Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Caffeine content is, I believe, largely dependent on roast. The lighter the roast, the more caffeine the coffee will have. Maybe Turkish coffee uses a darker roast. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're using 20g for espresso and 20g for turkish it shouldn't be much difference at all in terms of caffeine. Don't use scoops, use a scale.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turkish coffee typically uses darker roasts yes, but I doubt that would be a noticeable difference. It definitely feels stronger to me in a sense, but I also use substantially more coffee in a cezve than I would a single cup pour over or whatever.

Anyway, Turkish coffee is good and I miss it and you’ve reminded me to start making it again. Cardamom is pretty standard; it can also be found with no spices, or pretty much any combination of the following: cinnamon, clove, coriander, ginger, allspice, anise, mace, nutmeg, vanilla, I think I’ve seen black pepper too. Some people make it with a pinch of salt. I’ve never seen it unsweetened though. Experiment!

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I got my shipment of Brazilian thst has chocolate notes. Man this is good. I taste cherry, dark chocolate, and a bit of caramel. I roasted it to city +

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Good Chemex ratio? I use 32g coffee for 400g water.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Seems kinda high/wasteful. Most people recommend around 6% by mass for pourover.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hauki posted:

Seems kinda high/wasteful. Most people recommend around 6% by mass for pourover.

Really? All the sites I've checked use a higher water percentage than that. What would you use then?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Really? All the sites I've checked use a higher water percentage than that. What would you use then?

Higher water % would mean more water/less coffee. I generally see 1:15 to 1:18 recommended, your ratio is 1:12.5.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

Higher water % would mean more water/less coffee. I generally see 1:15 to 1:18 recommended, your ratio is 1:12.5.

Right... so should I do 480g instead, which is the 1:15 ratio and see how that comes out?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like higher concentration of coffee. I do 1:10 with my pour overs but I realize that's a bit extreme. I know some Japanese places do that though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Right... so should I do 480g instead, which is the 1:15 ratio and see how that comes out?

Or use less coffee. Just depends on how much finished product you want. I do 24g for 400g water.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I use 36g for 575g water (to serve 2), which is 6.26% to your 8%.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How long do you guys think fresh ground coffee is good for? I got a Behmor Brazen recently and it has an automatic timer, and whilst I love the idea of waking up to a pot of hot coffee every morning I'm not so sure about leaving grounds sitting out for 10+ hours overnight. I've seen a lot of different opinions with some people saying grounds start to deteriorate after 5 minutes and others saying its fine for up to 24 hours.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I lean more towards the five minute side, but why not just try it and see if you personally notice a difference. Hell if you make a little extra time one morning, you could grind for one cup the night before, then another in the morning and try them side by side if you're curious.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Scythe posted:

I use 36g for 575g water (to serve 2), which is 6.26% to your 8%.

This is pretty close to what I do, or if I'm doing one cup I use a V60 at 20g/320g. I've split that out into 30ml shot glasses or whatever once to sample each portion of the brew and while the last one or two were way milder by themselves, I think that helps balance the sum cup. All personal taste though.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Frankston posted:

How long do you guys think fresh ground coffee is good for? I got a Behmor Brazen recently and it has an automatic timer, and whilst I love the idea of waking up to a pot of hot coffee every morning I'm not so sure about leaving grounds sitting out for 10+ hours overnight. I've seen a lot of different opinions with some people saying grounds start to deteriorate after 5 minutes and others saying its fine for up to 24 hours.

Welcome friend! I grabbed a Behmor back towards the beginning of the year and it has been my go to rig Monday - Fridays and was sweating this as well. What I've discovered is that it really comes down to how freshly roasted / quality your beans are. If they're pretty fresh, it benefits you to just grind in the morning. For me living in small town Iowa, I'm not exactly rolling in brand new beans so I haven't noticed any major differences between an evening grind or the morning.

If it helps I'm using about 80g and filling up between the 6-8 cup mark.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm a big fan of Kauai Coffee and Hawaiian coffee in general. Fight me.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hey coffee thread. It's been a while since I've dabbled in the coffee world and I'm putting together a new setup. Is the Hario Skerton still the cheap manual grinder of choice or is there a better option at that price point now?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

Hey coffee thread. It's been a while since I've dabbled in the coffee world and I'm putting together a new setup. Is the Hario Skerton still the cheap manual grinder of choice or is there a better option at that price point now?

The Javapresse has better adjustment (no risk of jamming the stupid thumbscrew locknut thing and having to go at it with pliers), can't spill while grinding and is cheaper. The only downsides are that you might have to grind two batches if you're trying to make 8 cups of french press or something, and it really helps to use a funnel to load the beans in.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Has anyone had experience with the Gaggia Baby Classic/Baby Twin? Are they somewhat comparable to the classic, if you can get them for a good deal cheaper?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Clark Nova posted:

and it really helps to use a funnel to load the beans in.

I’ve found pouring the beans into the grinder from a smallish coffee mug works well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Been sitting on the De'Longhi ESAM2800 for months, waiting for my price alert to ping me telling it has dropped in price. Nabbed one for £180. Used it for the first time today and was absolutely blown away. I've been using an AeroPress for the past two years, and whilst it makes a good cup of coffee, it never really hit like a mule, it would perk me up just enough to turn me into a functional human being, but I'd only be able to get really strong caffeine kicks from coffee shops. This bean to cup machine has totally changed that, I press a button and it gives me a shot of espresso that I make a mocha with, and it's cafe quality stuff. Downed my first cup in about 5 seconds, and it was so smooth. Made a second cup and halfway through it, I realised the caffeine content is much, much higher than what I'm used to. I'm at that stage of caffeine intake where I can see light particles travelling.

I love the milk frothing attachment, it's so nice to have a milky hot coffee, cause I was always too lazy with the AeroPress to heat milk up in a pan, so I'd usually just drink luke-warm or cold coffee. 10/10, would highly recommend to people on the fence about buying it. Though I'd wait until it drops in price, £200 is what I'd happily pay. Any more than that isn't worth it imo.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 2, 2018

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Qubee posted:

. Made a second cup and halfway through it, I realised the caffeine content is much, much higher than what I'm used to.

This may be psychosomatic. Caffeine content is largely related to the amount of coffee beans used. Unless for some reason you're packing way more weight in beans into your portafitler than you were using in the Aeropress, they're likely producing similar levels of caffeine per serving. A 2oz double shot of espresso and a 4oz Aeropress, both brewed with say 18 grams of ground coffee will probably be within 10% of eachother in caffeine content. Obviously the concentration is different due to the volume, but the total amount should be fairly similar. So unless you were brewing your Aeropress with way less coffee, this is probably in your head.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that's a fair point, and it may well be. I think I have just been using poor brewing technique all these years with the aeropress, because I'd notice it every time when I'd buy coffee in town that they have a much stronger effect on me. I was probably not using enough coffee grounds in the aeropress.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
My hierarchy of Bad Coffee is as follows

McDonalds is dirt water
Tim Hortons is 50/50
Dunkins is just waterier dirt water

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

indyrenegade posted:

My hierarchy of Bad Coffee is as follows

McDonalds is dirt water
Tim Hortons is 50/50
Dunkins is just waterier dirt water

So Dunkins is underextracted dirt water.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

El Disco posted:

So Dunkins is underextracted dirt water.

Especially pertinent because I had my first Dunks back in March (Canadian visiting New England). Coffee worse than Tims but their old fashioned donuts are better.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Qubee posted:

Been sitting on the De'Longhi ESAM2800 for months, waiting for my price alert to ping me telling it has dropped in price. Nabbed one for £180...Though I'd wait until it drops in price, £200 is what I'd happily pay. Any more than that isn't worth it imo.
Delonghi makes a great super-auto. I consistently see them go 5-8 years before needing their first service, and another 5-8 after that; they're very well built and worth paying many times over what you got yours for. The slightly-better (dual-boiler instead of single) equivalent in the US is the ESAM3300 and it's usually around $530 new on Amazon, and if you're switching from buying coffee in a shop to making it at home it will pay for itself in about 4-5 months.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bizwank posted:

Delonghi makes a great super-auto. I consistently see them go 5-8 years before needing their first service, and another 5-8 after that; they're very well built and worth paying many times over what you got yours for. The slightly-better (dual-boiler instead of single) equivalent in the US is the ESAM3300 and it's usually around $530 new on Amazon, and if you're switching from buying coffee in a shop to making it at home it will pay for itself in about 4-5 months.

You seem to know your stuff, so I'm going to ask: what's the difference between a single / dual boiler system. And what differences does the ESAM4200 have over the ESAM2800?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Qubee posted:

You seem to know your stuff, so I'm going to ask: what's the difference between a single / dual boiler system. And what differences does the ESAM4200 have over the ESAM2800?

Dual boiler machines have separate boilers for the espresso grouphead and the steam wand. Single boiler units have one boiler that runs both. The two function at different temperatures so if you have a single boiler you either have to steam first, then purge the boiler to get the temp down or pull your shot first, then wait for the machine to heat the boiler up to steam temps. A dual boiler you can go back to back immediately or even do both at the same time. Dual boiler units are generally a whole lot more money and aren't too common in consumer level machines because of that price delta.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

^burtle posted:

I drink drip coffee all week just fine but lately when I've been french pressing on the weekends I get incredible throat fire / heartburn. I'm assuming it is because of the oils in the pressed coffee. Is there any lazy way to reduce this? Pouring it through a filter into my mug?

Took me a while to catch up on this thread - I'm curious about this, if you're still reading. Are you using the same type of beans each time?

Robusta consistantly does this to me. I'm fine with arabica and any brewing method unless it's a very dark roast and multiple cups consumed with lots of sugar and fat.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Qubee posted:

rockcity posted:

Dual boiler machines have separate boilers for the espresso grouphead and the steam wand. Single boiler units have one boiler that runs both. The two function at different temperatures so if you have a single boiler you either have to steam first, then purge the boiler to get the temp down or pull your shot first, then wait for the machine to heat the boiler up to steam temps. A dual boiler you can go back to back immediately or even do both at the same time. Dual boiler units are generally a whole lot more money and aren't too common in consumer level machines because of that price delta.
This, but actually most super-auto consumer machines are dual boiler; it really doesn't add much complexity or cost to an already complicated machine that runs $1-2k. Each brand usually has a budget entry-level model that's single boiler, but is otherwise identical to the next expensive model. Most consumer semi-autos are single boiler, but they also cost a lot less.

The 2800 and 4200 appear to be the exact same machine save for the external styling. I'm guessing one is a newer model that just got a facelift.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

bizwank posted:

This, but actually most super-auto consumer machines are dual boiler; it really doesn't add much complexity or cost to an already complicated machine that runs $1-2k. Each brand usually has a budget entry-level model that's single boiler, but is otherwise identical to the next expensive model. Most consumer semi-autos are single boiler, but they also cost a lot less.

The 2800 and 4200 appear to be the exact same machine save for the external styling. I'm guessing one is a newer model that just got a facelift.

Sorry, I meant to preface that I was talking about semi autos.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just bit the bullet and ordered a Baratza Sette 270W grinder, a used Gaggia Classic with the Rancilio steam wand mod, a tamper, a knockbox, some espresso cups, and a milk frothing jug. Is there anything dumb I'm forgetting that I'm gonna kick myself for not having later on?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You want a gram scale

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Been using an aeropress for years now and I've been thinking about moving to some sort of espresso setup lately. Is there a huge difference in quality between a well rated super automatic machine like a Delonghi vs buying a nice grinder and a cheapish (~$300-$400) espresso maker?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hexigrammus posted:

Took me a while to catch up on this thread - I'm curious about this, if you're still reading. Are you using the same type of beans each time?

Robusta consistantly does this to me. I'm fine with arabica and any brewing method unless it's a very dark roast and multiple cups consumed with lots of sugar and fat.

I was using different beans each time. I've gone back to aeropressing on the weekends and it has seemed to help a little bit, but I've also been tinkering a lot with my diet. Friday night is a date night so I usually wind up having a few drinks and depending on the spice level of dinner, I've wondered if that has been a factor as well. I usually sleep in on Saturday mornings too so my body is probably thrown off by all of it so I'm still experimenting.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dramatika posted:

I just bit the bullet and ordered a Baratza Sette 270W grinder, a used Gaggia Classic with the Rancilio steam wand mod, a tamper, a knockbox, some espresso cups, and a milk frothing jug. Is there anything dumb I'm forgetting that I'm gonna kick myself for not having later on?

Gram scale, a timer (or plan to use your phone), cleaning supplies (fizz, grinder tablets, group head brush, backflushing portafilter), wipedown towels, larger cups for milk drinks.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dramatika posted:

Return the W and get the Wi. The W still has had a lot of problems and I think the Wi is supposed to have fixed them.

The other suggestions for what to get are good, too.

Have fun and give yourself time to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I started oven roasting my own coffee recently; grabbed some green beans out of the discount bin from Sweet Maria's distribution center around here. It's going better than expected, but I made some cold brew out of some and there's this white, cloudy layer on the top. I looked it up (first thought was that it's mold) it seems to be solid resins coming from the beans. It's not bad but I don't think I like it, plus it grosses people out when I pull a pitcher of coffee that looks like this:

Is this a problem at all? Is there some way I can reduce this without paper filtration or painstakingly skimming everything?
My process is pretty simple, I roasted these particular beans in the oven at 550 for 10 minutes, flipping them every minute and a half. They were left to rest in the open for 12 hours, then stored in a zip bag. I ground them with a simple electric hand grinder to coarse, though a lot ended up finer with the lovely grinder I've got. After that, I threw a cup and a half in a gallon pickling jar with 2 cups of ice, 8 cups of water. 24 hours later, I get three layers: grounds at the bottom, coffee in the middle, cloudy white layer on top. This gets put through a fine metal screen filter into my pitcher. I skimmed some with a spoon last time I made this and it tasted like peanut butter. Bizarre. Not bad, but bizarre.