Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ending where 2B goes fishing is going to be the canon ending that leads to nier au2oma2a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CJacobs posted:

The ending where 2B goes fishing is going to be the canon ending that leads to nier au2oma2a

In which you play as a fish

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I still prefer the ambiguity of the game.

Well, the concert epilogue leaves the situation pretty much the same way as the end of Ending E, where the Pods pretty much spell out that the androids will come back to life after reconstruction.

The important thing about the epilogue is that it adds a hint as to the nature of the Black Boxes. What if there's some secret to the Black Box resonance, where it creates an alternate universe/timeline when they react? So each time it splits the universe into a Life and Death timeline. So Yoko Taro isn't just trolling (although he is), but also revealing part of the secret of the Black Box. The way the epilogue was presented, split into 2 alternatives, plus the whole Life and Death spiral speech at the very end, both add some weight to this theory.

So a sequel could explore jumping between the timelines.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Absum posted:

It actually says the first ending was intentionally spoiled and only changed right before the concert as a fake-out. That looks unconfirmed though but idk.

Well, it was in the script books that were sold at the time of the first concert. And the VA for 9S wasn't listed for the final performance since he doesn't show in the script version, but he showed up anyway. Considering how packed VA schedules can be, I suspect that had to be planned far in advance.

Basically, a troll from the start.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If Nier 3 ever happens, it probably will be as disconnected from 2 as 2 was from 1, hopefully.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Ainsley McTree posted:

In which you play as a fish

ending a: Fish don't have feelings. Nothing you do to fish can cause them any pain!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Millions of years after all remnants of humanity have vanished, we play a lone boar, who has to survive in a world filled with moose.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
As long as it can still drift in turns without a rider that's perfectly acceptable

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

no, it'll be following the adventures of clownbot as he tries to bring joy to the world

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
will Machine On A Break finally finish his break and get back to work? Stunning suspenseful drama lies within.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

CJacobs posted:

will Machine On A Break finally finish his break and get back to work? Stunning suspenseful drama lies within.
After enough time he will have received enough repairs to contain no original Machine On A Break part, at which point he technically is a new Machine and can finally resume his work.

His work is to reassemble the old Machine On A Break parts into a new Machine, which will immediately go on break, repeating the cycle forever.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 2, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

As long as it can still drift in turns without a rider that's perfectly acceptable

Calling it: nier 3 is a racing game that's somehow sadder than the last two combined. Yoko Taro can do it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Calling it: nier 3 is a racing game that's somehow sadder than the last two combined. Yoko Taro can do it

A combination racing game and dating sim.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nier 3 is going to be about fighting a crazy mad scientists named Dr. Akengard.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Nier 3 announces that the Drakengard universe is somehow canon in the Mario universe. Caim appears in the next Mario Kart.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FrankZP posted:

Nier 3 announces that the Drakengard universe is somehow canon in the Mario universe. Caim appears in the next Mario Kart.

He already exists in Mario Kart with the alias "Luigi".

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I would play a space adventure sequel with Adam and Eve as playable characters.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

WaltherFeng posted:

But the alien world was actually Earth all along due to a soul crushing series of tragedies that made them crash in Mongolia 5 minutes after Nier: Automata ended.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

WaltherFeng posted:

Dating sim playing as Adam, while either

1. Simultaneously playing as Eve to fight off the competition.
2. Or still playing as Adam to fight off Eve's attempts to get between Adam and his romantic interest(s).

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Literally just the opening sequence of Heavy Rain, but you play as Eve and he yells "BROTHER!" when you press X.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

A combination pizza hut and taco bell.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....have you never seen a KenTacoHut before?

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Beautifully arranged Piano Collections album released April 25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qptaGpilE0

Not sure who was primarily responsible for the piano arrangement. YouTube description says "Composed by: Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, Kuniyuki Takahashi"

Tangent: I was wondering why the main character designer Akihiko Yoshida is rarely mentioned as deserving of credit, compared to Yoko Taro and Keiichi Okabe who have been getting the spotlight. People obviously love 2B's iconic design. Maybe it's that the artwork is more of a collaborative back-and-forth process, so it's harder for one person to take credit?

Wikipedia says different artists were responsible for different characters. And Yoko Taro had final say on character designs. So I guess that's the answer.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

those piano arrangements are sick

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Played through the game again and got chapter select. Gonna go nice and leisurely through side quests and DLC before going for the true ending again. The open world farming and side stuff actually feels nice to play through as opposed to something like Fallout or Witcher because the movement is so good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Played through the game again and got chapter select. Gonna go nice and leisurely through side quests and DLC before going for the true ending again. The open world farming and side stuff actually feels nice to play through as opposed to something like Fallout or Witcher because the movement is so good

I love the air mobility. If you know how to chain moves, you can practically fly from point to point. It doesn't demand mastery except with a couple weapon pickups, but it feels rewarding anyway.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The changing of music in each zone with game events is so good. It makes replaying City Ruins multiple times really enjoyable.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

chiasaur11 posted:

I love the air mobility. If you know how to chain moves, you can practically fly from point to point. It doesn't demand mastery except with a couple weapon pickups, but it feels rewarding anyway.
That trick jump to that one roof near father Servo was still one of the trickiest things i had to retry a bunch, way ahead of any bosses. The only trickier things i can remember were the DLC jumping test as the robot and the Final Extra Challenge Tier arena fights.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Automata is a step up in every way from the original NieR, which I just played for the first time recently. The mobility and battle system in particular. But also quests, storytelling and pacing.

The first one has an interesting story, of course, and probably worth at least YouTubing the cutscenes if you've already played Automata. It's hard to wholeheartedly recommend sitting down and playing through though. Some of the major story stuff is partially spoiled already for people coming from Automata. Sidequests feel more like a grind compared to Automata.

However, while it does answer more questions about the setting, it also raises many more. Now I kind of feel like I need to go back and play/watch Drakengard to get more info. And read through the Grimoire Nier, which contains a trove of additional lore.

The one thing I can say the original did better was fishing.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Nier 1's story, music, and presentation are just as good or better than Nier 2 though, even if the gameplay sucks in comparison. If you enjoyed 2 for these things, then you'd be doing yourself a disservice by youtubing 1.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That reminds me, I like how loving bananas the apocalypse was in this. No nuclear exchange or asteroid impact, instead a dragon and a giant demon goddess fell out of a sky portal and a disease spread which turned people into pillars of salt, meanwhile scientists used technology created from studying the dragon to create androids and set up a project where human souls would be extracted from their bodies and then put into clones at a later date, except the souls went feral and the bodies gained minds of their own and died prematurely, so eventually only the androids were left. And then the aliens showed up and battled for the earth against a little magic boy. also due to some event I don't know about the Earth's axis is tilted so it no longer rotates and nobody really mentions it

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Nier's story is actually dumb and complicated as hell. The amazing feat the games pulled off was making me care about it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nier 1's characters are great compared to Automata's, to the point where Automata's best character is arguably the one from NieR one, or at least him or Pascal. The banter in the second half between the four characters while traveling in N1eR is probably my favorite part of either game.

Automata certainly did a lot of stuff better and is a fantastic game for sure, and it's certainly the one I'd recommend for people new to this series, but I still slightly prefer N1er overall for its characters and its smaller-scope story.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Thinking more, there were a few other aspects the first NieR did really well, and you'd miss out on by only watching the cutscenes.

The random banter with supporting characters is great in the original NieR. In Automata you want to hit 9S over the head for still being surprised for the 20th time about the same philosophical conundrum: How can robots have emotions!?!? There's no way!!
NieR had a fantastic English localization and voice acting. I know Automata gets a lot of praise for its English localization too, but I can't compare since I played with Japanese voices. I later watched some English videos of the beginning of Automata, but couldn't get excited about the voices; but probably that's typical for anything where you are already accustomed to one way of doing things.

There's also a subquest in NieR that teaches you the significance of the Lunar Tear. It's the one where you have to grow certain flowers in your garden and it's impossible as gently caress to actually complete, and universally skipped by anyone sane. But it shows how difficult it is to cultivate the flower, so in Automata when you see Emil's house, it really drives home how arduous it was to grow that entire field of Lunar Tears.

There are a bunch of gameplay surprises too, of course, that you must experience first hand.

So yeah, you'd be missing out on some of that good stuff by just YouTubing NieR. It's indeed great, just not quite as great a game as Automata.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I felt like every interaction or sentiment expressed by the Automata characters was suited for the game's themes well though. Their ignorance and artificiality made their outcries of existential torment more impacting, and differentiated them from the other "robot species" in the game. I'd love to play/have played Nier but I ain't hooking up my PS3, and the gameplay looks like a slog. I'm glad I read up on the Cliff's notes of the story though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hikaki posted:

Nier's story is actually dumb and complicated as hell. The amazing feat the games pulled off was making me care about it.

tbh a lot of JRPG/anime stuff does this kind of thing where the setting or metaphysics is something weird and ineffable to the player/viewer, but everyone in-game just takes it for granted as part of the world building and it's frequently never explained, this is Just How The World Is and the story is 100% about the characters and how they deal with the world in that context. Drakenier is only weird in the sense that there's we've already seen some of the weird worldbuilding that would never be touched on in other games that led us to this point.

Nothing will ever actually explain the man eating babies though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh a lot of JRPG/anime stuff does this kind of thing where the setting or metaphysics is something weird and ineffable to the player/viewer, but everyone in-game just takes it for granted as part of the world building and it's frequently never explained, this is Just How The World Is and the story is 100% about the characters and how they deal with the world in that context. Drakenier is only weird in the sense that there's we've already seen some of the weird worldbuilding that would never be touched on in other games that led us to this point.

Nothing will ever actually explain the man eating babies though.

The hyphen in this post is crucial because someone might read it as Man Eating Babies, which is something that might happen. We're talking about giant, flying Man-Eating Babies that are the eldritch beings of the Drakengard universe and it's all played 100% serious.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Samuringa posted:

The hyphen in this post is crucial because someone might read it as Man Eating Babies, which is something that might happen. We're talking about giant, flying Man-Eating Babies that are the eldritch beings of the Drakengard universe and it's all played 100% serious.

more specifcally, the woman-eating babies, who ate the woman eating babies

I love yoko taro

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Nier 1's characters are great compared to Automata's, to the point where Automata's best character is arguably the one from NieR one, or at least him or Pascal.

Neither of those characters are the pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You’ve got me there.