Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well I'm still trash at this game but at least I have a couple skins now. My new strategy is to just land at the first named location the bus passes over to practice landing fast, looting, and combat. Once I land and get a gun in a location like this should I start hunting for kills right away, or get up to a roof and start building, or something else? What's the best way to get a kill or two at these kinds of spots? So far I got one by out-shotgunning someone who was probably another noob, and another just getting the drop on someone who was engaged with someone else. Second question, how big of an advantage are the better tier guns? If I have a grey shotgun and someone else has a green shotgun is that pretty much a win for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
People have different preferences on what they like.

When I do squads I like to drop to off beat locations around the map. Loot the houses, and move closer to the circle.

Dropping right off the bat is a death trap for me because if you don't get the loot you screwed.

And yeah the better weapons will obviously kill faster, but I will def pick up a grey AR any day.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

prom candy posted:

Well I'm still trash at this game but at least I have a couple skins now. My new strategy is to just land at the first named location the bus passes over to practice landing fast, looting, and combat. Once I land and get a gun in a location like this should I start hunting for kills right away, or get up to a roof and start building, or something else? What's the best way to get a kill or two at these kinds of spots? So far I got one by out-shotgunning someone who was probably another noob, and another just getting the drop on someone who was engaged with someone else. Second question, how big of an advantage are the better tier guns? If I have a grey shotgun and someone else has a green shotgun is that pretty much a win for them?

To get better at close quarters gunfighting just drop at Dusty until you're confident in your abilities. That could mean twenty times, that could mean fifty times! Hell I think I dropped there a good 25 times in a row yesterday to just be a part of the first-day madness :bubblewoop:

I've found the best strategy for getting on the ground ASAP at Dusty is to hit the deploy chute ~1.5-2.0 grid-squares away from it, so you can coast right in over the lip and hit the ground. Then grab a gun and :kingsley:

Tilted is now a completely different ballgame, though, it's weird. Two homies and I dropped there, cleared out ~6 other players then had the entire place to ourselves. Was very bizarre.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

A Man and his dog posted:

People have different preferences on what they like.

When I do squads I like to drop to off beat locations around the map. Loot the houses, and move closer to the circle.

Dropping right off the bat is a death trap for me because if you don't get the loot you screwed.

And yeah the better weapons will obviously kill faster, but I will def pick up a grey AR any day.

Yeah, based on some youtube vids I was watching I want to just keep dropping at these death trap spots. I'm not really having fun or improving by getting looted up, making top 15 without seeing anyone, and then dying in my first engagement because I suck at the core mechanics of the game.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Prom candy, you have the right idea to just drop and loot. Loot loot loot! Find a weapon and prepare to fight so you can keep looting!

You can easily win fights with inferior weapons in the opening. Once the "middle game" starts and players emerge from the landing zones, you'll want those better weapons as everyone will be at 200 health with extra shields to pop.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've still got to do the Flush Factory one, annoyingly no one has jumped over there in my last 10 games.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

prom candy posted:

Yeah, based on some youtube vids I was watching I want to just keep dropping at these death trap spots. I'm not really having fun or improving by getting looted up, making top 15 without seeing anyone, and then dying in my first engagement because I suck at the core mechanics of the game.

Same! I’ve been dropped by 80% dusty, haunted and flush. The rest of the time is retail and titled.

It’s so much easier to get better when you have lots of early fights

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i always try for kills instead of wins in solos or solo v duos. if i slow down i can get top 5 pretty easy. im looking to get better at the build fights and shotty battles.

in squads i play the try hard. my friends are good and we can stack wins if we get semi hot.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm starting to think the light machine gun is garbage...

I've straight up went threw a 160 round clip and not killed the dude building.

You def have to get a clear shot.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I like it in squads when the rest of my squad is able to focus on actually hitting the person and I just tear down walls with it and occasionally plink someone.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

I drop my shotgun for it if I get an opportunity. It hurts up close!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Asnorban posted:

I like it in squads when the rest of my squad is able to focus on actually hitting the person and I just tear down walls with it and occasionally plink someone.

:agreed:

I see it as a slightly better minigun.

Now I'm picturing a squads game where one person is just designated the minigun/LMG wielder and they just melt buildings. That'd be pretty fun, honestly!

I have a question I've been thinking about : does anyone know if the consumable crystals stack duration? Like, if it's 30 seconds(how long is it, anyway?), you pick up one, run to another one and pick it up, are you getting 30+30 seconds, or is it just resetting the timer? My guess is on the latter, but :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

:agreed:

I see it as a slightly better minigun.

Now I'm picturing a squads game where one person is just designated the minigun/LMG wielder and they just melt buildings. That'd be pretty fun, honestly!

I have a question I've been thinking about : does anyone know if the consumable crystals stack duration? Like, if it's 30 seconds(how long is it, anyway?), you pick up one, run to another one and pick it up, are you getting 30+30 seconds, or is it just resetting the timer? My guess is on the latter, but :shrug:

It either resets or I've failed spectacularly at stacking them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I marked a bunch of stuff favorite. Is there a setting I need to toggle somewhere to get it to randomize in game?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Feenix posted:

I marked a bunch of stuff favorite. Is there a setting I need to toggle somewhere to get it to randomize in game?

Yeah that gigantic arrow named “random” on the screen where you set favourites. :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah that gigantic arrow named “random” on the screen where you set favourites. :v:

Sorry, I totally didn’t even notice that. :)

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Love the crystals, much needed speed boost running through plains

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Feenix posted:

Sorry, I totally didn’t even notice that. :)

I failed to notice it at first as well. I felt pretty dumb when my eyes suddenly decided to notice the new button despite searching for it for a few minutes.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Azran posted:

How doable is hitting level 100 without spending money? I don't mind spending a bit to buy 10-15 levels but it's my first battle pass and I have no idea what to expect from it progression-wise.

It's a lot more possible if you have the battle pass. As long as you have the battle pass you get a few challenges each week with rewards of 5 or 10 stars. And you can do daily challenges, and hold up to 3 of those at one time.

It takes 10 stars to level up one battle level thing.
Each week's challenges can get you up to 50 stars which amounts to 5 battle levels if you get all of them. There are 10 weeks total so up to 50 levels just from that. The daily challenges give you 5 stars and some xp for each one you do. Some are harder than others. You can elect to remove one if it's giving you a lot of trouble and you want to free up that spot for something else. You also get some stars from leveling up. I think it's 2 from a normal level, 5 if the level ends in a 5 and 10 if the level ends in a 0.

They sold a thing in the item shop that let you skip 10 levels near the end of last season. I bought it but then it got to the end of the season and I'm pretty sure I would've been okay without it. I had a lot of trouble getting the special level 100 challenges completed though.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
You are really hosed in this game if you get unlucky and find no shields.

What is the dmg reduction with shields btw? It doesn't feel like 100 shield = 100 health.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

keyframe posted:

100 shield = 100 health.

^

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There's none.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Nullsmack posted:

It's a lot more possible if you have the battle pass. As long as you have the battle pass you get a few challenges each week with rewards of 5 or 10 stars. And you can do daily challenges, and hold up to 3 of those at one time.

It takes 10 stars to level up one battle level thing.
Each week's challenges can get you up to 50 stars which amounts to 5 battle levels if you get all of them. There are 10 weeks total so up to 50 levels just from that. The daily challenges give you 5 stars and some xp for each one you do. Some are harder than others. You can elect to remove one if it's giving you a lot of trouble and you want to free up that spot for something else. You also get some stars from leveling up. I think it's 2 from a normal level, 5 if the level ends in a 5 and 10 if the level ends in a 0.

They sold a thing in the item shop that let you skip 10 levels near the end of last season. I bought it but then it got to the end of the season and I'm pretty sure I would've been okay without it. I had a lot of trouble getting the special level 100 challenges completed though.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Oh sorry, I meant taking the Battle Pass to 100. I wasn't clear. :shobon:

Related to that, do you get the Battle Pass exp bonus from squading up with random people who have their own BPs? I'm queueing for Squad with "Fill" enabled and I was wondering if that was the case or if I have to invite them into an actual party for the bonus to kick in.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

keyframe posted:

You are really hosed in this game if you get unlucky and find no shields.

What is the dmg reduction with shields btw? It doesn't feel like 100 shield = 100 health.

Shields are essentially health in every way except in how you add health (bandages, med kit) vs add shields (shield potions or whatever). No damage reduction on shields, just an extra barrier from death. Only way to die while still having shield left is from storm damage or falling.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
poo poo yeah I got 4 kills at dusty

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Thinking of shields, did they ever fix the display bug that would occasionally show you having 1 shield when you actually had none?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

For real though? gently caress the open 7 chests at Haunted challenge.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Johnny Truant posted:

Just wait a week. It'll be a ghost town again :ghost:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

That one sucked so badly. Even when the bus was nowhere near haunted, half the players were heading there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

humpthewind posted:

Just wait a week. It'll be a ghost town again :ghost:

:colbert:

drat kids on my lawnHaunted Hills!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Finding Fortnite letters was far worse for me. The number of times I was trying to build up to one and the person would shoot me and then grab it was incredibly frustrating. I’d even gentleman’s dance at them.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
anybody on pc want to shoot mans, 'skoptsi' on epic

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yay im level 11 battle pass already, it goes by pretty fast with challenges and whatnot.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Johnny Truant posted:

easiest way to do it is to solo queue into squads no fill. Or just wait a week.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I mean you basically have until sometime in July to search 7 chests in Haunted Hills so... :eng101:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Gosh once switching between building and your shotgun clicks you can become an angel of death.
I've averaging like 7-8 kills in a good round (which is 1 in 3 where the other 2 rounds I just explode instantly) and man it feels good.
Game owns, S4 owns

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Did they change hitboxes with the Season 4 patch? Since then I've been gettin shotgun headshot oneshot a lot more where before it very rarely happened to me. Feels like either a lot of very good players have suddenly started playing or aimbotters have turned up. I know that's likely not what happened but there was a serious run of like 10 games the other day where I was just getting blown away first shot in every fight even when I was ready for them and the one making the first move.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Did they change hitboxes with the Season 4 patch? Since then I've been gettin shotgun headshot oneshot a lot more where before it very rarely happened to me. Feels like either a lot of very good players have suddenly started playing or aimbotters have turned up. I know that's likely not what happened but there was a serious run of like 10 games the other day where I was just getting blown away first shot in every fight even when I was ready for them and the one making the first move.

Yes, limb penetration around head does not result in body shot damage anymore, to summarise roughly. Patch notes have more details.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, limb penetration around head does not result in body shot damage anymore, to summarise roughly. Patch notes have more details.

Oh man, I was hoping I was just having a bad run and getting salty about it. Reading the patch notes I guess hands and arms were blocking headshots earlier during shotgun duels sometimes and that no longer happens which is fine, but the line about shots from below doing headshot damage when landing very near the head doesn't sound good to me, just sounds like it's making it easier for more people to one shot kill someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Oh man, I was hoping I was just having a bad run and getting salty about it. Reading the patch notes I guess hands and arms were blocking headshots earlier during shotgun duels sometimes and that no longer happens which is fine, but the line about shots from below doing headshot damage when landing very near the head doesn't sound good to me, just sounds like it's making it easier for more people to one shot kill someone.

Basically they encourage building but slightly improve advantage for people shooting peekers.

E:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 3, 2018