Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the citric acid + naptha extraction was like everybody's first attempt at making a recipe out of the erowid cookbook. its pretty legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i stilldont know why somebody tagged me for dxm though, i did that poo poo for like 3 weeks tops

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

rjmccall posted:

everything i've heard is that bezos is honestly committed to editorial independence for the media he owns

ok jeff

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

Well sure, in the same sense that a cure for cancer is good and I like moon colonies

I dislike moon colonies, they use the threat of dropping stones to enact fascism on earth.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Dominic you rat! You weren't freeing me from the drudgery of labor! You were gigging my economy up to give me the Ol' Musky Technocrat!

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

I dislike moon colonies, they use the threat of dropping stones to enact fascism on earth.

yeah, if final fantasy 8 taught me anything that's where monsters come from

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

Ban for animus.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that chain is super old and rusted

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/earnings/tesla-first-quarter-earnings-live-blog-14574290

quote:

Tesla (TSLA) reported first quarter losses $3.35 per share vs. estimates of $3.54 per share loss, according to analysts polled by FactSet, on Wednesday after the close of trading.

:bravo:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

President Beep posted:

But... that wizard came from THE MOON!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nikola suing tesla over design infringement

...irony is dead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

that chain is super old and rusted

should have made it from blocks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i stilldont know why somebody tagged me for dxm though, i did that poo poo for like 3 weeks tops

it was me

i seem to recall you saying you moved to l'il rock under the influence and frankly i was on dxm for half a year and moved to portland at that time and was on a really weird trip

saw a parallel there but it's probably just in my head

dxm is just a weird loving drug though

you get carded here for doctor mom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0806YksAQLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0806YksAQLU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh! slight conflation of stories. my brother got on crank and moved to little rock. i had a dxm jag right before i moved to fayetteville from hot springs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Enderzero posted:

is facebook trying to do some sort of neurolinguistic programming nonsense, because it sure seems like they tried to fit the word clear in here as many times as possible, like, hey we're transparent don't worry pals

i remember months ago (last year? two years ago? gently caress ican't remember) there was an article or something pointing out how "let's be clear" and "to be clear" had exploded in frequency of use

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

Ban for animus.

warhams 40k is easily on the same level as anime

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

britainime

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

oh! slight conflation of stories. my brother got on crank and moved to little rock. i had a dxm jag right before i moved to fayetteville from hot springs

lol, i was getting off of crank in 2002 the robo trip was a nice relief even though it made me weirder than i am usually

like every drugstore in pdx i was making shifty eyes buying the sizzurp

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

glad to see that the old sodastream facility will be put to good use. :unsmith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

woot, exceeding expectations :woop: :toot:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ate all the Oreos posted:

lol were you my friend back in college, because i totally did exactly what you're describing while friends watched. lighter fluid as an organic solvent, ammonia as the base, citric acid (as lemons) as the acid

i also found that if you use actual lemons instead of citric acid you can boil it down and add sugar and make something fairly close to gross lemon candy out of it
now that would be one hell of a cough drop

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

I cannot believe how many bricks and mortar stores for this poo poo there are on that drat island

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

worse actually

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

syscall girl posted:

lol, i was getting off of crank in 2002 the robo trip was a nice relief even though it made me weirder than i am usually

like every drugstore in pdx i was making shifty eyes buying the sizzurp

doesn't sizzurp refer to codeine cough syrup

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ehh. lotta creepy pedo poo poo in anime, even ones for kids. I think 40k started out more self critical and then those fascist elements were embraced in sincerity by its fan base. I played around with it as a kid but gently caress paying through the nose for that hobby though

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

doesn't sizzurp refer to codeine cough syrup

both, it may also be called “drank” and they are confused with each other by the less knowing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

OldAlias posted:

both, it may also be called “drank” and they are confused with each other by the less knowing

So what's "purp" then?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dxm is interesting but I always found serotonigenic drugs to have a ... “gross” feeling to them, idk. k and mxe are better

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

So what's "purp" then?

weed or lean. both dxm and codeine come in purple syrups for cough, makes sense they’d get confused

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I cannot believe how many bricks and mortar stores for this poo poo there are on that drat island

i shamefully bought the new necromunda

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

it would be unironically good and cool if amazon built a technology hq in gaza city

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i shamefully bought the new necromunda

that was always my favourite. cool setting and you didn’t need to spend thousands of dollars to play it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fits my needs posted:

wasn’t it a huge pain in the rear end just to get surgeons to do checklists properly

*supposedly highly educated surgeon in like 2018* lol stupid computer why would i need to wash my hands

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Wait, Who Even Asked for Self-Driving Cars in the First Place?

Cummings goes on to argue that we’re in a bubble, particularly around artificial intelligence, the key tech enabling behind autonomy. “While there is certainly a lot of great potential for AI, it is generally grossly misunderstood and overrated across the business sector,” she said. “People want to believe it’s a magic bullet but the reality is it is just another tool in the tech toolbox and not the panacea they are hoping for.”

not going to read the article but the answer to the title question is "everyone who ever got bored having to drive somewhere"

there were people trying to do it about as soon as cars were invented, with a big boost coming around the time radios were getting big where a bunch of people were like "yeah we can totally use radio to make the cars go the right place"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

not going to read the article but the answer to the title question is "everyone who ever got bored having to drive somewhere"

there were people trying to do it about as soon as cars were invented, with a big boost coming around the time radios were getting big where a bunch of people were like "yeah we can totally use radio to make the cars go the right place"

ehhh they just bring up how the demand isn't really there across everyone in the market for a car

quote:

Consumer interest? Another big no, at least broadly speaking. As is the case with electric cars, consumers haven’t actually asked for autonomy directly, and while studies show that consumers appreciate the safety benefits early semi-autonomous features provide, they’ve yet to prove that consumers are all that excited about turning over the act of driving to a machine. Seems some people actually like driving, if you can imagine. (Or at least they're wary of computer drivers.)

tho i'd argue that as the boomers age further into undriveability that the demand will appear since they still buy new cars

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Why don't they just put the car on a track? Then you don't need a computer to perfectly react to everything in the environment and try to make intuitive decisions. It wouldn't get you literally anywhere but you could build tracks along the high-traffic routes to serve as many people as possible at once.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ThePeavstenator posted:

Why don't they just put the car on a track? Then you don't need a computer to perfectly react to everything in the environment and try to make intuitive decisions. It wouldn't get you literally anywhere but you could build tracks along the high-traffic routes to serve as many people as possible at once.

You could also make them high capacity vehicles. Maybe have them run on a constant schedule? That way you can get safe AND high utilization of the tracks. Hard to put tracks on existing infrastructure. Maybe make them subterranean ways, or elevated tracks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

Wait... Stay with me here ok? What if we joined several of these cars together and removed their motors in favor of a single (larger, more efficient) motor that could pull the entire line of joined cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

we're laughing now but the next thing we know there's going to be a motherboard article about a startup that's looking to disrupt traditional rail by having every passenger bring their own car and attach it to the engine