Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Kin33 posted:

You can max out at 8 or 9 health I think. +3 from guts and +2 or 3 from the cockpit mod.

That mechwarrior has 4 health, and I have no cockpit mods. My best guess is they survived an incapacitated and probably took two damage from the final hit when they only had one health left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I am beginning to wonder if my game is bugged or something. I had mentioned before that I thought the head hits were a little too common for my tastes, whatever. Booted up the game today and had all 6 of my pilots take head hits in two consecutive maps. I have 6 people in the medbay for 20 days and it's 100% from just random headshots - I refuse to believe they are occurring at 1-2%

Checked my campaign stats and my main character has participated in 17 battles and taken 12 head hits. What the actual gently caress.

Part of it is just the player takes a lot more attacks than they give out, since you're usually outnumbered, so you'll take more random head clips.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SilverMike posted:

Someone said earlier that they found a setting in the files where if you were above your target, your chances to hit head are 16%.

There is a LOT of depreciated stuff in these constants files. I don't think that chart is used.

Unless this isn't above enough...

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Btw, is there any way to still get the PDF pack that was on the KS? And what other sources are you guys using to break down the whole BattleTech history outside of the novels? There is a lot of stuff I still don't think I have covered and the only Physical book I have is the 3050 Mech Reference I think.

How bad would a game based on the timeline of the 1st/2nd Succession War be? Are there any games outside of TT that goes over that era? Also are there any good books I should read to cover what exactly went down?
Since I hear this a lot: :siren: Read the Universe Guide PDF on this page. :siren:
First and Second Succession Wars recently got a sourcebook covering each, but in short it's an all out bare-knuckle space war: fleets of warships annihilating each other, free use of nuclear weapons, and poo poo dying everywhere. Not a good environment for the average humble Mech company of later eras to survive intact.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

my kinda ape posted:

4 skull mission at Regis Roost. First time I'd seen one too.

Also my first time seeing a King Crab and Banshee, as well as that variant of Highlander. They demolished my lightly armored Orion but Rib Eye survived thanks to the +2 injury resist cockpit mod I had on there. She's out for 17 days vs Dekker who's out for 34 with only 1-2 injuries???

I honestly vastly prefer fighting one really strong lance vs fighting two weaker lances at once.

Hey, whaddya know, second mission at Regis Roost and a VTR-9B wanders out of the fog. Shot his head off with a gauss rifle, too

forgot how tonnage-limited these things are though. With max armor/JJs I can do an AC/20 and 2 SRM4 at best, which isn't bad but won't be anything I'll use over my wrecking ball squad.

By the by, 40/60/80 tonners really need an optional piece of equipment that moves them up in the initiative order.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

By the by, 40/60/80 tonners really need an optional piece of equipment that moves them up in the initiative order.

It's a piece of meat called the master tactician.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is a LOT of depreciated stuff in these constants files. I don't think that chart is used.

Unless this isn't above enough...

Fair enough, but I'm with Unzip on thinking the rates on unaimed fire are higher than 1% or 2% or 3% (1 in 36, 12 on 2d6). I know there's a great chance confirmation bias is kicking in here, but it does seem like more random headshots are thrown around.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
"Fun" little visual bug this patch seems to have added. When enemy vehicles miss with a weapon, the shot will just disappear halfway towards the target. It looks bad.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FCC565/status/991736008587796482

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's not some way I'm missing to check contracts in adjacent systems other than if they pay for travel, is there? The flighht time from the jumpship gets a bit frustrating when the palce is empty.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
how are people refitting the starting shadow hawk and vindicator? I've been farting around ignoring the campaign for a while and i feel like the mixed loadout, especially on the shadow hawk, could be improved on.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
why is every story mission terrible

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

andrew smash posted:

how are people refitting the starting shadow hawk and vindicator? I've been farting around ignoring the campaign for a while and i feel like the mixed loadout, especially on the shadow hawk, could be improved on.

I made my Shadow Hawk an SRM bomber (some combination of fours and sixes) with one medium laser, max armor, and max jump jets. nasty short-range brawler that can close the distance well

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

andrew smash posted:

I run my Shadow Hawk 2D as an SRM and punch delivery system. I think the 2H should be able to do exactly the same, 2xSRM6, 1xSRM4, 1xMLaser, 2xSLaser, 4 jump jets and as much armor as you can get. I personally skimped on leg and rear armor. It'll run hot if you always jump around and alpha strike, but you should be able to fire off the SRMs constantly. Give it an Ace Pilot and watch your target cry as you rush in, hit it twice, and rush away before it gets a chance to beat you up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Reiterpallasch posted:

why is every story mission terrible

The first part of Raising the Dead is absolutely terrible, but the second half redeems it and is ridiculously fun. The Taurian dude going "OH gently caress THEY'VE GOT STAR LEAGUE MECHS" followed by shitstomping the poo poo out of some garbage dudes with a bunch of ancient wonderweapons is great.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
okay that one was good

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Pattonesque posted:

I made my Shadow Hawk an SRM bomber (some combination of fours and sixes) with one medium laser, max armor, and max jump jets. nasty short-range brawler that can close the distance well

I'm running my Shadowhawk like that with my main dude and blunderbuss SRM-ing fools in the face then punching fools in the face is never not fun. I'm feeling that SRM punchbot is going to be outclasses on higher (3+) difficulty missions but #yolo.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 3, 2018

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Every mech is good if you punch someone with it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bruceski posted:

There's not some way I'm missing to check contracts in adjacent systems other than if they pay for travel, is there? The flighht time from the jumpship gets a bit frustrating when the palce is empty.

Nope, there isn't. Just taking missions with travel contracts is the best way to insure work at the other end. Though sometimes planets with 2 travel contracts when you're somewhere else will have nothing once you get there and do the first job. :argh:

I'd really, really recommend hitting up BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants and changing "MaxContractsPerSystem" to 6, 8 or even 10. That way planets will actually have a decent roster of jobs to do. With 10 I seem to average 6 jobs in a system, though it sometimes takes a moment to generate the jobs when I first arrive and open the contracts panel.

Whoa hey, I just went and changed that contracts variable back up after patching, and it looks like the sell price modifier got massively nerfed, from the, IIRC, like 0.34 it was to 0.1024. Anyone notice that prices went waaaay down?

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 3, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
but the two after it are:
1) a ridiculously easy shitstomp where you spend about five minutes alpha striking individual mediums with assaults at no risk to yourself and thirty minutes sprinting your mechs across a huge map
2) a classic instant-loss condition defense map, which is near-impossible on your first attempt and a joke on your second, where you can lose on turn two if your weapons miss the near eastern APC, and the bonus objective appears to be actually impossible if you don't psychically know to vigilance-sprint a light into the teeth of an enemy formation on turn one

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arrath posted:

Nope, there isn't. Just taking missions with travel contracts is the best way to insure work at the other end. Though sometimes planets with 2 travel contracts when you're somewhere else will have nothing once you get there and do the first job. :argh:

Dang. I was earning my way to the system for my next story mission, so travel contracts wasn't an option, they all want to send me back to Weldry.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Dang. I was earning my way to the system for my next story mission, so travel contracts wasn't an option, they all want to send me back to Weldry.

Ah yeah bummer, bad beat on the missions.

:siren: Also that SRM6 variant with the erroneous -1 to accuracy wasn't fixed in the patch, folk's'll need to go back and fix that again.
AudioConstants wasn't touched in the patch so if you tweaked those delays they're still good.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 3, 2018

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So what are the ins and outs of ace pilot skill, it doesn't seem all that impressive? Can I shoot and then melee with it? Can I shoot and then embrace? Does sensor locking count as shooting? Having the ability to shoot then move seems very situational to me. :shrug:

Help me out here.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Arrath posted:

:siren: Also that SRM6 variant with the erroneous -1 to accuracy wasn't fixed in the patch, folk's'll need to go back and fix that again.
AudioConstants wasn't touched in the patch so if you tweaked those delays they're still good.
which variant is it?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

which variant is it?

Weapon_SRM_SRM6_1-Holly.json

The SRM6+ (extra damage)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Back Hack posted:

So what are the ins and outs of ace pilot skill, it doesn't seem all that impressive? Can I shoot and then melee with it? Can I shoot and then embrace? Does sensor locking count as shooting? Having the ability to shoot then move seems very situational to me. :shrug:

Help me out here.

Start out of los where no-one can hit you. Reserve down so you're the last one to move. Move in and blast someone at point-blank range (or DFA, or punch, or whatever).

Next round, blast someone again, then move back to your original position where no-one can hit you.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AttackBacon posted:

Range is the key. As you point out, in most ways SRM's are straight better. The thing about LRM's is I can put 60 of them on a Stalker and sit that fucker behind a mountain in my dropzone, never move him again, and have him do the most damage in the mission. You can boat LRM's in a way that you can't boat anything else because you can generally guarantee two things: A. Your LRM boat will always have a target in range and B. Your LRM boat will never get shot at. You don't need armor, you don't need jump jets, and you don't need backup weapons.

Add to that fact that while SRM's do more stability per ton, LRM's do more stability per hardpoint and that is a much more limiting factor than tonnage when missile boating. A LRM20 does 40 stability while a SRM6 does 18. A LRM20+++ does 80 stability damage while a SRM6+++ does 24. My 4x LRM15+++ Stalker can completely max out two assault mechs stability bars that are being piloted by endgame level pilots. That means I can guarantee two knockdowns a turn, easily, without putting my Stalker in any danger, as long as I have literally anything else that can do at least 1 point of stability damage per target.

Throw in multitarget. I can split my Jager missile boat's salvo of 50 missiles (2x LRM20, 2x LRM5) with additional stability damage at multiple mechs at once. I can split those against two mechs and get them unsteady then bring up my 3x AC5 Jager's multitarget to knock both of them down. Doing the same with a SRM boat will be difficult due to the lower amount of stability damage is spits out (even if it's more efficient by ton) and because it means having to be close enough to both targets that they can shoot back.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If I had to list my 5 favorite mechs from this game so far

1. Thunderbolt 5SE - It is a murderous brawler who can eat assaults for lunch if you build for alpha damage.
2. Hunchback - If you can get one early before assaults and heavies start showing up it is an excellent tank that can soak a ton of damage with Bulwark. With a competent pilot its AC-20 can one shot most lights and cripple the mediums you fight.
3. Grasshopper - Its a Shadowhawk on Steroids, I managed to build one to melee for 180 damage... plus like 7 support weapons that meant anything that got in close died. It is nasty and can pick off small mechs and put hurt on even bigger ones.
4. Highlander - It is an excellent sniping platform that also can do nasty DFA damage while not being as movement gimped as an Atlas and it can tank if you get the SLDF version I pulled off the Lostech for my energy boats as it stays pretty heat efficient even using single heatsinks
5. Centurion - You can build it into a nasty LRM Boat with more LURMS (I didn't do this), find an AC-20 and remake the Yen-Lo-Wang (Its good) or keep it a generalist who can contribute in every stage of the fight.

Honorable Mentions: Jenner-D (was useful until enemies stopped dropping in lights and it just doesn't have staying power to fight 2 lances at once in a battle), Atlas-K (I used it a lot late on, but it being so slow was always frustrating and made me mad) oh and finally Catapult K-1 I like PPC's and its a pretty good PPC platform if you bulk up your heat sinks by pulling out the kinda lovely backup mediums and machine guns.

In general I was surprised I usually ended up dragging around a lot of PPC's and Ballistics both of which were mechs I never really used in my few forays into TT Battle-Tech, while on MW:O I was almost exclusively a light pilot and I can't pilot assaults or heavies for poo poo, and after about a third of the way through the game I just stopped losing lights, especially my beloved Jenner.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 3, 2018

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jabor posted:

Start out of los where no-one can hit you. Reserve down so you're the last one to move. Move in and blast someone at point-blank range (or DFA, or punch, or whatever).

Next round, blast someone again, then move back to your original position where no-one can hit you.

AKA, it's situational at best.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Realistically, it's about as situational as "attack a guarded enemy with a single weapon instead of your whole alpha strike". Yes, you have to plan around it, but it's not very difficult to make work.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Most of the capstones seem weirdly tuned.

Like you have to take Multi Strike on every Mechwarrior. You'd be an idiot not to. It's way too loving good for cleaning up remaining dudes, dropping global evasion, etc.

Bulwark? Excellent if you just want to sit a 'Mech with a ton of armor in the middle of a fight and let the AI beat on them. Great way to set up flanks.

Sensor Lock? Real useful for the one mech you should grab it on, namely to see what's coming earlier/hit it with some long range stuff while it approaches.

Then you have Evasive Movement which feels like a sellout of a slot. You have an evasion cap, and if you are already going down Light Mech you'll be hitting it often. Does it even give +1 Evasion per Evasion proc, or just +1 Evasion total. Either way, why would you take it instead of MS/SL for your sole Light, because again, MS is SO ABSURD. Also while Evasion is great for the enemies, I notice if I go heavy with Evasion on my guys, the AI runs up to start meleeing him, which just negates the Evasion bonus entirely. It seems safer/better to just abuse Ace Pilot/playing smart for Lights then it does to try and rely on extra Evasion and actually playing with the team.

The Master capstones don't feel much better.

Breaching Shot? AI doesn't understand Breaching Shot, so will gladly bunker up and then get armor shredded by whatever heavy weapon you used on it. Outright breaks the game.

Juggernaut? Nice, but why not just grab Breaching Shot.

Ace Pilot? Real hosed up! Let's you fire then get your guys out of danger really quickly. Good option if you aren't going to get much use out of Breaching Shot.

Master Tech? I mean +1 Initiative is nice, but you are giving up Ace Pilot or Breaching Shot to grab it. So, uh. No!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Master Tactician is amazing because it means that your heavies go before their heavies and your assaults go before their assaults, which means that you can kill them or cripple them before they can shoot you. With Vigilance usage it can put your assaults into the medium phase and your heavies into the light phase.

I don't find Breaching Shot to be terribly useful on a lot of designs I run because I tend to run a lot of laserboats and missile swarmers which are reliant on volume of fire. It's absolutely amazing on your AC/20 guy, AC/10 guy, or your Gauss guy but otherwise not something I'd bother to take on literally everyone. Similarly I don't find multi-target to be terribly useful on brawler mechs because you often either don't have the range or the firing arc to meaningfully split your fire when you're knife fighting. It's really good for your mid range or sniper mechs and becomes downright sick later on when you've got an assault with a brick wall of weapons to split between targets.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 3, 2018

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Bruceski posted:

Check your navigation map for systems with a pirate presence, there should always be at least one or two jobs available there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My leg with several tons of LRM ammo gets shot off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PtrCYV6rE

:smugdon:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How do people equip their orions

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

terrorist ambulance posted:

I do AC20 +2 srm6/ 1srm6/2ml or 2 lrm15 + lrm 20 depending on the model

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

with guns

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

ded posted:

My leg with several tons of LRM ammo gets shot off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PtrCYV6rE

:smugdon:

My favorite thing is blowing up a mech's right torso, arm and leg, having them collapse in a heap...and then watching them stand up again next turn, using one arm and standing on one leg. Somehow. I assume mechs must practice yoga?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's kind of weird that there's zero penalty for standing up. Like if you get knocked down immediately before your turn then it doesn't mean anything whatsoever besides the wound you take from knockdown.

You'd think it'd like halve your movement at least or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

I've got an AC/20, 3 ML's and an SRM6 with one thing of ammo, like 5 heatsinks and tons of armor.

I also think there should be some extra penalty to getting knocked down. But I'm just salty at knocking over enemies and so often having them stand right up on the next phase/before I get to do what they do to me: whiteknuckling my way through 3 rounds of Call Shot: CT or Head as they pound the poo poo out of whoever I was stupid enough to let lose a leg.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 3, 2018