Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I kinda hope Orc Stabr turns into the next promise the world but deliver nothing while making increasingly pathetic explanations KS game

the coauthor and I have sorta joked about adding a bunch of wildly absurd stretch goals for stuff like minis and other Kickstarter staples (which, in fitting with the whole Thing, would have been like, half-melted plastic army men or, like, green paper dolls of orcs) but we decided against it. We already raised like, a lot more than we expected so we'll be doing some cute little doodads here and there, but not much more than that, and crucially we're going to keep said doodads a surprise for backers.

That said look forward to the endless orc stabr KS exclusive expansion packs coming every month from now until the sun dies

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I find the responses of 'It'll still probably be a good read' admirable. What else do you hold onto at this point?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That greatest of treasures, which is hope.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mors Rattus posted:

That greatest of treasures, which is hope.
Perhaps the real Far West was the friends we made along the way :unsmith:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like he could have finished FAR WEST in the amount of time it took him to write that update.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

the coauthor and I have sorta joked about adding a bunch of wildly absurd stretch goals for stuff like minis and other Kickstarter staples (which, in fitting with the whole Thing, would have been like, half-melted plastic army men or, like, green paper dolls of orcs) but we decided against it. We already raised like, a lot more than we expected so we'll be doing some cute little doodads here and there, but not much more than that, and crucially we're going to keep said doodads a surprise for backers.

That said look forward to the endless orc stabr KS exclusive expansion packs coming every month from now until the sun dies

You should do a hardcover edition that's just the game printed on a piece of cardboard.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's a good thing for him there aren't any other really solid RPGs that mix the martial arts genre and western genre out there already.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

You should do a hardcover edition that's just the game printed on a piece of cardboard.

Holy poo poo. This will happen if I can figure out how to print an image onto a used pizza box

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Holy poo poo. This will happen if I can figure out how to print an image onto a used pizza box

Get soenone with a laser cutter to burn it into the cardboard. It probably won't catch fire!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's a good thing for him there aren't any other really solid RPGs that mix the martial arts genre and western genre out there already.

The first time I started to pay attention to FW was the 'oh my god this is so late' notices I saw cropping up everywhere, so out of genuine curiosity, was that the hook?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the elevator pitch was Wuxia meets Wild West.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just redo Far West as a Lasers and Feelings hack at this point. There are already two words in the title and everything.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just redo Far West as a Lasers and Feelings hack at this point. There are already two words in the title and everything.

Use far if you are doing Wuxia stuff. Use west if you are doing Wild West stuff. If you roll your number exactly you’ve got far west, you succeed but it takes ten times longer than it should.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I want to make fun of far west but I backed project: dark, so....

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

I want to make fun of far west but I backed project: dark, so....
No, no. Far West is still the king, for now.

Project Dark seems to be um ... approaching some kind of release?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
At least Axes and Anvils is just dead instead of playing with my heart.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like that's something you could hack Wulin to do, and I keep hearing stuff about Feng Shui but I've never played it. :shrug:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

The first time I started to pay attention to FW was the 'oh my god this is so late' notices I saw cropping up everywhere, so out of genuine curiosity, was that the hook?

I was being sarcastic because Deadlands has been around forever (though there are issues with its Asian material, because '90s), and yeah, there's Feng Shui as well. Far West was supposed to be more of a direct melange, mind, but it'd be pretty trivial to find a game to do it with.

There was also a Japanese-only version of Tenra Bansho that was intended for western / sengoku crossover.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Leraika posted:

I feel like that's something you could hack Wulin to do, and I keep hearing stuff about Feng Shui but I've never played it. :shrug:

You totally could, but the last time I tried to hack LotW I discovered it was a shitload of work.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was also a Japanese-only version of Tenra Bansho that was intended for western / sengoku crossover.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I need this, too bad it'll probably never get translated

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was being sarcastic because Deadlands has been around forever (though there are issues with its Asian material, because '90s), and yeah, there's Feng Shui as well. Far West was supposed to be more of a direct melange, mind, but it'd be pretty trivial to find a game to do it with.

That was part of the reason I asked, as the high concept did not in fact seem all that high as I wasn't there when FW was pitched because as you say there are options out there. Heck, I ran some stuff in Feng Shui set in the old west. The gates don't have to open up just on mainland China. They can be in Tombstone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh man were you not aware of the Jackie Chan Wearing A Googled Belt thing?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Bruce Lee I think, but man it was still a thing of horrid beauty.

fake edit: looks like a bruce lee impersonator.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

oriongates posted:

Bruce Lee I think, but man it was still a thing of horrid beauty.

fake edit: looks like a bruce lee impersonator.

Yeah, made that collage of failure. And this:

And this:

But let's not forget the efforts of others:

The guy is Brad Pitt.

Some of his earliest promotional "art" is also filters and a few minutes changes over a couple of different movie posters. And clearly it's not all GMS; he hired at least one other person to do this poo poo.

When it really blew up, he said something on Twitter about making a tutorial and sharing his brush templates because making these was a lot of hard work you guys. I think he also denied at one point that it was effectively tracing.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 3, 2018

Warthur
May 2, 2004

GMS and James Wallis both seem to be subject to such astonishingly lovely luck when engaged on game design projects that at this point them doing a Kickstarter resembles an act of crowdfunded self-harm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Did anyone here back that game you played in the dark, but one player has night vision goggles? How did it turn out?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

That was part of the reason I asked, as the high concept did not in fact seem all that high as I wasn't there when FW was pitched because as you say there are options out there. Heck, I ran some stuff in Feng Shui set in the old west. The gates don't have to open up just on mainland China. They can be in Tombstone.

Honestly one of the few things I'd want to do with the new 7th Sea is do a full-on crossover where samurai and Spainards and locals have adventures in the "new" world.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Eleven hours to go on the new Fireball Island.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/fireball-island-80s-board-game-reignited-and-resto

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, made that collage of failure. And this:

And this:

But let's not forget the efforts of others:

The guy is Brad Pitt.

Some of his earliest promotional "art" is also filters and a few minutes changes over a couple of different movie posters. And clearly it's not all GMS; he hired at least one other person to do this poo poo.

When it really blew up, he said something on Twitter about making a tutorial and sharing his brush templates because making these was a lot of hard work you guys. I think he also denied at one point that it was effectively tracing.

Also he's sitting on part of a Dalek dome. Trying to figure out where that tiger relief came from, looks like it would be on a wrestling belt but GIS isn't showing anything like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think they’re going to make it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That Old Tree posted:

Yo I want to know how to do this in gimp. I could use it for some PNP retheming projects :mrgw:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Warthur posted:

GMS and James Wallis both seem to be subject to such astonishingly lovely luck when engaged on game design projects that at this point them doing a Kickstarter resembles an act of crowdfunded self-harm.

The notable difference between the two is that I have a hardcover copy of Alas, Vegas on my desk right now.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Warthur posted:

Wallis, of course, has enough bad luck that the only thing to ship for Alas Vegas is ... Far West. Wallis and Skarka made a deal that because their games were late the backers of each would get a copy of the other game. This technically puts me in the "waiting for Far West" game but without getting the updates directly.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Wallis, of course, has enough bad luck that the only thing to ship for Alas Vegas is ... Far West. Wallis and Skarka made a deal that because their games were late the backers of each would get a copy of the other game. This technically puts me in the "waiting for Far West" game but without getting the updates directly.

Really? I can go buy a copy of Alas, Vegas right now on DTRPG. That seems quite a bit further along than Far West.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Does GMS even actually have an unusually high number of tragedies, or is it just that the only time he ever posts an update is after a tragedy so he has an excuse for not posting anything the last 5-10 months?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A tragedy every 5-10 months seems like a lot. I wouldn’t want that, personally.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

He's had legit problems, but a lot of that has to do with it taking so long that more and more of "life happens" keeps happening. Which would all be broadly understandable and a source of sympathy if he weren't such an rear end about it for the first, like, 5 years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

It doesn't help that while the Terminator franchise as a whole has managed to hang onto some scraps of goodwill from those good movies from before the majority of humans alive today were born, they specifically yoked their game to the most recent movie which somehow paradoxically is the most hated and most forgotten at the same time.

Few people saw it, and many of those who did disliked it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly one of the few things I'd want to do with the new 7th Sea is do a full-on crossover where samurai and Spainards and locals have adventures in the "new" world.

It'd be just fine as long as nobody ever got in a sword fight. I will never understand how Wick went to press with the combat system of a game about swashbuckling so broken.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 4, 2018

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tsilkani posted:

Really? I can go buy a copy of Alas, Vegas right now on DTRPG. That seems quite a bit further along than Far West.

You misunderstand. As an apology for both of their games being late, years ago Wallis and Skara both agreed to give their game to the others backers. So Far West backers get free Alas Vegas, and Vegas backers will one day get free Far West. So the only thing yet to ship for Vegas backers is their copy of Far West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Liquid Communism posted:

It'd be just fine as long as nobody ever got in a sword fight. I will never understand how Wick went to press with the combat system of a game about swashbuckling so broken.
Do we have an elaboration on this? I backed 7S2e back in the day cause I thought I would care about the setting, and I kinda moved on since then.