Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

kingcobweb posted:

AD Zoe, clearly.

Also LeBlanc and Diana

Edit: corki??? kog??? :stonk:

The passive has a 30 second CD, but still, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

That skin looks really bad though

It looks pretty good in game but ya it is probably worse than the other ultimate skins. But for free it's pretty good since I didn't have a skin for MF anyway.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

kingcobweb posted:

Edit: corki??? kog??? :stonk:

It has an internal cool down of 30 seconds

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I didn't think about it with Yi, just ADC, a attack speed focused character with double hits and CDR on attacks/kills already built into his kit, yeah, that is going to be absurd, but I don't know if it's going to be more absurd then guinsoo already is.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
1% of mana per auto seems huge for corki and kog though

This is from reddit, Lucian with the new ER does in fact seem silly https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoyiugLmV0

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

kingcobweb posted:

This is from reddit, Lucian with the new ER does in fact seem silly https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoyiugLmV0

Okay, I guess that works better than I thought it would. That does seem pretty nonsense.

Still not a fan of burning the ult early for Lucian but it activates after the channel which is the important part.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about doing baron

Kingcobweb and I frequently have a mini argument where we will pick someone cleanly and he'll be like let's do baron and I'm like no don't do baron we're level 13 and only one of them is dead, our team will gently caress it up somehow and we'll get aced

What tends to happen if we do the baron is that like the other 4 people come, so then the team will half decide to turn and half decide to hit baron, so say 2 people are fighting the baron and everyone else is losing a 3v4 outside baron

Even if we all get on the same page and turn, i'm not sure like micro wise how the turning is supposed to work because like normally I assume the tanks should be in the pit fighting baron and the damage is on the outside hitting him

But then when the other team walks up, now the back line is just completely exposed to the other team, and if the tanks were to turn and be frontline for them, now the squishes are tanking baron right?

So how are you actually supposed to do a 5v4 baron? What's the proper way to do it, is it like you get deep vision and turn as they are approaching at all so that everyone has to get away from the baron?

I know we're supposed to be able to do 5v4 barons but I just feel like it goes horribly way more often than it goes right and it's a way higher risk play than I guess it's supposed ot be

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

So how are you actually supposed to do a 5v4 baron? What's the proper way to do it, is it like you get deep vision and turn as they are approaching at all so that everyone has to get away from the baron?

You gain vision control of their topside jungle and the area around Baron, you gain mid priority, and then you either sit in the pixel brush or around a corner daring them to check. You should only attempt to actually start it up if you've got someone that can sustain tank it sufficiently (which might be less of a problem with the changes they added), if you've got a comp that'll clear it quickly (usually people with high sustained damage, especially percentile HP damage), or if they've got consistent vision checking (such as with Lux) that'll allow them to approach Baron safely and make a pick less possible. You can brute force it, but I only like to do this if my team's astronomically ahead and we can guarantee a complete 5v4 blowout if they try and engage on us.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 2, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It also depends on who you picked, you got the jungler or the fed carry and have a tank to soak the damage? go for it, force them to pick a bad fight without their damage or engage.

Picked a 0/12 support but their jungler or 1000 damage ranged burst damage mage or 12/1 reset assassin that can 1vs5 your team is up and about? maybe just clear vision and see if anyone comes into their top jungle to facecheck.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I also generally feel better about it if we have someone who can sit and stop their approach - i.e., when I'm playing Zyra or Morg support, spamming cc + ulting as they come in can generally give enough time for everyone to just finish it the normal way, or if we have a fed toplaner who can gently caress them up some on their approach - i.e., Fiora or Vlad.

I think coordinating a partial turn in a solo queue game is really difficult if it's more than one person, and generally there are a lot of responses that are 'correct' but contingent on what everyone else decides to do, which is kind of asking for trouble. I think the general instinct that it's way riskier than it should be in solo q is right, and that you kind of have to commit all-or-nothing. I think in general if your whole team just goes to baron ASAP without loving around they can be pretty safe, but that happens so rarely. A lot of the time the time I feel like those calls end up getting you another kill or two, but no baron, which is OK but not great.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

kingcobweb posted:

At long last...after so long...HE'S BACK BABAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAg4y2co01M

(Remember when Lucian could do this? I'm excited for the return of League of Legends' best boy.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

foutre posted:

I think coordinating a partial turn in a solo queue game is really difficult if it's more than one person, and generally there are a lot of responses that are 'correct' but contingent on what everyone else decides to do, which is kind of asking for trouble. I think the general instinct that it's way riskier than it should be in solo q is right, and that you kind of have to commit all-or-nothing. I think in general if your whole team just goes to baron ASAP without loving around they can be pretty safe, but that happens so rarely. A lot of the time the time I feel like those calls end up getting you another kill or two, but no baron, which is OK but not great.

Those're my thoughts as well. In general in solo queue, I only try and drag my team over to Baron if we've either got a massive, visible gold advantage and there's multiple enemies out of position, or we've got at least a 3-person advantage and their jungler's dead.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Transient People posted:

(Remember when Lucian could do this? I'm excited for the return of League of Legends' best boy.)

I forgot all about this. Getting rid of the mana cost was really a "sorry. Im sorry" moment, wasn't it?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Transient People posted:

Now that I've come around on it, Hail of Blade + Essence Reaver might be the one-stop shop for Lucian to get back in the game.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
New Spellbook is real good. Hotswapping to Smite to secure objectives or TP for a crossmap play is real good.

Feels good to tower dive with Barrier and Ali ult up.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Support Lux is back, baby

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

strong bird posted:

Support Lux is back, baby

She's never been gone. She's always been there in your heart.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

New Spellbook is real good. Hotswapping to Smite to secure objectives or TP for a crossmap play is real good.

Feels good to tower dive with Barrier and Ali ult up.

Am I wrong in assuming that it basically works like having a third summoner spell slot that you can choose anything for whenever it comes up? Because that seems really good if you can just pick on the fly and immediately use it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Am I wrong in assuming that it basically works like having a third summoner spell slot that you can choose anything for whenever it comes up? Because that seems really good if you can just pick on the fly and immediately use it.

Sort of. It has the limitation of the swap being out of combat only, so you do have to plan ahead a little. You're also limited in terms of the number of times you can actually use the really good summoner spells, so you have to make them count even more than normal summoner spells. I think it's definitely how it should've been on release.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
That baron talk was informative. Thanks goons!

When it comes to solo queue, I know you have limited ability to influence the outcome of a match, but with that said I'm finding myself wondering more and more how to make the correct picks in champ select to round out a team composition. I did some Googling and didn't find anything relevant to today's meta. I know there are a million things I should probably be more focused on, but I'm old and even though I have a desire to get better and rank up I'm more playing to have fun and dissect the parts of this game that are interesting to me. Right now that's how to build a well rounded team comp. Any general tips?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

amazeballs posted:

That baron talk was informative. Thanks goons!

When it comes to solo queue, I know you have limited ability to influence the outcome of a match, but with that said I'm finding myself wondering more and more how to make the correct picks in champ select to round out a team composition. I did some Googling and didn't find anything relevant to today's meta. I know there are a million things I should probably be more focused on, but I'm old and even though I have a desire to get better and rank up I'm more playing to have fun and dissect the parts of this game that are interesting to me. Right now that's how to build a well rounded team comp. Any general tips?

To be blunt, the best team comp in solo queue is one where people can play their loving champions.

I'd rather have Gangplank/Master Yi/Zed/Kai'sa/Pantheon than a "good" teamcomp, if it's a choice between one-tricks with something they have 1000 games on vs first-timing something else.

That said, you're going to want:
  • someone doing magic damage
  • someone doing physical damage
  • someone to start a fight (engage)
  • a decent balance between having enough damage and having enough CC

Having someone that does physical damage is easy, since there's only a couple ADCs that do more magic damage than physical (Kog'Maw and Corki), and they're unpopular at the moment. Usually, the opposite happens, and you're stuck with an awful teamcomp like the above where they can just stack armor.

Part of that "balance" is having ganks that make sense. If you have an all-damage jungler (Lee Sin, Nidalee, Graves), then the lane their ganking should probably have some CC to set up the gank, or vice versa, where a high-CC jungler is ganking a high-damage laner. Sometimes you can burst a guy with pure damage, and sometimes you have enough damage with two tanks, but it's tougher.

Another aspect if the spectrum between teamfighting and splitpushing. Say that you have a Tryndamere top. He's an awful teamfighter, but a very good split-pusher/duelist, so ideally, your team should play around that. If everyone else is playing teamfight champs like Amumu and Orianna, they'll always want to group and the Trynd (justifiably) will go "lol nope." Sometimes, you get such a good deathball comp with something like those that you can just go around the map as five killing everything even if you're down 5k gold.

There's certain picks that it's hard to find a circumstance where they don't fit the teamcomp, and they're valuable. Janna is a good example. There's only been a few times where I had a team with zero engage and wish I was on something else, but since she's so strong across the board (laning, skirmishing, teamfighting, disengaging) you'll never yell at someone for picking Janna.

But again, back to reality... this is solo queue, it's usually decided by who leaves laning phase ahead. Win your lane. If you have a pick where you're like "yeah I'll lose lane but..." you're setting yourself at a big initial disadvantage.

edit: forgot to mention that I specifically said a champ that deals magic damage, not necessarily a mage/AP carry. Especially in lower Elo, something like Maokai or Ornn that gets ahead is going to deal more damage than an ADC, because it's easier to stand near people and deal ambient damage than it is to kite effectively.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 3, 2018

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm just gonna pop in here and say that mid Rakan is bonkers, super fun, and basically just a free murder gank lane.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The New poo poo

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I finally got a gold promo series.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

kingcobweb posted:

To be blunt, the best team comp in solo queue is one where people can play their loving champions.

I'd rather have Gangplank/Master Yi/Zed/Kai'sa/Pantheon than a "good" teamcomp, if it's a choice between one-tricks with something they have 1000 games on vs first-timing something else.

That said, you're going to want:
  • someone doing magic damage
  • someone doing physical damage
  • someone to start a fight (engage)
  • a decent balance between having enough damage and having enough CC

Having someone that does physical damage is easy, since there's only a couple ADCs that do more magic damage than physical (Kog'Maw and Corki), and they're unpopular at the moment. Usually, the opposite happens, and you're stuck with an awful teamcomp like the above where they can just stack armor.

Part of that "balance" is having ganks that make sense. If you have an all-damage jungler (Lee Sin, Nidalee, Graves), then the lane their ganking should probably have some CC to set up the gank, or vice versa, where a high-CC jungler is ganking a high-damage laner. Sometimes you can burst a guy with pure damage, and sometimes you have enough damage with two tanks, but it's tougher.

Another aspect if the spectrum between teamfighting and splitpushing. Say that you have a Tryndamere top. He's an awful teamfighter, but a very good split-pusher/duelist, so ideally, your team should play around that. If everyone else is playing teamfight champs like Amumu and Orianna, they'll always want to group and the Trynd (justifiably) will go "lol nope." Sometimes, you get such a good deathball comp with something like those that you can just go around the map as five killing everything even if you're down 5k gold.

There's certain picks that it's hard to find a circumstance where they don't fit the teamcomp, and they're valuable. Janna is a good example. There's only been a few times where I had a team with zero engage and wish I was on something else, but since she's so strong across the board (laning, skirmishing, teamfighting, disengaging) you'll never yell at someone for picking Janna.

But again, back to reality... this is solo queue, it's usually decided by who leaves laning phase ahead. Win your lane. If you have a pick where you're like "yeah I'll lose lane but..." you're setting yourself at a big initial disadvantage.

edit: forgot to mention that I specifically said a champ that deals magic damage, not necessarily a mage/AP carry. Especially in lower Elo, something like Maokai or Ornn that gets ahead is going to deal more damage than an ADC, because it's easier to stand near people and deal ambient damage than it is to kite effectively.

This is great. Thanks!

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Karthus feels really strong right now, not really sure why. Probably just the result of the consistent, if infrequent, buffs over the past year or two and the item changes.

e:

I had no idea mid rakan was good or even really a thing.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 3, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Karthus feels really strong right now, not really sure why. Probably just the result of the consistent, if infrequent, buffs over the past year or two and the item changes.

e:

I had no idea mid rakan was good or even really a thing.

they buffed his ap scalings in like 8.8 or something, it's pretty good.

rakans, that is.

with a protobelt you can oneshot a lot of characters

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 3, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

I finally got a gold promo series.

I remember when I first got promoted to gold on my birthday in season 3 just in time to get the victorious elise skin when all I played was Elise :shobon:

But then they nerfed her into the ground haha

Congrats!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

strong bird posted:

The New poo poo

If by the new poo poo you mean doing less dmg than a support Janna ya it is indeed poo poo.

Tbh I have seen this Karma build a lot in high elo streams but it is usually played top.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

The New poo poo

turns out people blindly copying builds they do not understand perform poorly

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Let he who has never been dumpstered on their best champ cast the first stone

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Let he who has never been dumpstered on their best champ cast the first stone

Ive literally never lost a game as amumu.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

pog boyfriend posted:

Ive literally never lost a game as amumu.

I have also never lost a game on that champ and several others as well

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Get some advice from this thread, log in today to put it into practice, can't make a lobby. loving Riot holding me back from realizing my true potential... AGAIN.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
e: jk, game died and with it my powerful morgana performance. RIP 25 lp.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

amazeballs posted:

Get some advice from this thread, log in today to put it into practice, can't make a lobby. loving Riot holding me back from realizing my true potential... AGAIN.

riot hates everyone who posts here and goes out of their way to sabotage us all. we are outcasts in their system and we have to fight against their unfair harassment in order to succeed. this is why goon players are the greatest league of legends players in the world

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

riot hates everyone who posts here and goes out of their way to sabotage us all. we are outcasts in their system and we have to fight against their unfair harassment in order to succeed. this is why goon players are the greatest league of legends players in the world

*red alert goes off at the riot hq* send in the Loss Flags

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

*red alert goes off at the riot hq* send in the Loss Flags

riot has been preventing me from getting s ranks for about a year now and i get matched with bronze players against platinum players. this is nothing new to me. one time i called riot games some jabronis and they lost their mind about it and now Im fighting the system like(spoilers for "The Matrix" ahead) :ninja:neo in the matrix:ninja:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The one ping I wish we had that we don't is a "I'm leaving" ping. There's 2 caution pings but I want one that explicitly says yo dude I am not going to back you up here, or I'm leaving so don't go in thinking I'm still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i usually just retreat ping myself