Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It joins that "Blazing Samurai" Mel Brooks remake and Marlon Brando's final movie role in permanent cartoon hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought it was a TF fetishist honeypot but they switched over to edging

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Spotted at Cinemacon, a movie that is definitely coming out for real you guys

I feel like Entertainment Studios needs to get a real name and a logo before they're allowed to make more movies.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

Now, is this the Emoji Movie except all of the emojis are bee emojis, or is it Bee Movie but characters can only communicate through emojis?

Sony and Dreamworks need to coproduce The Beemoji movie so the bottom is reached. Then we will truly know how to rank every other film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Entertainment Studios needs to get a real name and a logo before they're allowed to make more movies.

It’s 21st Century Fox hiding under a different name.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hemingway To Go! posted:

which is worse
bee movie or emoji movie

the bee movie is funny bad, the emoji movie isn't

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Pick posted:

I thought it was a TF fetishist honeypot but they switched over to edging

Isn't edging less a fetish on its own, and more a complement to whichever fetish you're already indulging?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Edging is what you do towards the end when you're bored and convinced that you can get a better finish than normal.

About 50/50 it works :shrug:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Sony and Dreamworks need to coproduce The Beemoji movie so the bottom is reached. Then we will truly know how to rank every other film.

Could we stretch it out a bit to get Beemoji Foodfight?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So my folks decided to rent Peter Rabbit for some god drat reason, so kind of half-paying attention.

-Admittedly the fur and the animals do look very nice

-They can't even bother to make it look like the girl look like she could be the artist of Beatrix's watercolors with her lovely abstract art

-Thomas MacGregor is such an over the top buffoon, it's not even fun to see him getting dunked given he already did a good job of it even before meeting the 'hero'

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 2, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So here's something I just saw from Funko:
https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/991709332986388480

I hadn't even heard of this Pixar film. But then now that I think about it, the only things coming out from Pixar that I know of is Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

IUG posted:

So here's something I just saw from Funko:
https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/991709332986388480

I hadn't even heard of this Pixar film. But then now that I think about it, the only things coming out from Pixar that I know of is Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4.

it's the short that's gonna be screening before Incredibles 2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/aardman/status/989542159283118080

Aw yeah, hope we can recast Mel Gibson!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why would they recast him? He stopped being a persona non grata a while ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Y'know what, I still don't trust the guy.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Watched "Batman Ninja" last night (the Japanese version). The 3D cell shading annoyed me a lot less than I thought it would, and most of the backgrounds and characters look downright amazing. It was a pretty crazy film, and the short run time made it feel rushed, but overall I enjoyed it for what it was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now watch the English version. Due to how both versions were produced at the same time, and the way Japanese anime production works, the English script is so different as to be a different movie entirely.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, I had read that. Most of the appeal for me was the visual spectacle so a dub with a radically different concept isn't worth a re-watch.

I generally don't watch dubs any way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Now watch the English version. Due to how both versions were produced at the same time, and the way Japanese anime production works, the English script is so different as to be a different movie entirely.

I would like to know more, but at the same time will be dissapointed when one version isnt a heart warmig look at post Edo japan and a family trying to learn to love again while running the ailing family business that has been infested with bats due to years of neglect

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-batman-ninja-in-english-is-so-different-from-t/1100-6458513/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, uh, I'm pretty curious about this, what the hell? :psyduck: Usually there's a "first" language and the other is a translation/localization of that script (typically Japanese and then English, but some cases like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and the Highlander anime are vice versa). Two totally different scripts being written concurrently is loving odd.

e: okay, I see what happened here, and yeah, this is way out of the loving ordinary. Usually you don't do the localized version until the "original" is completely done and in the can (Funimation's "simultaneous" dubs are like 2 weeks behind the TV airing, and that's about the fastest it goes), and whoever's doing the direct translation is either the same person as the localization writer or in direct close contact with them. This seems like a weird clusterfuck by comparison.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 2, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since this didnt describe the differences, gonna assume that family comedy is still on the table.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From what they've said elsewhere, the Japanese script is more anime, and the English script is more Batman.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
so they’re the exact same

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's... not super informative

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

quote:

"[In Japanese animation], the writing and acting typically come at the end of the anime process, where in the Western process, the writing comes at the beginning, because the anime is so art and visually driven," Chu said. "You start getting storyboards and animation before you know exactly what the story is, so a lot of our job was trying to cobble it together and figure out how pieces fit together and what people could be saying."

This explains so much about why 98% of all anime not based on a preexisting manga absolutely blow.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The English version sucks. Quips added whenever there's a moment of silence, and it just really spoils the tone.

Great film, totally focused on being as wacky and entertaining as possible. The hand-drawn Shinya Ohira-esque sequence in the middle was totally unexpected and great. They really wanted to get as much "Japan-ness" in it as possible.

I like how they combined cell shading with lots of texture. Shadows never looked out of place, and the faces were remarkably fleshy, especially on Joker.

quote:

Chu said. "It was just very interesting watching him do the story. Like, he kind of thinks up the story, and then you don't really write it, you start sort of thumb-nailing out like, what key visual moments might be, and then you start storyboarding and then you start animating.

This is how all board-driven shows in America are done too, and how most Disney films were made before Katzenberg insisted on a script coming first to guide things. Weird that they think this is some uniquely Japanese workflow.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 3, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A new Shaun of the Sheep!? Yess!! :dudsmile:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Man I LOVED Chicken Run but I don't really think it needed a sequel

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They should just pick another Steve McQueen movie to adapt, but with chickens. Screw continuity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Magnificent Seven but with chickens

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ccs posted:

This is how all board-driven shows in America are done too, and how most Disney films were made before Katzenberg insisted on a script coming first to guide things. Weird that they think this is some uniquely Japanese workflow.

Board driven shows (especially ones with overarching stories, like SU and Star vs) still work from outlines.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

i think the idea is that they basically have no clue what the dialogue or written plot is gonna be when they're animating, whereas usually Western storyboards will include a rough guide to this (details are up in the air, but the basics are set in stone early). i don't think this is actually typical for anime either, it sounds like this movie's production was insanely weird. :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, uh, this actually looks ok? I laughed. Having Will Arnett be Deathstroke is going to be weird though, as he’s already Batman to my ears. Nice that Nicolas Cage finally gets to be Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WhJyyTtqo

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Waffleman_ posted:

The Magnificent Seven but with chickens
A Bug's Life was The Magnificent Seven.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Multiple movies can be The Magnificent Seven.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Neon Noodle posted:

A Bug's Life was The Magnificent Seven.

Nah, A Bug's Life was Seven Samurai.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Magnificent Seven is Seven Samurai

Look all of this is just wasting time because the ultimate adaptation of that archetype is Three Amigos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bullit but with chickens