Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Ah but don't they know that, in fact, it's Stacy's mom who's got it going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

OwlFancier posted:

Eh I mean I grew up the opposite for that reason, no men in my life so I got used to women doing everything and being good at it by necessity, so I don't think that's prescriptive. I'd be more inclined to put it down to bad experience with girls in school combined with finding literature/people who reinforce the view that actually no it is the women who are wrong for not wanting to go out with you when you show them your extensive collection of anime wallscrolls.

Cos nowadays definitely there's plenty of that out there if you look for it.

Also I blame anime.

I read an article a couple years ago about how so many Nice Guys expected the Trophy Waifu because of the social contract that pretty much every bit of tv and film promised us.
Look at almost any given teen movie: You have the attractive female lead who spends the entire movie "Not knowing what's good for her" and making mistakes that revolve around failing to realize that the shy nerdy loser is the one that she belongs to, until she's finally received enough suffering and humiliation from everyone else to drive her into the chosen one's arms.
And yeah, anime can apply there too, same with a fair amount of videogames.
The woman is supposed to deliver herself to you on a platter, with no real effort on your part, because you're just so special and amazing and willing to treat her right and :jerkbag:

Combine that with enough people who think this is actually how the system is supposed to work, and an echo chamber of likeminded individuals who won't try to force any level of self-awareness or introspection on to you, and you get this cocktail of misogyny.

Fake edit: drat, I can not find that article though. I can't even remember where I read it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The nice guy thing is definitely comprehending relationships as "I put enough NiceCoins in the slot but the girl is not dispensing sex, what do?" and yeah I can see that stemming from believing that real life works like a coming of age movie.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anime is the most egregious example of stupid gender roles. Almost every high school story involves girls falling all over a protagonist that is bland as bland can be. One of those dudes that is not offensive but also doesn't really do anything. Often they are explicitly made bland so viewers can project on to them.

God help him if he joins some sort of themed club because he will have to beat the girls off with a club to protect himself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the_steve posted:

I read an article a couple years ago about how so many Nice Guys expected the Trophy Waifu because of the social contract that pretty much every bit of tv and film promised us.
Look at almost any given teen movie: You have the attractive female lead who spends the entire movie "Not knowing what's good for her" and making mistakes that revolve around failing to realize that the shy nerdy loser is the one that she belongs to, until she's finally received enough suffering and humiliation from everyone else to drive her into the chosen one's arms.
I bet they're still mad that Andie ended up with ChadBlane :argh: instead of Duckie in the official ending.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Anime is the most egregious example of stupid gender roles. Almost every high school story involves girls falling all over a protagonist that is bland as bland can be. One of those dudes that is not offensive but also doesn't really do anything. Often they are explicitly made bland so viewers can project on to them.

God help him if he joins some sort of themed club because he will have to beat the girls off with a club to protect himself.

It helps that underneath all of the edgy violence and "adult themes", the anime and manga industry is actually quite conservative as a whole. Individual exceptions exist, of course, but in most shows, romance and sexuality is kept within a rigid, societally-acceptable framework. Even in series where gigantic anime titties are flying all over the place, the "standard" wait-until-marriage path is the only one presented as correct.

So, someone who watches a lot of anime, especially harem and light novel adaptations, is being bombarded with sexual images meant to tittilate, and the social pressure that sex is only meant to be done in the one "correct" way. It explains a lot about the incel movement, and why so many anime girl avatars are mean to me on Twitter.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

If they had just renewed "married with children" for another 30 seasons then none of this would be happening now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OwlFancier posted:

Immediately profoundly unrealistic because what anyone with that ability IRL would have done is just trade more stocks.

Soros! *shakes fist angrily for no apparent reason*

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would say it is probably a lack of positive male influences. They may have had overindulgent mothers but without some sort of positive Male figure to tell them how to handle their own self image they are pretty screwed.

This may be true, but I'm hesitant to accept it because they used to say that's what caused boys to turn gay. I think maybe the "conversion therapy" crowd still believe that.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 2, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jurgan posted:

This may be true, but I'm hesitant to accept it because they used to say that's what caused boys to turn gay. I think maybe the "conversion therapy" crowd still believe that.

I mean, yes they did, but our idea of a "positive role model" and theirs are basically opposite.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Anti-feminist hate groups are an inevitable reaction against people trying to defeat patriarchy, and the rise of mass communication has allowed them to really specialize their particular take on reactionary hatred like never before.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the most upsetting thing is that they're trying to claim the term Becky when that's already a term to describe a specific type of white girl.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Click on this to watch a duck dynasty try wannabe tries to crash a protest and gets loving owned by high school kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNe4Q77GgWI

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

It helps that underneath all of the edgy violence and "adult themes", the anime and manga industry is actually quite conservative as a whole. Individual exceptions exist, of course, but in most shows, romance and sexuality is kept within a rigid, societally-acceptable framework. Even in series where gigantic anime titties are flying all over the place, the "standard" wait-until-marriage path is the only one presented as correct.

So, someone who watches a lot of anime, especially harem and light novel adaptations, is being bombarded with sexual images meant to tittilate, and the social pressure that sex is only meant to be done in the one "correct" way. It explains a lot about the incel movement, and why so many anime girl avatars are mean to me on Twitter.

None of that's really unique to anime though. You can find the same kind of stuff pushed by Hollywood (as pointed out in this thread) all the time despite their pretensions of Leftism. Same with Western video games or TV.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hollywood pretends to be leftist or progressive??

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

OwlFancier posted:

Hollywood pretends to be leftist or progressive??

Yeah, they do. Not very well, mind you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I had noticed...

Cos like, the things I think of when I think of hollywood are hilarious tax evasion, insane overpaid idiots with lousy politics, serial rapists and an utter unwillingness to make any sort of challenging political statement in the artform.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Cos like, the things I think of when I think of hollywood are hilarious tax evasion, insane overpaid idiots with lousy politics, serial rapists and an utter unwillingness to make any sort of challenging political statement in the artform.

Remember when Jon Stewart hosted the Oscars? They played a montage of clips from movies where Hollywood had faced serious social issues, and it was met with thunderous applause. Then Jon said, "And after those movies, those issues were fixed forever!" And the room fell completely silent.

They did not care for him at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
They don't march in lockstep with the Republican party and they're in California.

Ergo, flaming liberals that hate America.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

OwlFancier posted:

That’s the reality. We’re talking about what they claim.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Only gun-owners can protect their children from the doctors trying to harvest their organs!!!

Except, not.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Only gun-owners can protect their children from the doctors trying to harvest their organs!!!

Except, not.

Lol, my first thought was "Isn't this John Q?" Now I need to see Coma, sounds bonkers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I tried to find more information on that 2015 thing, but it's pretty thin on the ground outside of some basic reports. There are some additional details that didn't get covered in that summary though:

quote:

Pickering said he brought the gun because he was going to kill himself if his son was going to die.

quote:

“At that point I had blinders on,” said Pickering, who admitted that he was drunk while the incident unfolded.

One of the frustrating things in situations like this is that the guy that pulled a gun on nurses and doctors while drunk and suicidal gets to ramble as much as he wants to the press, but the hospital is very limited in what they can say about the situation because of privacy concerns. They can't provide any information about the person's condition, even if would directly contradict the narrative he's sharing.

However, hospitals can't just pull the plug on people - if the son was comatose, there would be someone making healthcare decisions for him, either his spouse or his a parents, who could have actually talked to the hospital staff and probably gotten a very similar result.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Scruff McGruff posted:

Lol, my first thought was "Isn't this John Q?" Now I need to see Coma, sounds bonkers.
The movie I was thinking of was Awake.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Ashcans posted:

However, hospitals can't just pull the plug on people - if the son was comatose, there would be someone making healthcare decisions for him, either his spouse or his a parents, who could have actually talked to the hospital staff and probably gotten a very similar result.

PFF YEAH, THE OBAMA DEATH PANELS WERE MAKING THE DECISION FOR HIM! But yes, this is correct, worst case scenario the hospital could have sued to have a social worker appointed as a medical guardian for the child but this is extremely rare and takes a significant amount of time and large amounts of clear abuse or neglect on the part of the parents. I mean, we're talking about the same US healthcare system where it's a common tv show plot to have doctors lamenting the fact that some Jehovah's Witness' won't let them cure a child because they refuse blood transfusions and stuff.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I heard that Obama was planning to unplug the machine himself.

I wouldn't normally bother with RT, but they do actually have a longer article on this, that includes a mention that it was actually the mother (gundad's ex-wife) and brother who agreed to remove life support, then he disagreed and pulled a gun. Mostly it seems that he just wasn't able to actually talk to people about his reservations. I have trouble believing anyone would have argued about him wanting some additional time to see/spend with his son, but the other parties haven't apparently jumped on the news wagon to share their side. :shrug:

Also his son was 27, I only mention that because some of the articles seem happy to imply he was a child, even using old photos of the father and son.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Ashcans posted:

I tried to find more information on that 2015 thing, but it's pretty thin on the ground outside of some basic reports. There are some additional details that didn't get covered in that summary though:

One of the frustrating things in situations like this is that the guy that pulled a gun on nurses and doctors while drunk and suicidal gets to ramble as much as he wants to the press, but the hospital is very limited in what they can say about the situation because of privacy concerns. They can't provide any information about the person's condition, even if would directly contradict the narrative he's sharing.

This is also an issue when a person gets their child removed by CPS. The agency can't say much about the incident but the parent can construct this whole narrative about it, which seems to sway public opinion.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But what about gun abortions guys? Melting down a stock is ending a baby guns life. These people will support gun ownership more than their families.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Except, not.

That's what you get for going to the Jeremy Bentham Memorial Hospital, dipshit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Scruff McGruff posted:

John Q was the opposite. Denzel's kid needed a heart but a heart transplant wasn't covered by his insurance.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

seiferguy posted:

John Q was the opposite. Denzel's kid needed a heart but a heart transplant wasn't covered by his insurance.

ah, that's it. It's been a while since I've seen it, just remembered it as "dude with gun holding an entire hospital hostage".

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
seen this a lot

quote:

If he broke any laws they'd have found it by now. They started spying on him in 2016 and have been investigating him with no crime for a year.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

seen this a lot

Most federal investigations are usually at least a year long, white collar stuff usually a lot more, and the average length of a special counsel investigation is over 3 years. Do these people think that there's an AUSA pouring over FBI reports and he suddenly goes "AHA! I'VE FOUND THE ONE CRIME! ARREST HIM THIS INSTANT!"? Like, it's common knowledge that federal prosecutors love to have every single loose end of an investigation tied up before they act on any of it, that's one of the reasons why the Justice Department has like a 93% conviction rate. They also absolutely love to turn one investigation into more and they have decades of experience handling organized crime, especially in disentangling murky organization structures and cutting deals to get to higher ups, which is also stuff that takes a while. Which is also why it's funny when people say stuff like "they already got person X, why are they still digging into this? THE CASE IS CLOSED!". Anyone who thought the Mueller thing was going to be a couple months (and that was a lot of people on both sides of the isle) were just fooling themselves.

Also, lol at the people who cheered the 4 year long* Benghazi investigation(s) now insisting that we've spent way too much time/money on this Russia stuff and need to knock it off because if we haven't found anything by now then we'll never find anything.

*I think some of them are still technically open to this day

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 3, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Scruff McGruff posted:

ah, that's it. It's been a while since I've seen it, just remembered it as "dude with gun holding an entire hospital hostage".

I loved that movie but found out it has a super low rotten tomatoes score because people were upset that it has a message stating out healthcare is bad :qq:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/delusionalcons/status/991274098473996288

e: wait no this one

https://twitter.com/delusionalcons/status/989420045976653825

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Remember when one of the non zero non super racist Oath Keepers said it was wrong that police killed unarmed people and that the Oath Keepers should go side with BLM and got kicked out?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PhazonLink posted:

Remember when one of the non zero non super racist Oath Keepers said it was wrong that police killed unarmed people and that the Oath Keepers should go side with BLM and got kicked out?

he quit before they could kick him out

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

seiferguy posted:

I loved that movie but found out it has a super low rotten tomatoes score because people were upset that it has a message stating out healthcare is bad :qq:

No, it got bad reviews because it was really dumb about delivering that message.

Roger Ebert posted:

"John Q" is the kind of movie Mad magazine prays for. It is so earnest, so overwrought and so wildly implausible that it begs to be parodied. I agree with its message-- that the richest nation in history should be able to afford national health insurance--but the message is pounded in with such fevered melodrama, it's as slanted and manipulative as your average political commercial.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Scruff McGruff posted:

No John Q was him getting the hospital to give him organs. And failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The movie's message was really muddled by the fact the hospital didn't even have a spare heart for the kid and no amount of pointing guns at doctors and nurses will magically conjure up a heart that doesn't exist.

The resolution for that was some compatible stranger luckily getting in a car accident at the last moment, hooray.