Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Why is SMG insisting on referring to Thanos as Thano? Is it just to be extra obnoxious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mordiceius posted:

Why is SMG insisting on referring to Thanos as Thano? Is it just to be extra obnoxious?

look inside your heart, you already know the answer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

thanOS 10 won't stop deleting half of my files, Jesus Christ

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Yes. It seems to be working gangbusters.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That’s what I thought he said the first time I saw the movie but he clearly said ‘his eye’ when I saw it the second time.

Like three weeks before Ragnarok premiered they reshot the arrival of Hela. In the original she shows up and kills Odin in New York and that’s where she and Thor fight and she destroys Mjolnir.

I just got out of it 15 minutes ago (nothing to do today and weekday matinees are a discount) and he very clearly says "killed my father and stabbed me in the eye" (I was listening for it!)

ricdesi posted:

Steve Rogers is a blond. So yeah, he did dye his hair (in-universe, anyway). As did Black Widow.

So he dyed it from blonde to...dirty blonde? Why not black which is easier to find on the run and would help him blend in to a lot more population centers.

Again, if you want to come up with a clever in universe explanation why the various actors didn't want to wear wigs or shave their beards or whatever that's fine, but that's all it's really gonna be.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 2, 2018

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the plural of thanos is thanos

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bard Maddox posted:

A group of thanos is a murder of thanos

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The events of Avengers 1 are that Loki tried to steal the tesseract in exchange for being given dominion over Earth. If successful this would have netted Thanks a stone. This being Thanks goal works for multiple motivations.

That ignores narrative - i.e. why Thanos wants the teleportation cube.

The filmmakers could have easily have made it a twist: a reveal that Thanos wants to defeat all the free planets of the universe in order to ‘win the game’ and rewrite the very fabric of reality and create a paradise. The heroes could then be tempted with this proposition.

Instead, the execs went with a retcon. We ignore all the past films and Thanos now never tried to rule the universe.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 15, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

A half of thanos. A than

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That ignores narrative - i.e. why Thano wants the teleportation cube.

The filmmakers could have easily have made it a twist: a reveal that Thano wants to defeat all the free planets of the universe in order to ‘win the game’ and rewrite the very fabric of reality and create a paradise. The heroes could then be tempted with this proposition.

Instead, the execs went with a retcon. We ignore all the past films and Thano now never tried to rule the universe.

I still think Holk and Commander America will defeat him, if Hawk Guy and Black Mirror team up with them. And don't forget, Thorb has his new weapon.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

smoobles posted:

I still think Holk and Commander America will defeat him, if Hawk Guy and Black Mirror team up with them. And don't forget, Thorb has his new weapon.

Man I hope so. It really broke my heart to see Bug-Boy go the way he did.

Starman I could do without.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

This is a series where Iron Man 3 ends with Tony destroying his legion of AI robots as a sign that he has grown past his paranoid obsession with global defense, and then in his next film he has built a new legion of AI robots and become more paranoid and obsessed with global defense than ever.

I don't know why people find it hard to accept that the MCU is bad at character continuity. The films are good at avoiding literal plot contradictions, but in other respects they're often highly inconsistent.

Actually, if you had paid any attention you would realize that's not true.

Tony destroyed his suits at the end of Iron Man 3 because his girlfriend got tired of the fact that each suit was basically a way for Tony to put himself in harm's way in new and creative ways and settings (underwater, in space, etc.).

He got around this by fully automating both the manufacturing and the operation of the suits, and in doing so paved the way to Ultron's creation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Doflamingo posted:

Man I hope so. It really broke my heart to see Bug-Boy go the way he did.

Starman I could do without.

Everyone gets his name wrong. It's Sun-man

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The first two Marvel films set up a narrative where Stark would help the US Army try to capture Hulk. The Leader was also going to show up. This narrative was abandoned, though elements were recycled in Avengers 2 (Iron Man randomly battling Hulk) and Civil War (Ross’ superhero prison).

These aren’t narrative twists. They’re the product of a bizarre antinarrative algorithm.

I completely forgot about these parts goddamn.

Mordiceius posted:

Thani is also an acceptable plural term

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There main reason the hulk narrative was abandoned was because his movie wasn't that memorable or a big hit and there's rights issues with more standalone movies and Edward Norton is a dick, so they just moved on

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish SMG’s month long probation had been a permaban.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ScarJo being blonde made me think "wait, are they introducing that blonde avenger woman who fought with batons" I think she was Hawkeye's sister or girlfriend?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They already did in tv, mockingbird. She was played by the lady who is currently the first officer in the Orville, Adrian Palicki. She was pretty good

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Saw the movie Sunday. Loved it! Great action, fun character, and it did some good things with Thanos. See, I expected him to be like his comic counterpart: the creepy, desperate guy who just wants to gently caress Death, the cosmic equivalent of an Incel, A Thanos-Going-His-Own-Way. But, instead, they actually made him have quite a bit more depth with his personality and beliefs and actually have more emotions than "smug superiority" and "angry."

Only thing bugging me is how much this movie poo poo on Thor Ragnorak.

"Yep, we got all the Asgardians away."

Thanos just killed half of them.

"Well, I am finally getting along with my brother."

Thanos kills him.

"Well, I am no longer a 'God of Hammers.' I now know the power was within me all-along."

Has to get a hammer to kill Thanos.

"Well, at least I still have a cool eyepatch that makes me look like my dad."

Gets a replacement eye.

Talk about invalidating everything a movie accomplished.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I liked the stinger where Nick Fury calls the DC universe for help.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

They already did in tv, mockingbird. She was played by the lady who is currently the first officer in the Orville, Adrian Palicki. She was pretty good

A spin-off starring her got canned which is what freed her up for Orville

She was good in both

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Wrong, it's a genocide of thanos.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The Bloop posted:

A spin-off starring her got canned which is what freed her up for Orville

She was good in both

It's really funny that the show wrote out its only decent post-Kyle MacLachlan characters for a spinoff that didn't even air.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

It's really funny that the show wrote out its only decent post-Kyle MacLachlan characters for a spinoff that didn't even air.

I'm sorry but Yoyo is great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That ignores narrative - i.e. why Thano wants the teleportation cube.

because as we saw in this movie, after getting the teleportation cube he was able to just teleport over to the other Infinity stones and get them within a few hours easy peazy no big deal?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Nodosaur posted:

I'm sorry but Yoyo is great.

I've only seen the three seasons my roommate watched so I don't know who that is.

I'm glad people like that show, but I want it to be cancelled so that Ian De Caestecker can be great in something that's actually good.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

This is a series where Iron Man 3 ends with Tony destroying his legion of AI robots as a sign that he has grown past his paranoid obsession with global defense

That's not at all what that represented and I have no idea how you got that. He did it because Pepper was pissed at him for spending all his time obsessively building new suits and was showing her that she was more important than all that work.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 3, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dudes. He destroyed his suits as a symbol of his moving past his PTSD of what he experienced in New York since all those suits were created out of his inability to rest or handle his nightmares and getting a new heart was part of that. He is Iron Man, not the suits. It was also yes a gesture to Pepper.

Whedon sucks ducking goat sacs for his Avengers movies.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 3, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dietrich posted:

He did it because Pepper was pissed at him for spending all his time obsessively building new suits

And he was obsessively building new suits becaaaauuuuse after New York he had PTSD and was scared shitless of external threats and needed to be strong enough to face them. The ending represents him overcoming that, and then at the start of AoU he's apparently regressed offscreen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
He regresses on screen and you see it happen in real time when Scarlet Witch fucks with his head and makes him see everyone dead.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Supercar Gautier posted:

And he was obsessively building new suits becaaaauuuuse after New York he had PTSD and was scared shitless of external threats and needed to be strong enough to face them. The ending represents him overcoming that, and then at the start of AoU he's apparently regressed offscreen.

you mean the start of AoU when he gets mind-hosed by Scarlet Witch? Yeah that'd probably make you do some irrational things

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Iron Legion were already built and active prior to the start of the film, unless you believe Scarlet Witch's mind-fuckery was retroactive and made Tony do things in the past.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bard Maddox posted:

Wrong, the singular of biscotti is biscotto, so the plural of Thanos is Thani

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think Whedon really got Tony's character post IM3, but the Iron Legion is portrayed as a crowd control group meant to aid the Avengers, so it's not really the same as Tony's small army of armors.

But things like relapses after trauma are a thing and the Russos handled it just fine starting with Civil War sooooo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gatts posted:

Dudes. He destroyed his suits as a symbol of his moving past his PTSD of what he experienced in New York since all those suits were created out of his inability to rest or handle his nightmares and getting a new heart was part of that. He is Iron Man, not the suits. It was also yes a gesture to Pepper.

Whedon sucks ducking goat sacs for his Avengers movies.

I don't think Whedon made Avengers Infinity War...

It was done by the Russo twins.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Wrong, the singular of biscotti is biscotto, so the plural of Thanos is Thani

Thanoxen

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Supercar Gautier posted:

The Iron Legion were already built and active prior to the start of the film, unless you believe Scarlet Witch's mind-fuckery was retroactive and made Tony do things in the past.

The Iron Legion were designed to keep civilians out of harms way, I am not sure they were even weaponized. It was the vision that made Tony try to create Ultron, which was the suit of armor around the world, not the Iron Legion which were just robo-crossing guards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

smoobles posted:

They can't go on without Space Rabbit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the idea was that the Legion would allow him to retire from being a superhero.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This reminds me, they lampshaded it but I thought it was bad character design that THor and Captain American both had short hair and short beards. Maybe it would make more sense if I'd seen all of either of their movies, but just based on this it seemed like Thor was supposed to look more haunted and also more like Odin so shouldn't he have a big beard? And isn't Cap a soldier from the 1940s and should be clean-shaven?

I'm not sure of the exact timing, but about 12 hours ago in the storyline, Thor was given a haircut by Stan Lee.

But then, if you really haven't seen the last 3 movies to explain these things, then I just nibbled your bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

There main reason the hulk narrative was abandoned was because his movie wasn't that memorable or a big hit and there's rights issues with more standalone movies and Edward Norton is a dick, so they just moved on

And that same logic applies to every film. Iron Man 2 was infamously changed to make Stark and his corporation ‘more likeable’.

Infinity War is obviously incomprehensible to anyone jumping in for the first time, but it also makes no sense to anyone who’s been paying attention. It seems to have been deliberately targeted towards people who are passingly familiar with the loose concept of superheroes, and who have maybe seen three or four films.