Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Whatever emotions or outfits you like is all that's good?

Nothing you can spend steel on makes an in game difference, it's all cosmetic. Except for item crates but you get so many items from leveling up anyways they are pretty pointless.

I don’t know you can upgrade gear and poo poo and I have no clue what to use. I really suck rear end at this and I feel like I’m just reinforcing my bad habits as I play more. All the character guides I find are a year old and out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just be boring and use gear that has +5% better everything instead of the insane poo poo that’s +20 one stat, -20% everything else.

I don’t like to use those crazy swing stat gear pieces because I don’t want damage/stamina to change drastically as I switch between gear stat modes (4v4) and non gear stat modes 1v1, 2v2).

What character would you like a current guide for?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 8, 2018

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You can upgrade your gears with steel and salvage. Salvage you can get from salvaging gears that you don't use. Salvage the gear for salvage. Get it? :v

I wouldn't bother much about upgrading unless you're gonna stop at Rep 2/4/6 when you get guaranteed (does not drop mix of current and previous colors, which happen at Rep 1/3/5/7) blue/purple/yellow (Rare/Heroic/Epic) gears. Also you can copy gear looks (probably have to be of same color) from one to another. Max gear grade is teal (Legendary) and you can get guaranteed drop at Rep 8.

As for gear stats, most people just aim for all-round 3 stats boost ones, but if you don't care much about Block damage (damage applied to enemy when they block your attack) then you can get something else. Not that gear stats matter if you're not playing 4v4.

edit: Some people (I think Reddit, forgot) were arguing about having Defense boost stat or not due to Armor Penetration. Apparently if your Defense boost stat is flat 0% then armor penetration does not apply because you don't have any extra defense. Armor penetration seems to be a must just because most people use 3 + stats gears so they get defense bonus, but defense bonus doesn't seem to be necessary as long as you just keep it at 0%.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 8, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I read on Reddit that you can sacrifice defense and try to get it to be +0% because everyone piles on defense penetration which only works against the bonus gear defense.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Shear Modulus posted:

I read on Reddit that you can sacrifice defense and try to get it to be +0% because everyone piles on defense penetration which only works against the bonus gear defense.
Pretty much. In that sense you can probably also ignore Defense Penetration too.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
In that sense you can ignore all of it and wear the prettiest hats.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man I finally bought this and I'm having an absolute blast (occasionally interrupted by rage bouts when I miss a Parry)

Are there any stats from Ubi about the playerbase? I know due to server issues plenty of people bailed on the game, but is it picking up since the dedicated server changes? Can I expect more content in the future?

Also I'm terrible, but if there are eu goons playing this and don't mind an awful teammate that will probably hit you by accident and gently caress up your chain, I'd love to join.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Also I'm terrible, but if there are eu goons playing this and don't mind an awful teammate that will probably hit you by accident and gently caress up your chain, I'd love to join.

Echoing this, but I'm us. I saw the discord in the op but was wondering if we had a steam group or something so we can just scrub it up.

Cent chat- with the gb after parry Nerf, is the best parry punish always the knee to the face- Spartan kick - fish for lights into grab combos?

Also I guess cent is... Not as good as he used to be? I just picked the game back up from launch, and he seems hilariously good and it's freaking me out when people say he's super nerfed now. I guess anything feels op after you mained release nobusbi.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm pretty bad but I swear the loving Cent is my bane. I can never avoid his grab into knockdown into sword to my chest combo.

INCREDIBILIS.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

In that sense you can ignore all of it and wear the prettiest hats.
^ this guy gets it

Double Monocle posted:

Cent chat- with the gb after parry Nerf, is the best parry punish always the knee to the face- Spartan kick - fish for lights into grab combos?

Also I guess cent is... Not as good as he used to be? I just picked the game back up from launch, and he seems hilariously good and it's freaking me out when people say he's super nerfed now. I guess anything feels op after you mained release nobusbi.
Centurions are currently really easy to beat if you just.... block them.
If you don't even attempt to parry they can't trick you with charged heavy attacks anymore, which means the only other way to falcon punch is with the unblockable that you can see coming from miles away.

Apparently they're gonna get buffed soon though!

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
I guess I'm still at the scrub tier because I've never seen anyone just go full turtle. I've had defensive players but normally the mix up is strong enough they are a missed tech away from ADMORTEM INNUMICUES. Normally I can open the super defensive people up by faking heavies into gbs. I got the (idiot newbie) impression that cent was designed to crack open turtles and it's sorta sad to hear at actually good player skill that's not the case.

Also hosing bashes with your leap attack is the most satisfying thing ever.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
God your right lol. Been playing with a bud who's running the law and most of our games are just loud angry men shouting Latin at the poor dude we are.pummeling.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 18, 2018

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big scrub as well and I regularly see Cents owning people left and right in my games. But it's always because people keep trying to parry their variable-timed heavies, which ultimately leads to them getting pounced on.

If the opponent just blocks then soft-feinting into a guardbreak doesn't really work either, since they can fully focus on counter-guardbreaking as the heavy itself is no threat.

The Cent's kick, his other anti-turtle tool, is also fairly predictable since you can only do it if you dodge forwards. Even if you do land it you only really get a single guaranteed light out of it, which is pitiful if you compare it to the Highlander's kick that leads to a guaranteed 40 damage. (Kinda apples and oranges, but still)
Edit: I guess a better comparison would be the Conqueror's dodge shieldbash, which they can do after after either a forward dodge or a side dodge. It's also way faster and much harder to punish.

... Also isn't the ADMORTEM line from the Lawbringer? ;)

Exodee fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 18, 2018

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Exodee posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big scrub as well and I regularly see Cents owning people left and right in my games. But it's always because people keep trying to parry their variable-timed heavies, which ultimately leads to them getting pounced on.

If the opponent just blocks then soft-feinting into a guardbreak doesn't really work either, since they can fully focus on counter-guardbreaking as the heavy itself is no threat.

The Cent's kick, his other anti-turtle tool, is also fairly predictable since you can only do it if you dodge forwards. Even if you do land it you only really get a single guaranteed light out of it, which is pitiful if you compare it to the Highlander's kick that leads to a guaranteed 40 damage. (Kinda apples and oranges, but still)
Edit: I guess a better comparison would be the Conqueror's dodge shieldbash, which they can do after after either a forward dodge or a side dodge. It's also way faster and much harder to punish.

... Also isn't the ADMORTEM line from the Lawbringer? ;)

... oh poo poo they Dodge back? Ok.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Exodee posted:

I guess a better comparison would be the Conqueror's dodge shieldbash, which they can do after after either a forward dodge or a side dodge. It's also way faster and much harder to punish.
I don't think they ever fixed the bug that lets you guaranteed chain shieldbashes into each other until the person runs out of stamina, either.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

I don't think they ever fixed the bug that lets you guaranteed chain shieldbashes into each other until the person runs out of stamina, either.
Nah there's too much of a delay in between bashes. Which you can now test yourself by the way because they've finally added a proper practice mode

Edit: Also it would cost more stamina than it drains anyway, so it's not really all that useful beyond ledging

Exodee fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 19, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Exodee posted:

Nah there's too much of a delay in between bashes.

Yes but there is a bug that completely removes the delay and lets you just powerslam people infinitely. And they definitely run out of stamina while you still have at least 30% left. I don't know that they ever patched it and it's an extremely easy bug to pull off.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

From what I can gather you used to be able to hold your charged attack while bashing to skip a part of the delay, but from testing with a bot (that's set to dodge everything I throw at it) it just dodges the second bash without fail.

Even if I just set the bot to passive, shield bash spamming exhausts me quicker than it does the bot, so I'm pretty sure that's been fixed.
You'll definitely do the second bash much quicker than otherwise though, but since you don't really get anything out of it (while giving the enemy a shitton of revenge meter to boot) I don't think that's very useful compared to just throwing out the guaranteed light attack.

Edit: However there's a new exploit with the newly buffed Centurion, who can almost infinitely chain his light into unblockable after a single succesful knockdown. You can try to parry it but the timing is extremely tight. Apparently that'll get hotfixed soon though.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 20, 2018

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Free weekend coming up. You can preload starting tomorrow.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Thinking of checking this out, is starter edition ok?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spb posted:

Thinking of checking this out, is starter edition ok?

There's apparently a free weekend literally this coming weekend so do that instead.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
The 2 main problems with this game are:

1. Not enough players to provide an actual skill curve for matchmaking, I can only find balanced teams post 12am EST

2. Most the heroes rely on 1 moveset to attack, you see certain heroes using 1 tactic exclusively to deal any sort of damage and abuse mechanics.

Start with an assassin or any other fast hero like the kensai, it will prep you for the slower, fat characters.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
As a complete chump finding games isn’t a problem but that seems pretty typical of most games once you actually make it to the upper levels. Player count is harder to get because people usually go by steam numbers but you can buy it directly on uplay too. I got my key from the humble store and it wasn’t a steam key.

When I stopped playing last night uplay popped up an ad for “up to” 75% off for honor but when I checked the store it wasn’t active yet. Check again this afternoon when he free weekend kicks in. If the full version really is 75% off I’d say that’s for sure worth it but hey you can try it for free anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Don't buy starter editions, neither here nor in Siege, you save some cash but they ramp the costs of everything in-game up an insane amount.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The game on uplay is priced at £8~ currently, what version is that? It doesn't even say. I was told to avoid the starter edition.

edit: I figured it out, the versions are shown on a separate link at the bottom of the page, sneaky Ubisoft. Starter is £8, standard version is £12.50. I really enjoyed what little I've played so far so I'll take the plunge.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think you can buy the season pass off the starter for the same price, which saves you the four dollars diff between starter and base, and it goes on sale sometimes. But if you'd getting the base for <$15 do it. It'll help the devs and you'll have more options if you don't like just the starter bundle classes for some reason. They're good, but variety is nice, and new heroes cost about 8h playtime in currency.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
This game owns for $15 but I can’t even get any of my friends to download it for the free weekend.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Last played this in Open Beta. Decided to pick it back up for the free weekend. Berserker is still loads of fun.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got this because of the discount. So far I haven't learned even half of the stuff. I just know the basic block, attack and guard break. Some people are doing crazy poo poo special moves.

Been enjoying it, I played a bunch of Kensei. Not sure how good he is but I am getting a ton of kills as him every game. The only people I have trouble dueling was other Kensei. Viking/slow dudes were super easy to fight.

Any tips on when you are 1v2? I try rolling but I get confused with all the guard indicators.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ulio posted:

Got this because of the discount. So far I haven't learned even half of the stuff. I just know the basic block, attack and guard break. Some people are doing crazy poo poo special moves.

Been enjoying it, I played a bunch of Kensei. Not sure how good he is but I am getting a ton of kills as him every game. The only people I have trouble dueling was other Kensei. Viking/slow dudes were super easy to fight.

Any tips on when you are 1v2? I try rolling but I get confused with all the guard indicators.

Kensei's pretty decent these days. He's got a pretty straightforward dynamic that's easy to get used to while still have enough tools to mix it up. Just keep building up that one-two-three combo and vary the final attack.

As for fighting while outnumbered, stay relatively defensive and focus on filling up your revenge meter. Revenge builds primarily when you block and parry, so you kind of want to fish for careless enemy attacks that you can easily block/parry. Clever opponents will try to guardbreak you while your back is turned, so stay on the lookout for that. Try to dodge in such a way that your opponents get into each other's way and can't get at you from the side easily. Once you have revenge full, try to time it so that you can interrupt an enemy attack with it (causing them to go prone) and then just go ham on them with the extra damage. A useful trick is to switch targets in the middle of a chain, that will often catch your opponents off guard and allow you to get a bit of free damage in, especially after popping revenge. Kensei works particularly well with that tactic, since you can easily launch unblockables from your chain.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

One big mechanic that's important to work on is parrying, if you've had people basically block but also turn your sword and put you off balance, that's what they were doing. You do that by getting your indicator on the direction of the attack like you were gonna block it, then hitting heavy just as the attack's gonna land on you, so there's a good bit of learning required for different characters timing and stuff like that, but it's a fight winner once you get consistently good enough at it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I still hate centurion. Get hit once and you've lost all your stamina, get knocked against a wall and you're basically instantly dead :ohear:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

One big mechanic that's important to work on is parrying, if you've had people basically block but also turn your sword and put you off balance, that's what they were doing. You do that by getting your indicator on the direction of the attack like you were gonna block it, then hitting heavy just as the attack's gonna land on you, so there's a good bit of learning required for different characters timing and stuff like that, but it's a fight winner once you get consistently good enough at it.

Perestroika posted:

Kensei's pretty decent these days. He's got a pretty straightforward dynamic that's easy to get used to while still have enough tools to mix it up. Just keep building up that one-two-three combo and vary the final attack.

As for fighting while outnumbered, stay relatively defensive and focus on filling up your revenge meter. Revenge builds primarily when you block and parry, so you kind of want to fish for careless enemy attacks that you can easily block/parry. Clever opponents will try to guardbreak you while your back is turned, so stay on the lookout for that. Try to dodge in such a way that your opponents get into each other's way and can't get at you from the side easily. Once you have revenge full, try to time it so that you can interrupt an enemy attack with it (causing them to go prone) and then just go ham on them with the extra damage. A useful trick is to switch targets in the middle of a chain, that will often catch your opponents off guard and allow you to get a bit of free damage in, especially after popping revenge. Kensei works particularly well with that tactic, since you can easily launch unblockables from your chain.

That's some good advice. I am just learning the basics right now but it is good to know there is some depth in this game.

Also any tips for people who just run? I haven't really used the feats much but I see there is a arrow one?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Other real good tip to know related to parrying even, if you see an orange move flying your way it's unblockable, unblockable however does not mean unparryable.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I still hate centurion. Get hit once and you've lost all your stamina, get knocked against a wall and you're basically instantly dead :ohear:

I used to hate him too until I unlocked him and realized all of his openers can be shut down with a light attack. His kick has to follow a forward dodge, if you see him dodge forward, just light attack. Don’t try to predict dodge his kick because he may just forward dodge into gb and catch you. If he goes for a charge heavy, don’t try to parry it. The variable charge time will get you in trouble every time. Instead just light attack. If you play a character with slow light attacks just accept your death.

Although you are right about being OOS vs cent is very bad indeed.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Ulio posted:

Kensei's are real good right now, with no glaring weaknesses except for good Conqueror players. I'd say stick with that hero if you're enjoying them.

As for 1v2ing, the Kensei gets a fuckton of iFrames whenever he does his side dodge -> heavy attack (Swift Strike, I believe it's called). In addition, you can only get parried by the opponent you're currently locked on to, so basically spam the poo poo out of your dodge attack and switch targets mid-attack.

Edit: also abuse the crap out of your level 1 smoke bombs. Those things are rude as gently caress.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What are you having trouble with, specifically? Because the only way that happens is if he hits you with a fully charged heavy -> fully charged jab, which he has no way of guaranteeing except with a wall splat.

I'd recommend checking him out in training mode, (which you can do without spending steel) once you've figured out his moveset you'll realize he has no real options against a defensive player.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2018

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think it's just my inability to tell if he's doing a charged heavy or a punch and can't react in time and just get hosed to death by the unblockables. Can never dodge out of the way in time.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, if you try him out in training mode you'll realize he can't actually feint his charged heavies (including the unblockable) except for really early in the animation, so he can't fool you there. At most he can soft-feint his charged heavy into a guardbreak, which is why I recommend not trying to parry him as that's really the only way he's gonna get you.

As for the jab, he can only do that after a successful heavy, and even then it's always dodgeable except if he's managed to hit you with a charged heavy. If you're having trouble distinguishing a charged jab from a regular one then just dodge backwards to make him whiff regardless. Or use your dodge-attack if you have one and get a free punish out of it to boot.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Noob question. Should you switch directions mid combo or is it not worth it? I see a video saying top light on Kensei does more damage than his other lights or was it only if you start the combo with top light? Right now I see most people don't block even if you combo in just 1 direction because they are probably new players like me but I am wondering overall if it is better to mix it up.

Also on Kensei when you do light heavy heavy it seems you can cancel the animation on the last heavy but I did it by mistake a few times not sure how it is done maye

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah mixing up directions is a good idea.

Kensei's gimmick is you can cancel all the top heavy attacks in the combo into something else like a heavy from another direction or a light attack or a dodge or the super-abusable hilt strike (only on the first hit for the hilt strike).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So when it is doing the top heavy animation you just press another action/button?