Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

You need to learn the fluff better if you're going to plant yourself so firmly on the issue. The Emperor's Children nailed body parts to their armor

Their are tons of references to human cultists going into battle with them, Fabius Bile: Primogenitor even has a once-human cultist who was such a great warrior she actually became a commander in an Emperor's Children warband.

And also, the Emperor's Children were literally metaphorically the sons of the Phoenix.

Let me know why you posted the Sons of the Phoenix image in response to the 100% false statement that Bobby G ok'd the Traitor geneseed being used, fluffmaster.

That's a 40k kit from 10k years afer they fell. They were totally into the whole Chaos thing by then. When they were loyalist they didn't do that poo poo. The new Primaris marines are what, 100 years old? They're getting into it pretty fast :v:

Fabius Bile, again, is a completely insane skin cloaked dude in 40k. He was originally head apothecary and notably didn't wear human skin on a day to day basis as the other legions found it tacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's hosed up that a bunch of batman fanboys invented their own theory primarch to explain away what were obviously assault ultramarines.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

It's hosed up that a bunch of batman fanboys invented their own theory primarch to explain away what were obviously assault ultramarines.

You are extremely bad at this, leave it to Hixson and Panascope.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Hi im gay and like Hams.

This lore discussion is bad, you're taking some dude's homebrew and screaming bloody murder about it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Hi im gay and like Hams.

This lore discussion is bad, you're taking some dude's homebrew and screaming bloody murder about it.

Hi, I'm gay. I'm dad.

originally I was aktuallying about someone posting wrong poo poo about Cawl but its got a life of its own now its cool

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

Let me know why you posted the Sons of the Phoenix image in response to the 100% false statement that Bobby G ok'd the Traitor geneseed being used, fluffmaster.

That's a 40k kit from 10k years afer they fell. They were totally into the whole Chaos thing by then. When they were loyalist they didn't do that poo poo. The new Primaris marines are what, 100 years old? They're getting into it pretty fast :v:

Fabius Bile, again, is a completely insane skin cloaked dude in 40k. He was originally head apothecary and notably didn't wear human skin on a day to day basis as the other legions found it tacky.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore. You admit that the Emperor's Children nail body parts to their armor, but it doesn't count because Fabius Bile is... a named character?

Can we at least agree that if you didn't know about that Primaris chapter, and came across the phrase "Sons of the Phoenix" in 40k a reasonable person would assume it was talking about Emperor's Children? Because that's literally what the Emperor's Children metaphorically were?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

You are extremely bad at this, leave it to Hixson and Panascope.

Give me one good reason to accept your homebrew batmen as real.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore. You admit that the Emperor's Children nail body parts to their armor, but it doesn't count because Fabius Bile is... a named character?

I'm arguing that pictures of EC models meant to represent 10k year old traitors that have completely fallen to Slaanesh aren't exactly representative of how the EC behaved when still loyalist. The body part thing you're using as support didn't happen till after they'd fallen to Chaos. Before that they were all about purity and perfection and had perfect, unblemished artificer customised armour.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Can we at least agree that if you didn't know about that Primaris chapter, and came across the phrase "Sons of the Phoenix" in 40k a reasonable person would assume it was talking about Emperor's Children? Because that's literally what the Emperor's Children metaphorically were?

Honestly, not really. There are a ton of loyalist chapters with weird questionable names and there always has been. They fluff blurb and the appearance has bits and pieces from a few traitor and loyalist legions/chapters. :shrug:

Can you tell me why you posted the picture of the Sons of the Phoenix in support of the completely wrong post about Bobby G OK'ing traitor Primaris please, fluffmaster.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I really don't understand the immense joy people take in making GBS threads on not just homebrew fluff (which often (or even usually) can be pretty loving bad) but on the mere idea that someone would have the temerity to develop homebrew fluff.

v:sigh:v

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 2, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Homebrew fluff is cool as hell man.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

I really don't understand the immense joy people take in making GBS threads on not just homebrew fluff (which often (or even unusually) can be pretty loving bad) but on the mere idea that someone would have the temerity to develop homebrew fluff.

I'm making GBS threads on someone reinterpreting someone else's home brew fluff and presenting their wishes for that fluff as fact.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's pretty weird that 40K players would be really into the idea of purity of thought and ideology

Pretttty weird

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TTerrible posted:

Can you tell me why you posted the picture of the Sons of the Phoenix in support of the completely wrong post about Bobby G OK'ing traitor Primaris please, fluffmaster.
I'm not the guy who posted it, but I think the intent was to say, "Yeah, the geneseed for this totally-not-the-Emperor's-Children primaris chapter came from :airquote:Rogal Dorn.:airquote: Because to use a traitor geneseed is totally wrong and we Mechanicus dudes would never do that. :wink:"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Booley posted:

I'm making GBS threads on someone reinterpreting someone else's home brew fluff and presenting their wishes for that fluff as fact.

Yeah, that's literally the definition of homebrew though: "Thing 1, 2, 3 are established in-universe, but what if: thing 4 (which isn't)?".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I really don't understand the immense joy people take in making GBS threads on not just homebrew fluff (which often (or even unusually) can be pretty loving bad) but on the mere idea that someone would have the temerity to develop homebrew fluff.

If the chad pic is anything to go off of, their problem is that the homebrew fluff is too interesting. The only fluff theories allowed are the ones speculating on which chapter came to the administratum's aid when the bureauceats of Boyega IV lost their last mastercrafted stapler, presumed to chaos (it was later found underneath the 56th filing cabinet, the heavy one), sparking the Gagapli War in BBY 48890

If your chapter master is the one who found the stapler you're a mary sue :colbert:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, that's literally the definition of homebrew though: "Thing 1, 2, 3 are established in-universe, but what if: thing 4 (which isn't)?".

Then do that with your dudes. Not somebody else's dudes. Those guys are somebody else's dudes. Let his fluff be his and write your own. Don't rewrite his.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

I'm arguing that pictures of EC models meant to represent 10k year old traitors that have completely fallen to Slaanesh aren't exactly representative of how the EC behaved when still loyalist. The body part thing you're using as support didn't happen till after they'd fallen to Chaos. Before that they were all about purity and perfection and had perfect, unblemished artificer customised armour.

Honestly, not really. There are a ton of loyalist chapters with weird questionable names and there always has been. They fluff blurb and the appearance has bits and pieces from a few traitor and loyalist legions/chapters. :shrug:

It's not just after ten thousand years, they started nailing body parts to their armor pretty much immediately. As shown on these Heresy era Kakophoni.

OK, if you don't think their name being a direct reference to Fulgrim is at all meaningful, that's fine, I will clearly never be able to sway you

It doesn't matter whether or not Guilliman approved Traitor geneseed Primaris, because it happened. For example, The Sons of the Phoenix.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

Then do that with your dudes. Not somebody else's dudes. Those guys are somebody else's dudes. Let his fluff be his and write your own. Don't rewrite his.

At what point does Their Dudes become official canon and therefore susceptible to homebrew iteration though? Did the creator of Fulgrim's Falcons write that they got punked by 1k sons? Did he decide that it was okay for other people to paint his chapter?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Good to see the 40k thread hasn't changed much in the past 7 years :staredog:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

The only fluff theories allowed are the ones speculating on which chapter came to the administratum's aid when the bureauceats of Boyega IV lost their last mastercrafted stapler, presumed to chaos (it was later found underneath the 56th filing cabinet, the heavy one), sparking the Gagapli War in BBY 48890

I mean, TBH I generally find this sort of thing way more interesting than rehashing whatever 1d4chan nonsense crosses the transom but that's because I find implicit world-building and weird ethnographic details and diagetic texts to be way more interesting than explicit "Chapter X is the descendant of Chapter Y which came from Primogenitor Legion Z" world-building generally.

:shrug:.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

At what point does Their Dudes become official canon and therefore susceptible to homebrew iteration though? Did the creator of Fulgrim's Falcons write that they got punked by 1k sons? Did he decide that it was okay for other people to paint his chapter?

That's not what you're doing though. Having someone else's fluff be interacted with is cool and good. Taking these guys, who the author said "their primarch is dorn" and deciding "no really its fulgrim" isn't interacting with or iterating in, it's rewriting. It's not cool to rewrite someone else's fluff.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, TBH I generally find this sort of thing way more interesting than rehashing whatever 1d4chan nonsense crosses the transom but that's because I find implicit world-building and weird ethnographic details and diagetic texts to be way more interesting than explicit "Chapter X is the descendant of Chapter Y which came from Primogenitor Legion Z" world-building generally.

:shrug:.

I like both, I just think its funny when either type starts declaring the supremacy over; we're better than the other guys, instead of having our fake boys descend from a fake man people like to read about, we had them invade the fake planet from the 3rd edition codex of the space marines (the one that was hidden behind the artistic blood splatter due to a formatting error)! :v:

One of my fave fluff guys was a dude who lost and died against abbadon, but did it after a protracted guerilla war with mentally unstable blood angles, to such an impressive extent that a wounded abba ordered that every loyalist corpse except his and his nutbag squad.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 2, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Sons of the Phoenix aren't homebrew, they're from an official GW publication

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

If your chapter master is the one who found the stapler you're a mary sue :colbert:

It was the Angels Scriptorus from their homeworld of Dewey Decmilia

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just lol if you don't realize the Sons of the Phoenix are made from Emperor's Children stock.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Sons of the Phoenix aren't homebrew, they're from an official GW publication

They're from an article in White Dwarf in which the studio painters were asked to come up with their own chapters to paint primaris marines.

Regardless of whether you consider that to be homebrew, saying fulgrim is actually their primarch is not expanding on their fluff, it's rewriting it. You wouldn't go in and say that the primarch of the imperial fists is actually perturabo would you?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

That's not what you're doing though. Having someone else's fluff be interacted with is cool and good. Taking these guys, who the author said "their primarch is dorn" and deciding "no really its fulgrim" isn't interacting with or iterating in, it's rewriting. It's not cool to rewrite someone else's fluff.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

It was the Angels Scriptorus from their homeworld of Dewey Decmilia

Unlike your fairy fews, my chapter master was the scout who checked the 55th cabinet, then later went back and checked it again just to make sure.

He....*sob* he let his beloved sniper brother check the 56th cabinet, because he secretly didnt want to steal the glory...

Booley posted:

They're from an article in White Dwarf in which the studio painters were asked to come up with their own chapters to paint primaris marines.

Regardless of whether you consider that to be homebrew, saying fulgrim is actually their primarch is not expanding on their fluff, it's rewriting it. You wouldn't go in and say that the primarch of the imperial fists is actually perturabo would you?

Lmbo if you haven't realized that the fists and warriors are both from Perturabo, with Dorn hired to take credit because he looked manlier

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Today a GW employee told me that my homebrew fluff is actually official canon, so :boom:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

And also, the Emperor's Children were literally metaphorically the sons of the Phoenix.

Hello,

I think by "literally metaphorically" you mean "figuratively".

Just trying to help your argument ok bye!

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's ways to make homebrew fluff cool, but like all fan fiction most people are terrible at it and it spirals off into mary sue land. That's what the Chad pic was about.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

I'm not rewriting it, I'm interpreting it. The fact that they are very obviously Emperor's Children leads me to assume that Cawl lied when he said they were an Imperial Fists successor. The fluff stands, tehy are officially listed in the Imperium as being descended from Rogal Dorn, but human brain allows me to know that while also knowing that the Sons of the Phoenix are secretly the sons of the Phoenix.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Olloth posted:

Hello,

I think by "literally metaphorically" you mean "figuratively".

Just trying to help your argument ok bye!

You're wrong.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not rewriting it, I'm interpreting it. The fact that they are very obviously Emperor's Children leads me to assume that Cawl lied when he said they were an Imperial Fists successor. The fluff stands, tehy are officially listed in the Imperium as being descended from Rogal Dorn, but human brain allows me to know that while also knowing that the Sons of the Phoenix are secretly the sons of the Phoenix.

I like this a lot.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

Guilliman does even think that he doesn't trust cawl to not use the traitor gene lines just because he said no immediately after the meeting with the cawl inferior.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ummmm it's literally clearly obvious that they're Space Marines who trained under the Eldar and Asuryan, the Phoenix King. Space Marines and Eldar are bff now it's canon because the Eldar got Guilliman to wake up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not just after ten thousand years, they started nailing body parts to their armor pretty much immediately. As shown on these Heresy era Kakophoni.

OK, if you don't think their name being a direct reference to Fulgrim is at all meaningful, that's fine, I will clearly never be able to sway you

It doesn't matter whether or not Guilliman approved Traitor geneseed Primaris, because it happened. For example, The Sons of the Phoenix.

The Sons of the Phoenix aren't traitors. The EC in that picture are. The EC didn't do it when they were loyalist. Hope that helps.

Ilor posted:

I'm not the guy who posted it, but I think the intent was to say, "Yeah, the geneseed for this totally-not-the-Emperor's-Children primaris chapter came from :airquote:Rogal Dorn.:airquote: Because to use a traitor geneseed is totally wrong and we Mechanicus dudes would never do that. :wink:"

Yeah thats cool, i've repeatedly said I understand that it will be eventually revealed that Cawl is using traitor geneseed because GW need to sell Primaris to chaos players too.

It was posted in direct response to me saying "Bobby G didn't say it was ok"

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
THE BLACK TEMPLARS HAVE INTERCEPTED THE CRIES OF SHRILL ANGRY NERDS AND WILL COMMENCE WITH AID.

THE EMPEROR ‘S CHAMPION LEADS HIS MEN INTO THE FRAY

TEMPLAR VETERANS COME BEARING HOLY PLASMA

MISSILE LAUCHERS ARE SIMILARLY HOLY

CHECK OUT MY SICK SQUIGGLE FREEHAND BANNER THE EMPEROR PROTECTS

BE CAREFUL WHEN APPLYING THIRD PARTY FLESH WASHES CITIZENS

THE BLACK TEMPLARS HAVE PROVIDED AID REJOICE ASSHOLES

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
As has been noted elsewhere, Tadhg and PaintVagrat dropping in to go "What the gently caress is this poo poo" is absolutely amazing.

You guys left. This is what happened. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sergeant Red Skull is great