Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'll throw in a suggestion for Glyn Williams' Arctic Labyrinth, which is also broad in what it covers, but some of the early expeditions of guys like Hudson, Ross and Frobisher weren't picnics, either.

Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition by Owen Beattie and John Geiger is a must read for anyone interested in the Franklin Expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I've been getting super into AMC's The Terror lately, but having spoiled the ending to the novel it's based on for myself, I've decided I'd much rather read some non-fiction about the incident.

I've seen a few posts in here about The Lost Franklin Expedition, and the ships and crews involved, but was wondering what specific suggestions the thread had. I feel like I've heard good things about The Man Who Ate His Boots in here, and I know it's broader than just the Franklin expedition. How about that one?
There's an older thread about arctic exploration in general, if you have archives: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655083

I highly recommend Cherry Apsley-Gerrard's The Worst Journey in the World, a first-person account from a Scott Expedition survivor.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

pookel posted:

I highly recommend Cherry Apsley-Gerrard's The Worst Journey in the World, a first-person account from a Scott Expedition survivor.

I’m gonna second this. It’s a wild read.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

He liked to contact old victims and leave creepy messages. Getting off on power over others might be his whole thing, so we may not get anything. I'm just hoping we do.

He also liked to do things like rearrange small things, or take small things that won't be immediately missed just to gently caress with them for days or weeks after the attacks. He'd also make a meal and eat it at their table after the attacks as well. So I also think he's going to stay silent. The only thing I can think of is that he MIGHT want other people he did something to (or their families if they're dead) to know it was him that had that power over them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Does anyone have any good articles or local legends that I could use for tabletop RPG ideas? It's a Supernatural-style ghost and monster hunting campaign across America, but I'm tired of just using ghosts and vampires. Some other ones I've got are Count Carl Von Cosel surviving as a necromancer in Key West and creating a platoon of patchwork zombies and an MRA warlock using stolen black magic to try and redirect the fire underneath Centralia to destroy a building in Philadelphia through human sacrifices of the entire remaining population (made more complicated by the megalomaniacal warlock he stole the tomes from coming after him).

I like stuff that can be connected to an interesting real world area or legend, instead of just interchangeable fictional small towns in the Midwest.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Does anyone have any good articles or local legends that I could use for tabletop RPG ideas? It's a Supernatural-style ghost and monster hunting campaign across America, but I'm tired of just using ghosts and vampires. Some other ones I've got are Count Carl Von Cosel surviving as a necromancer in Key West and creating a platoon of patchwork zombies and an MRA warlock using stolen black magic to try and redirect the fire underneath Centralia to destroy a building in Philadelphia through human sacrifices of the entire remaining population (made more complicated by the megalomaniacal warlock he stole the tomes from coming after him).

I like stuff that can be connected to an interesting real world area or legend, instead of just interchangeable fictional small towns in the Midwest.

HH Holmes' murder house? Not really a legend because it existed, but something based off it might be fun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also for the Carl Von Cosel thing, I plan on having one of the enemies in the final encounter being the zombified Elena Hoyos. She looks exactly the same as she did in her casket after he was done "fixing" her decomposing body.

Imagine this trying to strangle you to death:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

chitoryu12 posted:

Memphis, TN has Voodoo Village. Lots of talk about that place growing up.
Nothing supernatural in real-life, just people fed up with white kids running around looking for a scary time.

Edit: The legends

quote:

In Memphis though, the word conjures up a series of buildings behind a fence, surrounded by sculptures and symbols.

Memphis’ Voodoo Village is known for its sculptures, symbols and series of buildings contained in a south Memphis compound, not to mention some spooky stories.

Kim Anderson has heard many stories, “When I was in high school, I used to hear that when people used to go over there during prom times and their cars would cut off.”

For years, people, mostly teens, have dared to drive by the area off Shelby Drive, even documenting it in photos and internet videos.

Stories range from dead animals hanging in trees, to cars to being chased by people practicing voodoo.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 22:10 on May 2, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

By me, off the top my head is Munger Road in Carol Stream.

http://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/munger-road/

Another one in nearby Glendale Heights is the train viaduct that runs under Bloomingdale Road.

http://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/bloomingdale-road-bride/

Maybe you can use something since they’re both (loosely) railroad related.

Also, poke around that site, it should give you plenty of seeds (you’ll probably need to google more to get the full legend)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bachelor's Grove.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Georgia Guidestones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

The Jersey Devil and the Mothman are two favorites of mine. You could also base something off of the story of Elizabeth Bathory if you're inclined. I also very much like the potential the Wendigo could provide in a story too.

Transmogrifier has a new favorite as of 22:37 on May 2, 2018

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

chitoryu12 posted:

A local legend in my area is of a tribe of crazy albinos living on a disused back road called Constitution drive. Growing up I heard stories that if you went to explore the area you'd return to your car find things like a severed pigs head thrown through the windshield, lots of footprints, etc. If someone stayed too long they would never be heard from again, of course. Total bullshit, and iirc a reclusive old man lives in the dilapidated old house that is one of the sources of the legend.

http://pennsylvaniaparanormal.tumblr.com/post/143058253928/constitution-drive-this-desolate-allentown-pa

Ofc my friends went and checked it out at like 2 am when I was a teenager. We were pulled over by a cop and told we were idiots and to clear off. I feel like folklore about tribes of crazed inbreds is Americana as gently caress though, so maybe it'll be of use to you

Revins has a new favorite as of 22:48 on May 2, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh hey there’s a story I haven’t heard in a while. Never went myself but I had friends who were bored enough to try going for a visit. :allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's a couple cool little spooky spots/stories in Chicago.

The Drake Hotel

Resurrection Mary

The Devil danced at Kaiser Hall

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

I've always loved the Water Babies of Pyramid Lake. Having camped out there for years I can attest that there are some really insanely creepy noises at night.

quote:

Since even before settlers arrived there were long tales of ghostly, demonic spirits inhabiting the clear waters, such as serpents and a type of water imp that were known as Water Babies. These specters are said to look like babies with visages twisted by rage and hate, and they are claimed to lurk under the surface waiting for victims to wander too close, which they will then drag down to their deaths. The story of how these bizarre creatures came to be varies. One version propagated mostly by early European settlers was that the Paiute had the disturbing habit of disposing of unwanted or deformed newborns by throwing them into the lake to drown. This was allegedly done to weed out the weak and keep the tribe strong, and it is these abandoned, murdered babies that prowl the water. It is a ghoulish story to be sure, but is likely based on exaggeration aimed at making the Natives look like savages. The Paiute themselves say that the Water Babies are the result of a great serpent who one day emerged to feed on the baby of a mother who was washing clothes. The demonic serpent then took the form of the baby and began devouring the mother as well, only stopping when it made a deal with the village shaman that it would be allowed to prowl the lake in exchange for letting the mother live.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ruddiger posted:

There's a couple cool little spooky spots/stories in Chicago.

The Drake Hotel

Resurrection Mary

The Devil danced at Kaiser Hall

Ha, I never knew The Drake was supposed to be haunted.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Have you checked out any of the Delta Green sourcebooks?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ooooo, I love urban legends.

The Massapequa Devil House!

http://www.massapequaobserver.com/haunted-houses-in-massapequa/

It was a fine Long Island tradition to drive by it to spook ourselves out. The daytime pictures in that article don't do it justice, it's much creepier at night.

Bonus content in that article is the Amityville Horror house. It's been remodeled to not look quite so like the original one, and the current owners also changed the address to avoid attention. Could be fun to drop clues for your players and see if they could figure out why 108 Ocean Ave (not 112) is significant.

I also recall late night drives to Tiny Town in Merrick, NY. As the name suggests, the houses are tiny (some only 12 feet wide), and strangely laid out on super narrow concentric circle streets right in the middle of an area of normal houses on normal streets. Back in the day, it was rumored to be populated entirely by retired dwarfs, midgets and other circus "freaks", who would throw things at your car or otherwise threaten you if you went to gawk at the houses at night.

Despite what this thread would have you believe, truth sometimes is more boring than fiction; they're just tiny cottages from a Methodist campground in the 1800's (drat you internet, always spoiling the magic). But when it's 1am and you're a high-as-balls 18 year old packed into a car with someone who is terrified of little people, it was a spooky ride. Maybe be kinda interesting for your pc's to find a Tiny Town that isn't just an urban legend, and really is populated by a strange, insular community of crazy circus folk?

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here

Oh hey I've been there! When we visited, there was a kid laying in the center of them staring up at the sky. Good stuff.

Also pretty much all of northeast GA is haunted. Probably cuz there's nothing better to do if you die there.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Judas Horse posted:

Oh hey I've been there! When we visited, there was a kid laying in the center of them staring up at the sky. Good stuff.
I'd never heard of that, and it looks cool as hell. One site I just looked at says it's visible from Hwy 77. Do you just pull over and walk up to it, or...? Just wondering how accessible it is.

quote:

Also pretty much all of northeast GA is haunted. Probably cuz there's nothing better to do if you die there.
This, but all of Virginia. I'm struggling to think of some cool places that don't involve ghosts, but dang if Old Dominion doesn't love its colonial/revolutionary war/civil war ghosts. Occasionally there's the "railroad worker who got decapitated and you can see his lantern as he searches for his head" ghost story to spice things up.

We did have a moon tree in the town I used to live in, though. This is more interesting than unnerving, though you could certainly put a spooky twist on it. In 1971, Apollo 14 carried a variety of tree seeds to see if microgravity affected their ability to germinate. On re-entry the can broke open, the seeds got all mixed up, and NASA thought, "ehhh, gently caress it". They gave the seeds to the Nat'l Forest Service, who planted them all over the country. And whaddya know, they sprouted and thrived, and I can testify that 47 years later one is still going strong in eastern Virginia.

And now those trees are just biding their time for the sentient plant takeover. (I'm just spit-balling. I've never watched Supernatural, never DMed, and I think there's a reason I'm not an author.)

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
Tennessee has the Bell Witch. Might be worth a look.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Apologies for the Wikipedia links but most of these I know from books

The Beast of Bray Road already sounds like a good RPG hook from name alone.

The Beast of Bladenboro was most likely some kind of wildcat but supposedly it was some kind of vampire cat

Either supernatural or some kind of alien

This one isn't actually too far from where I lived, I still know people who swear it's some kind of demon like the Jersey Devil

This one I can't find a specific name for, but Quebec has a very rich tradition of werewolves as well, with the cause being going 7 Easter's in a row without communion.

I'll stop for now because I love this kind of thing and I can go on all day.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Get yourself a copy of this book, I gave mine to Goodwill a few years ago to clear shelf space but it's exactly what you want.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/ha...7RoCVjgQAvD_BwE

Includes a piece on my local legend, the White Lady of Union Cemetery and a lot of others. You can browse the book and find things that you can find more about online.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've always loved the Water Babies of Pyramid Lake. Having camped out there for years I can attest that there are some really insanely creepy noises at night.
Pyramid Lake is just an eerie place in general. It doesn't feel like it should even be there. Walker Lake is another big creepy lake in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, Nevada, if you're into that sort of thing.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
You could look into some of the old paranormal threads too to see if anything pops out. Even some of the ghost stories have really cool elements that are worth cribbing.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'd never heard of that, and it looks cool as hell. One site I just looked at says it's visible from Hwy 77. Do you just pull over and walk up to it, or...? Just wondering how accessible it is.

You can just walk up to it! There's nothing around it and it's on a gravel road when I went. Really interesting spot to just see a bizarre Georgia Stonehenge when I was driving to an interview at a horse ranch.

Also I do not doubt it at all with Virginia. I've been there a couple of times (including on a greyhound) and it just feels cursed as gently caress.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There's that Weird US site/books series, though I think it's been a while since the site was updated. The bits aren't particularly deep, but there's just enough to be the start of an interesting local folklore adventure.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If you don't want to choose what kind of paranormal story you want, just set it somewhere in the Uintah Basin near Skinwalker Ranch. Werewolves, ghosts, UFOs, lake monsters, government conspiracies, that place has it all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is some good poo poo.

catlord posted:

There's that Weird US site/books series, though I think it's been a while since the site was updated. The bits aren't particularly deep, but there's just enough to be the start of an interesting local folklore adventure.

That's actually where I first learned about Carl Tanzler. I even bought the book Undying Love, which goes into insane amounts of detail and even his personal journal entries. You can use the Wikipedia page on him to get the gist, but the book is the definitive source on the case and I compiled information from several sources for the RPG:

quote:

The “count” was really Carl Tanzler, born Georg Karl Tänzler in Dresden, Germany on February 8, 1877. In 1920, he married Doris Anna Shafer and had two children: Ayesha Tanzler in 1922 and Crystal Tanzler in 1924. He made trips across the world, interested in making flying machines and boats, and found himself in Australia when World War I broke out. As a German, he was imprisoned in a concentration camp, followed by a castle-like prison on Trial Bay. He was one of several inmates plotting an escape with a sailboat, by which point he had already been under the pseudonym “Count Carl von Cosel” after a supposed ancestor, Countess Anna Constantia von Cosel. When the war ended, no prisoners were permitted to return home; instead, they were all shipped to a prisoner exchange in Holland. Tanzler returned to Germany and lived with his mother for 3 years before she suggested that he immigrate to the United States to live with his sister, who already moved to Zephyrhills, Florida.

Tanzler and his wife and kids moved in with his sister in Zephyrhills (coming by way of Havana, leaving from Rotterdam) on February 6, 1926. Only a year later, however, he left his family behind to move to Key West, accepting a job as a radiological technologist (running the X-ray machine) at the US Marine Hospital there. He continued under his “Count Carl von Cosel” pseudonym, living in a small home made from the remains of butcher pens on Rest Beach.

During his time in Germany, Tanzler supposedly received visions from his ancestor of an exotic, dark-haired beauty who would be his one true love. He believed he found it in Maria Elena Milagro de Hoyos, or “Helen” to her close friends and family. On April 22, 1930, Elena Hoyos was brought to the hospital by her mother for examination and Tanzler immediately fell in love with the local beauty. She was diagnosed with tuberculosis, an often fatal disease that was ravaging Key West at the time (believed to be passed by workers in the cigar factories, where they worked in close quarters; Elena was the daughter of a cigar maker). As her condition worsened, Tanzler (with self-professed medical knowledge and claims of having 9 degrees) was invited to the Hoyos home with x-ray machines, electrical equipment, and medicine to try and cure their young daughter. He showered Elena with gifts and professed his love for her, but she gently rebuffed his advances: she was already legally married since 1926 to Luis Mesa, who had abandoned her to live in Miami after she suffered a miscarriage. On October 25, 1931, Hoyos died of the disease at the age of 22.

Tanzler paid for her funeral, and she was buried in the Key West Cemetery. Fearing that the rains and moisture in the soil would contaminate and disintegrate her coffin (a problem common to Key West due to its tropical environment and closeness to sea level), Tanzler convinced Elena Hoyos’s remaining family to let him build a concrete mausoleum to keep her in. Her body was kept in a formaldehyde tank inside a stainless steel casket, to preserve her body as well as possible. Tanzler had a phone line installed so he could talk to and sing to her corpse, and he visited almost every night even as the locals became suspicious.

Finally, one evening in April 1933, Tanzler snuck into the mausoleum and stole Hoyos’s body. He used a toy wagon to transport the corpse to his shack, where he had purchased and built a wingless kit plane as an “airship” for the two of them. He dressed the corpse and treated it practically as a living person, even as it rapidly decayed. He connected her bones with wire and coat hangers and replaced her disintegrated eyeballs with glass eyes. As her skin rotted, he replaced it with silk cloth soaked in wax and plaster of Paris. When her hair fell out, he used hair collected from her as it fell out from disease to fashion a wig. Her empty torso was stuffed with rags to keep its figure. Massive amounts of perfume, disinfectant, and preservatives were used to mask the smell of decay. Information revealed in 1972 claims that Tanzler inserted a paper tube into the body’s vagina to have sex with his beloved. He was convinced that Hoyos spoke to him from beyond the grave and was not truly dead.

In 1936, Tanzler moved the body to a more secluded location: a small two-room shack on what is now Flagler Avenue, in an area of Key West that was nothing but mangrove jungles 2 miles from town. Life went on for everyone else: Elena Hoyos’s parents died (the father in 1934 and mother in 1940) of tuberculosis. Tanzler’s daughter, Crystal, died of diphtheria in 1934 at the age of 10.

Elena’s sister, Florinda “Nana” Milagro de Hoyos (married to construction worker Mario Medina), heard rumors of Tanzler sleeping with her sister’s corpse in October 1940; it’s believed that a young boy saw Tanzler dancing with a “big doll” through the window as he passed by, and others had seen Tanzler bringing copious amounts of perfume and preservative to his Rest Beach home where organ music could be heard late at night. She found Tanzler’s “laboratory” in the mangrove jungle and demanded to see her sister. Tanzler calmly guided her to the other room, where Elena Hoyos’s doll-like body was wearing a wedding dress.

Tanzler was arrested, and the apparent “giant doll” was autopsied and determined to be the mutilated corpse of Elena Hoyos. It was put on public display at the Dean-Lopez funeral home, where more than 6800 people are recorded to have viewed it as photographs were snapped for tabloids. Tanzler was deemed sane enough to stand trial, despite claiming that he would take her body into the stratosphere with his “airship” where he thought the radiation would bring her tissues back to life. Amazingly, the public was incredibly sympathetic toward Tanzler: he was viewed as an “eccentric romantic” of sorts, rather than harmful. A group of Cuban prostitutes once showed up to his cell offering free services, and friends posted a $1000 bail for him.

A preliminary hearing was held on October 9, 1940. To the dismay of some prosecutors, all of Tanzler’s crimes were covered by a statute of limitations that had long expired in the 7 years he had held onto the body. With no crimes that he could be charged with, the Count was released. Elena’s body was buried in a secret unmarked grave, and the mausoleum was destroyed (some say Tanzler himself dynamited it).

In 1944, Tanzler moved back to Pasco County, where he lived in a small shack near Zephyrhills. His estranged wife, Doris, continued to help provide for him. He wrote an autobiography that appeared in Fantastic Adventures in 1947, and he sold mementoes and told his story to tourists. He used a death mask of Elena made before her burial to create a life-size wax figure of her, his obsession continuing long after her demise. In 1950, he went to Tampa to receive American citizenship. Rumors abound that he had Elena’s body secretly switched with the wax dummy, but no evidence supports this.

Finally, on July 3, 1952, Carl Tanzler was found 3 weeks after his death. It’s unknown whether he died in the arms of the Hoyos effigy, as some have claimed, or on the floor behind one of his organs. He was 75 years old.

In 1944, Mario Medina was killed trying to rescue a crane operator from a downed power line at a construction site, and Nana Hoyos died the same year of tuberculosis. Doris Tanzler died May 11, 1977 at the age of 88. Ayesha Tanzler died in 1998 at the age of 76.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 03:20 on May 3, 2018

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The only local lore I have in my neck of the woods relates to Abe Lincoln's obscure childhood friend and mental health on the frontier.

Matthew Gentry, a close friend of Lincoln (and distant relative of mine), went insane while Lincoln was visiting and tried to kill himself and his family. He was considered a brilliant, if depressed, young man until that point. Given that it was still frontier Indiana all they could do was tie him up. Lincoln visited years later on the campaign trail for Henry Clay and found his old friend miserable and off in his own personal hell, howling into the night. Some eccentric locals, especially those of the Gentry family, like to claim Matthew's ghost hangs around the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial. Mostly those stories are just told because Gentry going insane was the impetus for Lincoln's trip to New Orleans, because everyone was convinced Lincoln would lose it if he hung around because his life in Indiana was a parade of poo poo.

Lincoln wrote a poem about his visit with Matthew in 1846, and it's understandably morbid.

But here's an object more of dread
Than ought the grave contains -
A human with reason fled,
While wretched life remains.

https://www.nps.gov/libo/learn/historyculture/matthew-gentry.htm

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
How about the largest Pauper's Cemetery in the world? An entire island in Long Island Sound dedicated to burying those with no way to pay for it. If your loved one was one of the over ONE MILLION people buried in one of the mass graves there, you weren't even allowed to visit until 2015.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

catlord posted:

I second this. There's also the Big Book of X series. I have urban legends, hoaxes, and whatever the conspiracy theory one is. Packed full of information and creepy art.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That Carl Tanzler stuff is all quite insane, but for some reason this bit in particular really stood out to me.

chitoryu12 posted:

Finally, on July 3, 1952, Carl Tanzler was found 3 weeks after his death. It’s unknown whether he died in the arms of the Hoyos effigy, as some have claimed, or on the floor behind one of his organs. He was 75 years old.

Am I to understand that this Frankenstein motherfucker had multiple organs? Like, the piano? It wasn’t enough that everyone who walked within 20 yards of him automatically heard this poo poo playing in their head, he had to be ready to get spooky no matter what. What an insane creep.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ariong posted:

That Carl Tanzler stuff is all quite insane, but for some reason this bit in particular really stood out to me.

Am I to understand that this Frankenstein motherfucker had multiple organs? Like, the piano? It wasn’t enough that everyone who walked within 20 yards of him automatically heard this poo poo playing in their head, he had to be ready to get spooky no matter what. What an insane creep.

That's exactly what the obituary said.

Undying Love is an excellent book if you're interested in the true depths of his insanity. A Kindle copy is $4 and it uses excerpts from his journal to really paint how his brain was twisting everything.

quote:

I prepared, as always, her little Christmas tree, decorating it with silver tinsel, cotton snow, and with small wax candles instead of electric bulbs. I placed the tree on a bench beside her bed with little gifts, such as picture books, chocolate, cakes, cookies, perfume, soap, face powder, etc., which she liked when alive. For me, she will never die but will live on with me, and I shall always treat and respect her as a living person.

On Christmas Eve I lit the candles on the tree, there were just thirteen of them, and placing her crucifix nearby I told her:

“Elena! It is Christmas!” Then taking my seat at the organ, I played “Silent Night” until the lights on the tree were burning down. Going to her bed and seating myself beside her, I lifted her veil and kissed her on the lips:

“Elena, darling, we are all alone in this world—you and I and our God—but we are happy and contented. Let us stay together forever.” There was a small bottle of Rhine wine on the table, another Christmas gift. I opened the bottle and filled one glass, raising it with a prayer to our God for his blessing. I drank half of it and drew the other half into my mouth. Lifting her veils again, I pressed my lips firmly against hers which were open just a little. Thus slowly, I forced the wine into her mouth…. The air from my lungs entered hers and caused her bosom to rise. I released my lips and she breathed out again, but retained all of the wine, not a single drop spilled on her bridal array. I used this method of feeding her at different times with certain solutions when I wanted to be sure they went home where I wanted them to.

quote:

Of course, there was no risk of infection whatsoever, as Elena’s body was now aseptic. Her nostrils were sealed with cotton but her ears were now open. While seated close to her, I noticed what seemed like a faint breathing movement of her breast…I got my stethoscope to listen to her chest for a while. There was no regular heart beat, but there was the sound of flowing liquid into the vessels, then a pause, then a sound of flowing again, with some kind of an irregular flutter in between. Her body was still warm to the touch since the incubation, but she had already lost considerable blood temperature. It was only natural that she was gradually cooling out again. To slow this down as much as possible, I covered her over completely with the silk quilt, at least for the duration of the cool weather.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

chitoryu12 posted:

All I can think of here is the Maco light (which is lame), and the Beast of Bladenboro (a chupacabra clone),

Setting wise we have the stories about Acid Park (all verifiably untrue but college kids don't know that), the Brown Mountain lights and my personal fave the Devil's Tramping Ground

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

I've been to Bachelor's Grove cemetery. At least during the day it isn't very scary. Tons of folklore associated with it though.

If you want stuff like the Weird state book series, check out the Weird NJ website: http://weirdnj.com/

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used this in a game once, and it worked pretty well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_(doll)

Also, this is entirely natural, but there's a lot that could be done with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Millhopper_Geological_State_Park

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Everything this guy wrote about his coworker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duz posted:

Everything this guy wrote about his coworker: