Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

CodfishCartographer posted:

How much content does Sairento have? All the gameplay videos I’ve seen look fun, but relatively samey. Are there many levels / enemies to spice things up? Or is it more or less just one or two different skins of an area and waves of sameish enemies spew in?

Not a lot of variety, no. Higher difficulties have more elite enemies (there are like 6 or so enemy types), but it's all some variation of "kill everything in this area." You do find new loot with upgraded or unique skills as you keep playing, which spices up your weapon options over time. It also has surprisingly good co-op (albeit buggy), with each player able to bullet time a sphere of influence around them so you aren't messing each other up.

It's not a deep game, but the experience is well worth the money, IMO. Landing to someone's side, swinging your blade toward them without looking, and hearing them get sliced in half feels hella badass, as does making a perfect glaive throw that takes out a line of enemies. There's also an AOE power triggered by doing a Superhero Landing :lol:.

Basically, if you were the type of kid whose imagination would run wild after watching Kill Bill, The Matrix or Ghost in the Shell, then it's awesome. If the gameplay videos aren't tickling your fancy, then you probably won't dig it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shine posted:

Not a lot of variety, no. Higher difficulties have more elite enemies (there are like 6 or so enemy types), but it's all some variation of "kill everything in this area." You do find new loot with upgraded or unique skills as you keep playing, which spices up your weapon options over time. It also has surprisingly good co-op (albeit buggy), with each player able to bullet time a sphere of influence around them so you aren't messing each other up.

It's not a deep game, but the experience is well worth the money, IMO. Landing to someone's side, swinging your blade toward them without looking, and hearing them get sliced in half feels hella badass, as does making a perfect glaive throw that takes out a line of enemies. There's also an AOE power triggered by doing a Superhero Landing :lol:.

Basically, if you were the type of kid whose imagination would run wild after watching Kill Bill, The Matrix or Ghost in the Shell, then it's awesome. If the gameplay videos aren't tickling your fancy, then you probably won't dig it too much.

I dig stylish fighters like devil may cry and God hand, but a big part of those games that I love is the mastery over its systems and the depth and complexity provided from them. Sairento looks rad but I'm not sure if it'll scratch that systems mastery itch.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sairento is great because it lets you do backflips off walls in slow motion and after a year of VR it’s the last thing that makes my stomach lurch.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I also +1 Skyrim for the goon looking for more fully realized VR games. Yes, it’s a fairly lazy bolt-on of VR, but it’s still really cool. This game isn’t going to show you anything innovative the way other games might, but it is a full AAA game in VR.

Plus mods

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fano posted:

I haven't browsed the Oculus store, actually, I was unaware that there was a storefront other than steam for Vive games, I'll take a look.

I have Skyrim VR because my roommate wanted to try it, but I've never played Skyrim so I didn't wanna jump into the VR version, wasn't my style of game outside of VR so I didn't think there was much to it here.

Go google for ReVive and laugh at Oculus' exclusivity.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

If you get/have Beat Saber be sure to try the dot and single saber modes as well. They're not easier, just different. Shakes things up a bit. Single Saber mode only has a few levels at the moment, but they're all Expert only.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go google for ReVive and laugh at Oculus' exclusivity.

Do that and then play all the games, but play Echo Arena last because it will ruin everything else for you

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Arrath posted:

What options are there for someone who wears glasses using the Rift? My brother will be coming by next week to try my rig out and I don't want my lenses to get all scratched up :ohdear: I'll happy pickup something to make it easier for him.

I'd be careful, because my glasses managed to scratch the lenses on my Rift. Really minor ones, but still noticeable if you're looking for it. After that, I ordered a set of these to avoid any further damage, and they've worked really well, without any dimming or distortion.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I'd be careful, because my glasses managed to scratch the lenses on my Rift. Really minor ones, but still noticeable if you're looking for it. After that, I ordered a set of these to avoid any further damage, and they've worked really well, without any dimming or distortion.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Len...C6MXX5SPJ591KQJ seem even better.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Not according to those reviews.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Anyone have experience with any of the Rift faceplate covers? They all seem like $30-$50 pieces of material that probably do nothing. A replacement faceplate from Oculus costs $30 just by itself. Would be nice to have something to protect it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

PenisMonkey posted:

Not according to those reviews.

Mostly positive reviews based on what I can see. Seems like the main complaint is bubbles which happens all the time with these sort of products.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Guess we have different definitions of mostly positive.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

PenisMonkey posted:

Guess we have different definitions of mostly positive.

I was reading the Canadian site, not US. Regardless, it's another option worth trying.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Talos Principal and Skyrim are both good "full" games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, Beat Saber is fun! My wife and I just had a loving blast playing it. Once you get into the zone and your hands just start flying without conscious effort, it's massively satisfying. The dots mode is great for flamboyantly swinging the sabers around like a prequel Jedi.

Warbird posted:

I also recommend you sweet goons put down a yoga mat or something for when you get a bit overzealous on ducking a orange block in BS. I did a "combat kneel" and drat near broke my knee.

I just crouch down with my chest lifted and my rear end back like I'm doing a lovely Romanian deadlift.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Beat Saber's great, but its the first game where the motion seems designed to somehow flick the touch-cords from around my wrist and I'm gonna throw them straight at my monitor

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

rage-saq posted:

ProSaber 3.0 is going to be the best yet, its pretty drat simple.

Just take some of the tube connecting joints, put one on each end of the longer tube, put the controller on the other end, bam! Staff saber.

Contact the Beat Saber devs with that and ask them if they can adjust one saber mode to change colors and bam you got a staff saber mode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chubby Henparty posted:

Beat Saber's great, but its the first game where the motion seems designed to somehow flick the touch-cords from around my wrist and I'm gonna throw them straight at my monitor

You know you can tighten them so they don't come off, right?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Republicans posted:

Contact the Beat Saber devs with that and ask them if they can adjust one saber mode to change colors and bam you got a staff saber mode.

They already reached out to me to add my video to their social platform stuff and I mentioned it, I’d say chances look good!

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I really appreciate all the recommendations, most of this stuff is wishlisted until next paycheck, but I can't wait to try it all out.

I learned that scoring on beat saber for each block not only consist of how on-beat you slash each cube, but also on how fast/powerful your slice is, which is a great way of motivating players to actually swing instead of just lazily flicking their wrists, playing this game for score is tiring, but so incredibly fun.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Fano posted:

I really appreciate all the recommendations, most of this stuff is wishlisted until next paycheck, but I can't wait to try it all out.

Play the free stuff (there is tons of good free stuff, esp. if got a Rift) and ease slowing into purchasing games. You'll likely find an affinity for just a few types of experiences.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Fano posted:

I learned that scoring on beat saber for each block not only consist of how on-beat you slash each cube, but also on how fast/powerful your slice is, which is a great way of motivating players to actually swing instead of just lazily flicking their wrists, playing this game for score is tiring, but so incredibly fun.

Striking cool poses in the break between notes is essential as far as I'm concerned. I like to end the song by flipping my right saber into a reverse grip (easy with the wmr ones at least) and then pose with them in a vertical line in front of me.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You know you can tighten them so they don't come off, right?

Yeah, will do this, but also should be CLEAVING instead of flicking wrists as mentioned above

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

smoobles posted:

Did anyone ITT splurge on the Vive Pro?

Like most people I can't justify it but I am curious if the resolution improvement is noticeable.

The difference is incredibly apparent for text, less so for everything else. It’s also way more comfortable imo.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Fano posted:

If anyone wants to toss some recommendations my way, I'd love to hear them, this is what I have picked up so far:

Beat Saber
AudioShield
Subnautica
Superhot VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption
The Gallery Ep1: Call of the Starseed

Nobody has mentioned GORN probably because it's a no brainer, but providing you have enough room to swing your arms around it's a must-play. It's easily some of the best and most entertaining melee combat in VR to date and when you get used to the cartoony physics and wobbly weapons you'll feel like a total brutal badass.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fano posted:

How does this work, exactly?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Gort posted:

How does this work, exactly?

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I play rhythm games regularly and was noticing that even though I was slicing the cubes on beat, each cube would give me only 60-70 points, with the occasional 100+.

A reddit thread on /r/beatsaber mentioned that the speed of your slice factors into your score, which coincided with my experience, I haven't gone back to actually verify this, but I imagine that if this is true then slicing each cube more forcefully would yield 100+ points for each cube more reliably, leading to a higher score.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fano posted:

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I play rhythm games regularly and was noticing that even though I was slicing the cubes on beat, each cube would give me only 60-70 points, with the occasional 100+.

A reddit thread on /r/beatsaber mentioned that the speed of your slice factors into your score, which coincided with my experience, I haven't gone back to actually verify this, but I imagine that if this is true then slicing each cube more forcefully would yield 100+ points for each cube more reliably, leading to a higher score.

Thing is, just flicking your wrist at it probably makes the saber move faster much more efficiently than putting lots of force into the swing. I was wondering if they measure movement of the tip of the saber as well as the handle to make sure you're actually moving the handle through space, rather than just rotating it in place, for example.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Gort posted:

Thing is, just flicking your wrist at it probably makes the saber move faster much more efficiently than putting lots of force into the swing. I was wondering if they measure movement of the tip of the saber as well as the handle to make sure you're actually moving the handle through space, rather than just rotating it in place, for example.

I think distance traveled per bit impacts score as much as impact force.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Dead center = 100 or whatever
Add some stank on it. Thats where the + 100s come from.

So, Accuracy and speed.

Score chasing is a hell of a lot of fun because of it.

rage-saq posted:

Not so sure of that. I had plenty of 100+s that had short travel, but heavy swing speed. It didnt seem to really matter if I wound up or not, just the final speed it hits the block and where you hit it.

Good example is those fast circle sections in the expert solo saber things. If you're getting enough speed on it, you're going to get over 100 if you hit the center.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
My first Vive headset, after two straight years of heavy use, finally bricked.

So naturally I bought a vive pro, I'll post my impressions itt if anyone cares.

Also, are there any recommendations that people have for other good multiplayer shooter experiences in VR? I've already played Onward, Art of Fight and Pavlov a fair bit, but was wondering if I'm missing anything super awesome.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

Right, this isn't really like Wiimote waggling that you can fake, when you add positional tracking to the accelerometer readings and player height you get a very clear picture of the real :effort: a player puts out.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Gort posted:

Remember when DDR was a thing and you'd have people in the arcades holding on to the back bar like it was their childhood with their feet going mach 2, bouncing spasmodically in something that could never be considered a dance? Technically they might clear, or even get a high score. But that score is their only comfort, knowing what they had to do to attain it.

That's how games like beatsaber and soundboxing are when you just flick your wrist instead of actually cutting / pounching to the beat.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Remember when DDR was a thing and you'd have people in the arcades holding on to the back bar like it was their childhood with their feet going mach 2, bouncing spasmodically in something that could never be considered a dance? Technically they might clear, or even get a high score. But that score is their only comfort, knowing what they had to do to attain it.

That's how games like beatsaber and soundboxing are when you just flick your wrist instead of actually cutting / pounching to the beat.

Or the Rock Band vocalists that just hum into the microphone.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Beat Saber made me use "like a prequel Jedi" as a positive descriptor, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shine posted:

Beat Saber made me use "like a prequel Jedi" as a positive descriptor, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I've heard it argued that the prequels are actually good because they have way better memes than OT, which is true I guess.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Has anyone tried Natural Locomotion with Serious Sam 3 on the rift? I've tried all the recommended settings and it still won't work. Grip is supposed to move but no matter what I set it to, it just makes me jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alpha Phoenix posted:

you should probably look at what some high-level DDR charts look like before you rag on those people, that's... pretty much how you're supposed to do it

like, i'm pretty sure this isn't even physically possible without breaking both your legs if you tried to "dance" it without bar-humping

e: I found a video of a guy doing it without the bar and he's basically holding his entire upper body mostly still while having a loving seizure from the waist down