Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lancemantis posted:

people in tyool 2018 still don’t believe in germ theory
disease is spread by foul miasmas, everyone knows this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

a rat done bit my sister nell

tayne in da wind

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
god just wants you to be sick and poor and me to be healthy and wealthy, it’s predestined

it’s why I’m so moral and you’re not, though maybe if you turn things around it’s a sign you’re predestined too!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

driving right into the sea

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

you can buy it by itself here, not combined with other medications, in gel caps in every pharmacy and grocery store

they card you to see if you're 18 but I think that's a company policy thing not a law thing

the gel caps are imperfect as the sorbitol in them is really unpleasant. source of the dreaded robo-shits and nausea. in japan they have it in pills with just filler and binder. a/b extraction works well, but the cheapest is to just hit up an RC vendor for a bag of pure powder

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

ghost ride the windshield

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

a rat done bit my sister nell

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Schadenboner posted:

I think it's probably more respectful to call them "Korean women" though?

j-pop my k-hole

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

I think it's probably more respectful to call them "Korean women" though?

Corean :colbert:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the pos theory of disease

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ever have that moment where you think chic corea is a kpop band?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

I'm the designer who had to photoshop in the map to the right place but didn't bother lining up the corners right and gaussian blur a perfectly good stock photo of the bridge taken at the wrong time of day

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

the most offensive thing about that to me is the rear view mirror right in the middle of the loving window

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I'm the designer who had to photoshop in the map to the right place but didn't bother lining up the corners right and gaussian blur a perfectly good stock photo of the bridge taken at the wrong time of day

you stink, mister

you didn't even bother to do a couple of different levels of blur to properly simulate depth of field. the chain the foreground is exactly as blurred as the bridge towers

fits my needs posted:

wasn’t it a huge pain in the rear end just to get surgeons to do checklists properly

it wouldn't surprise me

guess what other activity commonly partaken-of by surgeons heavily uses checklists?
okay, now guess why the beechcraft bonanza is sometimes called the "fork-tailed doctor-killer?"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

guess why the beechcraft bonanza is sometimes called the "fork-tailed doctor-killer?"

Is it a play on the German name for the P-38 Lightning: "der Gabelschwanz-Teufel"?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah isnt there a thing bout doctors being pretty fucken bad pilots

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Is it a play on the German name for the P-38 Lightning: "der Gabelschwanz-Teufel"?

my favorite plane :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lancemantis posted:

tedsla kennedy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah isnt there a thing bout doctors being pretty fucken bad pilots

my flight instructor confirms this and says it's basically that they have the money to buy powerful, fast, agile planes that demand a lot of skill, but not the time to get any practice flying them

and then it doesn't help that they don't follow checklists because they're smart doctors, they know what they're doing

the woz is a good example:

quote:

On February 7, 1981, Apple Computer cofounder Steve Wozniak crashed his Beechcraft Bonanza while taking off from Santa Cruz Sky Park. The NTSB investigation revealed Wozniak did not have a "high performance" endorsement (making him legally unqualified to operate the airplane) and had a "lack of familiarity with the aircraft." The cause of the crash was determined to be a premature liftoff, followed by a stall and "mush" into a 12-foot embankment.[67] Wozniak later made a full recovery, albeit with a case of temporary anterograde amnesia.

on literally my second flight we started training to recover from a departure stall like what caused his crash. it's a trivial procedure and you can avoid the stall in the first place if you know your airplane's speeds (note "premature" liftoff -- there's no excuse for that) and pay attention to the wind.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 2, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was reading some old weekend webs where everyone was talking about "gorean-style BDSM" and i'm like huh is that like a different weird version of the korea-corea thing?

and then what it actually meant hit me a bit later and i felt real gross

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
While well aware of the incredibly lovely behavior of Japan on the Korean Peninsula, renaming your country so as to be higher in the alphabet (an alphabet neither you nor the other country use as a standard) is a "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you!"-level response.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 2, 2018

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's also trivial to acid-base extract it from other medications that have it in combination with guaifenesin using only things you can find around the house if you want a fun weekend science fair project
I've seen it extracted using I want to say lighter fluid in plastic ziploc baggies and that remains one of the more ghetto things I've ever witnessed

e: lemon juice and lighter fluid I should say

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

I've seen it extracted using I want to say lighter fluid in plastic baggies and that remains one of the more ghetto things I've ever witnessed

mr. wizard did the best experiments back in the day.

:allears:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

fuckerberg posted:

Today at our F8 conference I'm going to discuss a new privacy control we're building called "Clear History".

In your web browser, you have a simple way to clear your cookies and history. The idea is a lot of sites need cookies to work, but you should still be able to flush your history whenever you want. We're building a version of this for Facebook too. It will be a simple control to clear your browsing history on Facebook -- what you've clicked on, websites you've visited, and so on.

We're starting with something a lot of people have asked about recently: the information we see from websites and apps that use Facebook's ads and analytics tools.

Once we roll out this update, you'll be able to see information about the apps and websites you've interacted with, and you'll be able to clear this information from your account. You'll even be able to turn off having this information stored with your account.

To be clear, when you clear your cookies in your browser, it can make parts of your experience worse. You may have to sign back in to every website, and you may have to reconfigure things. The same will be true here. Your Facebook won't be as good while it relearns your preferences.

But after going through our systems, this is an example of the kind of control we think you should have. It's something privacy advocates have been asking for -- and we will work with them to make sure we get it right.

One thing I learned from my experience testifying in Congress is that I didn't have clear enough answers to some of the questions about data. We're working to make sure these controls are clear, and we will have more to come soon.

is facebook trying to do some sort of neurolinguistic programming nonsense, because it sure seems like they tried to fit the word clear in here as many times as possible, like, hey we're transparent don't worry pals

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Midjack posted:

tedsla kennedy

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Enderzero posted:

is facebook trying to do some sort of neurolinguistic programming nonsense, because it sure seems like they tried to fit the word clear in here as many times as possible, like, hey we're transparent don't worry pals

I think its more branding of the new feature.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Shaggar posted:

I think its more branding of the new feature.

I think it's his robotic programming being glitchy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Wait, Who Even Asked for Self-Driving Cars in the First Place?

Cummings goes on to argue that we’re in a bubble, particularly around artificial intelligence, the key tech enabling behind autonomy. “While there is certainly a lot of great potential for AI, it is generally grossly misunderstood and overrated across the business sector,” she said. “People want to believe it’s a magic bullet but the reality is it is just another tool in the tech toolbox and not the panacea they are hoping for.”

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hot take: self driving cars are good and I like them

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Enderzero posted:

Once we roll out this update, you'll be able to see information about the apps and websites you've interacted with, and you'll be able to clear this information from your account. You'll even be able to turn off having this information stored with your account.

lol are they trying to pretend that this addresses the cambridge analytica issues?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

tedsla kennedy

mufucka gonna pull a chappiequiddick

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

good thinking, dipshit

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/991764134248243201

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

good thinking, dipshit

lol. swatted down.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

does amazon own any of its warehouses? or are they all subcontracted out so they can save face from the slave labor

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

everything i've heard is that bezos is honestly committed to editorial independence for the media he owns

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

rjmccall posted:

everything i've heard is that bezos is honestly committed to editorial independence for the media he owns

Even still you better believe I'd be using a throw-away email accessed via a VPN, with identifying information acid burned off the story.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rjmccall posted:

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Well sure, in the same sense that a cure for cancer is good and I like moon colonies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Uptime Sinclair posted:

I've seen it extracted using I want to say lighter fluid in plastic ziploc baggies and that remains one of the more ghetto things I've ever witnessed

e: lemon juice and lighter fluid I should say

lol were you my friend back in college, because i totally did exactly what you're describing while friends watched. lighter fluid as an organic solvent, ammonia as the base, citric acid (as lemons) as the acid

i also found that if you use actual lemons instead of citric acid you can boil it down and add sugar and make something fairly close to gross lemon candy out of it