Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
welp pack it in, this game's officially bad like xcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Omar_Comin posted:

Here. Two things to notice for all of the goons in the well struggling with the Miner Mission.

1) The first mission objective is to destroy the generator to eliminate the turrets. How you are missing this is part of a larger problem.

2) This person in the video below kills the turrets in Round 2 without taking any damage at all. "It's faster and less damaging blah blah", gently caress outta here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fvmmq2oWA

The guys in that vid did exactly what I said and went up the road and shot the generator instead of going around the mountain so thanks for proving my point I guess?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Threw this together, it's kind of crappy.

:perfect:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

It's a shame bulwark is mandatory mid-late game. Glitch was becoming my favorite pilot but she's effectively useless now if I don't have vigilance because she just gets utterly clowned on and I have to run away to save her life.

Bulwark is crazy good but I don't think you absolutely have to have it on every pilot. The extra evasion ability and ace pilot can be a decent alternative. Of course, if the pilot has none of those then yeah it's time to sit them in front of a demolisher. :(

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Gobblecoque posted:

Bulwark is crazy good but I don't think you absolutely have to have it on every pilot. The extra evasion ability and ace pilot can be a decent alternative. Of course, if the pilot has none of those then yeah it's time to sit them in front of a demolisher. :(

Gunnery and Tactics are pretty good, I mean sitting your dedicated LRM guy way out of the fight and just raining death on guys works great.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Back Hack posted:

Threw this together, it's kind of crappy.

:perfect:

Arrath posted:

Those cones could absolutely use better color coding. Grey and slightly darker grey doesn't really cut it. I was hoping one of the UI definition files would be an easy fix but it doesn't lay out the cones specifically and like hell I want to trial and error it.

Agreed, you can break it down by weapon too if you toggle them off and turn on only one at a time to make it easier.

Also, isn't the Atlas one of the oldest mechs beside the Orion? Explaining why its older, heavier, slower than a lot of newer Assault mechs?

Btw, is there any way to still get the PDF pack that was on the KS? And what other sources are you guys using to break down the whole BattleTech history outside of the novels? There is a lot of stuff I still don't think I have covered and the only Physical book I have is the 3050 Mech Reference I think.

How bad would a game based on the timeline of the 1st/2nd Succession War be? Are there any games outside of TT that goes over that era? Also are there any good books I should read to cover what exactly went down?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
People want to see the Clan Invasion as an expansion, but that means 3050 and a bunch of not well balanced tech becomes available.

I think doing a dedicated '3025' Clan vs Clan campaign might be the easier, quicker option. Player starts as a newly decanted pilot, and has to go around earning honor and respect (instead of cbills) which unlock new locations (honor) and new mech/equipment (respect). Use a pulp sci-fi political intrigue plot as the framework, and you can hang a bunch of story missions off it with high variety: earn better mechs, challenge other clans to unlock better mechs, be betrayed and have to fight overpowered mechs to escape, find out your clan was planning something dishonorable and turn against them, discover your genes were actually stolen from another clan, and get adopted. Basically you play as Worf.

Since the Clan are already up their own asses about weird battle rules, HBS can balance the weapons and game as much as they want, and just rules lawyer the grognards with canon when they bitch.

Yeah, no struggling IS vs overpowered Clan, probably easier to do that after getting a good round of clan vs clan playtesting and balancing done. HBS should feel free to steal this idea because it's hardly original anyway, and it seems like a good way to make a sequel/expansion/dlc game for not a huge amount of money.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

People want to see the Clan Invasion as an expansion, but that means 3050 and a bunch of not well balanced tech becomes available.

I think doing a dedicated '3025' Clan vs Clan campaign might be the easier, quicker option. Player starts as a newly decanted pilot, and has to go around earning honor and respect (instead of cbills) which unlock new locations (honor) and new mech/equipment (respect). Use a pulp sci-fi political intrigue plot as the framework, and you can hang a bunch of story missions off it with high variety: earn better mechs, challenge other clans to unlock better mechs, be betrayed and have to fight overpowered mechs to escape, find out your clan was planning something dishonorable and turn against them, discover your genes were actually stolen from another clan, and get adopted. Basically you play as Worf.

Since the Clan are already up their own asses about weird battle rules, HBS can balance the weapons and game as much as they want, and just rules lawyer the grognards with canon when they bitch.

Yeah, no struggling IS vs overpowered Clan, probably easier to do that after getting a good round of clan vs clan playtesting and balancing done. HBS should feel free to steal this idea because it's hardly original anyway, and it seems like a good way to make a sequel/expansion/dlc game for not a huge amount of money.

But that would involve giving insufferable clanners a game where the clans are the protagonists and they can live out their eugenic furry fantasies. I don't think we want that.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
What I think this game lacks is:

A) Better intel on missions
B) More variety of mech lancers encountered
C) Something that actually makes lights beneficial for scouting and not paper thin, something like Sensor lock + shooting when piloting a light would be crazy useful.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
honestly just purging the clans entirely of their eugenics attitudes would be the sane idea but this a tabletop setting from the 80's so obviously that's not going to happen.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

I only use two bulwark pilots, I position them to be targeted by the AI. It works very well; with jump jets and inspire it's even more ridiculous.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You don't want to overthink the majesty metals and mining mission. rush the generator or eat a few turns worth of lrm salvos, simple as that.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Eldragon posted:

But that would involve giving insufferable clanners a game where the clans are the protagonists and they can live out their eugenic furry fantasies. I don't think we want that.

:hmmyes:

Also that urbie comic is my new phone background

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

The guys in that vid did exactly what I said and went up the road and shot the generator instead of going around the mountain so thanks for proving my point I guess?

Im still laughing that it took you five tries to figure out this complex strategy of "walk up to the generator and shoot it"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arrath posted:

Those cones could absolutely use better color coding. Grey and slightly darker grey doesn't really cut it. I was hoping one of the UI definition files would be an easy fix but it doesn't lay out the cones specifically and like hell I want to trial and error it.

Okay I tried, editing ui\uiColorsDefault.json and uiColorsV2the cones don't seem to use the colors of lightGray, medGray, darkGray, darkGrayHalf, darkGrayQuarter, darkGrayEighth, or whiteHalf,1/4,1/8 so I give up.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I don't even know how people are losing the tutorial missions other than forgetting that you should always Jump-jet if you can to get to a better position or to get more evasion chevrons.

Also never not punch mechs, it's essencial if you ever want to use a heat intensive mech.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another bit of support for the mantra of "always always always go for three salvage picks if you can afford it":

Turned out the spy I was hunting was carting around in a fancy Awesome, which is now my fancy awesome and also my first assault mech. Also during that mission I've really learned to appreciate kinetic weapons. During that mission I've been using an energy-heavy lance, and it was pretty drat frustrating to watch the guy go to unsteady over and over again from punches and DFAs, but have nothing available to actually knock him over for good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just give me a mech-sized jet propelled fist and I'll show that turret generator what for

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Its obvious what the strategy should be but they negate it by setting up a bunch of guns that have infinite range and don't require line of sight. So the fancy strategy becomes stupid and the best thing to do is brute forcing it by sending everyone up the road together to spread the damage out and hit the generator from there instead of going around a mountain that isn't even a barrier to the turret's missiles.

Its easy to complete the mission once you've wrapped your head around whats going on but its just an oddly bad design decision that could have been solved by making the turrets shredder/MG instead of LRM.

I snuck my light around the mountain and popped the generator without getting hit by the missile turrets, each of the three times I've done it. Is it possible you don't know what you're talking about?

Goons: complaining about the tutorial mission for pages.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 2, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

In other modding chat:

"ClusterChanceNeverMultiplyHead": true,
"ClusterChanceNeverClusterHead" : true,

might be utterly gamebreaking to change :v: LRM head barrages ahoy!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The thing is they need either direct line of sight from their units or sensor locking, if they have neither they can't do poo poo against you if you murder their vehicles/mechs fast enough.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Another bit of support for the mantra of "always always always go for three salvage picks if you can afford it":

Turned out the spy I was hunting was carting around in a fancy Awesome, which is now my fancy awesome and also my first assault mech. Also during that mission I've really learned to appreciate kinetic weapons. During that mission I've been using an energy-heavy lance, and it was pretty drat frustrating to watch the guy go to unsteady over and over again from punches and DFAs, but have nothing available to actually knock him over for good.

Real men stay at one and let RNJesus take the wheel.

I restarted to respec some pilots. That was the first mission after the Argo mission. It is week 10 and I have an assault mech.

Speaking of which, how the hell to you fit a Black Knight?

Xae fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 2, 2018

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Just give me a mech-sized jet propelled fist and I'll show that turret generator what for

Fulguropoing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQJnMkFG9s

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

All I see are a bunch of nerds, nerding out about point blank range :derp:

You weren't kidding it's buried in there somewhere.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

What I think this game lacks is:

A) Better intel on missions
B) More variety of mech lancers encountered
C) Something that actually makes lights beneficial for scouting and not paper thin, something like Sensor lock + shooting when piloting a light would be crazy useful.

Allowing lights to sensor lock as a free action is a good idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yup, the Atlas was Keresnky's pet project and is basically a scaled-up Orion (his favorite mech) with a skull face.

My favorite undercurrent in the fluff is that Aleksandr Kerensky was every bit as much of an overdramatic lunatic as his idiot son, he just didn't dress people up in totem animal costumes and institute a complex and stupid betting system so he comes out looking better.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Control Volume posted:

Im still laughing that it took you five tries to figure out this complex strategy of "walk up to the generator and shoot it"

TBF the 4th time I ragequit because the tanks at the end got two lucky injuries on my Vindicator and killed Glitch

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

That would be amazing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Can the enemy lights do that? Given the amount of enemy lights you face that might make evasion useless?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Gunnery and Tactics are pretty good, I mean sitting your dedicated LRM guy way out of the fight and just raining death on guys works great.

It's okay I guess. I like having all my guys capable of getting into the thick of it. Gives the whole group a lot more durability and flexibility.

The tactics abilities seem kinda meh. I used sensor lock less and less as the game went on and it seems kind of a waste to put it on the LRM dude and most of the time I ended up reserving until the last phase anyway so the +1 initiative feels kinda weak too. They're not terrible but compared to the other trees they seem real underpowered.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's because Tactics' real ability is Called Shot Mastery, which lets you loving core guys or have actual reasonable odds on headcappers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
years after MWO, with a bunch of MWO goons in the same thread, everyone still talks about balance

our sickness? no cure

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Gobblecoque posted:

It's okay I guess. I like having all my guys capable of getting into the thick of it. Gives the whole group a lot more durability and flexibility.

The tactics abilities seem kinda meh. I used sensor lock less and less as the game went on and it seems kind of a waste to put it on the LRM dude and most of the time I ended up reserving until the last phase anyway so the +1 initiative feels kinda weak too. They're not terrible but compared to the other trees they seem real underpowered.

I like having +1 init on my missile mech. I can reserve it to the end, knock something to unsteady, then next turn knock it down and strip a lot of the armor, leaving my more accurate weapons to remove the torso sections, all without giving it a chance to act.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The initiative bonus is handy for throwing into a heavy mech, but yeah at that point I don't use sensor lock much except when my positioning is hosed and the heavy can't make a good move to get into range, or there is a 80t vehicle contact out there that really, really needs to get locked and missile barraged.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
goons pretending at strategy is why i'm here, this is better than the steam thread pretending at business

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Exmond posted:

Can the enemy lights do that? Given the amount of enemy lights you face that might make evasion useless?

They could balance this by making enemy tactician pilots less common.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

They could balance this by making enemy tactician pilots less common.

Evasion will be garbage as long as most fights are 4v8.

Lancer Lance or Bust.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the last mission i played last night was a 3.5 skull assassination that dropped my lance (highlander, zeus, orion, cataphract) against four thunderbolts, two quickdraws, a cataphract, a panther (...?), and a loving king crab, all jumping me on like turn three. if i didn't have bulwark on everyone i'd probably have had to punch out of the mission instantly.

instead, i now have a king crab! thinking about just keeping both ac/20s on it, running it for max armor, and using it for multibreaching shot comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

It's a shame bulwark is mandatory mid-late game. Glitch was becoming my favorite pilot but she's effectively useless now if I don't have vigilance because she just gets utterly clowned on and I have to run away to save her life.
Bulwark is only mandatory if you don't use reserve, or design some mechs around non-bulwark. Bulwark is good and is really versatile, but there's a whole lot more in the game than just Bulwark and sit there and fire.