Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

Watching these old seasons again, Michelle used to be much nastier and she'd get these weird vendettas about specific aspects of people's drag. I think Adore leaving All Stars 2 was a reality check for her in terms of learning to accept people's unique charms. She's a lot more chill these days and it's a real improvement.

She was still pretty vicious towards Dusty Ray Bottoms this season, but on the other hand, Dusty turned it out the following week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Mouse Dresser posted:

I just got tickets to Trixie’s show in May. It’s my first time seeing any of the drag race queens post-drag race, I hope it’s a good show.

Has anyone seen the Moving Parts show?

I saw her do it in Ptown last september. If the core of the show is the same, that's good. My sides hurt from laughing so hard.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

One of the immediate things that sold me on Dragula and the Boulet Brothers was when they made very clear before critiques that their remarks were a reflection on the quality of the outfits and performances, not anyone’s particular style or quirk.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oooh boy I forgot how hard bendela bombed on the stand-up challenge. Laganja is exactly as irritating as I remember though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

Oooh boy I forgot how hard bendela bombed on the stand-up challenge. Laganja is exactly as irritating as I remember though.

an all-time great season for untucked tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

alf_pogs posted:

an all-time great season for untucked tho

Oh ya. Everyone is like extra double mint on

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Just started watching season 5 again two. Left at the bus stop kills me every time.

I also cannot staaaaand Alaska. Officially.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zelah posted:

Just started watching season 5 again two. Left at the bus stop kills me every time.

I also cannot staaaaand Alaska. Officially.

Heresy

(queue fifty people telling me about a video of Alaska meeting Obama and calling him the n word.)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

It’s the whining and the speech cadence and the offering to bribe her way through AS2. She trash.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zelah posted:

It’s the whining and the speech cadence and the offering to bribe her way through AS2. She trash.

Oh man my voice would make you insane.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've been revisiting BeBe's run on AS3, and "I'm pussy bitch" et al. have finally wormed their way into my internal monologue. I need to work with younger people, so I could actually get away with using them in my daily conversation.

She might have been my 5th pick for who should win, but drat did she create some legendary moments.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

new preview is up!

http://www.vh1.com/news/357477/rupauls-drag-race-season-10-snatch-game-preview/

vixen still cool.

monique heart gettin the ball rolling on the conversation about $$$ and drag is good. i think michelle got a bit of fire one season when she told someone that money should never be an excuse, but god drat, clothes maketh the man into the lady, sometimes. anywho monique gets a big talking head immediately before the cut so maybe she'll be tops or bottoms this week.

reading mini-challenge is a bit underwhelming, especially after asia's amazing reads in previous episodes. cracker's aquaria read is loving brutal. eureka's win is, well, fine. nobody really clearly outshone her.

and then we're led into SnAtCh GaMe, with the debatedly-problematic bianca del rio! huzzah! i really really like that they're bringing back Drag Race alumns to 'coach' the girls. it's a cool development in the show that i hope they keep. alyssa as the dance coach, bianca as a snatch game mentor. bring out kim chi and naomi smalls for some free concept look tuition!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

alf_pogs posted:

i really really like that they're bringing back Drag Race alumns to 'coach' the girls. it's a cool development in the show that i hope they keep. alyssa as the dance coach, bianca as a snatch game mentor. bring out kim chi and naomi smalls for some free concept look tuition!

Should've had Rebecca Glasscock on to critique their denim.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

gandlethorpe posted:

Should've had Rebecca Glasscock on to critique their denim.

They did, but she spent the entire time there fixing her wig and didn't end up even meeting any of the queens.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think Aquaria and Eureka are really gonna struggle with Snatch Game.

Aquaria is rather socially awkward and it will be a miracle if she's funny or interesting.

Eureka can do exactly one character really well: Eureka. Catsuit, hairloaf, fat jokes. Honestly I'm ready for her to go, she doesn't really bring anything to the table for me. Except DINNER lol it's a fat joke.

edit: also I'd say I'm getting really tired of the same predictable outfits from Aquaria, Eureka, Blair (RIP), and somewhat Cracker and Kameron. They all have a brand and serve the same silhouette and aesthetic every week and it's getting boring.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 2, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

edit: also I'd say I'm getting really tired of the same predictable outfits from ... Kameron

i agree with you on the others but kameron's been a delightful surprise every week. when ross said he wanted to see "more looks" from kameron i did not understand what the heck he was talking about

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk if that was bad wording or editing but I think Ross meant looks are all Kameron continues to be good for?

Maybe?

idk. Ross hasn't been on every week judging, either, maybe he missed Kameron's more crazy runways.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

esperterra posted:

idk if that was bad wording or editing but I think Ross meant looks are all Kameron continues to be good for?

Maybe?

idk. Ross hasn't been on every week judging, either, maybe he missed Kameron's more crazy runways.

This does bring up an interesting problem with that kind of critique. I feel like Ru or Michelle are the only judges that can really read a queen for being samey in their looks, since they're the only ones who see them week in, week out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

This does bring up an interesting problem with that kind of critique. I feel like Ru or Michelle are the only judges that can really read a queen for being samey in their looks, since they're the only ones who see them week in, week out.

They need a 3rd constant again and I wish it was just Ross instead of a rotating seat for him and Carson. It does suck when Ru and Michelle are the only people who see every runway.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Before I moved to NY and in with my (now) wife, we were talking about shows we each liked. She said she loved RPDR and I said that I could either go play a game or sit next to her and read a book while it was on since I had never watched and didn't care.

But that was Bianca's season and I got hooked immediately. Then I got to see her live and I laughed for 45 minutes straight to the point my face hurt. She's an insult comic for sure, and some of those insults were towards PEOPLE LIKE ME yet somehow I managed to not be offended and saw it as a joke, part of an act. Nothing she said took any of my rights away, belittled me or made me feel "less than". I'm not saying that no one should feel any of those things because your feelings are your feelings and they are valid (legit - I'm not trolling or being sarcastic).

Anyway since then I have seen every season, watch Untucked and pay close attention to this thread. My friends think it is weird I like this show but I REALLY like it and I can't imagine having to go through what Drag Queens have had to endure.

Thanks for listening to my TED Talk on BDR

PS - Hurricane Bianca was terrible and I watched it all the way to the end anyway.

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 2, 2018

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

It was better than Cherry Pop at least

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

Before I moved to NY and in with my (now) wife, we were talking about shows we each liked. She said she loved RPDR and I said that I could either go play a game or sit next to her and read a book while it was on since I had never watched and didn't care.

But that was Bianca's season and I got hooked immediately. Then I got to see her live and I laughed for 45 minutes straight to the point my face hurt. She's an insult comic for sure, and some of those insults were towards PEOPLE LIKE ME yet somehow I managed to not be offended and saw it as a joke, part of an act. Nothing she said took any of my rights away, belittled me or made me feel "less than". I'm not saying that no one should feel any of those things because your feelings are your feelings and they are valid (legit - I'm not trolling or being sarcastic).

Anyway since then I have seen every season, watch Untucked and pay close attention to this thread. My friends think it is weird I like this show but I REALLY like it and I can't imagine having to go through what Drag Queens have had to endure.

Thanks for listening to my TED Talk on BDR

PS - Hurricane Bianca was terrible and I watched it all the way to the end anyway.

i think season 6 is the best "first time watching RPDR" seasons. bianca is such a clearly entertaining personality and gives great talking heads, but there''s a superstar cast around her - gia gunn, milk, ben DLC, adore, courtney. trinity k bonet has her weird forced redemption arc, there's the great drama with laganja, and rob schneider joslyn fox really rounds the cast out. it might not have a gang of beautiful mean girls conspiring against a squad of misfits, or the delicious rivalry of sharon and phiphi, but god damnit it's good tv.

while i kill time for tomorrow's episode here's my power rankings:

toot: s3, s4, s5, s6
boot: s2, s7, s8, s9
bless: s1

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

alf_pogs posted:

rob schneider joslyn fox

Rude. :v:

I agree, I still think S6 was the best season that they've had.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

alf_pogs posted:

toot: s2, s3, s4, s5, s6, Thailand
boot: s7, s8, s9
bless: s1

I have made some slight changes to your rankings but overall, save for one glaring omission, they are solid.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Pinwiz11 posted:

Rude. :v:

I agree, I still think S6 was the best season that they've had.

S6 was what made the show explode in popularity, and was also the season I started on, so I agree.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

I have made some slight changes to your rankings but overall, save for one glaring omission, they are solid.

Thailand is a Shoot

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

To borrow from my Pro Wrestling ratings:

RuPaul's Drag Race Season #BOOTY Ratings (More #BOOTY, More Fun!)

S1: #BOO
S2: #BOOT
S3: #BOO (I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hated all that Heathers nonsense)
S4: #BOOTY
S5: #BOOTY
S6: #JOJO
AS1: #BO
S7: #BO
S8: #BOO
S9: #BOOT
AS2: #BOOT
Thiland: n/a but I expect it would be BOOTY or JOJO if I had time to watch it

Of course, all of those could change tomorrow if I did it again.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

smdh at not giving 2 and 3 the full booty

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i respect your love for 4 and 5 tho so we cool, they are 2/3 tier for me all four of those seasons are peak RPDR/Untucked

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

esperterra posted:

smdh at not giving 2 and 3 the full booty

#BOOT is perfectly respectable, I just put S2 on a lower tier than 4-6. And S3, that's just my take. I know it was a good season, but I don't look back on it fondly.

esperterra posted:

i respect your love for 4 and 5 tho so we cool, they are 2/3 tier for me all four of those seasons are peak RPDR/Untucked

:glomp:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I hope that we can all agree S7 and AS1 were the shittiest. S7 for having a lot of lackluster queens* and way too many acting challenges, AS1 for the stupid format.

*lol Pearl

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 3, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I hope that we can all agree S7 and AS1 were the shittiest. S7 for having a lot of lackluster queens and way too many acting challenges, AS1 for the stupid format.

strong agree. s7 i find really frustrating because there's a lot of cool elements in there, but it never comes together and gently caress the challenges are so forced. but i'll be a Pearl fan until the end of time. gently caress the haters, sleepwalk forever baby

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Honestly I think S7 had great queens stuck in a poo poo season.

I enjoy rewatching it more than I do 8 tbqh.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

Honestly I think S7 had great queens stuck in a poo poo season.

I enjoy rewatching it more than I do 8 tbqh.

i just re-looked at the cast list and hell you're not wrong. i forgot how much i love Miss Fame.

max, jasmine masters, mrs kasha davis, trixie, kennedy d, katya... hot drat

urgh then i remembered you also get Kathy Griffin screaming 'MORE GAY' at two of the queens as part of her weird unhelpful mentoring session. that made me feel very anti-kathy griffin, which i don't like

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I think you can split the show into eras:

Figuring out what worked
S1
S2
S3
The golden age where they knew what worked and storylines weren't quite set in stone yet
S4
S5
S6
Time to get a Grammy with ~feels~
S7
S8
AS2
S9
AS3
Wait what everyone wants is drama apparently
The S9 reunion episode
S10

AS1 is a weird freak because it belongs in the dumpster I guess the figuring out what worked catagory but comes after S4.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I unironically enjoy AS1, but only because it had the best cast of any season and it's impossible to not enjoy them interacting, even with how loving boring Untucked was after Mimi left in episode one. It is a hot loving mess garbage fire tho and should just be redone w/o Chad.

It was the last season to have an 'on the street' thing too, wasn't it? I miss when the show wasn't well known enough yet/social media wasn't such a huge thing, they could still have the queens go out in public and make fools of themselves. That season had a great cast and some decent challenges but holy fuuuuuuck the team twist was a loving CHOICE.

I'd still rather rewatch it than season 8 or 9 tho ...........

Jesus Christ I'm so salty they blew their load on AS1 with so many iconic queens going to waste.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Justice demands that most of that cast returns due to getting dryfucked by the format, but also as appreciation for participating in a poorly concealed coronation vehicle for Chad Michaels. Who the hell would say no to more Latrice on their tv anyway?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

poo poo I just want an excuse for more Tammie Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQYkY8hIlU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

snatch game tonight!!

i really hope tonight's the night Cracker or Monique gets the win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I kinda want to see Kameron own it.

• Locked thread