Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
every time i try something dashing the game decides to spawn reinforcements on that turn and vaporize the mech that was stupid enough to move, though. would a one-turn warning on reinforcements really be too broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Could someone give a basic rundown on how to use reserve to your advantage?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Rascyc posted:

Bulwark is only mandatory if you don't use reserve, or design some mechs around non-bulwark. Bulwark is good and is really versatile, but there's a whole lot more in the game than just Bulwark and sit there and fire.

Can't use reserve with a Steiner Scout Lance though

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah you basically reserve on first sensor contact and force enemies to walk into you, letting you dictate the opening. Then you reserve your lights until they go last so they can jump in and attack, then attack and jump out. Then every other use boils down to "I cant do anything good with this mech now so Im going to reserve and see how things change"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
reserving with a fast mech and an Ace Pilot lets you run in and shoot, then shoot again and run/jump away on the next turn without getting shot at in return.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Typical Pubbie posted:

If you're out of enemy visual range (and they're out of yours) reserve your faster guys so the enemy waste turns moving into range.

If you have a missile boat or other high stability damage early on in the initiative, they can reserve to the end, and then get two turns on an enemy, single handedly making them fall.

Reserve a unit until an enemy gets close, and then rush them. On your next turn, you can get behind them.

Reserve a safe but fragile unit until the bigger targets make their move. Rush in and attack, and then you can get away safely since your turn comes before theirs again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

every time i try something dashing the game decides to spawn reinforcements on that turn and vaporize the mech that was stupid enough to move, though. would a one-turn warning on reinforcements really be too broken?

Would be nice. In the meantime, [dashes to the nearest defensible terrain in turn 1, proceeds to dismantle the onrushing enemy one by one] what can you do, except fight?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Reiterpallasch posted:

the last mission i played last night was a 3.5 skull assassination that dropped my lance (highlander, zeus, orion, cataphract) against four thunderbolts, two quickdraws, a cataphract, a panther (...?), and a loving king crab, all jumping me on like turn three. if i didn't have bulwark on everyone i'd probably have had to punch out of the mission instantly.

instead, i now have a king crab! thinking about just keeping both ac/20s on it, running it for max armor, and using it for multibreaching shot comedy.

never not double tap fools with the double AC20s. I get so many multishot doublekills with Glitch in that thing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Xae posted:

Speaking of which, how the hell to you fit a Black Knight?

Badly. I gave up on the large lasers and redesigned mine as a close combat mech that gets one good salvo on the way in.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Just had a random battle. Only two Thunderbolts, and one of them had the tragic misfortune of materializing on top of a building, forever locking it in place due to a lack of jump jets. Took some potshots at it from range until it fell over.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

E.g: use reserve to sensor lock an enemy light after it moves halfway across the map and refreshes it's evasion stack.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

E.g: use reserve to sensor lock an enemy light after it moves halfway across the map and refreshes it's evasion stack.
Also, don't forget the turn system tries to alternate between the player and AI mechs whenever it can. So nearby enemy lights (or a distant panther) can be a rude interruption when you are in the middle of planning those sweet "I'll just reserve down to one, then go again!" moves with your own light mechs.

Good thing I had pulled the MGs out of my locust when I forgot that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 2, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Typical Pubbie posted:

If your mechs have defenses up, reserve. If your mechs don't have defenses up, don't reserve. Whenever possible you want to go last, unless activating a mech right now gets you a kill and doesn't cause to massive return fire. When in doubt, if you have defenses up, reserve.

This is why, if you have to take a shot right now and you need to move to do it, you pop vigilance. And then reserve that mech next turn, because again - you have defenses up, reserve.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone mind spoiling what I'm guessing are the last two missions where the game explicitly tells you that you need to be able to field two full lances to invade the planet?

Basically wondering if I should wait for a patch that fixes the performance issues so it won't take me so long to play through it all if I get wrecked, or if it's mostly a pushover that I can get through without tons of preparation.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 2, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Don't know how many of you read the front page, but this got posted today, and it rules:

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/battletech-dekker-infirmary/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Sheep posted:

Anyone mind spoiling what I'm guessing are the last two missions where the game explicitly tells you that you need to be able to field two full lances to invade Coromodir or whatever? I reckon that I'm not totally ready since up to now the entire game has been a one-lance-is-sufficient deal, and I'm not sure I want to even bother with it given the game's current performance issues if it's actually challenging, especially given that I really only have like one and a half ~4 star lances and replaying through a mission and change would be a nightmare.

Basically wondering if I should wait for a patch that fixes the performance issues so it won't take me so long to play through it all if I get wrecked, or if it's mostly a pushover that I can get through without tons of preparation.

It's two missions back to back. Any mech that took structure damage will stay damaged. Any pilot that's injured will have to be replaced.
In the first mission you attack an installation defended by a mix of mech and turrets. The turrets can be hacked if you can cover two APC to reach the designated area. You get two Shreck PPC carrier to help you out for some reason. Then your first mech, which has Dr. Murad in tow need to reach the building on the other side of the map. The enemy then drops two wave of mechs to counterattack. Defend until time limit is up. Of course if you didn't kill all the turret they'll be great help in the second part of the mission.

The last mission is just a arena battle. Your opponent has 2 heavies and 2 assault.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 2, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I tried Panzyr part 2 today

Really wish these APCs weren't so goddamn fast. I'm gonna melee spec a light mech to take these out, I think

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sombrerotron posted:

Just had a random battle. Only two Thunderbolts, and one of them had the tragic misfortune of materializing on top of a building, forever locking it in place due to a lack of jump jets. Took some potshots at it from range until it fell over.

bad day for the mechtechs to play a prank on the pilot

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

On Panzyr V2, the base you have to defend has a 1 space where vehicles rush in. After losing I had an Atlas just stand there and step on everything that came up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Don't know how many of you read the front page, but this got posted today, and it rules:

quote:

Infirmary Log Day 250

Pilot Dekker hid behind a mountain for an entire mission to stay clear of enemy fire. The cowardly tactic worked. Then the dropship arrived exactly where he had been cowering, crushing his 'mech.

Pilot will be unavailable for combat for 62 days

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Eldragon posted:

But that would involve giving insufferable clanners a game where the clans are the protagonists and they can live out their eugenic furry fantasies. I don't think we want that.

Make clans AI only. The AI's bad tactics actually match with the lore.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jack2142 posted:

On Panzyr V2, the base you have to defend has a 1 space where vehicles rush in. After losing I had an Atlas just stand there and step on everything that came up.

Yeah I'm just gonna park my SLDF Highlander there

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

Make clans AI only. The AI's bad tactics actually match with the lore.

the ai loves to focus fire one half-destroyed mech on the edge of the battlefield to the exclusion of all else, which is the exact opposite of "1v1 me mid" space-bushido

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The AI punishing you hard by focus-firing a single vulnerable target is probably the one thing it does right, and consistently, and yeah the Clans don't really do that unless you manage to get them annoyed enough they're gonna say gently caress It

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
only if its permitted by the eugenics council

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really miss some of my old mechs since I restarted and stupidly deleted the save. I probably should have just kept it. I really only screwed up when setting up Glitch with pilot/guts. Glitch was guns/tac which might not have been optimal but it would have been workable. My PC was guns/guts, Dekker was pilot/tac and I think I had set up Medusa as a pilot/tac too.

In my new game, I just got the Argo and my warriors each only have one skill so far. My PC is once again going to go 2 guns/1 guts and I think I'll do the same with Behemoth and maybe Glitch too. Dekker will still be my 2 pilot/tac. I'm not sure what I'll do with Medusa yet.

I feel like the main build is going to be 2 guns/1 guts and 2 pilot/1 tac will obviously be the build for scouts. I think a 2 pilot/1 gun build could also be fun. 2 tac/1 guts might also be a good build if you want to use a heavy/assault mech slightly earlier.

I'm not really sure that other builds would be very useful. Maybe if you want a brawler you could go for 2 guts/1 whatever. If they nerf bulwark then I could see 2 guns/1 pilot being more useful. Pilot/guts don't really work together and 2 guns/1 tac is ok as a long distance sniper but not having bulwak makes longer encounters more dangerous.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sheep posted:

Anyone mind spoiling what I'm guessing are the last two missions where the game explicitly tells you that you need to be able to field two full lances to invade the planet?

To reduce time-wasting, use the "remove pause tweak" posted in the OP.

Seriously.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Impermanent posted:

honestly just purging the clans entirely of their eugenics attitudes would be the sane idea but this a tabletop setting from the 80's so obviously that's not going to happen.

huh? why? i think they're cool bad guys. just rebalance some of their broken gear

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People who are really into the eugenics part of the Clans are often into other eugenics related interests

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They also really buy into the idea of elite soldiers in superior hardware being beaten by inferiors who rely on numbers, deceit and treachery

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Eej posted:

They also really buy into the idea of elite soldiers in superior hardware being beaten by inferiors who rely on numbers, deceit and treachery

I see that the Clans frequent the History Channel.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

He got punched in the face by an Orion that I failed to salvage.

OF COURSE the newbie with 3 guts survives.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Eej posted:

It would be at least interesting if the clans were beaten like a professional boxer going down to an unexpected kick in the balls; but instead it was Deus ex Comstar.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It would be really funny if in a rework they made the Clanners shittier pilots than IS ones, but with better tech. With the explanation that sure, they practice a lot; for ritual duels and dances, not actually fighting a war.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

IIRC there are actually some subversive tidbits in the fluff about how the whole eugenics thing is a massive waste of time and effort (aside arguably from the actual physiological changes to aerospace pilots and elementals). With all the intact scientific know-how they have preserved the Clans could theoretically actually make legitimate strides towards a massively advanced society, but that's constantly retarded by the Warrior caste putting its foot down and demanding all research shall be devoted towards the topic of how to make things blow up more better.

But of course, the average nerd will just zoom right past that and start obsessing about how superior and pure the Clans totally are. Kind of the same thing that happens in Warhammer 40k with all the unironic Imperium fanboys.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It would be really funny if in a rework they made the Clanners shittier pilots than IS ones, but with better tech. With the explanation that sure, they practice a lot; for ritual duels and dances, not actually fighting a war.
Excellent 1v1 fighters that are almost all individual glory-hounds so their teamwork suffers.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That was great but there's people who bag on shadows of the collossus? I didn't get bored with that game until the 4th attempt at the final boss.

quote:

Some people are unfavorably comparing this to the classic Shadow of the Colossus

E: if they could program zelbringen I say bring 'em.im down with salvaging dumb clan poo poo.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 2, 2018

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kenshin posted:

Excellent 1v1 fighters that are almost all individual glory-hounds so their teamwork suffers.

Sounds like my teammates in overwatch

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Eej posted:

People who are really into the eugenics part of the Clans are often into other eugenics related interests
right, but that's on them, no? any setting will have its version of wehraboos, sort of like the space marine thing that perestroika mentioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hey, an 855 MB update for Battletech just queued up on Steam. Thinking it's a hotfix for some of the tech issues.