Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jizz Festival posted:

Indie games mostly suck so would it really be that much of a loss?

On Metacritic, Celeste is the 3rd highest-rated Switch game to date, behind BotW and SMO, so uhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jizz Festival posted:

Indie games mostly suck

not as much as non-indie games

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I imagine. I never played Lumines, nor have I played any of the ports I plan on getting so it's cool to be trying new/old content.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Jizz Festival posted:

Celeste, Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, Steamworld Dig 2, Axiom Verge, Fast RMX, Yooka-Laylee, Golf Story, Snipperclips, Night in the Woods, Shantae, Minecraft, Blossom Tales

- A selection of indies I have on my Switch, not all of them, just the ones that I could think of without looking. Some true poo poo-tier games, amirite? :rolleyes:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
indie games are dope

many of em feel like Super Nintendo Games but with modern polish, which is more than I've ever wanted out of life tbh

I'm currently back on that darkest dungeon train, what a satisfying and engaging little game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jizz Festival posted:

AAA games mostly suck too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
celeste was good out of that list at least

fortunately I can own all those games on my pc (where people can also pirate games so I don't understand why switch piracy/"homebrew" kills those indie games if they are still putting them on PC)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I imagine. I never played Lumines, nor have I played any of the ports I plan on getting so it's cool to be trying new/old content.

One thing to warn you is Lumines is a puzzler that demands considerable time investment every single run that you do. Its not a bite size puzzle game, every time you sit down youre in for a long haul.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Earth Atlantis is a fun little side scrolling shooter.

The art design is very pretty and I'm glad I gave it my money.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

fortunately I can own all those games on my pc (where people can also pirate games so I don't understand why switch piracy/"homebrew" kills those indie games if they are still putting them on PC)

It's just a thing with the nintendo crowd, it's been that way since I first started mucking about in lovely gamefaqs boards over 15 years ago (gently caress i've wasted my life)

the besmirchment of nintendo is serious business!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barudak posted:

One thing to warn you is Lumines is a puzzler that demands considerable time investment every single run that you do. Its not a bite size puzzle game, every time you sit down youre in for a long haul.

That's good to know. I love playing puzzle games before going to bed, Picross 3D was for a longtime my go-to until I beat it. They take my mind of things and let me focus on one thing until I'm tired enough to fall asleep. So this sounds perfect, and the at least that one song is chill enough to zen and zone me out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

Not if u suck at it :(

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

KingSlime posted:

indie games are dope

many of em feel like Super Nintendo Games but with modern polish, which is more than I've ever wanted out of life tbh

I'm currently back on that darkest dungeon train, what a satisfying and engaging little game

It's not 2004 where indie games were niche titles like Alien Hominid. Indies are a major part of any platform and enjoyed by casual players due to the ease of digital distribution.

It's not unusual for mid-range Indie games to sell upwards of six figures and for top performing indies to outsell titles from a typical Japanese publisher. It's helped fixed a lot of drought issues that used to plague Nintendo systems in the past.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

I mostly only "pirate" TV shows nowadays because it's a gigantic pain in the rear end to watch them on my schedule otherwise, with them being fragmented across a dozen or more separate pay services.

Why don't you just buy them on Amazon? Don't most shows go up for purchase as episodes air or come included with a channel subscription? I know Westworld goes up on Amazon as it airs and you can watch it with an HBO subscription or then buy them a while after the season is done.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/991777564967354368?s=21

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh, great. *throws away Xbox360 controller*

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Whats the best way to connect these to the PC? I guess I could just use a bluetooth dongle?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Lobster posted:

Snipperclips, Shantae, Minecraft

- A selection of indies I have on my Switch,
Are these three actually indies? Snipperclips was published (and presumably bankrolled by) Nintendo. Shantae was a Kickstarter, yes, but the series has been around for 16+ years with WayForward paying the bills through traditional contract work. Minecraft may have started as an independent game but it's been effectively owned by Microsoft for years.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I just tried Steam out, and discovered for the first time that the Pro Controller's home button can light up. Steam is the only thing that's ever made it do that!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

eonwe posted:

Whats the best way to connect these to the PC? I guess I could just use a bluetooth dongle?

Yeah.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I just tried Steam out, and discovered for the first time that the Pro Controller's home button can light up. Steam is the only thing that's ever made it do that!

The right Joycon has an indicator LED too, but Nintendo doesn't use it for anything yet :shrug:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wtf this sounds like some schoolyard rumor poo poo

Nintendo better not be holding out on me

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are these three actually indies? Snipperclips was published (and presumably bankrolled by) Nintendo. Shantae was a Kickstarter, yes, but the series has been around for 16+ years with WayForward paying the bills through traditional contract work. Minecraft may have started as an independent game but it's been effectively owned by Microsoft for years.

You can make arguments for Snipperclips and Minecraft, but WayForward is more definitely an indie gaming company with Shantae being their main series. Nintendo classifies Mighty Switch Force, the other "big" WayForward franchise, as a "Nindie."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Steam can even use the gyro aiming.:eyepop:

I think I’m ready to finally get a Pro Controller again. Are there any good guides on opening it up to make the dpad not poo poo?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you don't mind the cord, USB is actually a really good way to do it, because once you're done playing on PC you can just disconnect and the Pro will still be synced to your Switch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Wayforward is indie then the word has truly ceased to have any meaning other than "not AAA"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're not funded by a publisher, so they're independent.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If Wayforward is indie then the word has truly ceased to have any meaning other than "not AAA"

That's what it's meant for like the last 3 years yah

There are AAA games, there are indie games, and there are Japanese games. That's it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

squirrelzipper posted:

Dear Switch thread - I am looking for a super chill game to play on my commute when I’m too sleepy to explore Hyrule or string bayo 2 combos. I’ve never played Harvey moon but someone suggested Stardew Valley as a good chill no stress game. I can’t find a thread for it presumably it’s buried cause it’s old and out for every platform so: is it good on switch and what’s comparable? Like other than harvest moon which I’ve never played.

TIA

e; also it’s the opposite of chill but drat I wish dwarf fortress could work on this

Here is the link to the thread. I have it bookmarked but I haven't popped in since it launched on Switch. I assume the recent flurry of activity is due to co-op being in beta on Steam.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530059

That said, you should get the game. It's worth it. very chill, good tunes, oodles of charm, light dungeon crawling and fun farm management.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Word of warning, the early Switch Pro Controllers apparently have a wonkey D-Pad that mixes a left or right input with an up input, something about how it's seated in there or something. Apparently this is fixed with the Xenoblade themed ones. Someone probably knows more than I do.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RuBisCO posted:

SWERY's new game The Good Life just got its funding and has a new stretch goal for a Switch port at 800k.

So like, please back it, cause I want that.

I look at stuff like this and I don't understand why anyone wants it for any system

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Huh, I may actually get a pro controller when my 360 pad finally bites it.

edit: There's no way to use joycons with steam yet, right?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Anyone with a magic-ns wanna see if they can get joycons to work?

THE loving MOON posted:

I believe the magic-ns converts them to a 360, but I'm wondering if with this you can choose to configure it as a pro.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BattleMaster posted:

I look at stuff like this and I don't understand why anyone wants it for any system

He makes quirky games unlike any other. Watch gameplay footage of Deadly Premonition or D4 and you’ll see why people want this game.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

man nurse posted:

Word of warning, the early Switch Pro Controllers apparently have a wonkey D-Pad that mixes a left or right input with an up input, something about how it's seated in there or something. Apparently this is fixed with the Xenoblade themed ones. Someone probably knows more than I do.

It's also possible to open it up and put a little tape over the contacts to help with the problem. The Xenoblade ones are more fixed than that because there's also an issue with how the plastic d-pad sits in there, but the tape thing seems to help.

I haven't bothered with my original and Splatoon pro controllers yet because I haven't really noticed the problem. I do mostly use the stick though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Beastie posted:

Here is the link to the thread. I have it bookmarked but I haven't popped in since it launched on Switch. I assume the recent flurry of activity is due to co-op being in beta on Steam.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530059

That said, you should get the game. It's worth it. very chill, good tunes, oodles of charm, light dungeon crawling and fun farm management.

Thanks - bought and installing. I AM NOW FARMER FEAR ME!

e; omfg there’s fishing?

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 2, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

squirrelzipper posted:

Thanks - bought and installing. I AM NOW FARMER FEAR ME!

Did this post land through a wormhole to 2001?

I got extremely internet 1.1 vibes from it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

eonwe posted:

Unlike past Nintendo controllers, you can literally just sync it with bluetooth and play without any third-party software needed.
It already worked fine as a controller but Steam officially supporting it will probably be helpful for certain games.
Just remember to charge it between sessions, you can't connect on PC while charging

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Did this post land through a wormhole to 2001?

I got extremely internet 1.1 vibes from it

Hey gently caress you im old im allowed.

e; I mean 2001 was ok - we could race in Mario Kart if you wanna?

e2; ok so how do I min-max this farm game?

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

THE loving MOON posted:

There is but it requires more intermediary work and is a bit of a headache. The joycons can individually be connected as controllers, but you either have to:
1. Be able to rebind literally everything on a per-game basis and have it support using "multiple controllers" at the same time (since you have to rebind "up" on the right joycon to left, "up" on the left joycon to right, etc), or
2. Have an intermediary program that captures the input from both joycons and interprets the input as a single XInput controller.

I had ControllerMate for my macbook from back when I was filling it with emulators and platformers for business trips and was able to set up a profile for dual joycons without too much headache. I can't attest to anything similar/good on Windows.

• Locked thread