Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uhm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We all know what the Crown Jewels really are now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Thanks, Thanos

I popped pretty hard when Thor arrived in Wakanda. Just seeing him go nuts on the battlefield like in Ragnarok was great, but also Stormbreaker. I was spoiled on it months ago when I was walking by the toy section at Meijer. I assumed it was just as large as Mjolnir, but seeing it as that huge-rear end ax was dope.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just saw the Infinity War. Lots of good scenes, but it's so solidly a Part One that I don't feel I can call it a good movie until they stick the landing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

I gave him a 60/40 split of tolerable/insufferable, but I only ever saw it the one time.

Yea, that's what I'd put it at too. Like you'll be watching and something with happen and you'll go "oh that's kinda neat" and then it will instantly hit you with something dumb that's supposed to be cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The funnier version of that headline mentions he just had a third child.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

According to my iPhone, Thanos killed me.

According to my Android phone, Thanos spared me.

I’m Schroedinger’s Avenger!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Great: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Iron Man Three, Civil War, Ant-Man

Good: Captain America, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Iron Man

Okay: Thor 1, Thor 2, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Incredible Hulk, Avengers

Bad: Iron Man 2, Age of Ultron

Unseen: Spider-man Homecoming, Infinity War.

Winter Soldier loses points for the final act. GotG loses points having the lead and villains (and gets no points for the music). Avengers gets worse each time I watch it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Phylodox posted:

According to my iPhone, Thanos killed me.

According to my Android phone, Thanos spared me.

I’m Schroedinger’s Avenger!

My Android tried to drop a chunk of Sokovia on me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man I'm going to have to see IM3 again, I don’t remember thinking it was that good

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I thought GotG 2 played much better seen very soon after GotG 1, which makes sense anyway as they happen very soon after one another. One of the main complaints was that the Yondu/Peter stuff didn't feel earned in GotG 2, which I sort of get, but it came across perfectly fine in GotG 1, so pairing them together makes 2 much more emotional as opposed to if you watched all those other MCU movies inbetween.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Rewatching Civil War and man it is just not good. Especially post Infinity War. I remember it being sloppy but huge chunks of it are a sloooog.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 3, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it gets hard to quantify these since they're such a mixed bag of quality vs fun. Winter Soldier is probably the best MCU Film overall, but I'd rather watch a GotG or Ant Man over it most of the time.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Thanos left my wife a widow.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Unmature posted:

Rewatching Civil War and man it is just not good. Especially post Infinity War. I remember it being sloppy but huge chunks of it are a sloooog.

Which parts? Because every time I watch Civil War, it comes together better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Argue posted:

I thought GotG 2 played much better seen very soon after GotG 1, which makes sense anyway as they happen very soon after one another. One of the main complaints was that the Yondu/Peter stuff didn't feel earned in GotG 2, which I sort of get, but it came across perfectly fine in GotG 1, so pairing them together makes 2 much more emotional as opposed to if you watched all those other MCU movies inbetween.

GotG 2 is fine, but the Nebula/Gamora arc is a slog and I just couldn’t get into the Peter/Ego plot despite how much I like Kurt Russell. Yondu, Rocket, Drax, and Mantis really carry that film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Which parts? Because every time I watch Civil War, it comes together better.

Same.

Also Giant Man.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

He's right, we are using up our renewable resources by August each year and live the rest on using up reserves. Which will get worse when India and China and Africa will get richer and use up more resources too. On the other hand, more wealthy people have fewer children, meaning instead of 20 billion by 2050 that were predicted in the Seventies and Eighties, it's now expected we will be around 10 billion, maybe even fewer if the trend of poor countries rising out of poverty continues to speed up. If we can start living less wasteful, use more free energy from wind and sun and solve that pesky climate change problem by not behaving like the biggest idiots ever, we might be fine in the long run.

Thanos just should have wished everyone wealthy enough or Condoms For Everyone and the whole"problem" would have been solved!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanos hates standing in line more than anything else.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Decius posted:

He's right, we are using up our renewable resources by August each year and live the rest on using up reserves.

This is not a problem caused by 'too many people'. He is not right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

Man I'm going to have to see IM3 again, I don’t remember thinking it was that good
What I really liked about IM3 is that it wasn't setting anything else up. It was like, it was in the "continuity" but it was its own story, like a good arc in the comics, or how a James Bond movie is "of" James Bond and may refer to earlier films but is its own thing.

The story itself was also solid with some creative action. But really it's more that it stood out for not being blatantly An Installment.

Also Thanos slew me. You'll hear from the Fleet of Worlds, mister!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was spared.

Bless you, Thanos. Blanos.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is there anywhere to pre-order Blu-rays at a discount, like how amazon and bestbuy do with games?

Avenge me

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ghost crew! :ghost:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, that bit was great. Who ever mo-capped Ebony Maw seems like they had just the best loving time. He has all these little mannerisms going on in the background of every scene he was in.

The person who plays Ebony Maw is an Irish actor, Tom Vauhan Lawlor. He's pretty great.
His big break in Ireland was playing a ruthless inner city gangster (Nidge) in a TV show called Love/Hate.
He's particularly good since in real life he's incredibly posh sounding. I didn't know he was in this film until like a week before it came out.
His performance is great, though I thought he was trying to copy Domhnail Gleesons "British villain" voice from General Hux from the new Star Wars films.

As for His powers, in the comics Ebony Maw doesnt have super powers. He's supposed to be really good at talking. Like "can literally talk people to death."
But they depicted that as giving people commands which act like mind spiders inside their head.
I think they combined Maw with another member of the comics Cull Obsidian (Supergiant) who is a psychic and gave him her powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Question IRL posted:

The person who plays Ebony Maw is an Irish actor, Tom Vauhan Lawlor. He's pretty great.
His big break in Ireland was playing a ruthless inner city gangster (Nidge) in a TV show called Love/Hate.
He's particularly good since in real life he's incredibly posh sounding. I didn't know he was in this film until like a week before it came out.
His performance is great, though I thought he was trying to copy Domhnail Gleesons "British villain" voice from General Hux from the new Star Wars films.

As for His powers, in the comics Ebony Maw doesnt have super powers. He's supposed to be really good at talking. Like "can literally talk people to death."
But they depicted that as giving people commands which act like mind spiders inside their head.
I think they combined Maw with another member of the comics Cull Obsidian (Supergiant) who is a psychic and gave him her powers.

I was under the impression that movie Maw was a wizard just like Strange. Just an alien space wizard.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does anyone remember what the exact line from Starlord was when Strange asked, "Which lord do you serve?"

I know it was something like, "What?!? Do you want me to say Jesus?" but that isn't the exact line.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Iron Man Three rewatch report: still owns. Kid is still hilarious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Celine Dion just released her first english single in 2 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX11yw6YL1w

You're thinking, man, you posted this in the wrong thread. You'd be incorrect.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

Incredible.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

zoux posted:

It just keeps getting better as it goes on!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

It is gonna be weird watching avengers 3 become tge highest grossing movie of all time only to be toppled a couple months later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the thing: that song is kind of good?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow. That was unexpected.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Iron Man Three rewatch report: still owns. Kid is still hilarious.

The scene where tony goes "because we're connected" and drives off is one of the biggest laughs I've ever had in a marvel movie.

IM3 rules.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finally saw the movie. I also see there is about 1000 posts I need to catch up on. Anyway, I will write down what I thought of the movie and then go back to read the 1,000 posts which will probably change my opinion. Dunno if the spoiler rule is still on so I will just put the entire thing in a spoiler tag.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie in its epicness and importance. Unlike the first Avengers movie this one really felt like a grandscale everything is at stake story. It was smart to split the heroes up and give a wider range of locations to cover. Everything with Thor was great and I am glad they carried over Thor from Ragnarok. I really disliked the first 2 Thor movies and am pleasantly surprised that Thor ended up being my fave character in Guardians. I also loved his interaction with the Guardians and now want a Guardians and Thor movie (when they all come back).
I must admit I also give a mini fist bump when Cap first appeared. That was a great entrance for the character. Not too crazy on his Wakandan shields though.
Thanos was great and I love the pathos he has at what he sees is his duty. Brolin really sold the idea that Thanos doesn't enjoy what he sees as his task but rather sees what he does as necessary. The scene where he sheds a tear for Gamorra before throwing her off the cliff really sells the idea that Thanos sees himself (quite wrongly) as a force of a nature without a choice.
Some minor nitpicks. Three times in the movie the same plot beat happened and it got tedious. I am talking about this: hero says/implies that Thanos absolutely mustn't get the infinity stones that they have. Thanos threatens/is about to kill another hero and the first person gives him the stone to save the heroes life. It happens with Loki and Thor, Gamorra and Nebula, and Strange and Iron Man. I can buy that happening once but to have it happen 3 times just becomes tedious and lazy as far as a moment goes. Also twice a character asks another hero to end their lives if Thanos shows up and the same result happens (though in the case of Vision and Scarlet Witch she nearly succeeds).
Besides those things I thought everything was handled very well and I really enjoyed the film. I saw it with my wife who has only seen about 1/4 of the Marvel movies so she kept asking about the backstory about a lot of characters and where did the show up. Personally I am glad IW didn't spend a lot of time with exposition but I am curious about the experience of people who haven't seen every Marvel movie showing up for IW and seeing characters like the Falcon or Scarlet Witch and Vision for the first time

Anyway those are my thoughts. Now to backtrack and read all of yours.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As I recall, so maybe your experience was different, but I remember a ton of people being like "who cares about Thanos, I dunno how they're gonna make him matter" before the movie, and now he's this massive breakout character. He's all over social media with people making jokes and memes about him and he seems like a household name now. He really broke out into the cultural consciousness and that's crazy considering how many people were skeptical of a giant purple nutsack chinned CGI character.

I mean, you didn't see any Steppenwolf memes the weekend after JL came out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only JL memes I remember involved Superman's weird face and how stupid the Flash's running looked.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I was spared.

Anyone who has a Guardians film in their top 5 is terrible. I like both of them (1 more so than 2), but I don't get the love for them here. They both kind of drag in the middle, and Ant-Man is a funnier than both of them.

(Yes, yes, I know it's all subjective. You're all still terrible, especially Gavok. :colbert:)

I do hate that the end of IW is being shitted up by bad memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Infinity War doing so well at the box office makes it all the stranger that Civil War's legs were so weak. Maybe heroes vs. heroes just isn't as compelling a premise to the wider audience, I guess.

• Locked thread