWK are going to be the new meta??

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

In raw materials, yes, that's a reasonable price. But there's no way that pays for the time spent designing, testing, templating, making graphics, etc.
The raw material costs are pretty low. It's actually getting it all to you so you can put it in the box, checking that you put the correct amount of each thing in the box, packaging up boxes in a bigger box and shipping that box to shelves by X time that costs. Cardboard is crazy expensive to ship due to sheer weight, so I'd honestly be amazed if they could do it cheaper.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arquinsiel posted:

The raw material costs are pretty low. It's actually getting it all to you so you can put it in the box, checking that you put the correct amount of each thing in the box, packaging up boxes in a bigger box and shipping that box to shelves by X time that costs. Cardboard is crazy expensive to ship due to sheer weight, so I'd honestly be amazed if they could do it cheaper.

Yeah that's kind of my point. The prices seem quite reasonable to me, as you have to think beyond just the cost of the raw materials. Honestly the raw materials are probably the cheapest part of the whole thing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Interesting...

FFG posted:

Certain ships, ship cards, and upgrade cards may rotate in and out of tournament legality, giving the Organized Play team an opportunity to create unforgettable and unique tournaments.

Opening the door for rotation as well

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yep.

There's nothing about this that isn't good from an Organized Play perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Set rotation caused riots back in the day of D&D skirmish, but that was way bigger deal in terms of meta investment and had other issues. With the app it'll be interesting to see what kind of system they implement for it.