Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm not familiar with WoW (I'm guessing that's what everyone's referring to re: Cataclysm) what happened in that expansion and why would that affect earlier zones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

MelvinBison posted:

I'm not familiar with WoW (I'm guessing that's what everyone's referring to re: Cataclysm) what happened in that expansion and why would that affect earlier zones?

the timeline of the entire non-expansion content was updated so instead of being two years ago it is “now” as of cataclysm

they did not change other expansions in doing so

you end up going back in time after level 60 not because of time travel nonsense but because blizzard thought it would be too much work

so you are left with an inconsistent narrative that confuses the poo poo out of new players who talk to three different “current” warchiefs of the horde in a single quest chain

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MelvinBison posted:

Storywise, a dragon burst out of the ground and caused a bunch of natural events, along with just loving some stuff up himself.

Gameplay wise the 1-60 experience from the base game basically got blown away - a bunch of zones saw revamps to their layouts and biomes, others got minor touchups, all basically had their quests and stories replaced. All the quests from 1-60 reflected the world state of the time (aka, after the events of the game's first two expansions.)

So to me it was kinda funny when XIV also had a dragon blow up their world so they could remake it.

e: Timeline fuckery gets even sillier for Pandaren (introduced in the expansion after Cataclsym) or Allied Races (introduced in the upcoming expansion) who are basically jumping back in time to Cata-era quests up to 60, then jumping back in time again for BC & Wrath for 60-80 before leaping forward to the remainder for 85+

Granted, this is mostly dumb when you step back at look at it - it's not nearly as bad in game since stuff in WoW doesn't really have a strong through-line like XIV so it barely matters that your jumping back and forth.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 2, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

UHD posted:

the timeline of the entire non-expansion content was updated so instead of being two years ago it is “now” as of cataclysm

they did not change other expansions in doing so

you end up going back in time after level 60 not because of time travel nonsense but because blizzard thought it would be too much work

so you are left with an inconsistent narrative that confuses the poo poo out of new players who talk to three different “current” warchiefs of the horde in a single quest chain

It's not particularly a big deal in WoW anyway since the narrative is mostly focused on specific zones and there's no overarching "MSQ" you work through until the current expansion with Legion. Even then that bit of main story progression will cease to be relevant in a gameplay sense when BOFA comes out. Hell it's not like a new player gets any closure for any of the expansions unless they do the raids anyway, which they can't/won't at an appropriate level.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think people used to joke about worgen death knights since you start by being in the past, move to the present, then the past earlier than you start, then the past you started in, then the present again.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't wait to go to the changed past Eorzea in a different dimension that's an earlier time period

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
This was for a Heavens' Eye VI materia. Always check your zeroes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tamayachi posted:

I got two Ala Mhigan Doublets of Crafting for 22k each once. I kinda wish it would show the actual seller instead of the retainer, because I genuinely would give something like that back if it looked like an honest mistake.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Vermain posted:

I got two Ala Mhigan Doublets of Crafting for 22k each once. I kinda wish it would show the actual seller instead of the retainer, because I genuinely would give something like that back if it looked like an honest mistake.

The catch-22 of this is that the seller can see who bought the item and contact you, but anyone who contacts you over it isn't worth giving it back to. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The catch-22 of this is that the seller can see who bought the item and contact you, but anyone who contacts you over it isn't worth giving it back to. :v:

Also it's difficult to impossible to prove that the person contacting you is the retainer's owner (exception for things they personally crafted since the item will say who made it). I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has watched the MB for accidents like this, then claimed to be the seller with a sob story in an attempt to get something from the buyer.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thundarr posted:

Also it's difficult to impossible to prove that the person contacting you is the retainer's owner (exception for things they personally crafted since the item will say who made it). I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has watched the MB for accidents like this, then claimed to be the seller with a sob story in an attempt to get something from the buyer.

How would they know who bought it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ride The Gravitron posted:

How would they know who bought it

The MB history gives the name of the character who bought the item and the price they paid. So a third party won't know who the chump was that listed their nagxian silk for 70 gil but they'll see who has it now.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Tamayachi posted:

I saw people selling stuff like this for NPC vendor buying prices. At least they will learn from their mistakes, I guess.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Dwesa posted:

At least they will learn from their mistakes, I guess.

These are MMO players you're talking about here.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anyone having issues with friends not receiving callback campaign emails?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vermain posted:

The crafter is listed on the item.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Lizard Wizard posted:

Anyone having issues with friends not receiving callback campaign emails?

I've seen a lot of people complaining about this on reddit, not sure what they're doing about it, sorry. Probably best to just wait a bit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why did Square make the cutscenes in the Castrums unskippable? Whose idea was that?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why did Square make the cutscenes in the Castrums unskippable? Whose idea was that?
People were skipping the cutscenes so their fix was to make them unskippable

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
They wanted first-timers to be able to enjoy the cutscenes and not feel rushed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Problem: Players would skip the cutscene and rush the dungeon while the new person was still watching the first cutscene.

Solution: Force cutscenes to autoplay and be unskippable.

Problem: Players no longer run main story roulette cause they don't want to spend 1 hour in the same dungeon

Solution: ????

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

homeless snail posted:

People were skipping the cutscenes so their fix was to make them unskippable
Smart, now players can never do the quest because nobody does MSQ roulette.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Smart, now players can never do the quest because nobody does MSQ roulette.
So who were those people I did it with the other night? G-g-g-g-ghosts??

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
MSQ roulette still gets done just fine actually.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I had to wait like half an hour as a tank.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, they did up the rewards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MSQ still gets run but it's honestly not a good fix. I just imagine they have a hell of a time actually justifying fixing an ancient dungeon most people run once when they're new.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Oh great, now I'm dreading getting there again on this character.

Those cutscenes are long too!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It makes doing them really unpleasant, honestly. I can't imagine this is a good experience for new players.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

It wouldn't be bad if they were just regular-length dungeons. It's still going to be a ridiculous curbstomp, now with unskippable cutscenes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, if you wanted to get the story out of the old version it was a much worse experience since it was just back to back to back cut scenes. It was kind of silly the recommendation was "play with some goons who will wait for you" (as the average player doesn't have access to something like that.)

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

I watched them in the inn room, generally something I only do for the raids, and also because I wanted to see the layout of the place too for future roulettes.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The Cutscene (Extreme) via roulette is about 45 minutes long, gives 400 to 500 Poe and about 1.5 levels of exp pre-55. It's very good for leveling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
After several unsuccessful runs of O7S today that didn't even get to Virus, I found myself tired, exhausted, and frustrated.

I decided to, instead of taking a break, join another party that did really well and got past Virus repeatedly... only to be dragged down by me making dumb mistakes, leaving them tired, exhausted, and frustrated.

:smithicide:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Important:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ah, Android 1.7

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

There's an enormous amount of cruft they could pare down without affecting the overall arc or any of the (very thin) character development moments that occur. I suspect that's going to be a part of the next expansion, because the current situation isn't really tenable: you either gate new players behind multiple months of working through the story, or you start offering a free jump potion with the latest expansion and create a very confusing story for people just jumping in.

What I'd do for the next expansion is:
  • Dramatically cut down on the number of MSQs in 2.X. They need to be utterly ruthless with this: if it doesn't advance the plot or provide decent characterization, junk it. Compress every Primal arc into maybe 4-5 quests of prep work. Get rid of any quest that's just "run over here and talk to this guy"; don't waste the time of new players. Be a bit more lenient with Heavensward, but there's still a few areas you could trim without losing much. The only thing I think you could bother to trim in Stormblood are some of the Ruby Sea quests, but the story's put together coherently enough that cutting would probably damage it more than it would help it.
  • Revamp the Heavensward aether currents so that they're all present in single quests without requiring chains, and possibly cut down on the number of currents required in general.
  • Increase MSQ EXP across the board to require few to no sidequests or additional roulettes to be done by the player to stay on curve. Level syncing on major content pieces means that overleveling concerns aren't an issue.
The first point is what'll take them the most time, and I suspect it's why they've been hesitant to do it. You don't have quite the same number of issues to solve as WoW did with Cataclysm, but you've still got to make the new player experience more bearable and quicker to complete, and that'll eat up into a significant chunk of narrative development time.

I agree with all this, of course, but there is a fourth, hidden improvement that will reduce not just MSQ time, but actually reduce all questing time by at least 25%: Remove every single camera cut where the characters are literally just looking at each other and nodding.

I bought the ARR skip potion once I had killed Ultima Weapon and checked how many quests were actually left before I could move on to HW. I used the book in the inn to read up on the last events that happened before you're whisked off to Ishgard and had no problems at all with following the story when it was revisited in late HW/SB.

Edit: Actually, reading it again I think the aether currents are fine, but they would be even more fine if they gave you a bit of EXP when you picked them up. Not much but like 20k+100% with RT60.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 3, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

For how long the cutscenes are they really don't exposit much that's important at all. Even gameplay wise, of all the ridiculous things you're expected to know how to do in Castrum maybe one of them has an establishing shot suggesting you need to go somewhere next.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yoshi P's nefarious plan to expose more ears to Cid's ARR English voice. This man must be stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Vermain posted:

I don't take pity on fat cat 1% crafters :colbert: