Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Noted. This is at The Wine Source in Baltimore.

Ah okay. Used to live up there. We were able to get some cases of Colossus distro here even though it's technically Illegal. Bottle shop here only charging 9-10 for a bottle which is crazy since it's 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

that's a really good beer, but I haven't had it in a couple of years. definitely not worth what they selling the cans for though.

Altamont rubbed me the wrong way with their "Make Beer Clear Again" slogan. but that's some other poo poo

Yeah, I almost bought it but then I saw the Moonraker/SARA collab "Friends Indeed". You should get some if you haven't already at City Beer.

Snack Bitch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 29, 2018

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Lt_Tofu posted:

Yeah, I almost bought it but then I saw the Moonraker/SARA collab "Friends Indeed". You should get some if you haven't already at City Beer.

I can only get out to SF every couple of months or so lately, and I don't think anywhere around me got any cans. I've heard great things about that collab though, and I believe it because the hop combo(nelson, enigma, simcoe, citra) sounds ridiculous on paper. maybe I'll find it on draft. I really just need to get up there to the brewery though, still haven't been. and now that Moksa is literally on the way up it's more appealing of a trip.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I can only get out to SF every couple of months or so lately, and I don't think anywhere around me got any cans. I've heard great things about that collab though, and I believe it because the hop combo(nelson, enigma, simcoe, citra) sounds ridiculous on paper. maybe I'll find it on draft. I really just need to get up there to the brewery though, still haven't been. and now that Moksa is literally on the way up it's more appealing of a trip.

Interesting, haven't heard of Moksa before. I will have to check it out. I have been going to SF more since O found out the Megabus stop is close to my apartment

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Went to Richmond, did an 8 mile hike, met noted forums poster funkybottoms, drank some beers, had a good weekend.

Ardent is a really good brewery. The IPL and schwarzbier are top notch.

The Answer actually makes good beer outside of the hype surrounding the Andalls. The Andalls are ridiculous and taste like melted popsicles and candy bars (so of course I bought a bunch of crowlers)

I skipped The Veil.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

internet celebrity posted:

Noted. This is at The Wine Source in Baltimore.

I live right up the street from the wine source. We do a pretty regular share there on Fridays. PM me if you’re interested.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

in summation about the beer names, brewers are really loving stupid

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

nah posted:

Or they know their audience, makes you think...

Apache
May 11, 2004

bartolimu posted:

This one. This is the one that broke me.

I love Prague and wish I could go back this year. But most of all I miss veprove koleno with a big fuckin' bowl of freshly shredded horseradish and mustard.

It looks like our Air BnB is roughly 3 blocks from U Sadu. I think we'll be definitely going there once or twice. Does anyone have recommendations for food/pubs aside from there? I know we're doing a 3 brewery tour as well as a a stop at brewery Unetice at some point, so I think we're going to skip Pilsen. We may try to hit a couple of the places Bourdain visited on No Reservations since they seem close to our rental as well.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
If you like cocktails, check out Parlour which is near the Museum metro stop. It's a tiny bar with no real signage and no real menu. The bartender asks you what you like with some follow up questions and makes you a cocktail based on those. The prices are more in line with US prices (~$8-$12) but it was a neat place (especially since we were staying in the airbnb above it).

There is a Vietnamese places down the road from U Sadu, tuan and lan bistro which is more of a take out but very good. Across from this park there is also Beer Geek which had some good local craft options.

Edit: Make use of the metro and trams. It'll save you so much time and help keep your feet from getting too sore. They're very cheap and very easy to use but make sure you properly stamp your ticket because they definitely do random checks. I was checked twice in 2 days. I think the 24hour pass was about $5?

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 4, 2018

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Absolutely go to Tuan and Lan, excellent Vietnamese food!

The pour of Urquell while underground was one of those "holy loving poo poo" beer experiences and honestly think that is a must do while out there :shrug:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

very stable genius posted:

Went to Richmond, did an 8 mile hike, met noted forums poster funkybottoms, drank some beers, had a good weekend.

Ardent is a really good brewery. The IPL and schwarzbier are top notch.

The Answer actually makes good beer outside of the hype surrounding the Andalls. The Andalls are ridiculous and taste like melted popsicles and candy bars (so of course I bought a bunch of crowlers)

I skipped The Veil.

thanks! i'm glad you all had fun and also realized that you really need to come back for a longer visit (and your s.o. being, like, shocked that we'd never met before after hanging we'd been hanging out for an hour was pretty great).

nah posted:

got back from CBC last night and, man, there are a lot of poorly-named beers and breweries (and fat white dudes) out there

Apache
May 11, 2004

air- posted:

Absolutely go to Tuan and Lan, excellent Vietnamese food!

The pour of Urquell while underground was one of those "holy loving poo poo" beer experiences and honestly think that is a must do while out there :shrug:

Does Pilsen have any other selling points? The wife likes pilsners , but since we're visiting 4 other breweries during the trip she's not thrilled with the idea of an hour train ride each way to visit a brewery.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
It's a bit more than an hour, more like two if you're doing public transport. Wish we went but really didn't have the time. Had we one more day, it would definitely have happened.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The train ride was about an hour yeah. I honestly only went to the brewery and wandered old town, but Pilsen is an industrial town becoming more known for cultural activities: old town has some architecture to see- a 13th century Gothic cathedral and one of the biggest synagogues in the world. The "Thank you America" monument. Lots of history focused museums (WW2 and some for medieval/renaissance armories)

e: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-...52-1479d276477d

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ive been really enjoying the few beers I’ve had from Singlecut, which just made its way to Ohio last month. I had some of their stuff when I was up in the Buffalo area in March, lo and behold I come back and 2 weeks later Ohio starts getting it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah , their Billy 18 Watt is just okay but there are some juice bombs out there

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone know where to get Newcastle in cans in the US? I'm told it's much better than bottled, but none of the stores around me have it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Laocius posted:

Does anyone know where to get Newcastle in cans in the US? I'm told it's much better than bottled, but none of the stores around me have it.

As in, Newcastle Brown Ale?

Don't bother, it's bad in cans as well.

Sincerely, the UK.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I've seen it at groceries just about wherever, even tried calling a good beer store or a place like Whole Foods?

And yeah brown ale is more or less a dead style these days.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Laocius posted:

I'm in Los Angeles and pretty much every grocery store that I go into has cans of it in their fridge.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't think I've willingly had a brown ale other than CCB maduro for nearly five years. It's not really a style anyone really cares about.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't think I've willingly had a brown ale other than CCB maduro for nearly five years. It's not really a style anyone really cares about.

I do. I am the one who cares about brown ales. I would give up double ipas before I give up brown ales.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

somebody design a Beer Thread gang tag

Pretty Good Palates
Certified Cicerones
some other dumb idea

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Cigar Club

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
One brewery I like to stop by after work some days has a very nice brown ale that's certainly on the lighter end of the color scale and yet also leans roastier than a lot of others I've tried. It's super nice.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
French toast brown :)
Also local one in Charlotte D9s brown sugar brown cow I think is great

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Piss Drinkers Anonymous

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Super Sassy Cicerones?

Edit: Super lovely Cicerones

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Whalez Bros
The Ole Razzle Dazzle

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Piss Drinkers Anonymous

Please :bisonyes:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trump aint the only one blasting a piss tape.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

3rding Piss Drinkers Anonymous

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

St Arnold rebranded their brown ale as Wagger ale and it's fantastic. #Brownalesmatter

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
man, dude just asked where to get something and y'all #echochamber all over him. i mean, poo poo, it's not like he asked about tips. smdh.

i was at the grocery store buying my work breakfast and lunch supplies for the week and picked up a couple of KBS bottles that literally had dust on them

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i was at the grocery store buying my work breakfast and lunch supplies for the week and picked up a couple of KBS bottles that literally had dust on them

Aged coffee stouts, amirite?!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Trump aint the only one blasting a piss tape.

In for Tape Blasters, but Piss Drinkers Anon is good too.

E: New Money Truck Chasers

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 9, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Brown ales represent. I'm partial to Leffe when I'm not looking for something super local or fancy, although Lonerider (Raleigh) makes a great one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Paraphrasing a question that came up on UK beer twitter:

If you have concerns about the state of beer culture in 2018, what are they? What do you think people ought to be anxious about?