Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unlucky7 posted:

Let me lay it down.

If I overhear someone, wander in discussion, accidentally mouse over stuff, or do a search that leads to spoilers, that is bad luck and I consider it on me. And I would be depressed but I would ultimately be fine with it.

All I am trying to say is that poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/_floridaman/status/9917701*REMOVEME*31704332289?s=21

I just feel is really pushing it.

Edit: trying to link to a tweet but it keeps embedding

Okay I completely misunderstood. I thought you were just condemning any and all discussions of the film. I know people who will yell at strangers in public over perceived spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Okay I completely misunderstood. I thought you were just condemning any and all discussions of the film. I know people who will yell at strangers in public over perceived spoilers.

No worries. Also I was trying to link an example of what I said without embedding it but the forum/app keeps fighting me

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 2, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well, he was going to kill Tony until Strange made his deal. I think it's more that he doesn't have any particular desire to go out of his way to kill the Avengers or Guardians, but he's not against killing someone to get what he needs or if they're in his way.

This is precisely why it will work in uhhh 5-6 years when the heroes inevitably have to team up with Thanos against a larger threat

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Ha!

Here's the thing from CD.

Hey wait.

So Snyder didn't actually leave JL because of his daughter's death? They forced him out and used that as an excuse? That's pretty gross.

And then they brought Whedon on and he was fired at some point? Or do they mean that he was brought on for Wonder Woman, was fired, and then they decided to give him JL ANYWAY?

WB is such a clusterfuck of a company man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ekeog posted:

This is precisely why it will work in uhhh 5-6 years when the heroes inevitably have to team up with Thanos against a larger threat

Big Thanos.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was fired after how bad jl did

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

Hey wait.

So Snyder didn't actually leave JL because of his daughter's death? They forced him out and used that as an excuse? That's pretty gross.

And then they brought Whedon on and he was fired at some point? Or do they mean that he was brought on for Wonder Woman, was fired, and then they decided to give him JL ANYWAY?

WB is such a clusterfuck of a company man.

I guess it depends on how much of this you believe.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

He was fired after how bad jl did

Whedon was fired from Batgirl yes. Possibly in connection to that letter his wife published.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno how much of that I believe Rhyno, as it makes the Snyder cut seem as if it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

I dunno how much of that I believe Rhyno, as it makes the Snyder cut seem as if it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening

Yeah, that's the hardest part to believe. But I didn't originally post it, Dark Tittymouse did.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

now it's even more suspect

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I guess it depends on how much of this you believe.

Whedon was fired from Batgirl yes. Possibly in connection to that letter his wife published.

Oh god I forgot he was involved with Batgirl.

WB you know there are other writer/directors out there, right? You don't have to keep going back to Whedon even if you don't like his work. :psyduck:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Screw the Snyder Cut. I want the Schneider Cut. Justice League as told by a sleazy, yet charming apartment super.

He would have kept the Superman mustache.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spoiler: Lol sure thing bud.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Spoiler: Lol sure thing bud.

They are real. That isn't to say they won't be undone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen Avengers 3, Black Panther, Thor 3 yet. My ranking of the Marvel movies thus far is:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Winter Soldier
4. Civil War
5. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
6. Iron Man
7. Iron Man 3
8. Ant-Man
9. First Avenger
10. Thor
11. Avengers
12. Doctor Strange
13. Age of Ultron
14. Incredible Hulk
15. Iron Man 2
16. Thor 2

I think that's all of them other than the ones I mentioned.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hope this wasn't already posted yet.

Here is a much talked about deleted scene from Black Panther, showing the confrontation between W'kabi and Okoye that basically spells out what a lot of people assumed.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

In JL she was changed to a den mother and made a love interest and butt of some gender gags like the Flash falling on her cleavage. As opposed to BvS and WW where she was pretty much no nonsense fierce saying what get opinion was and saying what was right and not taking no for an answer. The arguments she had with Batman in JL, she never would have in her own movie, she'd have said what she's going to do and then do it.

Diana acting without any oversight and thinking she always knows best was a lesson she had to learn in WW. That she can consider Batman an equal worth listening to and discussing things with is character growth. And I dunno if that Flash gag is much different from her "sleeping with men" conversation with Steve Trevor.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

Screw the Snyder Cut. I want the Schneider Cut. Justice League as told by a sleazy, yet charming apartment super.

He would have kept the Superman mustache.

The Schneider Cut is just Rob Schneider digitally inserted into every scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stepparinoooooo

Makin parademoooons

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.didthanoskill.me/

I died.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

same

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spared. Thanos knows what's up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

X-O posted:

Same

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DEAD POSTIN'

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Hell yeah, me too. I worship Thanos now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Infinity War does this thing where it's really, really good at making you excited for a scene/event/appearance that's about to happen.

You always know exactly who is going to show up a couple beats right before they do. Among other methods, the movie will start playing familiar musical cues before scene transitions actually happen, while we're still lingering on the previous scene, to start hyping you up for what's coming. And in fact, the only reason the audience knows what those cues even mean at all is due to their familiarity with previous films. Oldies funk song? The Guardians are arriving. Marching bassline on strings? Cap'n 'Murica is here. Tribal drumming? Make way for Black Panther. It's one of the ways that the film takes advantage of audience familiarity with these characters that's not just in terms of plot or exposition or worldbuilding.

It was very cool to experience this with a live audience...I don't think even other very, very iconic and popular franchises, like Star Wars, manage to establish this sort of anticipation->payoff technique in the way that this film does (though it approaches build-up and resolution in other ways).

And it's interesting to consider because, like...I'm watching this whole MCU franchise roll on with the mindset that I personally like most of these characters more or less equally, or at least that none of them pops out as a clear uncontested favorite. But I wonder what it'd be like to watch a crossover film like this -- which is The Crossover Film that it is -- when you're specifically in it for one group of characters or another, or that you're not even caught up on certain films or characters, or if you think Iron Man is the coolest but Thor is meh, or something like that. Do you still feel that rush of anticipation when you know certain characters are coming? Do you still feel catered-to with these sorts of moments that are intended to cater to your familiarity?

I guess the only thing I can compare it to is the annual DCTV crossover events where like...I'm absolutely not watching every show at this point, and I can even point to specific characters and say "I definitely don't like them. But I definitely like this other one!"...but I do still feel invested in the overall event because of how it's all woven together. And there's still this feeling of gratification when the scenes do zero-in on the characters I'm more familiar with or more attached to because it's like, awesome! This scene is more "mine" now. These are my mofos. This is the part of the test that I crammed for, and it's paying off now.

I dunno. It's just interesting to consider, but I have no real point :buddy:

edit: SPARED :parrot:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

DEAD POSTIN'

Death crew best crew.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm too old for this so I guess I'm a hopeless loser but I got frisson at dramatic moments like Cap stepping out of the shadow or when Thor arrives in Wakanda. I suppose I'm an easy mark

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Monaghan posted:

woof beat Justice League's entire international run in the span of less than a week. That's gotta sting for WB executives.

At least they got their bonuses

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/11/warner-bros-execs-refused-to-delay-justice-league-release-date-for-fear-of-losing-bonuses-report/

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gavok posted:

Big Thanos.

"It's your kids, Thanos! Something's got to be done about your kids!"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I died, which means I don't have to meet these deadlines!

honestly yeah, seeing Cap's silhouette in Scotland or Thor summoning the Bifrost to Wakanda definitely gave me chills. sooooooo good

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The theater was electric when the BP music started playing. Everyone knew exactly what was gonna happen and everyone was looking forward to it. It wasn't even much, it was just a reintroduction to Bucky, but people got super into it.

Well. Hopefully I'll be back with the rest.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

For me,

1. Infinity War
2. Captain America Winter Soldier
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. Captain America The First Avenger
6. Black Panther
7. Thor Ragnarok
8. Doctor Strange
9. Ant-Man
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Avengers
12. Thor
13. Avengers Age of Ultron
14. Iron Man
15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
16. Incredible Hulk
17. Iron Man 3
18. Iron Man 2
19. Thor The Dark World

That's pretty much mine except I'd swap GotG 2 with Age of Ultron

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's pretty much mine except I'd swap GotG 2 with Age of Ultron

I don't know, Guardians 2 may have suffered for me due to extenuating circumstances. It's the only MCU movie I didn't see in theaters as I had some personal family issues that kept me from going the first couple weeks it was in theaters and by the time I was ready to see it it was gone from all the big screens. I mean the only MCU movies I really just don't care for are the Iron Man sequels and Thor 2. The others at the bottom of the list I just like less.

Guardians 2 is also the only MCU movie besides Infinity War that I've only seen once. It’s possible it moves up. I know I liked Doctor Strange and Ant-Man a lot more on rewatches.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 3, 2018

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My list:

1. Captain America Winter Soldier
2. Black Panther
3. Infinity War
(these 3 can probably be interchanged depending on my mood at the moment)
4. Captain America Civil War
5. Avengers 1
6. Captain America First Avenger
6. Guardians of the Galaxy 1
7. Iron Man
8. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
9. Dr. Strange
10. Avengers 2
11. Iron Man 3
12. Thor
13. Iron Man 2

Haven't seen the rest.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:woop: Space Dad spared me. Yay!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

X-O posted:

I don't know, Guardians 2 may have suffered for me due to extenuating circumstances. It's the only MCU movie I didn't see in theaters as I had some personal family issues that kept me from going the first couple weeks it was in theaters and by the time I was ready to see it it was gone from all the big screens. I mean the only MCU movies I really just don't care for are the Iron Man sequels and Thor 2. The others at the bottom of the list I just like less.

Guardians 2 is also the only MCU movie besides Infinity War that I've only seen once. It’s possible it moves up. I know I liked Doctor Strange and Ant-Man a lot more on rewatches.

In a similar, yet opposite vein, I watched GOTG2 on netflix right after my my dad who was/is an addict and in prison most of my life attempted to reconnect with me again so I really have an emotional attachment to it.

also brandy and wham bam are some of my favorite songs that my grandmother would sing to me so that movie hosed me up. if they had thrown a lovin spoonful song in there I probably would've just died

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

also brandy and wham bam are some of my favorite songs that my grandmother would sing to me so that movie hosed me up. if they had thrown a lovin spoonful song in there I probably would've just died

GOTGV1's soundtrack may as well have been made by my mother. It explains a lot of why I connected so hard to that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That may be why I bounced pretty hard off GotGv2. I mean I still enjoyed it but I never really resonated with the family stuff it went for.

• Locked thread