Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

Given that the odds of a major air raid on the American mainland were slim to none, I feel like that whole pamphlet has some psychological value in terms of helping people not panic and feel like they’re contributing and can be prepared for ill-defined dangers.

Actually, WERE there any false alarms during WW2 about air raids on the US mainland? Someone starting a rumour that spins out of control because he mistook an eagle for a bomber, style of thing?

Pretty much non stop on the west coast in the first few months of the war.

Check out The Battle of Los Angeles.

edit: tl;dr one nervous AA crew took a shot at a weather balloon they misidentified as the Japanese and before long everyone was letting loose like it was the Berlin night sky ca. 1944.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Very little in that pamphlet is actually bad advice if you're caught in an air raid and there are no bomb shelters handy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apparently you can also end up with that one princess who is all over the internet for looking pretty good wearing a death's head on her fluffy hat running poo poo, but it's a BIT of a chain of events.

And if you pull it off, she can rebrand Germany as the Holy Roman Empire reborn. :getin:

But yeah, that requires a very specific series of events to happen and decisions for the player to make, and some of it is down to luck.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

feedmegin posted:

Is that what they are? T-34 at the front is on point but those turrets don't look nearly rounded enough. :(

(Sadly) I can tell they are indeed T-54/55s by the details and stuff like the boxes on the sides. The turret/gun detail is kind of a mashup of early 54s and the later 55, but that’s close enough to not really matter. Also that looks to be East Germany at a glance so that narrows down the options I think.

Cessna posted:

They had to make design compromises in order to make it 1/3 scale and still able to cram a 12 year old in the TC hatch.

That too

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 3, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
There was only one air attack against the mainland United States, in late 1942, a Japanese submarine launched a floatplane attack on Brookings, Oregon. If it were done once, it could be replicated, and it were better the pamphlets were made available before the attack than after.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sullat posted:

There was only one air attack against the mainland United States

Not true, there's also the balloons with bombs that they sent after the US, only one of which hit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon#Single_lethal_attack

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: tl;dr one nervous AA crew took a shot at a weather balloon they misidentified as the Japanese and before long everyone was letting loose like it was the Berlin night sky ca. 1944.

As depicted in the documentary 1941.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

feedmegin posted:

Is that what they are? T-34 at the front is on point but those turrets don't look nearly rounded enough. :(

Not sure what #2 and #3 are (different hulls), but the T-34 had a billion and a half turret designs as they found they could put bigger and bigger guns/turrets on the sucker and the chassis would still support them. #4 and #5 look like fixed gun SPGs of some sort, but those are generally hard to guess what they are at this angle without seeing the size/position of the gun and gun-mantlet since they all had the same general shape of "Trapezoidal-ish fighting compartment of various sizes on T-34/KV chassis."

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Tomn posted:

Given that the odds of a major air raid on the American mainland were slim to none, I feel like that whole pamphlet has some psychological value in terms of helping people not panic and feel like they’re contributing and can be prepared for ill-defined dangers.

Actually, WERE there any false alarms during WW2 about air raids on the US mainland? Someone starting a rumour that spins out of control because he mistook an eagle for a bomber, style of thing?

In December 1941, General Hap Arnold was quite concerned that the Graf Zeppelin was going to perform a carrier raid on the East Coast. The issue of safeguarding America from being raided would come up intermittently at Combined Chiefs of Staff meeting. My favorite possibility is Admiral Ingersoll's idea, who in 1945 was concerned that the few remaining Japanese carriers would perform a kamikaze raid on San Francisco.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
How close was the Graf Zeppelin to being ready to conduct operations? I got the vibe the Germans realized it was a huge waste of time/materials pretty early on.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not true, there's also the balloons with bombs that they sent after the US, only one of which hit.

Well, I'm distinguishing that from a bombing attack for reasons which I'm not entirely sure are important. The main point, of course, being that it was hypothetically possible for the Axis powers to bomb US cities using submarines & planes, which if not terribly dangerous, could at least cause panic, so having reassuring sounding civil defense pamphlets circulating is a pretty good idea. Also the Germans were working on a 4 engined bomber, which, thanks to the blogposts written by that goon, we know really had no chance of succeeding, but they wouldn't; have known that in 1942.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SlothfulCobra posted:

No, a number hit, but those were the only casualties. Reports of the balloons were kept under wraps initially for morale/security reasons, but after those deaths the censorship stopped because they didn't want more people finding them and messing around with them and getting killed.

One of them actually managed to land on some power lines and knocked out power to the coolant pumps at the Hanford reactor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first of my grandpa’s old WW2 documents. He got a deferral for age after initially being classified 1A, so he never actually served.

The address is nothing but an empty plot of land in the ghetto now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first notice of classification he received. He was 27 at the time. The Parkside Projects no longer exist but there’s other apartments there.

As for the name, he’s the Polish side of my family. The woman he married was German, I believe. My dad’s side is pure Clan Urquhart.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

As for the name, he’s the Polish side of my family. The woman he married was German, I believe. My dad’s side is pure Clan Urquhart.
get a DNA test, you might be surprised. i found out my dad is equal parts italian, greek, and turkish--we thought his family was just italian.
and i am way more spanish-jewish than my mom had been led to believe.

my dad's salty about the turkish part lol

edit: well, it said "western asia." that could be a whoooole lot of things i guess

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 3, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

get a DNA test, you might be surprised. i found out my dad is equal parts italian, greek, and turkish--we thought his family was just italian.

I haven't gotten a DNA test, but my dad's side of the family kept extensive records on their family history back to the 1600s. Their family tree is really big and really Scottish.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MANime in the sheets posted:

How close was the Graf Zeppelin to being ready to conduct operations? I got the vibe the Germans realized it was a huge waste of time/materials pretty early on.

Not really close- the ship was largely built, but the Germans did not really practice carrier operations in the interwar years and it fell in an awkward position in the various German fiefdoms. It also wasn't particularly necessary.

It probably could've been rushed into service with an air complement but it probably would've been somewhere around the IJN carriers in 1944 in terms of capability(not much at all). Still, if a TF including it had broken free and gotten into the Atlantic, it would have drawn a disproportionate response.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

I haven't gotten a DNA test, but my dad's side of the family kept extensive records on their family history back to the 1600s. Their family tree is really big and really Scottish.
My mom's side had decent records but my dad was hampered by the language barrier and the fact that his dad moved countries.

If it's back to the 1600s I'd be interested to check that out--if any of them went to war in Europe I might be able to find them for you, or know someone who could

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of them blew up over a neighborhood near me and they put up a plaque to commemorate the Japanese balloon bomb that just made everyone wonder what in tarnation just happened

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

My mom's side had decent records but my dad was hampered by the language barrier and the fact that his dad moved countries.

If it's back to the 1600s I'd be interested to check that out--if any of them went to war in Europe I might be able to find them for you, or know someone who could

I'll send you a PM with what little I have, since I'm intentionally not very close to that side of the family. They're old money douchebags.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MANime in the sheets posted:

It was a realistic threat. After all, the Nazis had already firebombed a Naval Air Station in New Jersey in 1937.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

What to do in an air raid: ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES AND START WRECKING SOME poo poo FOR UNCLE SAM, SON

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

fishmech posted:

It was a realistic threat. After all, the Nazis had already firebombed a Naval Air Station in New Jersey in 1937.

A+++

A good post

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The drink is Everclear and Dr Pepper. Best way to use up the bottle.

St. Florian is I think one of two addresses in this document pile that still exists, again part of the Detroit area. My mom's side of my family was born and raised in Detroit starting with my grandfather.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was of the understanding that grandpa got an age deferment, but 4A is a “completed service” classification. How would I go about checking records to see if he served?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

The drink is Everclear and Dr Pepper. Best way to use up the bottle.

St. Florian is I think one of two addresses in this document pile that still exists, again part of the Detroit area. My mom's side of my family was born and raised in Detroit starting with my grandfather.

to be baptized five days after birth is unusually quick; Stanley Kozlowski may have been in poor health as an infant

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

to be baptized five days after birth is unusually quick; Stanley Kozlowski may have been in poor health as an infant

Chester was his name. Stanley was his dad, my great-grandfather.

Not surprising for a 1916 birth. They had my mom very old (my grandpa was 48 when she was born), so my grandparents were disproportionately old compared to me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: well, it said "western asia." that could be a whoooole lot of things i guess

Aren't modern Greeks and Turks basically identical genetically speaking?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Aren't modern Greeks and Turks basically identical genetically speaking?

what the test said was "western Mediterranean," "eastern Mediterranean," and "western asia."

so i assume just start at italy and head east until you feel like stopping

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GUNS posted:

Is it? At least during the Baroque it wasn’t uncommon for Catholics to be baptised very soon after birth no matter the health (and sometimes even before birth :haw:). Three days afterwards was „normal“ iirc, and sometimes it even happened on the same day. Which is why the mothers were almost never present at the baptism of their children because they were ritually prohibited from entering the church for a while after giving birth. I know that at least in southern Germany/Austria/northern Italy this was common until the late 19th/early 20th century, I‘m pretty sure St John XXIII was one of those same-day baptisms for example and he was born in 1881.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Is it? At least during the Baroque it wasn’t uncommon for Catholics to be baptised very soon after birth no matter the health (and sometimes even before birth :haw:). Three days afterwards was „normal“ iirc, and sometimes it even happened on the same day. Which is why the mothers were almost never present at the baptism of their children because they were ritually prohibited from entering the church for a while after giving birth. I know that at least in southern Germany/Austria/northern Italy this was common until the late 19th/early 20th century, I‘m pretty sure St John XXIII was one of those same-day baptisms for example and he was born in 1881.

i thought you were supposed to wait until 40 days. I was baptized early because I had surgery.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
In Renaissance Florence they were so concerned about infant mortality that they barely bothered to wash the baby before running to the Baptistery.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

chitoryu12 posted:

The first of my grandpa’s old WW2 documents. He got a deferral for age after initially being classified 1A, so he never actually served.

The address is nothing but an empty plot of land in the ghetto now.

IDK the milspeak of the era so when you say he got a deferral for age after being classified 1A, what does that mean? Both my grandfathers should have been ineligible but the one who was 16-17 and the one who was 30+ (IIRC) somehow got into the marines. I figure that had to have been by a waiver of some kind

e: i meant ineligible lol.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 3, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cyrano4747 posted:

Five deaths.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm reading Massie's Catherine the Great and I did not realize that the Russians pulled a Tsushima against the Ottomans. They sailed the Baltic fleet into the Agaean and it worked brilliantly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Turkish_War_(1768%E2%80%931774)#Russian_Mediterranean_expedition

Also the picture it paints of Russia as a socioeconomic entity is kinda gross. Half the population is serfs and literally don't own the shirt on their back and can be used for sexual gratification and on the other hand you just need to fart wrong around the empress and you'll get five digit rubles as a present in a diamond-encrusted bucket.

Another thing that seemed remarkable was how they raised their kids. For years all Catherine does is hang out at the court and play cards, if she is allowed to see people, and her husband has tin soldiers and drills his servants, and they have basically nothing useful to do. Like Elizabeth had reasons for what she did that are well laid out but it's surprising really that at least Catherine ended up competent to rule after all that. I suppose less putschy courts with a more defined succession process could get away with having their heirs dip their toes in things earlier.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 3, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

fishmech posted:

jesus CHRIST

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

fishmech posted:

:drat:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fishmech posted:

:drat: Oh the humanity

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

IDK the milspeak of the era so when you say he got a deferral for age after being classified 1A, what does that mean? Both my grandfathers should have been ineligible but the one who was 16-17 and the one who was 30+ (IIRC) somehow got into the marines. I figure that had to have been by a waiver of some kind

e: i meant ineligible lol.

1A is the highest level of Selective Service classification, meaning ideal health and age for military service. On the opposite side, 4F is the lowest and completely ineligible for service due to physical or mental problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

fishmech posted:

drat