Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
taken it off any sick jumps?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ponzicar posted:

Here's a great quote from Sniping in France by H. Hesketh-Prichard:

Jesus christ Canada

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zoux posted:

Jesus christ Canada

that strikes a very deep patriotic chord with me - a people who will occupy most inhospitable territory in the history of the world and will mostly find it boring? and of course complain about how cold it is

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Lying in wait to knife a bunch of guys to death for the lovely mud of France. Really tickles the patriot bones.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

A tale as old as time.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Ensign Expendable posted:

A tale as old as time.

i never knew how much i needed a battle isetta, but welp, there it is

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ensign Expendable posted:

A tale as old as time.

True as it can be...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
drat they even taught the kids to pose like tankers

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

drat they even taught the kids to pose like tankers

impossible, none of them are making GBS threads/vomiting over the side of the tank

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Jesus christ Canada

The Harry Reid of nations

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

zoux posted:

Jesus christ Canada

Canada in WW1 is kind of like Dustin Hoffman in Straw Dogs. At first it's cool to see the nice guy grow a a backbone and start kicking rear end, but then he gets much too into it, and it gets really creepy really fast.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
augustine von fritsch enjoyed his war

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

hot take, nobody in the 19th c can lance good anymore

Bengal would like a word

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Those guys can lance but man are they bad baby and house sitters.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Cessna posted:

True as it can be...

Those look like they run in which case where the gently caress do I get one of those T-55s in the middle.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A dude named Jörn Leonhard just put out an absolute tome of a book on WWI, over 1100 pages, called Pandora’s Box. Anyone know anything about the guy? Christopher Clark of Sleepwalkers fame gave a glowing review for what that’s worth.

Yes I bought it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A dude named Jörn Leonhard just put out an absolute tome of a book on WWI, over 1100 pages, called Pandora’s Box. Anyone know anything about the guy? Christopher Clark of Sleepwalkers fame gave a glowing review for what that’s worth.

I've had that in a shopping cart for a week wondering if I could justify ordering yet another book I don't have time to read. I guess the answer is yes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's exactly the sort of thing that needs an English translation. I'm a fair way in and if nothing else it's refreshing to read someone whose thoughts for e.g. describing the political and military background of the long 19th century reach first and most comfortably to figures like Moltke the Elder and Bismarck instead of Disraeli and Lord Raglan. It's mostly generals-and-politicians, but ones who simply haven't had enough English-language attention.

(Along those rebalancing-the-score lines, also check out Jonathan Boff's "Haig's Enemy", about the career of Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 2, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It just got an English translation by the fine folks at Harvard Belknap Press.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Trin Tragula posted:

It's exactly the sort of thing that needs an English translation. I'm a fair way in and if nothing else it's refreshing to read someone whose thoughts for e.g. describing the political and military background of the long 19th century reach first and most comfortably to figures like Moltke the Elder and Bismarck instead of Disraeli and Lord Raglan. It's mostly generals-and-politicians, but ones who simply haven't had enough English-language attention.

(Along those rebalancing-the-score lines, also check out Jonathan Boff's "Haig's Enemy", about the career of Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria.)

Fun fact: Crown Prince Rupprecht probably would have had a real shot at restoring the monarchy after WW2, if the thousands of people shouting „Vivat Rex!“ at him at his return to Munich in 1946 (iirc) were any indication, but the Americans wouldn’t allow it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Fun fact: Crown Prince Rupprecht probably would have had a real shot at restoring the monarchy after WW2, if the thousands of people shouting „Vivat Rex!“ at him at his return to Munich in 1946 (iirc) were any indication, but the Americans wouldn’t allow it
which was deeply unjust of us, not only from a restoring-the-monarchy standpoint but also because then it would no longer have been a loving hohenzollern

edit: every saxon i have ever talked to is both more-or-less still communist and a loyal adherent of the Wettin dynasty. They love the Electors of Saxony down there

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 2, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is this a thing you can do in Hearts of Iron 4?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i just read a diary from the 30yw in which the dude writing it says that after a big campaign the army starts to hold parties and weddings, as though they had been waiting until the period of great effort was over

it may also be that only after they have taken plunder do the common soldiers have the money to do this. military weddings can be expensive: peter hagendorf's second wedding cost 40 gulden. his father-in-law paid for it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cessna posted:

True as it can be...

That's just crushingly cute

Maybe intermural tank combat could be a thing...:thunk:

So, I've been reading a bit about Operation Baseplate. Is the rationale the same as everything else on the German side, IE "if this doesn't work we're totally hosed anyway, who cares?"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

You mean specifically the BavarIan monarchy not Germanys right?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FishFood posted:

i never knew how much i needed a battle isetta, but welp, there it is
Heck, :same:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mazz posted:

Those look like they run in which case where the gently caress do I get one of those T-55s in the middle.

Is that what they are? T-34 at the front is on point but those turrets don't look nearly rounded enough. :(

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

feedmegin posted:

Yeah. Bavarian federalist and even separatist sentiment has always been strong, and especially so immediately after the war. It honestly was a commendable achievement of everybody involved to keep Bavaria within the Federation (even though the state hasn’t formally accepted the German constitution to this day)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

have you met a bavarian? the secession thing is only half a joke

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's just crushingly cute

Maybe intermural tank combat could be a thing...:thunk:

Anime has you covered, my dude

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

(even though the state hasn’t formally accepted the German constitution to this day)
THEY DON'T WANT YOU EITHER

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This is an XCOM/Fallout parody, right?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

feedmegin posted:

Is that what they are? T-34 at the front is on point but those turrets don't look nearly rounded enough. :(

They had to make design compromises in order to make it 1/3 scale and still able to cram a 12 year old in the TC hatch.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

One of my favourite Cold War tidbits is that some believe the U.S.S.R. would have survived better a nuclear war because they tended to build big, spacious and deep shelters that were open to the public, whilst the U.S. encouraged people to build their own (lovely) shelters and kept the good ones for government types.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this a thing you can do in Hearts of Iron 4?

Nah, you can restore the Kaiser (or potentially his son as Wilhelm III) as an option for opposing Hitler. One of the options going forward is to basically literally have WW2 be a rematch of WWI (including getting Austro-Hungary back together), while the other is a democratic constitutional monarchy. I feel like (similar to Hungary's having an option to choose their new king to decide they new direction), maybe there should have made it so you can choose between the Wilhelms or Ruprecht as you choose the path your nation takes.

Edit: Or as a comedy option, have the option to install him as a puppet king of Britain, since at the time he was the current Jacobite heir to the throne.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 2, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jesus christ, every person there has this look like they are going to tough it out in their bomb shelters, maybe eat some hard tack, and then kick hitler in the balls.

It's an entire family of :stare:, if :stare: was more angry and scowl-y

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 2, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nah, you can restore the Kaiser (or potentially his son as Wilhelm III) as an option for opposing Hitler. One of the options going forward is to basically literally have WW2 be a rematch of WWI (including getting Austro-Hungary back together), while the other is a democratic constitutional monarchy. I feel like (similar to Hungary's having an option to choose their new king to decide they new direction), maybe there should have made it so you can choose between the Wilhelms or Ruprecht as you choose the path your nation takes.

Edit: Or as a comedy option, have the option to install him as a puppet king of Britain, since at the time he was the current Jacobite heir to the throne.

Apparently you can also end up with that one princess who is all over the internet for looking pretty good wearing a death's head on her fluffy hat running poo poo, but it's a BIT of a chain of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Given that the odds of a major air raid on the American mainland were slim to none, I feel like that whole pamphlet has some psychological value in terms of helping people not panic and feel like they’re contributing and can be prepared for ill-defined dangers.

Actually, WERE there any false alarms during WW2 about air raids on the US mainland? Someone starting a rumour that spins out of control because he mistook an eagle for a bomber, style of thing?