Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So wait, who told Diaz that Ollie spent 5 years in hell?

Oh

MY

GOD

Diaz can hear the intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

So wait, who told Diaz that Ollie spent 5 years in hell?

Oh

MY

GOD

Diaz can hear the intro.

lawl

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Diaz is actually from the future and he has the whole show on bluray

loving Quentin, never trust a another Laurel!

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Diaz is actually the real Thinker.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

He may have not been a great motivational leader but Diggle's argument sounds really hollow considering the bad guys he was able to take down. He was a dick that got results, Diggle made it sound like he was a dick that just got a bunch of people killed for no reason.

Considering almost everyone who's either related to Ollie or in team Arrow has at one (or more) points been killed or put in a coma, I don't think it's unreasonable to look at a broader definition of victory. This is basically the foundation of every buddy cop movie ever.

"You're a loose cannon Ollie! You're going to get people killed!"

"Yeah, but I get results!"

Also, part of the problem with trying to diagnose a fight is that they are emotional, and people in them don't always make strong points but are still invested in them. Team Arrow have lost a lot of people over the years, so there realistically would be a lot of unresolved tension just waiting to explode. Diggle may be complaining about losing the hood, but that may have been the focal point for the culmination of Vigilante being killed (losing another ally, even one he's not that close to), Dinah splitting from the team (who had his back when he was in need, and now he has a debt he can't repay), and his injury at the hands a villain that Ollie created that he's been trying to work around.

These are issues that stem from Ollie, small things that you might push to one side when your leader is results-focused, but would build up over time. And when the tipping point is reached, all sorts of things get hurled around, because there's no one thing that's the true core issue. If they had properly built up this tension, the fight itself would have worked fine in my opinion. The team is imploding, Diggle is hurting, and Ollie is just being a self-centred rear end and making things worse, because it's all about the mission. But because Diggle just explodes seemingly from nowhere, it makes him seem totally unreasonable and Ollie is back in the right.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Evil Laurel how are you scared of Diaz? This better be another con. Just scramble his brains like you did with Vigilante.

*Oliver takes down Diaz in a fist fight*

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HE'S NOT HUMAN INSIDE I'M A POWERFUL META BUT THIS GUY SCARES ME"

The legend of Diaz continues to grow

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ubik_Lives posted:

Considering almost everyone who's either related to Ollie or in team Arrow has at one (or more) points been killed or put in a coma, I don't think it's unreasonable to look at a broader definition of victory. This is basically the foundation of every buddy cop movie ever.

"You're a loose cannon Ollie! You're going to get people killed!"

"Yeah, but I get results!"

It's a core component of the show and literally the backbone of the argument Diggle and Cisco have over who would win in a fight, a philosophy that Diggle 100% subscribed too. Especially since he spent his career outside of Team Arrow not actually accomplishing anything good because he was being used and duped by people in power. I get Dig having a changing attitude or feelings but again the show did a bad job of setting anything up.

And it's not like the contrasting show Flash shows Mr. Nice Guy Barry having a better track record in regard to the lives of the people around him either

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 27, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm also confused why The Outsiders were super cool with Diggle and thanked him for his "I don't approve of the things you did but I'm sorry for the part I played" apology when it was basically the same one Oliver gave to them in the apartment that they turned their nose up at.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was expecting the Argus officer to be on Diaz's payroll. Because he's so powerful and rich he owns even off the books black ops government organizations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I legit thought Diaz was supposed to be this untouchable fist fighter in the ring which is how he rose through the ranks and survived all those years. But Oliver had him on the ropes and his Quadrant plan consisted of having Laurel sound blast everyone everywhere they went

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

WhyteRyce posted:

I legit thought Diaz was supposed to be this untouchable fist fighter in the ring which is how he rose through the ranks and survived all those years. But Oliver had him on the ropes and his Quadrant plan consisted of having Laurel sound blast everyone everywhere they went

Part of Diaz' plan is to lull you into a sense of overconfidence from laughing at his mediocrity. He's already won.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm also confused why The Outsiders were super cool with Diggle and thanked him for his "I don't approve of the things you did but I'm sorry for the part I played" apology when it was basically the same one Oliver gave to them in the apartment that they turned their nose up at.

the writers are awful

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed that episode and actually think the season's ending relatively strong. Just a shame they couldn't have found a better way to get here.

WhyteRyce posted:

I think that's easily enough explained as them seeing Oliver as the real problem and Diggle just being middle management who got caught in the middle and is apologizing for it. Plus its just easier to forgive people when the actual cause of conflict is removed. Oliver wanted them to get back in line and continue to take orders from him despite them not reaching any mutual resolution about their team problems. Even when they were gone from the team he's still basically in "this is my city, you act at my behest" mode he's always been in with other vigilantes. That stuff isn't mixed up in Diggle's apology.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
A season of infighting based around interesting villans-of-the-week, a gradual deterioration of the city, and Diaz being revealed as the mastermind culminating in the episode from his pov could have been alright. Having him be a dweeb and then all the Laurel stuff has been less ok.

Has Diggle ever even mentioned buying his steroids from Diaz? What was the point of that and why would Diaz ever be on the ground moving that veeeeeery specific product?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The steroid thing was presumably partially to introduce Diaz and partly to set up something for Oliver to be justifiably mad at Diggle about when they fight. And I guess a reason for the Hood to keep swapping places.

In hindsight it definitely feels like something that should have been cut. Diaz wasn't well introduced and Diggle and Oliver could have fought over him hiding his injury or million other things. And really the whole hood swapping storyline was probably more excess that could have been tossed since in the end even Diggle acknowledged it was perfunctory to his overall problems with being Oliver's sidekick.

This season definitely needed at least one more draft review to cut the fat and consolidate stories.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly I think these shows need fewer episodes. Like the amount Legends has. Black Lightning probably could have used a couple more episodes because that finale had a lot of things that felt rushed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bentacos posted:

Honestly I think these shows need fewer episodes. Like the amount Legends has. Black Lightning probably could have used a couple more episodes because that finale had a lot of things that felt rushed.

Cutting all the CW comic shows to 16 would be great, less filler bullshit in the end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bentacos posted:

They didn't know if they were getting a second season until months after they'd finished shooting, so they had to write and film an episode that could function as a series finale in case the CW did something like pull a Moonves and just cancelled them out of spite. Luckily Black Lightning turned out to be a mega hit for the network so next year they'll probably be a lot more confident about sticking the landing on the finale.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

bentacos posted:

I agree, though Legends is absolutely the king and should be given as many episodes as possible.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
All the good will last week's episode built for Diaz kind of fizzled out for me this week when everyone continued to be terrified of a convincingly mortal man.

Like, you could ascribe some psychology to why Laurel is subservient to someone she's mistaken for an invincible monster, but the dude survives half his episodes on the field through sheer bad decision making on the heroes' part. Oliver could have shot him down the first time they met, like he does to every faceless thug of the week. They could have caught him after they put him on their radar early in the season, but trained soldier Diggle lost his temper and lost him. Laurel is so much more powerful than him that he uses HER to get what he wants, and Oliver only lost this week because Diaz brought a knife to a fist fight (not a bad scene in and of itself). He doesn't have the sick family threats and insurances in place that Chase did, so there's really no reason why someone can't just put him down when they have a chance, but nah, people are just scared or uncooperative with each other.

It's not great that it feels less like Diaz is dangerous than it does like the protagonists have hung themselves with their own rope by being unlikable fools. I couldn't get invested in Rene and Diggle's moments here because everything bad that's happened to them this season was their own or each other's fault - Rene got shot because Diggle hid an injury; Diggle lost control/trust of the team because he bought drugs off Diaz; Rene got put in the hospital because he went at Oliver with an axe after he was told to stand down. Rene accepting Diggle's apology and talking about his PTSD rings hollow after he rebuked Oliver for CORRECTLY acting on a traitor in the team. Which, to his minute credit, Oliver should have confronted that problem by being more direct like he was last season instead of reverting back to the same character arc I feel like he's gone through four times already.

Maybe that's the point. The situation only gets this bad because everyone involved in Team Arrow has made consistently bad decisions for six years straight, and Diaz is what happens when you make your own blind spots.

Sometimes, I have a hard time deciding if this show is frustrating or fascinating. I'm leaning the former right now, but I want to see if they can thread the needle and rehab a single of one these characters by the season finale. Either way, since Thea's gone, I feel like I can finally stop watching after that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else notice that they were trying to position Diaz as kind of like TDKR's Bane? Just how he tried to do the whole "darkness" speech but it just doesn't really work.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else notice ... Diaz ... it just doesn't really work.

Boiled it down for you, it’ll save some bytes for the dead and dying forums

Cran
Mar 23, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else notice that they were trying to position Diaz as kind of like TDKR's Bane? Just how he tried to do the whole "darkness" speech but it just doesn't really work.

I forgot about that. It was ripped straight out of DKR and had me in stitches.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
What all these shows need is less season-long villains. Like, 4 villains for 6 episodes each would mean less LOSE LOSE LOSE every week for the heroes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

superLINUS posted:

What all these shows need is less season-long villains. Like, 4 villains for 6 episodes each would mean less LOSE LOSE LOSE every week for the heroes.

I mean, Arrow already does this, doesn't it? We thought Cayden James was the bad guy for a while, it's only been the last couple months that we found out Diaz is behind everything and has already won. I think most seasons have had at least one or two other minor villains (Cutty? Bullet Tooth Tony?) that are dealt with before the action shifts to the amazing mastermind who's always one step ahead.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arrow rather likes a bifurcated season structure.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just read an article that said that Blackthorne isn't renewing his contract for season 7. The Quentin Lance pain train is finally reaching the station.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe he's joining the Legends!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GoneRampant posted:

I just read an article that said that Blackthorne isn't renewing his contract for season 7. The Quentin Lance pain train is finally reaching the station.

He's going out in a creepy murder-suicide with evil Laurel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's going out in a creepy murder-suicide with evil Laurel.

Good thing we have a spare!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Mick gonna offer him a beer every episode

Mick gonna throw a beer and bacon party for the crew

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

God I hope so, he is a great actor. Shame Arrow hasn't done much with him but put him through the wringer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Good thing we have a spare!

How many assholes Laurels we got on this ship show anyhow?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

How many assholes Laurels we got on this ship show anyhow?

Do you think Katie Cassidy gets a bonus if two or more Laurels appear in one episode?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

omg how did I miss that I even checked to be sure fml

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

Casting Spoiler

Paul Blackthorne is out after this season

LoL come on KM, we're already talkin about that.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

LoL come on KM, we're already talkin about that.

It's a long story but FML sums it up just let me wallow in my shame

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Arrow thread don't give a drat bout no spoilers, we just want the pain to end.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Keep him as mayor, just have him show up every now and then and mention that someone has been droppin' bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Arrow thread don't give a drat bout no spoilers, we just want the pain to end.

Agreed.

My flash contact texted me the news, so I thought it was inside info not that it was already reported. I skimmed the new postd to check and didn't see spoilers or a link so I thought I had some breaking news but I flew too close to the sun