Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Kibayasu posted:

It's basically the one good actual thematic moment in MGS4.

Nah, there's some good MGS4-specific stuff with PMCs - the TV advertisement for a PMC that's basically what Army recruitment commercials are now, seeing a rebel in Chapter 1 get popped as the local PMC advertisement plays on loudspeakers.

Plus, CQC hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Uh excuse me. Making Rose’s boobs jiggle with the DualShock is a very good thematic moment.

I sense another MGS4 owns/is trash discussion coming.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
MGS4 owns.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i've been replaying Rising and loving christ this game is so good

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Every Metal Gear game owns except Portable Ops which is just so-so. Note that I did not mention that....thing that Konami released a few months ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s trash.

Nah, it’s good.:ocelot:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i've been replaying Rising and loving christ this game is so good

The only bad thing about Rising is that we will never see another one

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Good soup! posted:

The only bad thing about Rising is that we will never see another one

honestly it seems like just about the only thing Konami could do other than poo poo like Survive and pachinko machines, since it wasn't solely a KojiPro thing and Platinum did the wide wide bulk of development for it

if Kamiya is still alright with working with Konami, and someone at Konami realizes this would be doable-ish, we might actually see MGR2, it'll just probably have worse writing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kibayasu posted:

Note I didn't say only good moment because both Fingerguns of the Patriots and Mount Snakemore exist.
most underrated moment is right before Mount Snakemore when Ocelot loving runs backwards while taunting Snake before hopping on Outer Haven

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Ocelot is basically my guide to living life

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everything about "Liquid" Ocelot is amazing because it's entirely how Ocelot thinks Liquid would do things.

"Would the dumb bastard make finger guns and then mime dual wielding machine guns while making ATATATATATATATATATA sounds? Yeah, probably."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think I should replay 4. The first (and only) time I played through it I rushed through it and on top of that, played it on a big rear end early HDTV that glared like loving crazy. I had an awful time with chapter 3? (the one where you are sneaking around in Prague) and I think I missed a bunch of optional poo poo because I almost literally couldn't see anything.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

To be fair, EVERYONE had a terrible time with chapter 3. It's just bad, and I'm saying that as someone who thinks that chapters 1 and 2 have some of the best gameplay of the franchise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Unreal_One posted:

To be fair, EVERYONE had a terrible time with chapter 3. It's just bad, and I'm saying that as someone who thinks that chapters 1 and 2 have some of the best gameplay of the franchise.

If 4 had even just one more chapter that was as good as chapter 1 and 2 then I think it would be my favorite game in the series.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
1 and 2 had the best gameplay but I think I was annoyed at how much they seemed to be treading water with the plot because, in hindsight, they we're saving a bunch of plot bombs and callbacks for the last half of the game. I think I would have preferred they spread that stuff out a little more.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

4 and 5 are fun too and both end in awesome boss fights.

3 is a colossal drag for 95% of it but it still has EVA's Wild Ride 2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chapter 3 is much better while you're wearing Colonel's face.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s a shame since chapter 3 is a great idea in theory. Snake sneaking around in a populated city should be something that’s fun.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SelenicMartian posted:

Chapter 3 is much better while you're wearing Colonel's face.

lol if you don't play the entire game after getting FaceCamo with Otacon's face.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Funky Valentine posted:

lol if you don't play the entire game after getting FaceCamo with Otacon's face.
lol if you don't play the entire game as PS1 Snake

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Please stop talking about MGS4 I'm starting to feel ill

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, MGS4 is pretty sick.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

perhaps it could be a case of the broke brains, but I enjoyed the hell out of sneaking around and tailing the dude while wearing the civilian disguise but I don't remember much after that

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Good soup! posted:

perhaps it could be a case of the broke brains, but I enjoyed the hell out of sneaking around and tailing the dude while wearing the civilian disguise but I don't remember much after that
Next comes a vehicle shooting section with a loading screen every thirty seconds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SelenicMartian posted:

Next comes those bomb rear end nanna titties

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Matka Pluku... Big Mama?!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SelenicMartian posted:

Next comes a vehicle shooting section with a loading screen every thirty seconds.

Those loading screens are a lifesaver on Big Boss rank runs

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
So I went back to Phantom Pain after like 2 years and am now doing some sideops as I wait for RnD to finish research.

Now, I'm noticing that the way these sideops work is just incredibly lazy. There's around 6 sideops active at any given time in Afghanistan (I think it's the same in Africa), but they are always the same ol' poo poo. The same prisoner behind the same rock, guarded by the same 5 guys, in the exact same location. The same extraordinary soldier in the same camp in the same spot waiting to be tranq'd and extracted. The tank units or armored infantry units at the very least seem to be in different locations, although the units themselves are always very similar. The zombies pose no threat whatsoever but I think you at least get that parasite gunk from them? Maybe?

So okay, fine. They've got some repetitive sideops, whatever. But now I'm reaching double digits in each category of these sideops, and they are still the same. How long does this really go on for? Am I missing something or does the game really expect me to drive around for 5 minutes across an empty map to reach an outpost to extract the same guy once again and then repeat that for tens of hours? Please tell me the sideops get even slightly more interesting if I just stick with them.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I mean, why would they? They're there if you want a reason to play some more, they're not a means to an end and there's no actual progression. It sounds like you've figured that out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gortarius posted:

So I went back to Phantom Pain after like 2 years and am now doing some sideops as I wait for RnD to finish research.

Now, I'm noticing that the way these sideops work is just incredibly lazy. There's around 6 sideops active at any given time in Afghanistan (I think it's the same in Africa), but they are always the same ol' poo poo. The same prisoner behind the same rock, guarded by the same 5 guys, in the exact same location. The same extraordinary soldier in the same camp in the same spot waiting to be tranq'd and extracted. The tank units or armored infantry units at the very least seem to be in different locations, although the units themselves are always very similar. The zombies pose no threat whatsoever but I think you at least get that parasite gunk from them? Maybe?

So okay, fine. They've got some repetitive sideops, whatever. But now I'm reaching double digits in each category of these sideops, and they are still the same. How long does this really go on for? Am I missing something or does the game really expect me to drive around for 5 minutes across an empty map to reach an outpost to extract the same guy once again and then repeat that for tens of hours? Please tell me the sideops get even slightly more interesting if I just stick with them.

The post game is either doing that or doing the online stuff, yes. Also S ranking missions and completing all tasks.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

LordMune posted:

I mean, why would they? They're there if you want a reason to play some more, they're not a means to an end and there's no actual progression. It sounds like you've figured that out.

A problem is the main missions are basically the same thing as well.

With regrettably few exceptions, nearly every mission in the game is some variation of 1. Go here (by running for five minutes through a barren open world), 2. Extract the target (sometimes you're told to eliminate the target but it is always the suboptimal choice), 3. Escape.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Ground Zeroes mission where you have to rendezvous with a contact for intel on the location of a cassette tape was way more interesting than every single TPP mission, it's a shame.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The side ops in tpp were a huge disappointment after gz and pw. GZ also had leaderboards for everything. It was rad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The main missions in PP were all pretty good but yeah, side ops were tedious and not good except for maybe a few.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

acksplode posted:

The Ground Zeroes mission where you have to rendezvous with a contact for intel on the location of a cassette tape was way more interesting than every single TPP mission, it's a shame.

All of the GZ missions were better than any TPP mission. Main GZ mission, Tape rendezvous, Eye & the Finger, anti-aircraft mission on a timer, and Raiden mission were all great.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Look Sir Droids posted:

All of the GZ missions were better than any TPP mission. Main GZ mission, Tape rendezvous, Eye & the Finger, anti-aircraft mission on a timer, and Raiden mission were all great.

Nah. The Kojima extraction mission sucks except for the fact that you're rescuing Kojima. Plus I'd say missions like Pitch Dark and Blood Runs Deep surpass all of the GZ missions except maybe the main one. But for sure I would have loved more like the GZ intel mission and more Peacewalker-esque sideops including silly ones. I learned quickly with sideops to use all the different toys in the toybox for them, but even then the lack of variety is still apparent.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Part of the issue is that the actual encounter design is fundamentally different in TPP. Almost all of the GZ levels would be infinitely easier (and less interesting) if you could just fulton away the entire map, permanently eliminating every enemy you come across without sacrificing your stealth or no-kill bonuses. And not only is this the most viable strategy in TPP, you kind of need to do it to keep making your numbers go up at MB to get to the next development level.

If instead they'd started from a similar design standpoint of 'get these one or two high value targets off the map' but extraction actually required effort it would have changed things, I think. I can't think of any moment in TPP as tense or exciting as that tape acquisition side mission in GZ where, if you play it right: you get the agent to give you bad info, have the Cipher spy come meet with him, then subdue and extract them both, and all without being spotted.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Look Sir Droids posted:

Are these missions for the console versions? Because I don't recall seeing any of this on the PC.

Also if the post-game is really just this endless tedium then I might as well stop playing and just lament on what the game could've been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It also helps that, probably due to the limited number of missions, Kaz has a lot of unique dialogue throughout depending on the order you accomplish mission tasks and if you do extra tasks/etc, whereas in TPP they literally recording Ocelot saying "That's an enemy gunship. One burst from his main cannon can rip you in half. Stay low and crawl along the ground, boss!" the one time and so you have to hear it literally every single time a gunship is within 500 feet of you.