Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
My boss at my old company had some genuinely crazy ideas about teachers. Like signing up to be a teacher means you should just accept unpaid overtime and if you were properly organised you'd average out to about 5 hours a day monday to Friday across the year. Oh and you should give up your nights and weekends For The Kids voluntarily for no extra pay.

I pointed out she was expecting teachers to put other people's children over their own families and she... Didn't see an issue with this. At all. And if you became a teacher you should just accept this.

(I nearly told her 200 years ago there were people who thought becoming a worker during the industrial revolution meant accepting the risk of dying in a horrifying industrial accident and thems the breaks)

There are many, many people out there who seriously think like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That episode of The Simpsons where the kids find Pricipal Skinner's payment records and deduce he must be a millionaire, except with idiot adults instead of kids.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I'm an ACU grad ama.

Every room (at least at the Melbourne campus) has a cross in it and one time my friend was discussing her anaemia and was unironically told to pray about it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Whitlam posted:

I'm an ACU grad ama.

Every room (at least at the Melbourne campus) has a cross in it and one time my friend was discussing her anaemia and was unironically told to pray about it.

Did the praying help?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-02/macron-thanks-pm-and-his-delicious-wife-lucy-turnbull/9719996

quote:

"For the French gastronomy, for the French winery," Mr Macron replied, before thanking the Prime Minister for the "perfect organisation" of the trip.
"I want to thank you for your welcome — thank you, and your delicious wife," he said.
"Thanks to you and Lucy, thanks to you very much, Mr Prime Minister."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Whitlam posted:

I'm an ACU grad ama.

ACU run part of the training for royal melbourne icu nursing too lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Red wine and fava beans.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

froglet posted:

My boss at my old company had some genuinely crazy ideas about teachers. Like signing up to be a teacher means you should just accept unpaid overtime and if you were properly organised you'd average out to about 5 hours a day monday to Friday across the year. Oh and you should give up your nights and weekends For The Kids voluntarily for no extra pay.

I pointed out she was expecting teachers to put other people's children over their own families and she... Didn't see an issue with this. At all. And if you became a teacher you should just accept this.

(I nearly told her 200 years ago there were people who thought becoming a worker during the industrial revolution meant accepting the risk of dying in a horrifying industrial accident and thems the breaks)

There are many, many people out there who seriously think like this.

Telling these people that workers used to die at work often just sets them off like you're a crazy fucker and destroys the conversation. Half of them don't believe current workplace death statistics or just blame the dead idiot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Now I’m not asking for an apology, because I’m not that kind of a person, but…" Tony Abbott continued, "the very least" the ABC could do "is apologise" …

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/991578069046456320

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Apparently rent and utility bills are super cheap in her electorate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

Apparently rent and utility bills are super cheap in her electorate.

Box Hill? lol no

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Still can't get over the Tasmanian Liberals being owned by Sue Hickey

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/wrongdorey/status/991643891995570177

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

DancingShade posted:

Did the praying help?

Jesus' love will help us all :angel:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

this is charlie hebdo, to me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

quote:

The parliamentary inquiry is separate to the Ruddock review of religious freedoms which has opted for secret hearings and has heard complaints that religion is being forced from the public square as a consequence of the changed definition of marriage in the civil law.

Why is a discussion on religious freedom being done in secret?

Forcing regressive, hateful religions out of the "public square" can only lead to good things for society.

quote:

Casey, who was not asked about the Catholic threat to sack their staff, said Australian society needed to discourage the default view that people with strong opposing beliefs are one’s enemies, adding “we need to de-escalate these things”.

You hold that gay people are subhuman and have done everything in your power to poo poo on them. Of course you're the loving enemy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

:thunk:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

I don't think this person understands how this transaction is supposed to work...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you don't like it don't comment. It's just MY opinion.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'll do it and kill the cat out of an inability to follow simple instructions like a millennialsed Aesop's fable

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Calm down, Malcolm, nobody needs to die here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/GuidoTresoldi/status/991654792043806720

I'd be surprised if this hadn't already happened.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yeah it'd be entirely in character with the NY Post, who once photoshopped the President of Egypt as a mummy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Clearly the only solution is to demand all world leaders wear costumes emblematic of their national stereotype at all times. I'm sure there's already a Presidential fursuit prepared.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
ITT we now post our favourite newspaper covers

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I remember seeing this one in person...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.smh.com.au/education/a-38-hour-week-for-teachers-bring-it-on-20180502-p4zcuw.html

quote:

A lot of teachers are up in arms about MP Andrew Laming’s comments that teachers get too many holidays and should be made to work the same hours as other professions. Laming thinks teachers should work a 38-hour week and have only four weeks of holidays per year. Right on cue, a lot of people in the education profession are saying that Laming is out of touch and has no idea of the realities of our job.

But I think my colleagues might be too quick to take offence. As a music teacher I think Laming’s suggestion has merit and deserves to be explored more thoroughly.

Here are the implications of his proposal as I see it.

A 38-hour week means 7 hours and 36 minutes per day across 5 days. This means that I can arrive at work at 8am and leave at 3.36pm every day. There’s no need to factor in lunch breaks or recess, since I work though lunch and recess every day - either directing music ensemble rehearsals, mentoring students, giving instrumental lessons, supervising yard duty, or sitting at my desk frantically trying to catch up.

According to Laming I should be able to leave my job at 3.36pm. This is a huge improvement over my current work conditions, as that never happens now. Furthermore, Laming says there should be no marking, preparation, reporting or planning to do at home. I am hugely in favour of this. When I get home every afternoon my time will be my own, I will be able to pursue my hobbies and enjoy time with my family without the need to do any extra work after dinner. Brilliant!

Of course, under the Laming scheme there will be no school commitments in the evenings or on weekends. Parent/teacher interviews will happen during office hours, as will all music ensemble rehearsals, school concerts, musical productions and other performances. Meetings that currently occur in the evenings, such as Friends of Music groups, will now happen between the hours of 8am to 3.36pm.

Departmental and curriculum meetings will need to be finished by 3.36pm, as will professional development sessions. As a music teacher, it’s a huge relief to know that I’ll never again be required for a Sunday rehearsal or a weekend music camp. I’ll also no longer be required to take students to performances at weekend community festivals or public holiday events such as Anzac Day services. And school concerts that begin at 7.30pm will be a thing of the past. We will get our lives back. Thank you Andrew Laming!

The trade-off, of course, is fewer holidays, but I don’t mind. Having weekends and evenings to myself every week of the year more than makes up for it. And in keeping with Laming’s desire to make teachers’ work conditions the same as other professions, I’ll now be able to take my four weeks of holiday at any time of the year - no longer bound to take my holidays during the non-teaching period. This will work out brilliantly. My wife frequently travels internationally for work. Since her work trips are generally during the school term I am usually unable to accompany her. But now that I will be able to apply to take leave at any time during the term, I’ll be able to travel when she does. I can’t wait.

Those teachers who have derided Laming for not knowing what he is talking about should maybe consider further his proposal to see just how much better off they’ll be under his suggested reforms. If the proposal looks the way I described it above, I’d vote for it.

Aaron Searle is a Melbourne teacher.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lol like a conservative gives a poo poo if they're forced to cut music and the arts from public schools, they shouldn't teaching anything but rote learned Math, English, Religious Education, and loyalist imperial white Australian history

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 2, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

lol like a conservative gives a poo poo if they're forced to cut music and the arts from public schools, they shouldn't teaching anything but rote learned Math, English, Religious Education, and loyalist imperial white Australian history

"Sir why does our history book start at 1913?"

*Teacher smiles broadly*

"Well after the first fleet landed nothing much happened until then."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DancingShade posted:

"Sir why does our history book start at 1913?"

*Teacher smiles broadly*

"Well after the first fleet landed nothing much happened until then."

"This term we're going to learn about how evil soviet communists infiltrated Australia with the intent of destroying our free market, small business supporting way of life, by starting the criminal union organisations"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Listening to ABC AM this morning and some lady is claiming with 100% seriousness that it is possible to live on 40 dollars a day if you just cut down on avocado and coffee.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Listening to ABC AM this morning and some lady is claiming with 100% seriousness that it is possible to live on 40 dollars a day if you just cut down on avocado and coffee.

I don't know why more people don't ring in to radio stations using false names claiming this. Seems an easy way to generate outrage.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DancingShade posted:

I don't know why more people don't ring in to radio stations using false names claiming this. Seems an easy way to generate outrage.

It’s a federal mp

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does anyone in Sydney or Melbourne pay less than $200 rent a week? I guess if you're in a shareholder with 4+ people maybe?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

NTRabbit posted:

Legit tho instrumental music teachers eat massive amounts of poo poo and working hospitality rear end man I was still less exploited than my instrumental teacher housemate.

Then they get shafted with a classroom "music" teacher who moved across from dance so now they have to teach theory as well as prac in the same amount of time

Then the school has a principal who cares more about uniforms than anything else and the kids can't read anyway so what chance do they have learning music

Thus triple j becomes the gold standard in youth music and trap is a popular music genre

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

JBP posted:

Does anyone in Sydney or Melbourne pay less than $200 rent a week? I guess if you're in a shareholder with 4+ people maybe?

theres still some hold-over places with (generally) older/private landlords that havent upped their prices with the market

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
but theyre v v rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

swimsuit posted:

theres still some hold-over places with (generally) older/private landlords that havent upped their prices with the market

Well now that prices have pulled back there are also places with holdover high prices

• Locked thread