Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Rogal Dorn didn't turn Traitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noted traitor primarch Rogal Dorn

(having purple and phoenix together doesn't prove anything)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also biologically the differences between normal marines and primaris are the additions of space steroids, an adrenaline gene that makes them go nuts when they're about to die (hence the last stand attack), and literal metal coils around their limbs. They weren't satisfied with just saying "oh they're just modified to be taller", they have bedsprings in their legs and arms.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TTerrible posted:

Hustlin Floh posted:

The theory is that they're Emperor's Children.

:shrug:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Just because biglys are stupid enough to put candles on their backpacks doesn't mean they're traitors.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I was pretty into the Emperor's Children until I started reading Fulgrim and that book is so bad that I will never ever paint that legion, no matter how cool any future noise marine models are

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

A purple arm is a bit of a stretch. The fluff blurb sounds nothing like EC.

EDIT: This is going to end up being some loving retarded 1d4chan poo poo again isn't it.

Dark Imperium has Bobby G smacking Cawl down when he talks about making Primaris with the geneseed of the traitors and the 2nd and 11th. It'll probably be explored later as some kind of INSANE TWIST NO ONE SAW COMING to sell Chaos Primaris but those dudes just have a purple arm.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 2, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TTerrible posted:

Hams

Hams never change

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

GW is never so subtle that they'd just make a combination of a color and a word enough to prove they're traitor. They'd have some [unknown] poo poo in there for the primarch, not a flat-out lie. You could also say their focus on worshiping the Emperor OBVIOUSLY proves they're actually Word Bearers (or, like the Templars, zealous sons of Dorn who follow the Imperial Cult).

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TTerrible posted:

EDIT: This is going to end up being some loving retarded 1d4chan poo poo again isn't it.

Guess where the only source is for people saying this is proof of traitor geneseed?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Dark Imperium has Bobby G smacking Cawl down when he talks about making Primaris with the geneseed of the traitors and the 2nd and 11th. It'll probably be explored later as some kind of INSANE TWIST NO ONE SAW COMING to sell Chaos Primaris but those dudes just have a purple arm.

dark mechanicus starts with cawl hell yeah

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

"White gold purple marines that wage war so beautifully they convert those who bear witness and are followed by worshippers" on top of being a pet project from someone foreshadowed to be loving with traitor geneseed? Plus since every single primaris chapter currently was produced by Cawl, there'd be noone stopping him from just scribbling any name he wanted in the Primarch space.

I mean look at it from this perspective: there is literally nothing notable about them beyond color scheme, there's no harm in entertaining the idea.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This is how GW do "subtle hints" about traitors:

Neurolimal posted:

"White gold purple marines that wage war so beautifully they convert those who bear witness and are followed by worshippers" on top of being a pet project from someone foreshadowed to be loving with traitor geneseed?

I mean look at it from this perspective: there is literally nothing notable about them beyond color scheme, there's no harm in entertaining the idea.

It doesn't say that though? It doesn't say anyything about beauty at all. You just made that up out of nothing. It says they're ritualistic and followed by holy men and women. That sounds like the word bearers if anything.

So yeah, this is some weird 1d4chan headcanon again. if I go and look am I going to find it

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 2, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hustlin Floh posted:

GW is never so subtle that they'd just make a combination of a color and a word enough to prove they're traitor. They'd have some [unknown] poo poo in there for the primarch, not a flat-out lie. You could also say their focus on worshiping the Emperor OBVIOUSLY proves they're actually Word Bearers (or, like the Templars, zealous sons of Dorn who follow the Imperial Cult).

Look at this 'lil nublet who can't tell they're actually Custodes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also going RAW on fluff and theories is really dumb, almost as dumb as entering a frothy tribal chant over the source of said ideas.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

I mean, you can see where people are coming from given the color scheme, the name, and the line about spectacle. It's deliberately ambiguous but makes for a fun little hook for people that would be interested in that sort of thing. They're just little hints for those that care and utterly ignorable for those of us that don't. There's stuff like that all throughout the fluff these days- see also the 55th Alphic Hyrdras etc.

Edit: I clearly cannot keep up with the pace of shitposting in this thread recently

Pendent fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 2, 2018

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

Look at this 'lil nublet who can't tell they're actually Custodes.

Look at this guy who can't stop parroting jokes that have been dead for weeks.

EDIT: The marines in question aren't even a big thing, they're one painter's custom chapter that were one of several in a WD article. They got a shoutout in the Thousand Sons book as getting captured for use in experiments and that's it.

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 2, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

It doesn't say that though? It doesn't say anyything about beauty at all. You just made that up out of nothing. It says they're ritualistic and followed by holy men and women. That sounds like the word bearers if anything.

Dam you got me, subsection 18 says impressive, not beautiful. Concept: abolished

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hustlin Floh posted:

Look at this guy who can't stop parroting jokes that have been dead for weeks.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pendent posted:

I mean, you can see where people are coming from given the color scheme, the name, and the line about spectacle. It's deliberately ambiguous but makes for a fun little hook for people that would be interested in that sort of thing. They're just little hints for people that care and utterly ignorable for those that don't. There's stuff like that all throughout the fluff these days- see also the 55th Alphic Hyrdras etc.

Yeah I get that, but the Alphic Hydras was so incredibly in your face. There is literally nothing but "has a purple arm" in that picture that suggests EC. A purple arm. An arm.

The original post that started this said that Bobby G Ok'd restarting traitor chapters with Primaris and that is the opposite of what happened. :shobon:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Dam you got me, subsection 18 says impressive, not beautiful. Concept: abolished

They're space marines. Literally everything they do is described as impressive and awe inspiring.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hustlin Floh posted:

EDIT: The marines in question aren't even a big thing, they're one painter's custom chapter that were one of several in a WD article. They got a shoutout in the Thousand Sons book as getting captured for use in experiments and that's it.

So on top of the other stuff, they're currently being experimented on by chaos.

TTerrible posted:

They're space marines. Literally everything they do is described as impressive and awe inspiring.

Well we have two options here:

1. That's not supposed to be notable, and so nothing in their blurb makes them significant in any way

2. It's mentioned because they do it betterer than other marines, to the extent that it's a noteworthy feature

Step away from "beep boop concrete proof" for a second: which of those do you find more interesting, that they're new loyalist EC, or that they do nothing except Be Marines? God knows we have enough single sentence marine chapters that do nothing except "offer X primarch chapter armies a color scheme".

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

And EC before they turned traitor simply strived for perfection in war, they weren't trying for a spectacle, weren't particularly ritualistic, weren't super loyal to the emperor or anything. That written fluff looks nothing like EC. If anything it would be word bearers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

Hustlin Floh posted:

They wear purple and gold, nail body parts to their armor, are so spectacular that they're followed by devoted human cultists, and are literally called Sons of the Phoenix. That is not in any way shape or form subtle. It's the opposite of subtle, it's very clearly saying "these are Emperor's Children" in a huge flashing neon sign

TTerrible posted:

There is literally nothing but "has a purple arm" in that picture that suggests EC. A purple arm. An arm.

They're loving called The Sons of the Phoenix!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

This may sounds like a dumb question but are the old style kind of tiny ork trucks still legal to use. I got a line on like 5 of them for like $20 and wondering if I should bite.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Haruharuharuko posted:

This may sounds like a dumb question but are the old style kind of tiny ork trucks still legal to use. I got a line on like 5 of them for like $20 and wondering if I should bite.

I mean, they're 100% legal but people might look askance. On the one hand: gently caress 'em, they're literally GW minitures but on the other hand: They really are pretty small?

E: If nothing else you could make them into War Buggies/Trakks once those models get redone and bigified?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Haruharuharuko posted:

yeah but they're loving hideous

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
They are canonically whatever the person reading the blurb wants them to be and arguing it further than that is dumb. The entire purpose of those descriptions is to inspire somebody with a cool idea for painting a successor chapter and and is kept vague enough that it can mean whatever they want it to be. If you want them to be loyalist EC you can make a case for that. If you want them to be Imperial Fist successors with a unique bent that's supported by the text as well.

This thread is so incredibly bad lately I don't even get excited when I see 100 new posts.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Step away from "beep boop concrete proof" for a second: which of those do you find more interesting, that they're new loyalist EC, or that they do nothing except Be Marines? God knows we have enough single sentence marine chapters that do nothing except "offer X primarch chapter armies a color scheme".

Yeah, that's all they are. They're a random one-off chapter featured in white dwarf because a studio painter did that color scheme at the time of the primaris release when they were all told to make a custom color scheme. They are not special, that is the extent of their fluff. Their fluff fits pretty closely to Black Templars, who are also sons of Dorn who are super faithful and ritualistic, who plunge themselves into battle, and who go on crusades spreading the imperial creed and are followed by holy men and women. The only difference is that these crusaders are maybe more impressive in spectacle and that they're white and purple instead of black and white.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

More marines need to have candles though

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

Yeah, that's all they are. They're a random one-off chapter featured in white dwarf because a studio painter did that color scheme at the time of the primaris release when they were all told to make a custom color scheme. They are not special, that is the extent of their fluff. Their fluff fits pretty closely to Black Templars, who are also sons of Dorn who are super faithful and ritualistic, who plunge themselves into battle, and who go on crusades spreading the imperial creed and are followed by holy men and women. The only difference is that these crusaders are maybe more impressive in spectacle and that they're white and purple instead of black and white.

You paint an incredible picture with your words, I am inspired.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm losing my mind here. They're called Sons of the Phoenix. The Phoenix was Fulgrim. They're Emperor's Children.

If there was a chapter that wore dark blue and red and specialized in terror and nigh time operations and were called "The Haunters of the Night" would you guys be equally arguing that there's no reason to assume they were related to the Night Lords?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

That's cool, but don't present it as A) established fact B) an obvious conclusion :smug:

It's headcanon that you find cool.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They wear purple and gold, nail body parts to their armor, are so spectacular that they're followed by devoted human cultists, and are literally called Sons of the Phoenix. That is not in any way shape or form subtle. It's the opposite of subtle, it's very clearly saying "these are Emperor's Children" in a huge flashing neon sign

Things on that list that EC did:
Wear purple and gold.

Again, all marines are described as spectacular and the bestest at crusading forever and ever and inspiring devotion in human followers. It really isn't very noteworthy.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're loving called The Sons of the Phoenix!

:shrug: I just don't think its in your face enough to be a hint from GW. The alphic hydras poo poo is hilariously OTT.

again the original post that started this off said that Bobby G OK'd using the traitor geneseed and that is just wrong. You posted the Sons of the Phoenix image in support of that or something? Dark Imperium is really clear he told Cawl not to do it. I don't dispute that Cawl will eventually do it so GW can sell Chaos Primaris but it was not OK'd.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Red Scorpions are almost certainly Emperor's Children successors and they don't wear purple and gold.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I wonder how many of you are getting avatars after this argument

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

Things on that list that EC did:
Wear purple and gold.

You need to learn the fluff better if you're going to plant yourself so firmly on the issue. The Emperor's Children nailed body parts to their armor

Their are tons of references to human cultists going into battle with them, Fabius Bile: Primogenitor even has a once-human cultist who was such a great warrior she actually became a commander in an Emperor's Children warband.

And also, the Emperor's Children were literally metaphorically the sons of the Phoenix.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

You need to learn the fluff better if you're going to plant yourself so firmly on the issue. The Emperor's Children nailed body parts to their armor

Their are tons of references to human cultists going into battle with them, Fabius Bile: Primogenitor even has a once-human cultist who was such a great warrior she actually became a commander in an Emperor's Children warband.

And also, the Emperor's Children were literally metaphorically the sons of the Phoenix.

You know who else attach parts of dead people to their armor? All the other space marines.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hi I’d like to show my Primaris chapter painted in sea green and gold trim called Horus’ Sons. Anyway they’ve got nothing to do with the Sons of Horus and if you disagree you’re dumb as poo poo.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Booley posted:

You know who else attach parts of dead people to their armor? All the other space marines.

Gonna need some proof on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

panascope posted:

Hi I’d like to show my Primaris chapter painted in sea green and gold trim called Horus’ Sons. Anyway they’ve got nothing to do with the Sons of Horus and if you disagree you’re dumb as poo poo.

You know who else uses gold and green? Multiple other chapters. And many chapters use vehicles and squads named after birds, do you think they're chimeric Horus and Night Lords?

Begone, channer.