Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think Herbert assumed that by that point we'd have significantly more powerful nukes because, you know, space travel exists. Figure that poo poo out and you can definitely create something to blow up a planet. It would also make sense if they had smaller ones for various other purposes and literally nobody just says "I want the most destructive thing that exists and give me nothing but those."

Within the setting most warfare is hinted at being secretive. Once again Cold War; proxy wars, assassinations, political bullshit, and deniable assets seem to be the order of the day. This is part of why shield warfare is the norm. The people you really wanted to kill were the nobility and you didn't do that directly for a lot of reasons. However they also had shields and were trained to find poisons and fight with knives.

The open combat on Dune was considered unusual. Then the jyhad started and everybody was going "wait, what the gently caress is this? This isn't how we do things!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It seems like the Houses also rely on professional armies instead of conscripts, so presumably open fighting also spills over into disturbing the commoners and that's also Not Done unless you're a real dick. The whole "everyone in their place" thing, ya know.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

I was reading a dune blog about that dinner party scene and I realised that this: "My son displays a general garment and you claim it's cut to your fit?" is actually a perfectly propos riposte, not a random comment to fit in the code word. That's puzzled me for like 35 years.

That blog is a great read by the way, and has a bunch of quotes from doon for a bonus.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

B R I G A D U N E

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Paul Muad'Dweeb

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Duke Leto Forevo

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. Whoeh

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dance without rhythm like no-one's watching

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Where are my feelings? I feel for no one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Defiance Industries posted:

It seems like the Houses also rely on professional armies instead of conscripts, so presumably open fighting also spills over into disturbing the commoners and that's also Not Done unless you're a real dick. The whole "everyone in their place" thing, ya know.

It's simply not Dune, old boy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Paul: "Hello, I'd like to order the biggest Jihad you have." Pause. "No, that's too big."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Butler? I hardly knew 'er!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

priznat posted:

I always wondered why they wouldn’t clone Gurney instead of Duncan so you can get that sweet mandolin action through history.

Come to think of it why didn't they ever clone Paul?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sekenr posted:

I think there's mention of the Tleilaxu doing that but their most obvious buyer can be Paul on a whim and so wasn't buying.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Paul: "Hello, I'd like to order the biggest Jihad you have." Pause. "No, that's too big."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tleilaxative

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Ok nerds, I've ordered the book. better be good

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sekenr posted:

That's in the Brian Herbert sequels. To absolutely no one's surprise, it is handled poorly.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

That's in the Brian Herbert sequels. To absolutely no one's surprise, it is handled poorly.

:monocle:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Pauul Atreides?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pauul Atreides?

Bigger Paul

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Milky Moor posted:

:golfclap:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pauul Atreides?

Paolo, actually.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

more like paolol amirite

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
My takeaway from the cloning bit was that people had learned to prize the entire organism, not just snippets of DNA. Same reason the Reverend Mothers eschewed cloning for live birth - even though you risk forming bonds with people, it's natural and doesn't require a lot of fussing with gene sequences. Since the BT were going whole hog on the genetic engineering stuff, they wanted to use "every part of the animal" so to speak. If you cloned Paul but took away, for example, his cynicism, it wouldn't be Paul anymore. So you'd probably have a weaker version who wouldn't be able to live through the Spice Agony and other things.

In the later books they start to refine their techniques to give them more control of how an organism is shaped. Still, there are hiccups and mutations the come along and make things interesting. One of the big reasons they didn't clone Paul is alluded to by Scytale in the beginning of Dune Messiah. He remarks that the BT have been experimenting with "essences" and they had created a messiah of their own already, but they had tried to push the subject to do things that went against its nature. Their creation committed suicide. Idaho says something redolent with the same meaning somewhere - Leto, maybe? - when someone tells him if he doesn't play ball they'll just replace him with another clone. He replies "Go ahead, it won't do anything I wouldn't do."

DUNE.

e.

henpod posted:

Ok nerds, I've ordered the book. better be good

If you were tempted to buy, I'm tempted to say you'll enjoy it. Here's hoping. :)

sebmojo posted:

That blog is a great read by the way, and has a bunch of quotes from doon for a bonus.

This is a good find. Thank you.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 2, 2018

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I live in a hot and dusty sort of a town, and that bit at the start of Dune where the Atreides soldiers are complaining about never having showers ever again, always makes me profoundly uncomfortable.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ornamented Death posted:

Pall.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Paul is a Twunk

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Feyd is a twank.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Dyna Soar posted:

you would think an all-encopassing AI in a highly technological society would have other ways of loving with humanity than building killer robots but hey, i'm no scifi writer

You're thinking of every episode of Black Mirror.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Paul Muad`Weed

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Dance without rhythm like no-one's watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8

You won't attract the worm.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

shai haluuuuuuuuuuuude

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How does spice smuggling even work if all travel is Guild travel? Is it just sneaking the spice through customs and onto the orbital shuttles as lower-tariff items? Jadorowski's dune was going to have space pirate ships with rad psychedelic paint jobs, which is too awesome to be inconvenienced by trivialities like space travel not working like that in Dune.

Hell, didn't he not even read the book, and just sort of skim it or read a synopsis? I seem to remember that from the documentary.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How does spice smuggling even work if all travel is Guild travel? Is it just sneaking the spice through customs and onto the orbital shuttles as lower-tariff items? Jadorowski's dune was going to have space pirate ships with rad psychedelic paint jobs, which is too awesome to be inconvenienced by trivialities like space travel not working like that in Dune.

Hell, didn't he not even read the book, and just sort of skim it or read a synopsis? I seem to remember that from the documentary.

First off heighliners are huge. No way can they pay attention to absolutely everything that goes on there.

Second off the Guild has its own secret stashes of spice so you bet your rear end they're in on the smuggling game too.

Third of spice is insanely valuable. Steal a few pounds of it and you're set for life. You can bet there are people sneaking into the storage to steal it, skimming off the top of legitimate shipments, or, you know...misplacing a box here or there.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the guild is the main buyer from smugglers

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ToxicSlurpee posted:

First off heighliners are huge. No way can they pay attention to absolutely everything that goes on there.

Second off the Guild has its own secret stashes of spice so you bet your rear end they're in on the smuggling game too.

Third of spice is insanely valuable. Steal a few pounds of it and you're set for life. You can bet there are people sneaking into the storage to steal it, skimming off the top of legitimate shipments, or, you know...misplacing a box here or there.

I don't know about the first point because I think they say in the book that it's nigh impossible to put one over on the Guild, but maybe that was a character talking and not the narrator.

The rest of what you said makes a lot of sense. In the Dune Encyclopedia the have a thing about how spice was apportioned in the empire and the Guild took a smaller share than the Emperor and the B.G. Presumably that's because of their special relationship with the spice and trying to conceal their powers from the Lansraad. The Guild permitting smuggling (maybe the Emperor knew about it too) fits in with them trying to get a bigger share, completely off the books. It's not like the stuff even gets tallied until it goes through CHOAM operatives. So like you say, a bit here, a bit there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

I don't know about the first point because I think they say in the book that it's nigh impossible to put one over on the Guild, but maybe that was a character talking and not the narrator.

The rest of what you said makes a lot of sense. In the Dune Encyclopedia the have a thing about how spice was apportioned in the empire and the Guild took a smaller share than the Emperor and the B.G. Presumably that's because of their special relationship with the spice and trying to conceal their powers from the Lansraad. The Guild permitting smuggling (maybe the Emperor knew about it too) fits in with them trying to get a bigger share, completely off the books. It's not like the stuff even gets tallied until it goes through CHOAM operatives. So like you say, a bit here, a bit there.

I forget where I read it but the Fremen had a pretty good side hustle going when it came to smuggling spice. Since Dune saw a gently caress load of traffic and anybody who wasn't a Fremen had a hard time surviving in the desert or even tracking them in any way they just got away with it. Like really, who the hell was going to stop them? Dune is a pretty big home field advantage. With something as important as spice everybody is going to be in on that smuggling game in one way or another. That's especially true for those that can't exist without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I forget where I read it but the Fremen had a pretty good side hustle going when it came to smuggling spice. Since Dune saw a gently caress load of traffic and anybody who wasn't a Fremen had a hard time surviving in the desert or even tracking them in any way they just got away with it. Like really, who the hell was going to stop them? Dune is a pretty big home field advantage. With something as important as spice everybody is going to be in on that smuggling game in one way or another. That's especially true for those that can't exist without it.

Maybe the Fremen and the Third Stage navs knew about it and that was their joke on everybody else. Fremen naibs certainly knew a good deal about offworld politics as far as they affected life in Arrakeen. Could be another reason they're so smug with non-natives.